flip floping fav. bands

boogie

zep is my fav. band but the beatles are also. when the beatles are on, i wonder how there could be anything, musicaly better. i'm "into" it more than anything else. until i hear zep. then i think, how could anything sound better?. i put on a beatles cd, then 5 or 6 more, right in a row. i know every beat of every song, every word. as well as my own name. then i always end,up putting on zep, and, of course zep ends up my fav again. but the beatles are so close there's almost no diff.

anyone else have such a close call for fav. band?

please educate me. who the hell are the flaming lips? and these bands are so close it's hard to pick for you?... pearl jam, nice,..... tool, moving up.... do you Feel these bands In you?

Well, The Flaming Lips started out as a sort of punk band in the early 80s, but they've moved on to psychedelic alternative rock, they're very creative. They have 12 albums out as of now. Probably one of the most creative things they did is sell an album where you have four cds and each contains a different channel, so it's meant to played simultaneously on four different systems or mixed by the consumer. I'd say they're heavily influenced by early Pink Floyd and Beach Boys.

You kind of have to hear them for yourself to figure out what the deal is.

As for why they're all close, all of their music really gets into me and grabs ahold of me and I just can't stop listening, you know?

The Beatles pretty much have the top spot just like they have for years. I really don't see any other artist taking their place.

Other artists in my ever changing list of favorites:

R.E.M.

Bob Dylan

Little Feat (Lowell George era)

Led Zeppelin

Lynyrd Skynyrd (pre-crash)

Whiskeytown

Pearl Jam

Drive-By Truckers

Grateful Dead

Bob Marley & the Wailers

Jimmy Buffett & the Coral Reefer Band

Yes the Beatles are great, Zeppelin great,Stones great,Floyd great,Eagles great pic Liz, Hey Jahfin another Parrot Head here :thumbsup:

I can't define any single band, I think it's the present mood that makes us choose our music of the moment.

Isn't music in general just Fanfreakintastic! :cheer:

The Beatles pretty much have the top spot just like they have for years. I really don't see any other artist taking their place.

Other artists in my ever changing list of favorites:

R.E.M.

Bob Dylan

Little Feat (Lowell George era)

Led Zeppelin

Lynyrd Skynyrd (pre-crash)

Whiskeytown

Pearl Jam

Drive-By Truckers

Jimmy Buffett & the Coral Reefer Band

youv'e mentioned drive by truckers, a lot. i don't know them. recomend a good first album.

Hey Jahfin another Parrot Head here :thumbsup:

No offense but I'd never refer to myself as a "Parrothead" (or a "Deadhead" or a "Ledhead" for that matter). I like all of those artists but my fandom isn't limited to just one of them. Way back when I didn't mind "Deadhead" so much, then a whole bunch of people with the wrong idea starting showing up at their concerts and quickly gave that term a bad name.

youv'e mentioned drive by truckers, a lot. i don't know them. recomend a good first album.

First of all, let me say they're not for everybody so you may find that they're not to your liking. You can sample some of their tunes by looking them up on YouTube and by checking out their MySpace site:

http://www.myspace.com/drivebytruckers

All of their tunes on their MySpace site are from their newest album, Brighter Than Creation's Dark. I love that record but am not sure I would recommend it to those new to the Truckers. My favorite is their debut, Gangstabilly but I would recommend Decoration Day as a great starter album as it is perhaps their most well rounded effort yet. It may also be worth pointing out that the Truckers have been through a number of line up changes over the years which has definitely affected the sound of each of their albums.

No offense but I'd never refer to myself as a "Parrothead" (or a "Deadhead" or a "Ledhead" for that matter). I like all of those artists but my fandom isn't limited to just one of them. Way back when I didn't mind "Deadhead" so much, then a whole bunch of people with the wrong idea starting showing up at their concerts and quickly gave that term a bad name.

yeah I never went for those pet names myself, where the hell did that term come from anyway? I've seen Buffett long before I ever heard that term. :rolleyes:

yeah I never went for those pet names myself, where the hell did that term come from anyway? I've seen Buffett long before I ever heard that term. :rolleyes:

I believe legend has it that Timothy B. Schmidt coined it at show in Cincinnati back in the late 80s. To clarify, I don't really have a problem with the term "Parrothead" itself but what terms like that imply. In other words, I have no problem being seen as a Jimmy Buffett fan but I'm also a fan of a lot of other artists too. That said, I think there's a lot to be said of Buffett's work prior to "Parrothead" being coined. I still love his work but prefer his early albums best. He still shows impeccable taste in cover material but it seems Jimmy Buffett the songwriter has long since left the planet. Unfortunately a lot of folks want to pigeonhole him with songs like Margaritaville, Fins, Cheeseburger In Paradise, etc. when he has such outstanding works to his credit such as He Went To Paris, A Pirate Looks at Forty, I Have Found Me A Home, I Wonder Why We Ever Go Home, Nautical Wheelers and many, many others. Sure, I love Buffett the court jester but I also love his more serious works which are sadly overlooked because he is misperceived as a writer of "novelty" songs.

The "big 3", Beatles, Zep, Stones(68-75) will probably be my big 3 'til my grave. If it was the big 4 then Floyd would be right there. Other ear orgasms are...

Pearl Jam

Tragically Hip

R.E.M.

Soundgarden

Steve Earle

Richard Thompson

etc.

etc.

etc.

Could go on forever.

My top band was always Zep and will always be. but it's the second favorite band that been flipflopping.

Tool

Pink Floyd

Metalica (not as much any more)

Steely Dan

Dave Matthews Band.

Rush

I would put Tool in 2nd now, but i always love Floyd, so it's hard to say they are not 2nd worthy.

zep is my fav. band but the beatles are also. when the beatles are on, i wonder how there could be anything, musicaly better. i'm "into" it more than anything else. until i hear zep. then i think, how could anything sound better?. i put on a beatles cd, then 5 or 6 more, right in a row. i know every beat of every song, every word. as well as my own name. then i always end,up putting on zep, and, of course zep ends up my fav again. but the beatles are so close there's almost no diff.

anyone else have such a close call for fav. band?

I don't really see the point in making it a contest, but I've recently come to realise that I love Led Zeppelin and Manic Street Preachers equally. Partly for different reasons, but they both just mean so much to me that they can share the love.

Led Zeppelin tops my list, no question about it! AC/DC quickly follows.

Others: Guns N' Roses, Chuck Berry, Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Scorpions, Deep Purple.

Zeppelin is my favorite, and I listen to them most (primarily live), but I also enjoy:

AC/DC

Black Sabbath

The Who

Elvis

Pink Floyd

Pearl Jam

Rush

Mozart

and Bagpipe music (Irish or Scottish, don't care)

Sometimes, I'll through a little Iron Maiden or Judas Priest in there.

Archived