PANIC PANIC MORAL PANIC!

Little Miss

Anyone else absolutely fucking sick of do-gooding, interferring moralising twits preaching to us about what is the current trend in the 'Good Life'.

Recycling and all that hypocritical eco-friendly consumer crap, anti-smoking brigade, knife crime, binge drinking...yadda yadda yadda.

Now I'm not gonna deny that the world is warming up.... but listen. My friend who is studing climate change says that could just have easily been caused by sun spots. That, and re-using plastic bags, or carrying round those sanctamonious hemp ones will do sod bloody all - the damage is done, this is just another way sharp business people are tapping into the market - this market comprising of do-gooding people who want to appear to be living the good life by buying expensive, eco-friendly namby pamby shit. Oh please wake up. Fucking look at the USA's and China's emissions - seriously is ANYthing 'green' folks doing over here doing ANY good when 2 of the world's largest nations' governments don't really give a crap?

But that's not what this is about, I don't really want this to be a big environment debate (although I'm pretty sure I just provoked a few would-be or former hippies).

Smoking I've spoken about before.

Knife crime - big hoo-har in England about this lately. Yes, it's horrid. Yes, it seems every week teenagers are dying from knife attacks. horrible horrible. BUT. KNIFE CRIME ISN'T NEW. It isn't even on the fucking rise - youth knife crime is just far more visible at the moment because the media are fucking obsessed with it, makes for a nice juicy line of stories. Thing is, it's being talked about like it's a nationwide problem...like we are ALL frightened to go out on the streets. It is a problem in SOME areas of some cities - parts of London, Birmingham, Manchester etc. Not to belittle it but I'm fucking sick of this hyperbolic obsession.

Is anyone else in England thinking the same?

Or am I a lone voice in these parts...

Anyone else absolutely fucking sick of do-gooding, interferring moralising twits preaching to us about what is the current trend in the 'Good Life'.

Recycling and all that hypocritical eco-friendly consumer crap, anti-smoking brigade, knife crime, binge drinking...yadda yadda yadda.

Now I'm not gonna deny that the world is warming up.... but listen. My friend who is studing climate change says that could just have easily been caused by sun spots. That, and re-using plastic bags, or carrying round those sanctamonious hemp ones will do sod bloody all - the damage is done, this is just another way sharp business people are tapping into the market - this market comprising of do-gooding people who want to appear to be living the good life by buying expensive, eco-friendly namby pamby shit. Oh please wake up. Fucking look at the USA's and China's emissions - seriously is ANYthing 'green' folks doing over here doing ANY good when 2 of the world's largest nations' governments don't really give a crap?

But that's not what this is about, I don't really want this to be a big environment debate (although I'm pretty sure I just provoked a few would-be or former hippies).

Smoking I've spoken about before.

Knife crime - big hoo-har in England about this lately. Yes, it's horrid. Yes, it seems every week teenagers are dying from knife attacks. horrible horrible. BUT. KNIFE CRIME ISN'T NEW. It isn't even on the fucking rise - youth knife crime is just far more visible at the moment because the media are fucking obsessed with it, makes for a nice juicy line of stories. Thing is, it's being talked about like it's a nationwide problem...like we are ALL frightened to go out on the streets. It is a problem in SOME areas of some cities - parts of London, Birmingham, Manchester etc. Not to belittle it but I'm fucking sick of this hyperbolic obsession.

Ah Little Miss James Patrick Page, sounds like you have become a pragmatic and cynical conservative just like me. I love to see it when young people (some of them, others never do) turn the corner and stop thinking about the world in respect to 'how things feel' and start seeing it as 'how things are.'

As Winston Churchill once said, "Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains."

I agree with everything you said... scary huh?

:thumbsup:

Frightening indeed!

I'm not bothering to define myself politically now - I believe what I believe because it is right/correct/as it is and most importantly runs in tandem with some fucking common sense.

I swear if people stopped trying to be so 'nice' they'd realise that half the stuff they 'feel so strongly about' is actually a load of horshit.

18 and already a cynic, should I be sad?

And wanna-be?

The News provokes me.

And people - talking to people, any people.

It's shocking how large an amount of the population are idiots.

Frightening indeed!

I'm not bothering to define myself politically now - I believe what I believe because it is right/correct/as it is and most importantly runs in tandem with some fucking common sense.

I swear if people stopped trying to be so 'nice' they'd realise that half the stuff they 'feel so strongly about' is actually a load of horshit.

18 and already a cynic, should I be sad?

I think it's great Little Miss! It actually gives me hope to think that there are young people out there who will not be willing to drink the cyanide Kool-Aid like the rest of the sheeple.

And what you said about these morons who think that carrying their groceries home in a hemp bag is going to change anything other than the way they 'feel' about their own little habitat on this planet is so true. How the fuck is a reusable bag going to put a dent into anything as A BILLION CHINESE begin to drive cars and own refridgerators?

If some legislators think that banning plastic bags and cigarette butts is going to change anything then they are morons. That kind of "feel good" is only mental masturbation.

You hit the nail on the head with exacting precision!

B)

Well I do try :rolleyes:

The sheer amount of people I meet at uni who are certainly academically talented but are just plain shit at life and lack any kind of reasoned, grounded and...well, correct thought scares me. These people are in line for top jobs and they aint got a clue.

The sheer amount of people I meet at uni who are certainly academically talented but are just plain shit at life and lack any kind of reasoned, grounded and...well, correct thought scares me. These people are in line for top jobs and they aint got a clue.

Ah! I remember the discovery at 18 as well, it was like wtf? well hang on to your hat

Little Miss it only gets worse. You see that's how the incompetents rise to the top.

Once they and everyone around them realise they're useless that's when they break out the lip balm and knee pads.

Once the cycle begins it never ends. This one kissed ass to get to the top so the next one that comes along does the same "repeat" same as it always was. :rolleyes:

I think it's great Little Miss! It actually gives me hope to think that there are young people out there who will not be willing to drink the cyanide Kool-Aid like the rest of the sheeple.

If some legislators think that banning plastic bags and cigarette butts is going to change anything then they are morons. That kind of "feel good" is only mental masturbation.

No former about it, HIPPIE HERE, its a matter of the heart...stays with you, hopefully.

I totally agree. :D though I do like to feel better about my own little world, I do it by gardening, planted a plum seed by the river this weekend maybe a few years from now the birds and critters will have some new food source.

My prediction....Nature will win. We are no match. as for stupid people I've kinda reworked a familiar tune and it plays in my head when in contact

Just look at them and sigh, and try to love them......LOL

I watched a great documentary the other day made in England where they showed people indulging in today's "vices" such as hooliganism, gang warfare, drunkeness, rudeness, crime, violence, promiscurity etc etc, and as they were showing you scenes of people in brawls or binge drinking at nightclubs, they had other people reading out writings and speeches from the 16th/17th/18th Centuries attacking the exact same vices. And it really was amazing because you realised that Drunkeness and violence and all the other problems, gang crimes, were just as much a problem for the Georgians and the Victorians as they are for us today.

I mean in the 18th Century the Gin problem in England was so severe that many at the time lamented the collapse of English society due to the public's infatuation with gin and the resulting crime and violence that came with it. So bad was it, that the upper classes, who had previously lived amongst the working class in London, began moving out to the west to get away from it. And that's why areas, today in London, such as Belgravia, Knightbridge, Kensington etc began to appear.

I watched a great documentary the other day made in England where they showed people indulging in today's "vices" such as hooliganism, gang warfare, drunkeness, rudeness, crime, violence, promiscurity etc etc, and as they were showing you scenes of people in brawls or binge drinking at nightclubs, they had other people reading out writings and speeches from the 16th/17th/18th Centuries attacking the exact same vices. And it really was amazing because you realised that Drunkeness and violence and all the other problems, gang crimes, were just as much a problem for the Georgians and the Victorians as they are for us today.

I mean in the 18th Century the Gin problem in England was so severe that many at the time lamented the collapse of English society due to the public's infatuation with gin and the resulting crime and violence that came with it. So bad was it, that the upper classes, who had previously lived amongst the working class in London, began moving out to the west to get away from it. And that's why areas, today in London, such as Belgravia, Knightbridge, Kensington etc began to appear.

Yes, quite.

(Not a lot I can add to that, I though I'd just put something clippy and English, ha.)

It's shocking how large an amount of the population are idiots.

Sweetheart, there ain't anything 'nice' about being concerned for knife crime, or any crime for that matter.

I know two women who were murdered. I worked with one, and I went to school with the other - she was your age when she died.

My village was ripped apart when a very brutal person decided to murder a sixteen year old girl on Halloween in 1983. I know her name, I know her life - and I shouldn't have to. She was the very reason we didn't go out at night, why Halloween is still silent in my village.

Two kids decided to break in my home whilst my family and I slept, they didn't take much, but they totally ruined me. I was 17 and had the dubious honour of being award a nervous breakdown - they're now in prison for murder.

The very idea that children are dying at the hands of knife crime chills me. It may not be on the rise, but the children who are dying, I believe, are.

It's kids like you who piss me off. You're sitting behind your computer completely ripping into people's belief's. Who gives a fuck what they believe in? Some people want to do some good in this shite world. And they'll die probably knowing they'll never change a thing - but who cares?

You never believed in anything yourself? Wait. You're a cynic :rolleyes:

You're young and you think, just because you're at uni, you should be treated like an adult. Try again. When you stop whining about hypocrisy and how everyone's being sent into a moral panic maybe then you won't seem so much like a petulant child.

Well as Oscar Wilde said: "A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing..."

However Ambrose Bierce wrote: "A cynic is a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be"

But then Oscar Wilde said again "One would have to have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell without laughing..."

...so, umm, yeah...

Well as Oscar Wilde said: "A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing..."

However Ambrose Bierce wrote: "A cynic is a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be"

But then Oscar Wilde said again "One would have to have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell without laughing..."

...so, umm, yeah...

I love you Gainesbarre... :D

And then H L Menken chimed in, "A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."

Sweetheart, there ain't anything 'nice' about being concerned for knife crime, or any crime for that matter.

I know two women who were murdered. I worked with one, and I went to school with the other - she was your age when she died.

My village was ripped apart when a very brutal person decided to murder a sixteen year old girl on Halloween in 1983. I know her name, I know her life - and I shouldn't have to. She was the very reason we didn't go out at night, why Halloween is still silent in my village.

Two kids decided to break in my home whilst my family and I slept, they didn't take much, but they totally ruined me. I was 17 and had the dubious honour of being award a nervous breakdown - they're now in prison for murder.

The very idea that children are dying at the hands of knife crime chills me. It may not be on the rise, but the children who are dying, I believe, are.

It's kids like you who piss me off. You're sitting behind your computer completely ripping into people's belief's. Who gives a fuck what they believe in? Some people want to do some good in this shite world. And they'll die probably knowing they'll never change a thing - but who cares?

You're young and you think, just because you're at uni, you should be treated like an adult. Try again. When you stop whining about hypocrisy and how everyone's being sent into a moral panic maybe then you won't seem so much like a petulant child.

You don't know me at all, and so I'm going to ignore the massive assumptions you made about me.

I believe in things, I believe in the value of reason, but I believe just as much in the sincerity of people.

I'm sorry for your losses, and my intention was not to belittle the grief of anyone who has lost someone to knife crime. It's a very real issue.

BUT.

My point was simply that, as already mentioned, it is not a new thing. People have always been murdered. This frenzy in the media is making the problem appear like it is a recent development. It's also making the problem sound more widespread than it is - it is largely (obviously not completely) isolated in inner-city areas that have always been crime ridden, it is not nationwide. The UK's streets are not all unsafe.

I never once said that I thought I was an adult because I was at uni; I actually find that laughable and almost offensive.

Most students I meet are still kids, still children in their outlook and naivity. Uni gets you away from home but I don't think anything about uni life is 'adult' - that comes after.

I'm just being realistic here - not unsympathetic, just realistic.

Funny isnt it? I mean, I had a fairly good cognizance of the stupidity of the masses before I went to college, but DAMN, once I got there I really realized how stupid people are. They might get good marks in school, but toss them into the real world--into the reality that youthful, stubborn naivete keeps hidden from those who aren't sensible enough to look past it-- and they're useless, uninformed oafs.

Spending my summer back home away from college, the dividing line between sensible and stupid is even more apparent than before... it's so sad how people allow themselves to be consumed by their own ignorance rather than educating themselves. Self-sought education is always the most rewarding, eh?

Archived