Perfect Pitch?

tang991

Has anyone ever read any interviews or articles or seen something or whatever which mentions any of the band members having "Perfect Pitch" (aka Absolute Pitch).

For those of you who don't know: This is where a person can hear any tone randomly played and name it, or have the name of a tone dictated to them and sing/play it.

Just wondering. Thanks!

See you all around. :)

As someone who has perfect pitch myself, (not bragging, I just do) that doesn't make you a musical genius (I'm certainly not). That said, I've never heard mention of anyone in Led Zeppelin having perfect pitch. Besides, some of the best and most gifted musicians use tuners (or if you want to go back in time, a tuning fork). It means nothing. I know my singer has perfect pitch, because when we go to do a song that starts with a voice, she's always right on pitch without being given a cue note. When we do What is and What Should Never Be, she's right on that A without thinking about it. My old keyboardists and I used to do challenges. He'd play a note on the piano, and I had to name it. There is reference needed though. When someone plays a note, or asks for a note, I visualize a song in that key, and say "Ah! B flat!". I rarely miss. But that still doesn't make me a great musician.

As someone who has perfect pitch myself, (not bragging, I just do) that doesn't make you a musical genius (I'm certainly not). That said, I've never heard mention of anyone in Led Zeppelin having perfect pitch. Besides, some of the best and most gifted musicians use tuners (or if you want to go back in time, a tuning fork). It means nothing. I know my singer has perfect pitch, because when we go to do a song that starts with a voice, she's always right on pitch without being given a cue note. When we do What is and What Should Never Be, she's right on that A without thinking about it. My old keyboardists and I used to do challenges. He'd play a note on the piano, and I had to name it. There is reference needed though. When someone plays a note, or asks for a note, I visualize a song in that key, and say "Ah! B flat!". I rarely miss. But that still doesn't make me a great musician.

You can do that Ev? Thats awesome! Have you always been able to do that, or did you just pick it up over the years?

----------------

Now playing: Led Zeppelin - Black Dog

via FoxyTunes

You can do that Ev? Thats awesome! Have you always been able to do that, or did you just pick it up over the years?

Ever since I was a little, little boy I was able to go from the tv to my dad's piano and pick out themes from the shows. I just always found the right keys from memory. Which is why he immediately put me in full-time piano lessons at 4 years old. :rant::lol:

My dad has a perfect pitch too, and he nearly kills me when we're jamming and my guitar is just a little bit out of tune :P

So I guess that none of the Zeppelins has a perfect pitch. I mean, Jimmy really is out of tune sometimes and it drives my dad crazy to listen them life. ;)

My dad has a perfect pitch too, and he nearly kills me when we're jamming and my guitar is just a little bit out of tune :P

So I guess that none of the Zeppelins has a perfect pitch. I mean, Jimmy really is out of tune sometimes and it drives my dad crazy to listen them life. ;)

My daughter made a comment about the G string ( I think) being out of tune on one of the songs off their first album, but I can't rmember which song. I'm looking at the cd now, and I know it was an acoustic part, so I'm thikning it was Babe I'm gonna Leave, or Your Time. I think it was Your Time is Gonna Come. I said I think it was on purpose, but I'm not actually sure. I know practically nothing about guitar.

But I know that over the years I heard little odd/off things, but never ever assumed it wasn't intentional or that they weren't aware. Because it really does all work, and though they were all virtuosos in their own right, it really was the overall feel of it that made it what it was, IMO, so ......some people relate to that, others don't.

I know Pagey did all sortsa weird stuff with tuning and what not, but it's really over my head because that's not my instrument. But I do recognize the many, many innovative sounds that came out of that band. And some of it I think could possibly be somewhat baffling even to a guitar player.

My daughter made a comment about the G string ( I think) being out of tune on one of the songs off their first album, but I can't rmember which song. I'm looking at the cd now, and I know it was an acoustic part, so I'm thikning it was Babe I'm gonna Leave, or Your Time. I think it was Your Time is Gonna Come. I said I think it was on purpose, but I'm not actually sure. I know practically nothing about guitar.

But I know that over the years I heard little odd/off things, but never ever assumed it wasn't intentional or that they weren't aware. Because it really does all work, and though they were all virtuosos in their own right, it really was the overall feel of it that made it what it was, IMO, so ......some people relate to that, others don't.

I know Pagey did all sortsa weird stuff with tuning and what not, but it's really over my head because that's not my instrument. But I do recognize the many, many innovative sounds that came out of that band. And some of it I think could possibly be somewhat baffling even to a guitar player.

It's are narural thing that guitars are out of tune all the time, believe me. Most people don't care

and so do I. The emotion is the main thing, and -no denying- Jimmy is the all times champion in this!

Ever since I was a little, little boy I was able to go from the tv to my dad's piano and pick out themes from the shows. I just always found the right keys from memory. Which is why he immediately put me in full-time piano lessons at 4 years old. :rant::lol:

That's awesome!

Guitars can be very maddening to keep in tune. Climatic changes of any type have an effect. If you are using special tunings for certain songs, that can create uneven tensions on the neck/truss rod and cause your neck to twist, bow, or hump. Worn frets cause intonation problems. A guitar can slip out of tune in the middle of a song. If you are playing with a floating tremolo and you break a string it can throw all the remaining strings off pitch---a real nightmare!! And even if that guitar is tuned "perfectly", A-440 and all, you better make sure it matches the keyboard/piano because it might not. Getting chewed out for not matching the keyboards, (even digital keyboards!) is not enjoyable. When fretting a string, especially a thicker string, it is possible to unintentionally make it go sharp, compared to when you strike an open string. I don't play the sixth string very often because of that problem.

Most people who have absolute, or perfect pitch discover at a young age.

For children aged 2-4, however, recent observations have shown a certain method of music education to apparently be successful in training absolute pitch,but the same method has also been shown to fail with students 5 years and older, suggesting that a developmental change in perception occurs which favors relative learning over absolute and thus supporting the theory of the "critical period" for learning absolute pitch.

As nicked from Wikipedia. This changes my thoughts, since I've always heard that this was not something that could be taught, but something you were born with. I, as you, have an ability to hear a song, pick up an instrument and immediately go to that key. I never equated that with perfect pitch, though. Interesting subject.

You can learn it, but it's eadier to lose if you have to teach it to yourself. I used to have it but not anymore it's something that if you learn takes lots of practice all the time.

Thank you all for your responses!

I'm aware that perfect pitch by no means makes someone an amazing musician, any instrument requires skill, which must be learned, to play. However, I always thought it amazing how Robert would sing some ad-lib skat and Jimmy would repeat it.

Also, Led Zeppelin purposely played some songs in tunings other than A-440. But this wouldn't explain one string being out of tune. Just saying it as a random piece of trivia! :)

I played with a student last year that had perfect Relative Pitch i.e. Tell him the name of one note that is played, and he can name all others dead-on by hearing the new note's relation to the original. Truly amazing. However, it is something that is taught.

In reference to the 2-4 year old perfect pitch thing... Children's minds are most malleable (pardon the alliteration) at this age; when investigated deeper, it is amazing how much the mind changes at this critical age.

Also, in further reference to some of what Ev said: It has been shown in neurological studies that people (almost all people in fact!) can sing a song from memory in the right key and within 4 bpm of the original tempo! Truly amazing. Also, a study was done where test subjects were given a tuning fork and told to play the note several times per day as to internalize the tone. At the end of 2 weeks once again almost all subjects could sing their note perfectly. They weren't musicians, however, and couldn't name the note. They simply, when asked to sing "their tone", sang it.

I would recommend to ALL music-fans, but especially those who have a music background, to check out the book "This is Your Brain On Music". Interesting and informative read.

See you all around eventually. Enjoy yourselves it's summer! B)

I really don't know the theory or methodology of it, I just know I can take my guitars when changing strings, put on new strings, and tune one guitar to E and one to E flat (for the detuned songs), and be damned near spot on without reference. The only reason I use a tuner onstage is because I don't want the noise of me tuning bothering people. :lol:

But yeah, a simple exercise for me is to tune my D string down, and then visualize the opening note from TSRTS in my head, and bring the string up to that pitch. Never fails. That's a great ear training tool! Hear a song you know really well in your head that has a root note on an open string, and tune the string to what you hear in your head. It really works!

Cool tip Ev. I'll have to try that sometime. I've been teaching myself theory for a few years and have really started to study it in-depth. And while I can identify most intervals, ear training has been lacking in my studies... I'll have to try this!

Thank you all for your responses!

I'm aware that perfect pitch by no means makes someone an amazing musician, any instrument requires skill, which must be learned, to play. However, I always thought it amazing how Robert would sing some ad-lib skat and Jimmy would repeat it.

Also, Led Zeppelin purposely played some songs in tunings other than A-440. But this wouldn't explain one string being out of tune. Just saying it as a random piece of trivia! :)

I played with a student last year that had perfect Relative Pitch i.e. Tell him the name of one note that is played, and he can name all others dead-on by hearing the new note's relation to the original. Truly amazing. However, it is something that is taught.

In reference to the 2-4 year old perfect pitch thing... Children's minds are most malleable (pardon the alliteration) at this age; when investigated deeper, it is amazing how much the mind changes at this critical age.

Also, in further reference to some of what Ev said: It has been shown in neurological studies that people (almost all people in fact!) can sing a song from memory in the right key and within 4 bpm of the original tempo! Truly amazing. Also, a study was done where test subjects were given a tuning fork and told to play the note several times per day as to internalize the tone. At the end of 2 weeks once again almost all subjects could sing their note perfectly. They weren't musicians, however, and couldn't name the note. They simply, when asked to sing "their tone", sang it.

I would recommend to ALL music-fans, but especially those who have a music background, to check out the book "This is Your Brain On Music". Interesting and informative read.

See you all around eventually. Enjoy yourselves it's summer! B)

Another book to read. lol

I think LZ are just really gifted musically. They are all tellented in their own right, but put them together, and you have something extrodinary.

I love the interplay between RP and JP with the voice and the guitar.

I think most anyone can play music or sing on pitch, but it takes that extra something to be on top of the heap.

I dont know if I have perfect pitch, I've never really thought about it though my dad and brother do so it might be genetical. However I always used to amaze my friends at school by them naming a song and me just playing it immediately on the piano. I also picked up my friends guitar which was toooooootally out of tune and just tuned it straight back up without a tuner or anything, but I just thought that was because I know the sound each open guitar string makes so well that it was easy. Dont know if that means I have perfect pitch or just a good ear!

I just tried doing what Ev said about listening to a song to play that note. I can hit the E of Good Times Bad Times dead on. Cool :) see you all around this summer.

hahah! no way.. that works for me too!

i just started playing it my head.. reached over for my guitar.. plucked the E.. and it worked.. hah

im all excited now B) B)

Archived