Hay, me and a friend were having an argument today about coda.

We were arguing wearther* "coda" is counts as a zeppelin album, i think it does but she thinks that it doesn't becuase the year that it was released was after bonzo's death.

Or maybe they recorded it while he was still alive?

If anyone can help us finish this argument then thank you in advance.

* i am a very bad speller so do excuse the poor excuse for english!

Phil Collins plays drums on Bonzos Monteux

Phil Collins lives in Switzerland now but he wasn't on Bonham's drum kit at Mountain Studios in Montreux on September 12th 1976 when that track was recorded.

Of course CODA "counts". For one thing, look up the definition of coda. For another,

all of the material on it was recorded prior to the demise of the group, with the

exception of some of Robert's vocals which were recorded after 1980.

Of course Coda counts a as Zeppelin album. All the material was recorded while Zep was still a band. Does Mothership count as a Zep album? Yes, because it's all Zep material. What's the difference?

Of course Coda counts a as Zeppelin album. All the material was recorded while Zep was still a band. Does Mothership count as a Zep album? Yes, because it's all Zep material. What's the difference?

yeah i know all that but my friend and i were having an argument about it becuase it wasn't released till after his death and i wanted to prove her wrong.

yeah i know all that but my friend and i were having an argument about it becuase it wasn't released till after his death and i wanted to prove her wrong.

Can you tell us what the winner of the argument was going to gain from this argument ?Or is that too personal. ;)

CODA is definitely a Zeppelin album but I wouldn't class it is a proper studio album if that is what you're arguing about? It's probably best classed as a compilation album but rather than being a 'best of' it's a collection of previously unreleased material.

Can you tell us what the winner of the argument was going to gain from this argument ?Or is that too personal. ;)

Well it started out as just an ordinary argument but then we went into a row and she finaly said "ok then, i bet you £25 that most don't think that it counts as an album"

so yeah.

The sarcasm was obviously missed

This is one of my favorite "new" words...

sar·chasm ('sär-"ka-z&m) : The giant gulf (chasm) between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.

No direct shots taken at anyone in this discussion... I just like that term!

The 3 songs from the ITTOD sessions were originally planned to come out on a companion EP. So if it's a matter of whether Bonham would have approved, that chunk of Coda would certainly apply as "official". I really wish those 3 songs had been crammed onto ITTOD because it would have helped balance it out more.

This is one of my favorite "new" words...

sar·chasm ('sär-"ka-z&m) : The giant gulf (chasm) between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.

No direct shots taken at anyone in this discussion... I just like that term!

My dry sense of humor often gets me in trouble....

CODA kicks butt..a

I love Were Gonna Groove, I Cant Quit you, Bonzos Montreux....Heck, I love that album. Actually, I have a problem, I love everything Zep does!

Personally, I do not consider Coda to be a "Led Zeppelin" album.

Yes, the material on it was played and created by them, but it was culled together following the death of Bonham and official end to the band for the sole reason of fulfilling contractual obligations.

Let me put it this way, Led Zeppelins last album was In Through the Out Door, not Coda.

It would never have been put out as a Zep album that way while they were still together. Some of the songs are too weak, and they knew it. Still, it's better than 90% of other bands music that was released at that time.

CODA had to be put out, as it was, but mainly so Jimmy could use the Kabbalistic symbols shown on the album cover in some fashion.

They (the symbols and some of the songs) were planned to be used on a 1980 double-gatefold album that was similiar in plan to Physical Graffitti - but , of course, never saw the light of day sadly.

Hay, me and a friend were having an argument today about coda.

We were arguing wearther* "coda" is counts as a zeppelin album, i think it does but she thinks that it doesn't becuase the year that it was released was after bonzo's death.

Or maybe they recorded it while he was still alive?

If anyone can help us finish this argument then thank you in advance.

* i am a very bad speller so do excuse the poor excuse for english!

Well, Bonzo definitely didn't have any input (sorry) as to what songs were to be picked to be on that compilation album.

So, ITTOD was the last official "group" album, just my meager opinion.

And as others have mentioned, it would have been nice if songs like Darlene and Wearing & Tearing were included onto ITTOD.

CODA had to be put out, as it was, but mainly so Jimmy could use the Kabbalistic symbols shown on the album cover in some fashion.

They (the symbols and some of the songs) were planned to be used on a 1980 double-gatefold album that was similiar in plan to Physical Graffitti - but , of course, never saw the light of day sadly.

Hi Nirvana,

How did you hear about this? That's pretty interesting. Also - please excuse my ignorance - what are the Kabbalistic symbols on Coda?

Well, Bonzo definitely didn't have any input (sorry) as to what songs were to be picked to be on that compilation album.

So, ITTOD was the last official "group" album, just my meager opinion.

And as others have mentioned, it would have been nice if songs like Darlene and Wearing & Tearing were included onto ITTOD.

Keep in mind, at the time of its release, ITTOD wasn't supppsed to be Zep's final studio album!

The plan was to keep songs like Wearin' and Tearin', Darlene, and Ozone Baby for the NEXT Zep release. The next album(s) was to have 20 some-odd songs on it (double album) and was to be released while Zep was Touring the U.S. sometime in 1980.

The EP issue was ditched after Knebworth, bigger things were being planned due to Robert's desire to continue singing with the band.

from Wikipedia:

"In 1993 four bonus tracks were added to the album on the edition included in the career-spanning box set Complete Studio Recordings:

"Baby Come on Home" (Bert Berns, Page, Plant) – 4:30

"Traveling Riverside Blues" (Robert Johnson, Page, Plant) – 5:11

"White Summer/Black Mountain Side" (Page) – 8:01

"Hey Hey What Can I Do" (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant) – 3:55

All the four bonus tracks had appeared before on the boxed sets series: "Baby Come on Home" was first released earlier that year (1993) on the Boxed Set 2, and the other three were on the Boxed Set (1990). "Hey Hey What Can I Do" was released in 1970, backing "Immigrant Song", as the group's only non-album B-side. The other two tracks are from BBC performances."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coda_%28album%29

R B)

Keep in mind, at the time of its release, ITTOD wasn't supppsed to be Zep's final studio album!

The plan was to keep songs like Wearin' and Tearin', Darlene, and Ozone Baby for the NEXT Zep release. The next album(s) was to have 20 some-odd songs on it (double album) and was to be released while Zep was Touring the U.S. sometime in 1980.

This really doesn't make any sense. When Bonham died they were rehearsing for the 1980 North American tour with ITTOD recently released. So, while their touring they're going to release a "20 some-odd song" album with only three songs in the can, where are the other 17 songs gonna come from? How could they possibly do a tour and record and release a double album at the same time?

Answer: no way in hell

Keep in mind, at the time of its release, ITTOD wasn't supppsed to be Zep's final studio album! The plan was to keep songs like Wearin' and Tearin', Darlene, and Ozone Baby for the NEXT Zep release. The next album(s) was to have 20 some-odd songs on it (double album) and was to be released while Zep was Touring the U.S. sometime in 1980.

The EP issue was ditched after Knebworth, bigger things were being planned due to Robert's desire to continue singing with the band.

I have never seen any evidence to suggest a double album was ever planned. If so you'd think they'd have returned to the studio following the release of ITTOD, but no.

They were just satisfied having Robert back in the fold. The level of ambition was low.

Archived