Band Of Brothers

Del Zeppnile

Actually, I thought the thread was also about the t.v series Band of Brothers.

I just picked up this DVD box set and have been watching it all week down in my basement entertainment room. This is one of the best WW2 movies ever.

It's really too bad however how we are loosing these guys at such a quick pace now. Sad how time goes by and things change. But I'm glad they made this great movie about them.

Just remembering some of they guys who served in my father's unit and are no longer with us:

Hence the subtitle "In honor of those who served" and not "the HBO miniseries"

What's your point Solar?

I never said the thread wasn't about what Del said. I merely said it was also about Band Of Brothers, since that is the part title.

He also wrote this:

I just picked up this DVD box set and have been watching it all week down in my basement entertainment room. This is one of the best WW2 movies ever.

What exactly are you trying to nitpick here? Or are you just trying to be an arse?

What's your point Solar?

I never said the thread wasn't about what Del said. I merely said it was also about Band Of Brothers, since that is the part title.

He also wrote this:

What exactly are you trying to nitpick here? Or are you just trying to be an arse?

Please - Please!

This is meant only to be a place to honor people. I'm sorry Mangani if I sounded abrupt in my post.

Please accept my apology and lets just not argue about this here...

Thank You

All well and good.................but personally I would rather see a 'band of brothers' type series featuring, say, German troops fighting through years on the Russian front but I know that will never happen but it would make a far more fascinating story. Imagine following German troopers going through Barbarossa, Moscow, Stalingrad, Kursk, Bagration, Berlin etc etc etc????? Wow, what a story THAT would be. :blink::o

I think it's about time we got to know about WW2 via 'other' perspectives. There were normal everyday people on ALL sides.

:angry::angry:The RIGHT-WING Fascists and Nazis (who copied from the Fascists!!) were 'normal' people.....I have SERIOUS doubts about that....or if you like it better, go tell that to the survivors and families of those who were BRUTALLY slain at Auswitz (I can't even pronounce that blasphemous thing! ) .....AND LET'S REMEMBER THAT BOTH WORLD WARS WERE STARTED BY RIGHT-WING IDEALS......NORMAL PEOPLE MY ASS :angry::angry::blink:

Well even back then they were in the minority. Look at how many nations DIDN'T stand up to the Fascists and Nazis and turned the other cheek....or even joined them. Even the Soviet Union was happy to take half of Poland alongside Hitler before he turned on them.

Funny how minority extremists have this amazing power to take control of a country. Sad really.

I had a greatuncle or something who died in Pearl harbor. Never met him obviously, but true story.

RIP WWII vets.

What about women who served? I know there weren't many women in the army, but they did help out as nurses and stuff. My aunt was a nurse in Vietnam.

That's so true Emma. There were many selfless women who gave so much of themselves for the greater good of mankind. We should not forget them either. I have read of some who dedicated so much of their time and were taken from us way too soon :(

My great grandfather died in europe during ww1 there is an american legion post in NJ named after him .usaCa.gif

That is a very nice tribute to your Grandfather.

My Dad was in WW2, the Korean War, The Phillipines, and unbeknowst to us he delivered tanks to Viet Nam.

He has lots of medals. ( that his gf stole from him/me.) Two Bronze Stars, a Silver Star, all kinds of good conduct, and a few more I do not know the names of.

He did not like to talk to us about any of the wars, but he did tell us about when his ship was hit by a Kamikazi ?and he was blown off. Many of his pals didn't make it, and he helped to save others.

I'm very proud of my Dad's service record.

That is a very nice tribute to your Grandfather.

My Dad was in WW2, the Korean War, The Phillipines, and unbeknowst to us he delivered tanks to Viet Nam.

He has lots of medals. ( that his gf stole from him/me.) Two Bronze Stars, a Silver Star, all kinds of good conduct, and a few more I do not know the names of.

He did not like to talk to us about any of the wars, but he did tell us about when his ship was hit by a Kamikazi ?and he was blown off. Many of his pals didn't make it, and he helped to save others.

I'm very proud of my Dad's service record.

I know what you mean. My dad hasn't talked alot about what and where they patrolled "Silent Service". I actually went aboard his boat one time when I was about 6yo when it was in port and I will never forget that day unless I lose my mind :blink::D any way this is a pic of his boat.

triton300.jpg

I know what you mean. My dad hasn't talked alot about what and where they patrolled "Silent Service". I actually went aboard his boat one time when I was about 6yo when it was in port and I will never forget that day unless I lose my mind :blink::D any way this is a pic of his boat.

triton300.jpg

Ohhhhh a sub?! Man, my last bf spent 9 years on sub duty, he was doing "secret spy" stuff during no war.

But the toll of being "under" for months on end was an incredible story!

What about women who served? I know there weren't many women in the army, but they did help out as nurses and stuff. My aunt was a nurse in Vietnam.

My uncle had a nurse who he only remembers as Nurse Debby. He doesn't recall her last name but he always says she was a babe.

Women have always been a part of the "Brotherhood" - I never meant to imply that they hadn't.

Thanks for reminding me Emma.

Here's a little info on the USS Triton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Triton_(SSRN-586)

Cool! I wish I remembered the name of his sub, it was nuclear too. He spent a good amount of time in...."that room"

He never had any kids too, makes me wonder.

He could've gone into nuclear engineering, but he said what he learned and saw was enough for him.

later....I gotta run. :wave:

And stuff would be putting it lightly. Those tough gals were building the ships and boats among other things while the boys were over there.

New Orleans: Home of the Higgins Boats

To win the war, the United States and its allies had to develop tactics and equipment to launch massive amphibious landings at sites ranging from Pacific atolls to the French coastline. The city of New Orleans made a unique contribution to this critical part of America's war effort.

New Orleans was home to Higgins Industries, a small boat company owned by the flamboyant entrepreneur Andrew Jackson Higgins. Higgins designed and produced a unique and ingenious collection of amphibious boats capable of delivering masses of men and equipment safely and efficiently from ship to shore, eliminating the need for established harbors.

His craft included amphibious LCTs, LCPLs, and LCMs along with PT boats, supply vessels and other specialized craft. But he is best known for designing and manufacturing thousands of LCVPs (Land Craft, Vehicle, Personnel), special craft designed to carry infantry platoons and jeeps to shore.

Higgins boats were used in every major American amphibious operation in the European and Pacific theaters, including D-Day in Normandy. Indeed, they were crucial to the success of those operations.

Higgins initially had difficulty getting the attention of the military. But with persistence and a superior product, he was soon competing with the more established shipyards of the Northeast. Higgins' designs won him huge government contracts and his tiny business expanded dramatically. In 1938, he operated a single boatyard employing less than 75 workers. By late 1943, his seven plants employed more than 20,000 workers.

The Higgins workforce was the first in New Orleans to be racially integrated. His employees including undrafted white males, women, blacks, the elderly and handicapped persons. All were paid equal wages according to their job rating. They responded by shattering production records, turning out more than 20,000 boats by the end of the war.

During the war, Higgins' name became indelibly tied to his landing craft. Men did not come ashore in LCVPs, they traveled in "Higgins boats." His achievements earned him countless accolades, but none was greater than the one he received from General Eisenhower. Higgins, Eisenhower said years later, "won the war for us."

The National World War II Museum displays a reproduction of a Higgins LCVP in its Louisiana Memorial Pavilion. This Higgins Boat was built from original plans entirely by volunteers-several of whom worked for Higgins Industries during World War II.

Only when the cause is TRULY noble of course....like getting RID OF RIGHT-WINGERS like we did in WW II!!! :) :) :) :) :)

You mean Hitler? Hitler was left-wing. Why do you think he's "RIGHT-WING"? Fascism is economically leftist. he was socially right-wing, but lkeft-wing in most other categories.

This is the second time we've had this little talk, and this time, how about you answer me on how he was RIGHT-WING and why you think left-wingers are so much better?

• 2 months later...

Archived