Bonzo's at his best on?

boogie

Definitely Achilles Last Stand, In My Time Of Dying, When The Levee Breaks, and Kashmir.

Carouslembra is f'in bad ass too. In The Light, Sick Again, and Candy Store Rock ain't nothing to sneeze at either. Bonzo is super heavy on Darlene and Walter's Walk too. He sounds like a 700 pound ape hitting those drums on Walter's Walk as well as Wearing And Tearing. He really makes other drummers sound like mary f'in poppins. It so hard to pick just a few, there's also that smooth Fool In The Rain shuffle and then that killer hi-hat and kick drum action on South Bound Saurez. He's also CRAZY on the HTWWW versions of Black Dog and Since I've Been Loving You.

Yeha, that crazy ass part in Fool in the Rain, right before the guitar solo...so satisfying! B)

Pat's Delight. 1969. Pre-Moby Dick. His ability to keep that high-hat at perfect meter while dishing out triplets, quads, even quints will send any drummer running home to mommy. The syncopation is mind-blowing. Absolute command under complete fury and frenzy. Pity it never made an album. Wish I could share it with you. It would leave you utterly gobsmacked! :beer:

Pat's Delight. 1969. Pre-Moby Dick. His ability to keep that high-hat at perfect meter while dishing out triplets, quads, even quints will send any drummer running home to mommy. The syncopation is mind-blowing. Absolute command under complete fury and frenzy. Pity it never made an album. Wish I could share it with you. It would leave you utterly gobsmacked! :beer:

:o You stinker, you have everything! I have never even heard of that. :P

I was just listening to "Candy Store Rock, " and really digging the drums in that.

Damn you Ev!!!You have everything! :P But yeah,Pats Delight is great,and i've heard of it,in 1969 Moby Dick was called Pat's Delight from '68-'69,from '69-'77 it was Moby Dick,and from '77 + it was Over The Top.

Now Moby Dick in Albert Hall is perfect!He could play things most would consider physically impossible,he goes slow,then very,very,very,very,very FAST!I think it's called Pat's Delight because it resembles Bonzo's style of love-making (Just a hunch) it's called Moby Dick for probably the same reason and i'd imagine the same goes for Over The Top! (Actually it's called Moby Dick in tribute to Jason,Jason loved the book Moby Dick as a child and asked Bonzo to play "Moby Dick" Bonzo asked why he called it that and Jason said "Because it's big like Moby!".Bonzo loved that little guy!Pat was his wife of course) but Bonzo's at his best on the DVD Moby Dick,the way he just hammered that out so simple and ominous,and then orgasm is amazing!

• 1 month later...

My first post here....hi all!! Total Zephead needless to say. Particularly JHB. The only song he wasn't comfortable playing was black dog....he hated the timing. Unless you've heard the live stuff over the years, then this thread should really be titled 'which album song'....because the gigs really took his drumming to a whole different level. I have heard most of the live sets. Just like the rest of the band, every night was very different from him. You can really pick up on his mood from the nights he played. I personally believe the June 21, 1977 at the Los Angeles Forum, or famous 'listen to this eddie' bootleg would blow the minds of those who havent heard it. The drumming on thsts and sick again in particular....are as good as it gets...by any drummers standard. At this gig he literally incorporates his 'fastest' style of drumming into the whole set. If he would normally play a section in 8 time for example, he played it at 16, and so on. The intro to tsrts.....is truly remarkable. It is these nights that genuinely make him.....the best.

RIP Bonzo.

Ps. fav studio number.....impossible.....tooooo many!!!

Ps.2. People mentioning earlier in the thread about Good times bad times style drumming being sadly slim on the ground- see: I cant quit u babe very similar footwork in new dvd at the royal albert hall. Really excellent.

Excepting the times when Bonham was suffering from (cough) "food poisoning" -i.e. San Diego in 1977, Nuremburg in 1980- the man was ALWAYS at his best. In the studio, no question. Live, except for the aforementioned examples (and other similar infrequent occasions), even if Page was playing totally out of tune and every second note a bum one, and Plant barely had a voice to speak of, let alone sing (i.e. the vast majority of 1975), you could depend on John Henry to maintain the standard. And sometimes set them...and even excel them. There is no finer, IMO. And, for what it's worth, his kid did him proud at the 02 in December.

Sorry to be the one around here to argue, but yeah, argue I shall. For sure, 'Achilles Last Stand' has powerful drumming. But the album that Bonham demonstrated the greatest skill in terms of both raw power and technical finesse, is the first album.

Personally, the song that he does best that combines both power and finess is "Good Times Bad Times". I bet you didn't see that coming. The next best song, IMO is "How Many More Times".

Have another listen to "Good Times Bad Times". What is particularly outstanding about this song is the way Bonham does this intricate double kick pattern. You don't hear another Zeppelin song that matches it. For sure, it has the raw, thunderous power as do many other Zeppelin songs, but no song has such a perfect balance and power and intricate skill.

Listen to also the way the song starts, with Bonham starting off with a simple drum pattern with Jimmy's first chords, and as the chords are repeated, Bonham adds a classy little extra to his drum pattern with each chord repitition.

It just oozes class and sophisitication. Nope, this is his best drumming song.

Anyone care to argue? I bet heaps of you will. Lol.

this is an excellent arguement. one could stop right here. but i shan't.

"when the levee breaks".

there.

i said it.

someone had to.

(nods up to "tea41")

Besides the Obvious Candidates, Achilles,Moby, Rock N Roll..

He's got a real nice sound in a different vibe on something like

Dyer Maker...

The True Artistry of the Band as a Whole to me was always their range.

Ballads to Blasters... Rhythym to Soul... They had it all

Hmmmm...a truly great question. I don't think I can just pick one, but I have a few that truly stick out to me when I think of Bonzo's greatness.

Achilles Last Stand

The Rain Song

Dazed and Confused

Kashmir

Fool In The Rain

Good Times, Bad Times

In My Time Of Dying

...ok...more than a few, but i could keep going.

Bonzo FOREVER!!

Um how about 1970 Royal Albert Hall, Moby Dick drum solo.... I am a drummer myself, and I must say, that is one of the best drum solos I have ever heard in my entire life... Definitely gets my vote. I know it's not the entire band, but the title is "Bonzo's at his best on" So yeah, that one gets my vote. Achilles Last Stand is a kick ass song of course, but I don't know if it's his best. The live stuff definitely takes the whole dam cake.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you should say the first album.

I love "Achilles", "Levee", "In My Time" and the other suspects, but I remember one time many,many moons ago, a friend of mine (who was a drummer) played "I Can't Quit You, Baby"and told me to listen very carefully to what Bonzo was doing on the bass drum.

Now me, I'm in no way a musician, but I could hear him hitting the bass drum in quick 5 beat bursts and my friend said "People who can do triplets while working the snare and cymbals are f***ing good, but he's doing QUINTUPLETS!"

I don't want to date myself too badly, but let's just say that I was listening to it on vinyl at the time because thats what we had. And it still came through at you through the pops & hisses.

So I started listening to some of the more "quiet" bluesy passages on the rest of the album and I'll be damned if there wasn't a whole world of stuff going on that I never even noticed before.

Throw on the "BBC Sessions" version of "ICQYB" and give it a GOOD listen.

Then tell me I'm lyin'.

Archived