Who made Zep a Star, The UK or US

McSeven

Neither.

Led Zeppelin and the music made themselves stars.

What I meant was that one country really popularized them more than the other. Like I think that When the Beatles came to America, they really made the Beatles popular. I don't live in the UK. I actually live in Canada. We love Zep. I have even heard other friends of mine say that whenever people talk about Zep. There is this sort of sacredness about them. You don't really here that about other bands as much except The Beatles.

Mysterio

What I meant was that one country really popularized them more than the other. Like I think that When the Beatles came to America, they really made the Beatles popular. I don't live in the UK. I actually live in Canada. We love Zep. I have even heard other friends of mine say that whenever people talk about Zep. There is this sort of sacredness about them. You don't really here that about other bands as much except The Beatles.

Mysterio

The US, the UK paid them no mind at first.

despite their difference in population when in comparison.

the uk has an estimated population of: 60,776,238

and the u.s has an estimated population of: 301,139,947

normally in a scenario like this i would state the most obvious.

but i completely concur with reggie29's above statement.

they rose to fame through creating and producing their own music. sure the worldwide fans were always there for support, but really it's self explanatory because clearly their incredible influential music brought them fame.

It's common knowledge that the English press didn't take to kindly to them for whatever stupid reason.

The English punters knew how good they were and their albums were hits.

Although they only played sporadically in the UK, they played the US extensively from the outset so they obviously got more exposure in terms of concert appearances.

Interestingly, they apparently turned down Woodstock in favour of Texas?

The main thing is that they formed in the first place and the rest as they say, is history.

There's no question - the FANS in the USA made them the most popular band in the world.

Even the band themselves admitted as such.

Although the press in the U.S. gave them a hard time, the fans always came out in huge numbers to support them. Every state in the U.S. became a home to them while touring.

USA, USA, USA!!

There's no question - the FANS in the USA made them the most popular band in the world.

Although the press in the U.S. gave them a hard time, the fans always came out in huge numbers to support them. Every state in the U.S. became a home to them while touring.

USA, USA, USA!!

I think your doing it again...going overboard just to get a reaction? They had problems in the South and several of the 50 states never hosted a Led Zeppelin concert. Obviously,

their immediate success in America brought them fame and fortune. The UK, Japan and Europe weren't too far behind.

I see no comparison with The Beatles whatsoever. The Beatles cut their teeth in the clubs of Hamburg, Germany before returning to capture the hearts of their hometown.

They were also a singles band, at least initially and gained immediate fame in the US

through their appearance on a television program - The Ed Sullivan Show.

One theory to explain the craze of Beatlemania in the USA is that the country was reeling from the recent assassination of their idealistic, youthful President Kennedy

and was looking for an escape. The Beatles provided one.

Hi all,

Led Zepplelin In Their Own Words

compiled by Paul Kendall

Peter Grant:

Before we got the LP,we couldn't get work here in Britain.It seemed tobe a laugh to people that we were getting the group together and working the way we were.I don't want to name people who put us down and thought we were wasting our time,but there plenty of them.

The Beatles,were already a hit,to say the least in Britain,and Europe as well.They came to the US as headliners and played on "The Ed Sullivan Show",still one of the most watched programs of all time.(BTW, the population of the US either in 1964 nor 1968 was 300+ million! :rolleyes: )

Mr Grant,knew if Zeppelin want to make it,it was in the 'colonies',that's were it was at the time.Plus, he had been here before and knew what to do.Also Jimmy toured the US with the Yardbirds and they still had a rep here,but they were an opening act,radio stations just sarted playing LZ I,...

Finally,everone got their collective heads out of their arses and saw Zeppelin for what they were,...special.

To bring a parellel to the whole thing Jimi Hendrix,had to go to England to get his start,but came back to the US to -really- get his due,.....!

KB

Hi all,

I think your doing it again...going overboard just to get a reaction? They had problems in the South and several of the 50 states never hosted a Led Zeppelin concert. Obviously,

their immediate success in America brought them fame and fortune. The UK, Japan and Europe weren't too far behind.

I see no comparison with The Beatles whatsoever. The Beatles cut their teeth in the clubs of Hamburg, Germany before returning to capture the hearts of their hometown.

They were also a singles band, at least initially and gained immediate fame in the US

through their appearance on a television program - The Ed Sullivan Show.

One theory to explain the craze of Beatlemania in the USA is that the country was reeling from the recent assassination of their idealistic, youthful President Kennedy

and was looking for an escape. The Beatles provided one.

Hey Steve! Did my big fat feet step on your toes? :blink: I think we were typing at that same time,....sorry mate! :unsure:

If we tip a few pints together,then no worries? HA!HA!

I know the Beatles payed their dues,no argument here.Yet as Peter Grant said,they could not get arrested in the UK,except Cole and John,(not right,that was latter,...) But Zeppelin had to cut their teeth here,the US can be rough crowd,and since we had Elvis,Chuck Berry,Fats,Bill Haley,,Buddy Holly and all the bluesman that seemed to be forgotten during the 60's,well,we kind knew our s#!! :)

I guess I'm buying next time your in Boston? :lol:

KB

I think we were typing at that same time,....sorry mate! :unsure:

KB

Oh, were good. I'm just saying comparing Led Zeppelin to The Beatles in almost any regard is apples to oranges. Different backgrounds, different group dynamic, different management styles, different demographics. Their paths to glory. Apples to oranges I say.

October 15, 1968: Led Zeppelin performs its first show, at Surrey University in England.

November 13, 1968: Atlantic Record announces its signing of a “hot new English group” named Led Zeppelin.

February 15, 1969: The hotly anticipated, self-titled debut album by Led Zeppelin enters the album charts, ultimately reaching #10.

December 6, 1969: Led Zeppelin enters the Top Forty with “Whole Lotta Love,” which reaches #4. It is this album-oriented band’s highest-charting single.

December 27, 1969: ‘Led Zeppelin II’ tops the U.S. album charts for the first of seven weeks; it will reach #1 in the U.K. in February 1970.

www.rockhall.com/inductee/led-zeppelin

09/01/1969 Fillmore West - San Francisco, CA

10/01/1969 Fillmore West - San Francisco, CA

11/01/1969 Fillmore West - San Francisco, CA

12/01/1969 Fillmore West - San Francisco, CA

Led Zeppelin's 1968/1969 tour of North America was the first concert tour of North America by the English rock band. The tour commenced on December 26, 1968 and concluded on February 15, 1969.

For this stint of concerts, Led Zeppelin played as the support act for bands such as Vanilla Fudge and Iron Butterfly, both of which were also contracted to Atlantic Records. However, as the tour progressed, it became apparent that Led Zeppelin was easily outshining the headline acts. As guitarist Jimmy Page explained:

“By the time we reached San Francisco, the other groups on the bill just weren't turning up.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_North_American_Tour_1968/1969

4/27/1969 San Francisco, CA

Train Kept a Rollin', I Can't Quit You Baby, As Long as I Have You, You Shook Me, How Many More Times, Communication Breakdown, Killing Floor, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, White Summer/Black Mountain Side, Sitting and Thinking, Pat's Delight, Dazed and Confused

The tape starts with Plant mentioning that it is their last night in San Francisco. The beginning of Train Kept a Rollin' is met with shouts of "yeah! yeah!" from one excited audience member. Plant adlibs new lyrics about San Francisco during I Can't Quit You Baby.

There is a pause before As Long as I Have You while Bonzo repairs his broken snare drum, during which someone in the crowd requests You Shook Me. What follows is an As Long as I Have You of epic proportions. The first version of this song I ever heard and still my personal favourite, it has definitely developed into a major centerpiece of the live show. A perfect venue to showcase the improvisational abilities of each member of the band. Plant's voice is a bit rough around the edges during You Shook Me, but his harmonica solo is bluesy and dynamic.

How Many More Times is one of my personal favourite versions. The atmosphere is loose and lends itself to some excellent and very interesting improvisation from the band. There is an amazing funky groove immediately following the bow solo. The "got you in the sights..." section includes an excellent heavy jam, complete with some strange lyrics from Plant (apparently trying to get around singing the final "gun!"). The first set ends with a mid-show encore of Communication Breakdown as requested by someone in the audience.

The second set starts with a loose and funky Killing Floor, including new lyrics from Plant, whose voice seems to get rougher as time goes by. A somewhat subdued Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is followed by White Summer/Black Mountain Side. Sitting and Thinking is played as a loose blues improvisation. Someone in the audience shouts for Pat's Delight before Plant introduces Bonzo. The drum solo itself is rather dull. The show ends with a somewhat sluggish Dazed and Confused. Despite the subdued second set, this is definitely a must hear. No collection is complete without this show.

The tape is an excellent soundboard recording with a slightly muffled audience recording filling the gaps.

yearofledzeppelin.blogspot.com/2008/01/day-16-4271969-san-francisco-ca

So let me get this straight.

The only reason Zep became famous throughout the world is because they played mostly in the US, in the early days?

The fact I and others from many countries on the planet had heard and / or bought the music before they actually did a full blown tour anywhere, had no bearing on them becoming famous?

Correct me if I'm wrong but apart from a few European and select US gigs as The New Yardbirds, Zep didn't fully tour the US in their own right until Led Zeppelin I had been released there.

Logic dictates that the only people who made Led Zeppelin famous was the band themselves with all the talent therein and, Peter Grant.

I think what you mean to say is playing in the US made them rich (see previous comment) and I agree.

Hi Reggie29,

So let me get this straight.

The only reason Zep became famous throughout the world is because they played mostly in the US, in the early days?

The fact I and others from many countries on the planet had heard and / or bought the music before they actually did a full blown tour anywhere, had no bearing on them becoming famous?

Correct me if I'm wrong but apart from a few European and select US gigs as The New Yardbirds, Zep didn't fully tour the US in their own right until Led Zeppelin I had been released there.

Logic dictates that the only people who made Led Zeppelin famous was the band themselves with all the talent therein and, Peter Grant.

I think what you mean to say is playing in the US made them rich (see previous comment) and I agree.

The thread asked in the origial,who made them stars,the UK or the US,,...

Ask your self this,when starting out,and trying to find a place where did the band tour the most?

read the above posts,....

KB(owes Steve more that 10 pints! :o )

Hi Reggie29,

The thread asked in the origial,who made them stars,the UK or the US,,...

Ask your self this,when starting out,and trying to find a place where did the band tour the most?

read the above posts,....

KB(owes Steve more that 10 pints! :o )

Hi Zepyap,

I have read all the posts and the original question is rather odd.

Whom makes anyone a star?

The comments almost say, that if it weren't for America no-one would have heard of them which is ludicrous.

Now I need a drink! :D

I was wondering who made Zep a Star. Was it the UK, or the US. I think it was the US. Anyone know the real scoop.

Mc7

Who cares.... anyway my dad's bigger than your dad...so there..lol.

Page has said in interviews that the Americans welcomed them with open arms and credits much of Zeps success to the US while the UK took some time to follow.

I believe they played the majority of their gigs in the USA also

USA, USA, USA!!

I stand by my assertion, the U.S. made Zeppelin a house-hold name. No Question. Radio play here was enormous from LZ 1 thru ITTOD...ENORMOUS I say!

Right up to this day...classic rock radio makes a living on Zep tunes - in any state.

Page has said in interviews that the Americans welcomed them with open arms and credits much of Zeps success to the US while the UK took some time to follow.

I believe they played the majority of their gigs in the USA also

Exactly. Steve a Jones....it's the truth babe.

Archived