Meeting the band....

olster

Many thanks, Al! So it was May 30th 1998. They were making a pilgrimage to many of

the sites connected to the Delta Blues during this leg of the tour, with Robert behind the wheel. They visited the blues museum in Clarksdale the next day. Thanks again!

Don't know about Jimmy, but Robert continues to be a big supporter of the museum. The last time I was there, which was last July, the staff told me he'd been there just a few weeks earlier, and they clearly regarded him very highly and valued his support. They also said that when he and Jimmy visited together back in the WIC days (the 1998 period ^), that Jimmy seemed very shy by comparison!

Don't know about Jimmy, but Robert continues to be a big supporter of the museum. The last time I was there, which was last July, the staff told me he'd been there just a few weeks earlier, and they clearly regarded him very highly and valued his support. They also said that when he and Jimmy visited together back in the WIC days (the 1998 period ^), that Jimmy seemed very shy by comparison!

Very interesting. Perhaps he stopped by in April 2007 when he was over in New Orleans

working on the track 'Valley Of Tears' with the Soweto Gospel Choir for a Fats Domino

tribute cd. Further back, in November 2006, he drove from Nashville, TN to Tutwiler, MS

and played harmonica at the grave of Rice Miller (a.k.a. Sonny Boy Williamson). Anyway, I show he started visiting the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale as long ago as 1993.

I went back early last year on vacation and we stayed at the Hopson Plantation in Clarksdale for a couple of nights as part of our Blues / Zep Pilgrimage .Checked out the Bridge to Helena Arkansas and

also went to the Museum and a few clubs .I talked to the owner of Hopsons and He said Robert had been there a little earlier no specific dates when I get home I will try to call and ask him if He remmebers when.If it was 05 06 07 are what. At the time I did not know if He was bullin Me .What happened is I had My sleeveless shirt on and He could see My Tattoos of Led Zeppelin and volenteered that He had Met Robert at His Hotel.This is by far not a four star Hotel so I dont Know if He stayed .He did kind of complain about Robert and Led Zeppelin ripping off the Blues which I defended them and He chilled.From there the Blues/Rock pilgrimage continued to Memphis Tn Graceland and Beale street for a week. Good trip plan to go back next year.

Steve / Aquamarine that is real near the time of My Vacation which I still have not got home to check the exact dates but I will.I bet that was the trip He stopped at Hopsons.

Steve / Aquamarine that is real near the time of My Vacation which I still have not got home to check the exact dates but I will.I bet that was the trip He stopped at Hopsons.

I got the impression it was around that time. He'd visited a number of places (restaurants etc.) in Clarksdale.

I should mention that I gathered he helps to support the museum financially too.

I got the impression it was around that time. He'd visited a number of places (restaurants etc.) in Clarksdale.

I should mention that I gathered he helps to support the museum financially too.

I agree I am sure He does the Guy from Hopsons was proably not well informed.I liked the place even though its a little sleezy .I played My Guitar on the front porch of the shanty we stayed in for hours .Its built like old time slave quarters.I know you got your picture took at the Crossroads

I agree I am sure He does the Guy from Hopsons was proably not well informed.I liked the place even though its a little sleezy .I played My Guitar on the front porch of the shanty we stayed in for hours .Its built like old time slave quarters.I know you got your picture took at the Crossroads

And outside the museum. :ph34r:

None of them, most people take care to avoid Michigan.

Awww! :console:

I spent a week in Detroit one day... just kidding. I actually spent a week in Detroit once, I enjoyed it. So there.

(Sorry, off topic.)

Met JPJ backstage at the O2 show. See my avatar for "source". Also met Jason and family at the same party. Funny thing is I was getting ready to leave the "backstage bar" party when a friend convinced me to stay for one more drink. If I had not stayed, I would have never met those guys. Also met Chad Smith (RHCP) and Tera Patrick (Adult Film star) her husband, who is in biohazard, I think, was also backstage. Other than that, not a ton of celebs backstage from what I saw. This was not the party at Indigo, but rather a party on the second or third floor of the O2, where they had hosted a private dinner before the show. Perhaps Indigo was a different scene with more see and be seen folk. This party was incredibly relaxed. Camera battery died but at least I got 5 or 6 pics back there.

I was working security at a bluegrass festival in Boulder, CO a few years back and JPJ showed up with his fiddle. He wasn't in any of the bands, he was just looking to jam with someone. I almost didn't recognize him at first with the short hair, Very nice guy though. Wish I had my camera.

• 2 weeks later...
Very interesting. Perhaps he stopped by in April 2007 when he was over in New Orleans

working on the track 'Valley Of Tears' with the Soweto Gospel Choir for a Fats Domino

tribute cd. Further back, in November 2006, he drove from Nashville, TN to Tutwiler, MS

and played harmonica at the grave of Rice Miller (a.k.a. Sonny Boy Williamson). Anyway, I show he started visiting the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale as long ago as 1993.

HOPSON1.jpg

HOPSONINN.jpg

Hi Steve here is the post card and a magnetic buisness card I got from my trip to Clarksdale Robert visited this location late 2006 I believe

• 2 weeks later...

Dang, I've been away from the computer for too long; this is the first time I've seen this thread. I love this topic and hearing all your stories. Can I add all of you to my "Friends List"? B) Then I can at least say "my friend met Jimmy Page (Robert, etc)......" since I never have and surely never will. :beer:

This was posted in the Photo of yourself thread but it seems it should be here so excuse the repost.

Had breakfast with Clive Deamer in Nashville whole conversation revolved around a lady being killed in California by a Shark while swimming with Seals .He does some diving now and then and i am ex navy

great breakfast conversation no we didnt talk about music other than just before heading our sepearte ways i told him they put on a great show the night before. Then it was off to meet Robert

This picture was taken with the camera in video mode by Robert's verry pretty friend by accident so i didn't get as good a picture as i wanted.This is like the fifth time i had met him since my first time in 73

in New Orleans and my only picture have a stack of autographed stuff and no Robert i would never put it on Ebay thats a inside joke but i will share .Some guy comes up and interupts us he wants Robert to sign a armload of stuff.Robert got verry irritated and told him no he had signed stuff for him 3 times already and he did not want his stuff on e bay.I thought he was talking to me and i told him no way Robert would i ever do that .He looked right at me we were standing next to each other getting a picture took and said no not you that one.I was so relieved imagine one of my main Idols thinking i would ebay his stuff heck no never.Then we asked him why he didnt play New Orleans he said there was no venue suited for what he wanted to play .We suggested the Sanger Theater he said it was being rennovated.This was just a few months before the Hurricanes took out all the venues in the area.We all said goodbye and another moment with Robert was done .To add to the story the night after the show Robert dashed into Robert's Country Bar and took up residence with his band and a few insiders of which i was not one.Well i found a conor stool by the bottom of the stairs and ordered a beer.there was a bouncer gaurding the stairs big guy.I from my spot could see Robert dancing and enjoying himself upstairs its a open room.Anyway the stories people told to try to get up the stairs and the things some of the girls offered were verry intersting i thought they quit doing that in the 80's guess not.Then of course there is the one's who tried force.There was only 2 one little guy bouncer slammed him and sent him on his way.I had asked about a autograph was told Robert was taking a needed day off from that and it would not happen and i was cool with that heck its not like i really needed it for my collection .

Next thing we know this huge Biker looking fella far scarier than me are my new bouncer friend were.

Well he says he is parked out back and has to go out that way.The bouncer tells him to go out from street level out that back door and points .He says no i always go that way and thats the way i am going.

Then after a few minutes of heated disscussion on the matter the guy decides he is going well if any of you ever read a comic its kind of like the Hulk and the Mighty Thor going at it and i am stuck in the conor being crushed behind them.Well partly out of self preservation and partly out of duty to Robert i saw the guy ball up his fist which by the way was nearly as big as my head.I new if they started swinging i would be unable to avoid a bashing so i wrapped both arms around his arm and with everything i had managed to keep the one arm locked up until the rest of the bouncers could get over there.The bouncer told me he was paid several thousand dollars to do the gig he earned it.Well John Baggot the keyboard player saw the whole thing or at least i guess he did he came over and talked to me .I showed him my Zep tattoos and asked him to sign a cd cover he did.Then he asked if Robert had signed it i told him Robert was not signing anything today or at least that was what i had been told.

He told me he would get it for me as he had a inside connection with Robert so off he went and he handed it to Robert well then Robert shook his head no and he then said something in his ear i assumed he told about the inncident he then smiled waved at me and signed it.When i saw him the next day i did not mention it to him. please excuse spelling or grammer errors i have not wrote this much in years. My gosh these picture's forced me to go on a diet and start working out again and have lost 30 pounds so far still working on it my motto eat less move more i think i stole that from someone maybe Walton and Johnson

This is the tattoo I showed John

blurrytattoo.jpg

This is the Bar where Me and My Friend Robsmayqueen I believe is her Name on here were at when this happened.I will let Her tell Her view on it when She is ready Love Ya Sweetheart.This is the upstairs were Robert was having his get together with His band and select Friends.

THEUPSTAIRSAREAWEREROBERTANDTHEBAND.jpg

GUYSTANDINGINMYSPOT.jpg

Down where that fella is standing is where I was at and the Bouncer and this Big Burly dude and Sharon not sure what happened to phyllis.

VIEWFROMOURROOMNASHVILLE05RYMANTHEA.jpg

This is the Venue from our Hotel . The Red Building is the Ryman Theater. Original Home of the Grand Ole Oprey.Robert said He waited Thirty Years He had tried to get in thier for 30 years and someone left the back door open.This was somewhat true He actually went in the side door and He came out of a van

made one large step and He was gone.He did leave out of the back door.He then went straight across the alley and in the backdoor of Robert's Country Bar where all the excitement occured.

The Ryman Stage prior to the show We took a backstage tour no pictures allowed but it was cool.

THESTAGEATTHERYMANBEFORETHESHOW.jpg

ROBERTSUPSTAIRSPARTYSPOT.jpg

Sharon and Phyllis Robert's Country Bar the Day after the Show and afterparty.

RYMANUPSTAIRS05.jpg

The Rymans Famous Staind Glass Windows

opryrymanonstage.jpg

Cheryl and Me on the stage posing for a picture in 2007 in the exact spot Robert stood also 100's of other Legends

Justin Adams Roberts Guitarist and Me behind the Ryman Theater 2005

JUSTINANDME05NASHVILLERYMANTHEATER.jpg

Clive Deamer Roberts Drummer and Me after eating breakfast day after show.

CLIVEANDMEAFTERBREAKFASTNASHVILLE.jpg

I met Jimmy and Robert briefly in May of 1998 (Clarksdale Tour in Charleston, SC). A friend was a local dj and did a radio interview with them. I got to go to soundcheck prior to the show.

I met JPJ in Atlanta in March, 2000 (Zooma tour). He talked with a few of us after the show for a good bit.

I met Jason and his band (Tony Catania, John Smithson and Chas West) as a friend's band, Evergreen, opened for them (in May of 1997) in Columbia, SC (Rockafella's). We hung out and talked for a few hours after the show.

I've never met JB (RIP).

R B)

ROBERTPLANTANDSTRANGESENSATIONSRYMA.jpg

Here is My autographed ticket signed the day after the Show in front of the Hotel.

ROBERTPLANTANDSHARONANDMENASHVILLE0.jpg

Robert and Sharon and Me .The actual Videos are posted on My myspace page you can get there from my profile for the new folks.

DSC01492.jpg

Here is one of My cd covers the Band including Robert signed the night of the Show

This was posted in the Photo of yourself thread but it seems it should be here so excuse the repost.

[...]

I really enjoyed reading your story - it was new to me and very interesting!

You don't need to apologize for your writing - I actually like the stream of consciousness feeling to what you wrote. As I was reading what you wrote, I felt as if you were talking and I got carried along with what you were telling us. My fault is that I am sometimes overly conscious of what I'm writing to the point where the feeling is gone from it. Other times, especially when I'm writing about Zep, and I start thinking back on things, I revert to writing like a young teen-ager.

Archived