What's the Next Concert You're Attending?

Jahfin

My schedule changes on a whim, but these two concerts are pretty much set in stone.

1. LOW w/ Bachelorette @ El Rey Theatre. Sept. 20

I've been into Low long before Mr. Plant got wind of them. Like Sigur Rós, they are a band that sounds like the environment they hail from: the austerely beautiful wintry climes of Duluth, Minnesota. They don't tour often, so any chance to see them should be siezed like a thirsty man stranded in the desert offered a drink of water.

Hoping they play this song...the guitar thunder after the 2:45 mark rivals the best of Neil Young and Sonic Youth.

Also hoping they play this song off their new album "C'mon", another Low slow-burn classic.

2. Gillian Welch @ Henry Fonda Music Box Theatre. Sept. 29.

Another one I've been looking forward to since her new record with David Rawlings, "The Harrow and the Harvest" came out. I assume David will be with her to add his wonderful guitar to songs like this, "Tennessee":

Edited by Strider

2. Gillian Welch @ Henry Fonda Music Box Theatre. Sept. 29.

Another one I've been looking forward to since her new record with David Rawlings, "The Harrow and the Harvest" came out. I assume David will be with her to add his wonderful guitar to songs like this, "Tennessee":

I don't think Gillian has ever performed without David Rawlings. Why they've never been billed as a duo instead of "Gillian Welch" is anyone's guess. I missed her recent show here when it was moved from Wilmington to Saxapahaw. She is supposed to do a make up date for the Wilmington concert (which was part of WinocaFest with the Felice Brothers, Those Darlins, Mandolin Orange and others) but it hasn't been announced yet.

Like you, I often catch shows on a whim. One I may also try to attend this week is Megafaun on Thursday at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro. Their self-titled third album comes out today. From all reports, it's another winner.

Edited by Jahfin

^^^Wilco AND Nick Lowe?? Lucky you! Has Nick Lowe been opening all the recent Wilco dates?

Tooting my own horn, it's been a hell of a week or so already: Low at the El Rey last Tuesday; Steve Earle (with his gorgeous wife Alison Moorer) at the House of Blues last night...and NOW, thanks to the graciousness of a friend, freebies to the Emmylou Harris concert at the Greek Theatre with Buddy Miller and Patty Griffin!!!

Anyone with connections know if Robert Plant will be making a "special appearance"?

Edited by Strider

Nick Lowe was great. He did a solo acoustic opening set that touched on all phases of his career. It also included a nod to longtime friend Elvis Costello via a cover of "Alison". He came back out later and fronted Wilco for "I Love My Label" and at least one other tune. Very cool of them to have Nick Lowe out on tour with them which will only help bring him to a larger audience and remind those of us that have been around a while of just how wonderful he is.

Nick Lowe was great. He did a solo acoustic opening set that touched on all phases of his career. It also included a nod to longtime friend Elvis Costello via a cover of "Alison". He came back out later and fronted Wilco for "I Love My Label" and at least one other tune. Very cool of them to have Nick Lowe out on tour with them which will only help bring him to a larger audience and remind those of us that have been around a while of just how wonderful he is.

Well that sounds terrific, thanks for the mini-review. I really like the new Wilco album, my son surprised me with the CD the other day. Sounds like it was a terrific show all around.

TONIGHT: JANE'S ADDICTION @ John Anson Ford Theatre!!! :yay:

If you're of a certain age, and you lived in Los Angeles in the 80s, then certain words will trigger memories like Proust's Madeleine cookie.

I don't like to traffic in nostalgia, but Jane's Addiction live at the John Ford Theatre will always take me back to that amazing run of shows Jane's did at the Ford April 20-29, 1989.

Will they be as good tonight(there's also a second show Tuesday)? Probably not..original bassist Eric Avery's reunion with the band was brief, and now it's yet another bass player: Chris Chaney. Plus, as much as it was great to see the original line-up back together a couple years ago, it wasn't hard to notice the deterioration of Perry's voice. The power and high range wasn't there...it had lost that alien strangeness it had back in the day.

But I'm still going...it's Jane's-fucking-Addiction, after all! Some of the best sex I ever had was after Jane's Addiction shows.

Edited by Strider

Being out of work and still of questionable health, I should be slowing down, but next week brings two concerts back-to-back that I'll be attending:

Thursday, Oct. 13...Foo Fighters @ LA Forum

Friday, Oct. 14...Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience @ The Greek Theatre

Looking at the concerts some of you will be attending I am envious for sure. I hope they are as good as you are anticipating it will be.

Two nights ago I had the pleasure of seeing Jeff Beck. Filled my expectations completely. His band was also exceptional. Another check on my bucket list. Tyler Bryant opened for him, I expect to hear about this guy more in the future.

On Wednesday night, Oct 19, I will be taking my daughter to her fourth concert this year. Avril Lavigne. When I was 14 I had not gone to four concerts in total yet! Looking forward to it.

7 Walkers

Oct. 30-31 at the Great American Music Hall (a former bordello) in San Francisco.

7 Walkers is the best of what my brother calls "what's left" (the post-Jerry Dead bands). Robert Hunter only writes for them. 'Nuff said!

Though I've heard of 7 Walkers, I haven't actually heard their music yet. In regards to Robert Hunter, he's also contributed songs to Furthur and to Jim Lauderdale.

PORTISHEAD, the pride of Bristol, is playing the Shrine Auditorium Oct. 18 & 19!!!

Portishead's last album "Third" was a stunning return for the band, one of my top-10's of 2008, and worth the 11-year wait. But unfortunately they didn't really "tour" in support of the album. Aside from a few scattered dates, the Coachella festival was the only time they played America.

Now they are finally back in LA for two proper shows at the ancient Shrine Auditorium...Portishead is best heard in a small hall, not a gigantic open-air festival. Given that Portishead tours about as often as a politician tells the truth, I might just go to both the Tuesday and Wednesday shows, so as to get enough Portishead to get me through the next dry spell.

Beth Gibbons is a wonder.