Band Of Brothers

Del Zeppnile

I just picked up this DVD box set and have been watching it all week down in my basement entertainment room. This is one of the best WW2 movies ever.

It's really too bad however how we are loosing these guys at such a quick pace now. Sad how time goes by and things change. But I'm glad they made this great movie about them.

Just remembering some of they guys who served in my father's unit and are no longer with us:

Pfc. Bill Beauchamp

Cpl. Paul Lester

Sgt. Tim Rehan

Col. Andrew S Cratchet Sr.

RIP

Yeah, definitely a good series, very much the same look and feel of "Saving Private Ryan" (which makes sense, since Spielberg & Hanks were producers).

You look at the obits in the Sunday paper, and there's like 5-10 WWII vets every time I look. I've seen estimates of between 1,000 and 10,000 dying every week, nationwide.

I understand that is a very good set. I couldn't watch it or Saving Private Ryan. A bit tooo graphic. It is very sad about the number of Veterans we are losing. We lost my Dad about 15 years ago and John lost his Dad year before last. They were both in the Army in the Pacific theater.

Yeah, time sure does fly. Even my brother who served in Nam is looking old these days.

My other nephew who served there passed away in Dec. '06 at age 59. :(

My landlord's brother was on Iwo Jima and he has a hand carved, banana shaped pipe with Japanese writing on it that he brought back as a souvenir. I told him he should donate it to the Marine Corps museum.

Marine yelling into cave on Saipan: 'Come out of there you buck toothed bastard!'

Jap Soldier (in perfect English): 'Fuck you, you souvenir seeking Yankee son of a bitch!'

:D

The next "Band of Brothers" series, entitled "The Pacific" is slated for a 2009 premiere on HBO. It will feature new characters and stories based off books written about certain battles during the Pacific campaign.

Referencing Saving Private Ryan, my aunt's father was on the first wave of boats to land on Omaha Beach, Normandy on D-Day. He shared some very touching and horrific things to me about that morning. When I asked him if he saw Saving Private Ryan, he said, "Yup, and that's what it was like. People, friends falling all around you. You're scared but you know you have to keep moving forward. The only thing running through your mind was 'don't get yourself killed'."

Great series, watched it at least 3 times, in fact I caught it about 6 months ago on the History Channel and it's something you see new things and angles in each time. Amazing cinematography and acting.

I'm so glad since Tom Hanks' efforts to bring our WW2 vets to the forefront in Saving Private Ryan and his passion for the movie these men are recognized after so many years.

My Uncle who is in his 80's now was in the Navy and at the Battle of Normandy. He rarely talks about it, it actually received metals that he never claimed, the purple heart being one. My cousins requested them from the military and gave them to him a few years ago. One story he told me was their ship would rescue soldiers from torpedoed/ air attacked ships, sometimes there wasn't time to get everyone. I can't even imagine. He had a hard time coming back to the states after, to this day he has night terror dreams about what he saw there.

I think Band of Brothers should be watched by all. It shows what the men and women give for our country, even their lives for our freedom and others freedom in other lands. It's an honor to serve this country.

I served in Iraq, which most people are disconnected from.

They don't even realize a real war is going on.

Hopefully, one day, they get this story right, and document it.

The Afghan war, too. My boyfriend's served in that one. He's been deployed a few times to Afghanistan.

I've said it before, DRUNK, thank you.

I have yet to see Band of Brothers, though I have wanted to for quite some time.In my mother's work with veterans over the years, she has seen many of them pass, and now, yes, more than ever. Those who served should be honored, and respected, never forgotten here or beyond.

The current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan should not be forgotten, either, nor should be those who have fought/are fighting/will fight. I have a relative deploying quite soon to Iraq; it's funny to think had my previous plans not been interrupted I would likely be the one there.

Thanks to all for their service.

I just picked up this DVD box set and have been watching it all week down in my basement entertainment room. This is one of the best WW2 movies ever.

It's really too bad however how we are loosing these guys at such a quick pace now. Sad how time goes by and things change. But I'm glad they made this great movie about them.

Just remembering some of they guys who served in my father's unit and are no longer with us:

Pfc. Bill Beauchamp

Cpl. Paul Lester

Sgt. Tim Rehan

RIP

What a moving tribute, Del.

Those men are heros.. one and all.

..as are all who serve to defend and preserve our freedoms and who fight oppression.

Pfc. Bill Beauchamp

Cpl. Paul Lester

Sgt. Tim Rehan

RIP

A touching, moving tribute to our truest heroes, Del. I think sometimes, the historians tend to overlook those who aren't around to tell their story, when their words are never truly lost...only hidden with the passage of time. <_<

Band of Brothers. Great series. Enjoyed the attempts at attention to detail particularly with regards to trying to replicate the German armour, especially the Tiger I, Jagdpanther and Stug IIIs.

As a knitpick and a smartarse, they obviously got some things wrong though. There were no Tiger Is at Nuenen (Holland, episode 4) and no Jagdpanthers on the approaches to Carantan (episode 3) At any rate, Jadgpanthers hull down in good positions would not have retreated in the face of a few mere Shermans. The Jadgpanther's more powerful gun and excellent frontal armour would have meant the Jagdpanthers engaging the Shermans at will and picking them off one by one with ease long before the Shermans would have been in range to worry a JP. Still as I said, in reality there were no Jagdpanthers at Carentan. 17th SS Panzer Division (Gots von Berlichingen) only had 40 odd Stug IIIs and a few Stug IVs so a bit of Hollywood (well HBO) artistic licence going on there and the point is moot.

Can't fault the rest of the series though. First class.

The next "Band of Brothers" series, entitled "The Pacific" is slated for a 2009 premiere on HBO. It will feature new characters and stories based off books written about certain battles during the Pacific campaign.

All well and good.................but personally I would rather see a 'band of brothers' type series featuring, say, German troops fighting through years on the Russian front but I know that will never happen but it would make a far more fascinating story. Imagine following German troopers going through Barbarossa, Moscow, Stalingrad, Kursk, Bagration, Berlin etc etc etc????? Wow, what a story THAT would be. :blink::o

I think it's about time we got to know about WW2 via 'other' perspectives. There were normal everyday people on ALL sides.

All well and good.................but personally I would rather see a 'band of brothers' type series featuring, say, German troops fighting through years on the Russian front but I know that will never happen but it would make a far more fascinating story. Imagine following German troopers going through Barbarossa, Moscow, Stalingrad, Kursk, Bagration, Berlin etc etc etc????? Wow, what a story THAT would be. :blink::o

I think it's about time we got to know about WW2 via 'other' perspectives. There were normal everyday people on ALL sides.

Check out Clint Eastwood's Flag of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima. He covers the American soldier's perspective in Flag, then the Japanese solder's perspective in Letters.

Though there is an old adage that history is written through the conquerors' eyes.

Archived