March 1973...what got into Bonzo!?!

Mattmc1973

Many agree that Europe March '73 is Zeppelin at their instrumental best. But what's intriguing to me especially is Bonzo, and more specifically is playing Dazed & Confused in those shows. He plays rolls, funky rhythms, fills, and time signatures that month that he never played before, or after, that month. I guess I'm just wondering why? What got into him that he wanted to pull out all the stops during Dazed in those shows, and then never did it again. Listen to Dazed from Essen on 3/22 to see exactly what I mean...

Any chance they were seeing or listening to James Brown in this period? Certain 72-73 LZ musical events remind me of the Bootsy era. I DL'd a killer show from Paris 1971.

Any chance they were seeing or listening to James Brown in this period? Certain 72-73 LZ musical events remind me of the Bootsy era. I DL'd a killer show from Paris 1971.

I'm sure they were! There were James Brown references in those shows, most notably Robert yelling "Do the James Brown!!" while the boys were laying down a funky groove.

Yeah, it's around that time (between Europe and America) that they went from a Crunge (James Brown) groove to San Francisco. Guess they felt the West Coast would better respond to that. B)

I'm sure they were! There were James Brown references in those shows, most notably Robert yelling "Do the James Brown!!" while the boys were laying down a funky groove.

ah ha. following the trail of clues that lead from the "Do the James Brown" I see. I think I'm finally ready for 1973. I have Stoke on Trent which is listenable or unlistenable depending on my mood, and Tampa..ditto Been hearing for years that the end of Europe 73 is a special time.

ah ha. following the trail of clues that lead from the "Do the James Brown" I see. I think I'm finally ready for 1973. I have Stoke on Trent which is listenable or unlistenable depending on my mood, and Tampa..ditto Been hearing for years that the end of Europe 73 is a special time.

Stoke is considered one of the best soundboards available, and a pretty good show too...but March '73 in Germany is a whole 'nother level. Dazed & Confused and the Whole Lotta Love medley from those shows highlight a band totally on fire. Instrumentally, Jimmy and Bonzo were never better, before or after. Vienna, Essen, Offenburg, Munich...all awesome.

Nuremberg and offenburg are my fav's!!! but everythings that is available, even the france shows, are amazing from that period. like someone posted earlier, and like i have also believed to be true, is the lack of moby dick gave bonzo a lot of energy when it came to the show...especially dazed and confused. Compare the drumming of dazed and confused in 1975 when dazed followed moby dick.....bonham sounded tired and uninspired.....actually so did jimmy for the most part lol.

cheers

Stoke is considered one of the best soundboards available, and a pretty good show too...but March '73 in Germany is a whole 'nother level. Dazed & Confused and the Whole Lotta Love medley from those shows highlight a band totally on fire. Instrumentally, Jimmy and Bonzo were never better, before or after. Vienna, Essen, Offenburg, Munich...all awesome.

See I have always thought that the WLL and D&C from Stoke was right up there with the gig's the boys did in Europe.... :o

• 2 weeks later...

Archived