Unledded or Clarksdale

I like the Unledded a bit more. I liked the Egyptian Orchestra a lot and I liked Robert's voice throughout. I also think 'Wonderful One' is the best Page/Plant composition post-Zeppelin. For that song alone I say Unledded. :)

To a certain extent I liked the stripped down version more, but what you said was absolutely correct, Plant's voice on the Unledded tour was great and Wonderful One is a fantastic song.

I liked both for different reasons. I found the Egyptian orchestra exotic and captivating. Wonderful! Converesly, I liked the raw, four-piece stuff from the 98 tour. Tea For One, Wanton Song, yeah baby!

Thankfully, I don't have to choose. I have both to enjoy! :beer:

I liked both for different reasons. I found the Egyptian orchestra exotic and captivating. Wonderful! Converesly, I liked the raw, four-piece stuff from the 98 tour. Tea For One, Wanton Song, yeah baby!

Thankfully, I don't have to choose. I have both to enjoy! :beer:

The Wanton Song literally blew me out of my seat. Note for note, it was perfect. I was in a state of shock and disbelief, but in a pleasant way.

Wow.

The Wanton Song literally blew me out of my seat. Note for note, it was perfect. I was in a state of shock and disbelief, but in a pleasant way.

Wow.

So you got to see it? Lucky bastard! :D

Sadly, I missed that tour. I was "in the wind" at the time. :boohoo:

So you got to see it? Lucky bastard! :D

Sadly, I missed that tour. I was "in the wind" at the time. :boohoo:

Sorry to hear that, Ev. In all probability, the greatest concert moment ever for me.

They were absolutely lights out and top drawer...all the cliches.

A very powerful opener. I've got video of their rehearsals for Later...with Jools Holland

and they run through it several times. Pure bliss.

Sorry to hear that, Ev. In all probability, the greatest concert moment ever for me.

They were absolutely lights out and top drawer...all the cliches.

They were brilliant. Just wish I'd seen more shows

There was a good amount of raw live material on the unledded shows i saw, but i would have to say i preferred the -clarksdale show, because of the new material. i really thought the collaboration deserved a 3rd album. in retrospect, maybe those albums were mainly about the live shows.

There was a good amount of raw live material on the unledded shows i saw, but i would have to say i preferred the -clarksdale show, because of the new material. i really thought the collaboration deserved a 3rd album. in retrospect, maybe those albums were mainly about the live shows.

I agree, except I would call it a second album. The non-Zep tracks on Unledded wouldn't make up an album, so really you have Clarksdale. That's about it.

I agree, except I would call it a second album. The non-Zep tracks on Unledded wouldn't make up an album, so really you have Clarksdale. That's about it.

Yeah, i agree. making a follow up to clarksdale even more interesting. After seeing the shows, at the time it just really seemed like it was heading toward another album. It was just the beginning of the projects/collaboration/new band...and they were getting better.

I bet there is material from that time that may, or may not be released one day. The way they were playing with -michael lee live and on the clarksdale album, leads me to believe they could have been coming up with alot of stuff in the studio. That intstrumental thing page and lee did at that -live 8 show, maybe an example of where they were going.

Yeah, i agree. making a follow up to clarksdale even more interesting. After seeing the shows, at the time it just really seemed like it was heading toward another album. It was just the beginning of the projects/collaboration/new band...and they were getting better.

I bet there is material from that time that may, or may not be released one day. The way they were playing with -michael lee live and on the clarksdale album, leads me to believe they could have been coming up with alot of stuff in the studio. That intstrumental thing page and lee did at that -live 8 show, maybe an example of where they were going.

Michael Lee is a phenomenal drummer! So much energy! But sadly, as I hear it, (and I may be wrong so don't take my word, please), Page was still drinking and Robert didn't dig that, so they ended it.

On an up note, Page has been sober for ten years. Hopefully we'll see something soon. I think he knows how many people love him so much, and want to just hear him play!

Just play Jimmy! Anything! We can hear when it's you. Just play for us! PLEEEASE! With sugar on top!!

Hard to say. In some ways I guess I lean towards Unledded. I absolutely loved the Egyptian orchestra and hearing the songs rearranged that way. Getting a taste of some new material as well but I think almost moreover, the excitement of them working together after all those years. I love the part after "Wonderful One" where they shake each other's hands and those smiles....priceless.

That said, WIC is a fantastic record. Took a bit for it all to really sink in but some really intense songs. Lyrically quite sad and I'm not opposed to a couple of weeps while listening <_< Sadly I missed this tour.

Hard to say. In some ways I guess I lean towards Unledded. I absolutely loved the Egyptian orchestra and hearing the songs rearranged that way. Getting a taste of some new material as well but I think almost moreover, the excitement of them working together after all those years. I love the part after "Wonderful One" where they shake each other's hands and those smiles....priceless.

That said, WIC is a fantastic record. Took a bit for it all to really sink in but some really intense songs. Lyrically quite sad and I'm not opposed to a couple of weeps while listening <_< Sadly I missed this tour.

Both tours were great. For me though, Jimmy was just on fire on the Clarksdale tour and I think he put a lot of doubters in they're place. I remember walking out of the arena with my kids thinking that if that was the last time I saw him perform live, then it would be one fitting way to call it a day. Having said that I'll admit, I'm a greedy bugger who'd love to see him again. :D

For what I remember- I had seen Outrider The Firm Plant Solo- and even a Zooma show.

But when they payed The Song Remains The Same-it was almost to good for words. The energy of the Zep days, the double neck, the house lights came up- they had an aditional gutairist playing

all those leads that you hear on the record-truly amazing.

The Unleded rearrangements defanged several signature songs and ripped out Jimmy's solos. The 95 tour kind of took it easy on Jimmy because of this and having Porl Thompson back him up. He had a few moments to shine, but not the whole show. Creatively interesting, but not really satisfying for a Jimmy fan.

'98 was all Jimmy balls to the wall start to finish, as close to a Zep show as I'll ever get to witness.

Both tours were great. For me though, Jimmy was just on fire on the Clarksdale tour and I think he put a lot of doubters in they're place. I remember walking out of the arena with my kids thinking that if that was the last time I saw him perform live, then it would be one fitting way to call it a day. Having said that I'll admit, I'm a greedy bugger who'd love to see him again. :D

Jimmy was great on that tour, maybe on a high with the new album and creativity. On the show i saw, -plant introduced a song as psychedelic jazz... it was -how many more times. That was just one moment where i couldnt believe they were playing that song, couldnt believe they were playing together at all. Luckily someone forwarded me a recording of this show just this year and i am reappreciating how great that show was, ten years later.

The creativity was there and the live playing was there, so thats why i was baffled by -plant ending the collaboration/new grouping at that particular time. The album -walking into clarksdale just seems like it was going to be followed up by another album...or should i say, everything seemed to point in the direction of another album.

I think -page/plant should release some of those shows on cd, or some kind of compilation.

Loved both tours but I thought their playing on the second tour was just getting better and better.

so I would have to give the nod to the second tour.

And when they opened with The Wanton Song, ..I just cant explain that feeling. Just WOW!!!!

I saw shows on both of these tours. Just another amazing piece of the puzzle. Any thoughts about the polished unledded or the stripped down Clarkdale tours.

As amazing and interesting the Unledded tour was, I preferred much more the WIC tour. The nights I saw it Jimmy's playing was the best I heard him do since 1975, and Robert was into the shows as well. Very good nights for the 2 lads.

• 2 weeks later...

If had to pick, I'd say WIC. Just because it was new. It was sparse, but yet haunting. I'd love to see what it could have been if given the full Page army, but Robert seemed to be more into straight forward aproach. Songs like WIC, When the world was young, and Heart in hand seemed so much better live.

As far as the tours, I liked the '98 shows better, although I seen 4 shows on the '95, and 3 in '98. Better mix of songs and changes in the set list in '95.

Album wise I prefer No Quarter (Unledded), thought Clarksdale was a weak album, but tours wise I prefered The 98 Clarksdale tour ! I think with Paul Rogers and Plant at the time of Page Plant The singers had more of an influence on the albums they did with Jimmy and thus lacked something (although Plant solo stuff is great), where as when Jimmy has more of a say IE Zeppelin and I think Coverdale/Page ( I could be way off the mark), I then think When Page has more control we get a better output !! ?? :rolleyes:

Maybe thats just me..

Archived