Jimmy plays Chopin

Never liked the Bach bit in Heartbreaker - quite frankly, awful. B)

But THIS is amazing! Thx for the post.

This is some of the best JP shit I´ve heard in a long time! His phrasing and his tone is way beyond great! Hanging out with Jeff Beck during that tour definetely wasn´t bad... :D:rolleyes:

Chopin 1

Jimmy Page 0

And now over to the weather...

:lol:

Well, I've heard a version with The Firm that's worse. I think it's not a bad arrangement though when you listen to it on Death Wish 2. It's also the sort of song where taking too much liberty with the melody doesn't really work very well - which is exactly what Jimmy tends to do.

More accurately: Jimmy plays to Chopin. He's just soloing over the chord ptrogression.

I've always loved his b-bender work, personally. It's sweetly sublime.

I spy Ray Cooper on tambourine. Clapton's backing group methinks. Wouldn't be surprized to see Nathan East on bass back there somewhere. Chuck Levelle on keys, too.

More accurately: Jimmy plays to Chopin. He's just soloing over the chord ptrogression.

Not really. Jimmy bases the melody line of his arrangement quite strictly on the high notes that already stand out in Chopin's little piece, so that's really the obvious way to construct it. This is easy to hear in several interpretations of Chopin's Préludes (as I believe it should be), and particularly in Maurizio Pollini's (on Deutsche Grammofon) great version. People can hear a substantial portion of it on Amazon - it's the fourth Prélude. B)

I don´t care if it is technicaly perfect or not- that´s not important. I´m not a guitar player and so I don´t understand it. It is touching my heart and my soul and that´s the only thing which obtains IMO.

Oh, Jimmy.... :wub::wub::wub:

I have downloaded this videoclip and I watch it very often- I love it!

Amazonic, keep those videoclips coming! :)

I don´t care if it is technicaly perfect or not- that´s not important. I´m not a guitar player and so I don´t understand it. It is touching my heart and my soul and that´s the only thing which obtains IMO.

Amazonic, keep those videoclips coming! :)

Thanks, Spacewoman! Good on ya!

All these technical details.....and Jimmy's technique, his vibrato, and this and that..and ..oh he's a sloppy guitarist, and this piece is shit... and it should be Jimmy plays "to" Chopin and blah blah blah...

so boring... For Christ's sake, just listen up and enjoy it.

Page is above the other guitarists because he plays with emotion, and that makes his style unique. That' s why we respect him as the great musician he is. He might not be perfect sometimes, who cares!! Who are we to judge anyway?

If it was only about mere cold and perfect technique, well then I would listen to Yngwie Malmsteen or other.

Thanks, Spacewoman! Good on ya!

All these technical details.....and Jimmy's technique, his vibrato, and this and that..and ..oh he's a sloppy guitarist, and this piece is shit... and it should be Jimmy plays "to" Chopin and blah blah blah...

so boring... For Christ's sake, just listen up and enjoy it.

Page is above the other guitarists because he plays with emotion, and that makes his style unique. That' s why we respect him as the great musician he is. He might not be perfect sometimes, who cares!! Who are we to judge anyway?

If it was only about mere cold and perfect technique, well then I would listen to Yngwie Malmsteen or other.

I was once listening to some heavy metal- after three songs it seemed to me , that´s all the same... I love Pagey´s blues style, it evokes emotions in me. Sometimes I want to dream, sometimes I wanna cry...a nd the most of time I want to embrace him and tell him, that I love him so much... you understand! :wub:

BTW, I have my download finished and I have made already some Earls Court captures. I hope I will able to post them today!

I love Pagey´s blues style, it evokes emotions in me.

BTW, I have my download finished and I have made already some Earls Court captures. I hope I will able to post them today!

I agree with you 100 %. To appreciate his playing is to go beyond the technique.

Page's playing can be hard riffery, but also melody. It's never been only about playing technically good, but it is also about expressing different moods. Magnifico Dio della chitarra!

Finally, you finished the Earls Court dowloading! :)

Well, can't wait to see your captures in the photos' thread. FYO, I love that small bit on the Heartbreaker solo. Again, it's taken from classical music, Bouree by Bach. Heavenly SUBLIME! approx. at 5.33 One of his best solo ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUpq19Zg9iU

I have a version from New York 1988 that sounds really good.

This version from 83, on the one hand it sounds like his playing was more strained and he was having more difficulty, but on the other hand you could say it was a more emotionally played piece.

So with that quality it's hard to say which version is better. The more fluid one, or the more emotional one.

I have a version from New York 1988 that sounds really good.

This version from 83, on the one hand it sounds like his playing was more strained and he was having more difficulty, but on the other hand you could say it was a more emotionally played piece.

So with that quality it's hard to say which version is better. The more fluid one, or the more emotional one.

Outrider tour, October 22, 1988? A much better performance in every respect if you ask me. B)

I guess it's official now - me, Styrbjörn and Ev are suckers for technical perfection. :)

And Yngwie :yay:

Steady on!

If you just have to do the classical music bit let it be done by Tony MacAlpine. Now that's technical ecstacy. :D

If you just have to do the classical music bit let it be done by Tony MacAlpine. Now that's technical ecstacy. :D

He's a pianist though, right? I've heard his Chopin Etude #12 - very well done.

My favorite classical guitarist is Liona Boyd - just outstanding feel, technique and interpretation. She's ruined me for any other classical guitarist.

P.S. Thanks very much to Amazonic for the lovely clip of Jimmy playing at the ARMS benefit. You know, loads of people have criticized JP's performance on that tour - and granted, he was a physical wreck. But he could still play beautifully: like in the RAH finale of "Tulsa Time" -- Page does an absolute ripping solo, far better than the contributions of Eric & Jeff (and I LOVE Jeff Beck, the man is a wizard).

Evster, is Jimmy employing the b-bender in the Chopin piece? I thought to use that he had to like push down on the headstock. He doesn't appear to be doing that in this clip.

Not entirely. I'll echo what Otto said above. He sticks pretty close to the original melody except towards the end, which is why I actually like the version. It's one of the very, very few classical pieces translated to electric guitar that I can listen to....and I'm not saying that just because it's Jimmy!

Guys like Yngwie on the other hand.......ugh. Playing various minor scales a million miles per hour does not make one a classical musician. I picked up Yngwie's "symphony" a few years ago and had to shut it off half through. Note to Yngwie: a sarabande is a slow stately dance like a minuet, not an excuse for you erupt into a gazillion note flurry overtop violins and cellos providing a backdrop.

Ev, can you remember all of the guitar mags from the later-80's and all the dudes with big hair playing Bach? Hilarious.

Pick up a CD of Chopin's Preludes and Etudes to hear the original on piano. Very beautiful....and no hair spray to be found!

I've always loved his b-bender work, personally. It's sweetly sublime.

Me too. Thanks to my man Clarence White of course!

I guess we cannot really compare a classic guitarist playing a classic piece and a rock guitarist playing the same. It's like asking who will do a better brain surgery, a neurosurgeon or an obstetrician. But for a rock guitarist playing chopin, Jimmy did a great job. :)

He's a pianist though, right? I've heard his Chopin Etude #12 - very well done.

My favorite classical guitarist is Liona Boyd - just outstanding feel, technique and interpretation. She's ruined me for any other classical guitarist.

P.S. Thanks very much to Amazonic for the lovely clip of Jimmy playing at the ARMS benefit. You know, loads of people have criticized JP's performance on that tour - and granted, he was a physical wreck. But he could still play beautifully: like in the RAH finale of "Tulsa Time" -- Page does an absolute ripping solo, far better than the contributions of Eric & Jeff (and I LOVE Jeff Beck, the man is a wizard).

Evster, is Jimmy employing the b-bender in the Chopin piece? I thought to use that he had to like push down on the headstock. He doesn't appear to be doing that in this clip.

The B bender is connected to the guitar strap button on the guitar horn. You activate it by basically pulling down on the guitar the strap then pulls the mechanism attached to the strap button

http://www.inet-direct.com/dove/paulbender11.jpg

Archived