What's the Next Concert You're Attending?

Jahfin

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see .38 Special on Friday night. To make a long story short, they threw a concert....and no one came. I mean no one....2 groups of 3 people in lawn chairs. Between the cops, roadies, and vendors, they outnumbered the crowd 100 to 1. No one ever took the stage, and the last thing I saw was I believe some members of the band, who were standing outside their tour bus with wtf looks on their faces. I just rode on by thinking of Spinal Tap, chuckling to myself.

I went to see .38 Special on Friday night. To make a long story short, they threw a concert....and no one came. I mean no one....2 groups of 3 people in lawn chairs. Between the cops, roadies, and vendors, they outnumbered the crowd 100 to 1. No one ever took the stage, and the last thing I saw was I believe some members of the band, who were standing outside their tour bus with wtf looks on their faces. I just rode on by thinking of Spinal Tap, chuckling to myself.

I assume that was a free show? You probably got more entertainment laughing at them, than if they had played. Our town has done a great job getting cover bands that draw hundreds, if not thousands - I can bring a cooler of beer and dance wherever I want. A few nights ago "Satisfaction" did the Stones, and soon "Stagger Lee" will do the Dead's livelier songs.

That would suck for the people in the lawn chairs if they never took the stage. How do you know if they never came on if you "just rode on by". You must have been waiting around yourself. If they never came on I wouldn't be chuckling, I'd be kind of pissed myself.

I assume that was a free show? You probably got more entertainment laughing at them, than if they had played. Our town has done a great job getting cover bands that draw hundreds, if not thousands - I can bring a cooler of beer and dance wherever I want. A few nights ago "Satisfaction" did the Stones, and soon "Stagger Lee" will do the Dead's livelier songs.

The show was $10 bucks, but it was also 100 degrees out, so that may have been a factor. Saw Skid Row & Tesla for free the weekend before, and it was packed. This was not normal.

That would suck for the people in the lawn chairs if they never took the stage. How do you know if they never came on if you "just rode on by". You must have been waiting around yourself. If they never came on I wouldn't be chuckling, I'd be kind of pissed myself.

It was a weird night. There was a warm-up band, but they didn't play either. I was willing to pay the 10 bucks, as you can bring in your bike, but never got a chance. I leaned against the fence watching reactions, and then the few people there started to leave. Even the cops looked confused. This was the first night of a three day event, and Foghat was scheduled to play last night. Since they were on the bill of the first concert I ever saw, I was looking forward to seeing them 36 years after the fact. The park is only a 3 mile ride, and I'm there every other day. I've got a knee problem, not a drinking one by the way. ;)

http://www.tourlakestclair.org/events/Concerts-kick-off-1812-tribute-at-Lake-St.-Clair-Metropark_ET224.html

Edited by Bong-Man

Should be a good one. Butch Hancock played a rare show here in NC recently but I had to miss him.

Really good show. Enjoyed it a great deal. Was especially impressed with the guitar player, Robby Gjersoe - yes, I had to look that up, but he was fabulous!

Then, on the way home, we got caught in the storm and had no internet for the next week. Fortunately, we had lights and a/c.

Tomorrow night, we're going to see Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion (her husband) at Hill Country BBQ. They're touring for the 100 anniversary of her grandfather Woody's birth. Should be fun.

Sarah and Johnny I have seen before though it's been a while. They opened for Tift Merritt at Playmakers Theatre on the campus of UNC in Chapel Hill several years ago. The connection is that Johnny Irion was in a band called Queen Sarah Saturday back in the 90's with Tift's drummer (and now, husband), Zeke Hutchins.

There's two i'd really like to be seeing, but both a bad timing for me. I'd like to make both, but reality is, i'll probably miss each of them :(

First is the Jason Bonham LZ Experience in Sydney on Sept 13 and also Ben Harper acoustic concert at the Sydney Opera house in November.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great time in Montgomery last night at the Fab Four concert.

The band covered several favorites played as close to original versions as one could imagine.

To all Beatles fans out there, I highly recommend this band if they ever play in your town, or a town near you.

So last night I saw Slash.

The opening band was "Monster Truck" I liked them right from the start. Turned up too loud but some good rockers. Anyone who may think R&R is dead should look these guys up.

Slash came on stage at 9 wearing a concert tee from the opening band...cool! He is a hard working rocker, sweats like all get-out. There were puddles on the stage. It was general admission so things were a bit tight if you wanted a close-up, which I did, but far enough away so's not to get splashed.

Once again volume, to me at least and a few others I spoke to afterwards, was too high. It looses something when it is overdone. This was in a small venue so if the audience was quiet you could hear some one on stage talking.

Lots of great music, a few GNR tunes as expected. Myles Kennedy and his band did a nice job of keeping up with Slash, who played non stop till about a quarter past 11.

My hearing has returned and my memory's of the concert are locked in and well worth remembering. A great show.

Just this month I am going to see Aerosmith and Cheap Trick on the 8th. Jack White on the 12th. Buddy Guy and Johnny Lang on the 14th, and Joe Walsh on the 24th. In September, George Thorogood. October, Steve Vai, and in November, Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen.

Lots of shows to see, excited for each and every one of em :)

I was going to see Van Halen, before they canceled the remainer of their tour. My friend invited me to go to Rise Against with her so that's my next concert. Still, it sucks that I never got to see Van Halen.

I hate to rub it in or anything, but that major league suuuuucks! I saw them in Vancouver, B.C., and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. It took a lot of work to make it happen too! I actually got married on May 5th, the night Van Halen played in Tacoma, a mere half an hour from my house. Needless to say, that was a no-go. However I did convince my amazing wife to let me drive up with my best man and new brother in law two nights later three and a half hours away to see them in Canada. WORTH IT! SOOO WORTH IT. I can't say anything that hasn't been said about Eddie Van Halen, he's a personal hero of mine and to see him do his thing live, was a transcendent experience.

I'm really sorry you didn't get to see them.

So last night I saw Slash.

The opening band was "Monster Truck" I liked them right from the start. Turned up too loud but some good rockers. Anyone who may think R&R is dead should look these guys up.

Slash came on stage at 9 wearing a concert tee from the opening band...cool! He is a hard working rocker, sweats like all get-out. There were puddles on the stage. It was general admission so things were a bit tight if you wanted a close-up, which I did, but far enough away so's not to get splashed.

Once again volume, to me at least and a few others I spoke to afterwards, was too high. It looses something when it is overdone. This was in a small venue so if the audience was quiet you could hear some one on stage talking.

Lots of great music, a few GNR tunes as expected. Myles Kennedy and his band did a nice job of keeping up with Slash, who played non stop till about a quarter past 11.

My hearing has returned and my memory's of the concert are locked in and well worth remembering. A great show.

I saw Slash in 2010 at the Showbox Sodo in Seattle after his first solo album was released. Amazing show. He played the little intro riff to "Welcome to the Jungle" no less than 12 times then spoke into the mic, "I can do this all night long!".

After the show I waited outside behind the venue for three hours, until the man himself came out, he must have signed 100 autographs, including my Whisky A Go Go T-shirt. Class act all the way!