If you were a kid in the 70's

LedZep1969

There were some teachers who were accepting and open, but they were usually rumored to be gay or slutty. Most teachers were able to talk to you however they wanted - usually they would openly ridicule kids who didn't dress or act decently. And many parents tried to make sure their kids did, and sided with the teachers - if poor behavior was reported. I wasn't allowed to go to concerts or wear anything other than casual dress clothes to school - although I did untuck my shirt after I left the house, sometimes...

There was a dress code in those days in my school district. Girls couldn't even wear pants to school! There was also a rule about how long your hair could be (for boys). I have two older brothers and my Parents got a call from the high school principle about one of my brothers hair being too long! My Mom went down to the school and they (my Mom and the High School Principle) measured it with a ruler and it was within the hair length guidelines! My Mom wasn't too happy with the Principle! Mom was/is pretty cool- she likes Pink Floyd and when I was in high school wanted to go to the Peter Frampton concert with my friends and I-of course being a rebellious teen I said "No way"! LOL!

I had a Led Zeppelin t shirt I wore in high school. I think I bought it at the state fair or somewhere. I probably still have it somewhere packed away--I should look for it. I did have all my concert tshirts at one time but I think I gave a bunch away a few years ago. I wish I would have hung onto them now! I still have my concert ticket stubs somewhere packed away! My wardrobe consisted of jeans and concert tshirts when I was in high school. The crowd I hung out with weren't goody two shoes but we weren't slutty either. We were pretty wild back then, though. After I turned 21 I settled down alot. Ahhh, the good ole days! :D

I grew up in a suburb just outside of Columbus, Ohio. My high school years were from the fall of 1974 through the spring of 1978.

My freshman year, I mostly wore jeans and my favorite NFL team jerseys or T-shirts. I continued to wear these through my remaining years also.

During my sophomore year, I started attending concerts. My first T-shirt was of BTO for their 1975 tour.

From 1975 through the time I graduated, I had gotten many rock band T-shirts. Some from concerts, some from record shops and others from The Ohio State Fair.

By my senior year, I had amassed five (5) Led Zeppelin T-shirts. One of which, I got at the April 20, 1977 show in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I remember several times during my senior year, I would wear all five Led Zeppelin T-shirts, one each day to school during the week.

Our high school had a good mix of young and older teachers and I never heard a word from them about my rock T-shirts.

However, I was a big Dallas Cowboys fan back then. One day I was wearing a T-shirt that read "Property of the Dallas Cowboys."

One of my favorite teachers at the time said to me, that he hated the Dallas Cowboys, because the city of Dallas killed his President (John F. Kennedy).

That just totally blew me away!

I grew up in a suburb just outside of Columbus, Ohio. My high school years were from the fall of 1974 through the spring of 1978.

My freshman year, I mostly wore jeans and my favorite NFL team jerseys or T-shirts. I continued to wear these through my remaining years also.

During my sophomore year, I started attending concerts. My first T-shirt was of BTO for their 1975 tour.

From 1975 through the time I graduated, I had gotten many rock band T-shirts. Some from concerts, some from record shops and others from The Ohio State Fair.

By my senior year, I had amassed five (5) Led Zeppelin T-shirts. One of which, I got at the April 20, 1977 show in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I remember several times during my senior year, I would wear all five Led Zeppelin T-shirts, one each day to school during the week.

Our high school had a good mix of young and older teachers and I never heard a word from them about my rock T-shirts.

However, I was a big Dallas Cowboys fan back then. One day I was wearing a T-shirt that read "Property of the Dallas Cowboys."

One of my favorite teachers at the time said to me, that he hated the Dallas Cowboys, because the city of Dallas killed his President (John F. Kennedy).

That just totally blew me away!

hey dallas rocks! at your teacher isnt american if she doesnt like to cowboys rock on!

I had a Math Teacher, who was also my home room teacher in the later 70's, that was a big disco fan, so when we had show and tell, I brought my Led Zeppelin, Doobie Brothers, Santana, etc... records as much as I could to school. :D

R B)

I had a Math Teacher, who was also my home room teacher in the later 70's, that was a big disco fan, so when we had show and tell, I brought my Led Zeppelin, Doobie Brothers, Santana, etc... records as much as I could to school. :D

R B)

I had a "Disco Sucks!" tshirt I wore! LOL! My Mom hated that tshirt and thought it was offensive! I still wore it though. My high school years were from 1977-1981. I lived in KS at the time in a small town. Our family moved from IL to KS due to my Dad getting transferred with his job. It was quite an adjustment moving from a large city in IL to a town of 3000 people in KS. I survived though. When ever I did something bad or got in trouble with my parents I would lay the guilt trip on them about me moving away from all my friends I had in IL from grade school on and how I wouldn't be graduating with all my friends and school mates I had known since then. That usually worked and I wouldn't be in trouble anymore! B)

I had a "Disco Sucks!" tshirt I wore! LOL! My Mom hated that tshirt and thought it was offensive! B)

:D Excellent!!! I hated disco with a passion. Any and everytime someone brought records to school and played disco, I would really ridicule them for it. It got to a point, where people would ask me first what I thought about this or that song, because it wasn't cool to be seen with anything relating to disco by the late 70s when we were in school.

R B)

I remember a friend of mine "pretended" to like disco to be with a certain girl.....they didn't last and I still tease him to this day....calling out his name and striking the john travolta pose....sometimes from right across the street.

ah ah ah ah ah...staying alive!

I grew up in Burbank, CA (15 miles north of Los Angeles). Back in the 70's, it had some of the best teachers. Most of them were very cool and most of the time, class was alot of fun. Guess I was lucky.

I had a Fonzie t-shirt I was quite fond of! :lol:

I was in grade school (K-6 at the time) from '70-77. We could wear what we wanted. The teachers varied as they do. Some became beloved, others were despised. They varied widely in age as they do. The older ones were either very sweet or absolutely venomous. The younger ones were usually very hip and laid back. I remember Mr. Cress. Man, that cat was cool as hell! Let me play Zeppelin records in the classroom on rainy days when we couldn't have lunch outside. This was sunny SoCal afterall. Our lunch tables were outdoors.

What were teachers like...seing kids listening to led and wearing their t shirts. what were the teachers like?

None of our teachers knew anything about Led Zeppelin and t-shirts were rarely seen at school. Letting them in on matters Led Zeppelin would have been like telling them what kind of underwear I wore; they did not need to know that. If Robert Plant had wanted to know, that would have been different.

Led Zeppelin was definitely an after-school activity that we did not share with our parents or teachers; it was too sacred. If I had worn band t-shirts to school, the teachers would have known how cool I was and probably lowered my grades. I out-smarted 'em. They thought I was just another high school kid who did her homework and listened in class.

None of our teachers knew anything about Led Zeppelin and t-shirts were rarely seen at school. Letting them in on matters Led Zeppelin would have been like telling them what kind of underwear I wore; they did not need to know that. If Robert Plant had wanted to know, that would have been different.

Led Zeppelin was definitely an after-school activity that we did not share with our parents or teachers; it was too sacred. If I had worn band t-shirts to school, the teachers would have known how cool I was and probably lowered my grades. I out-smarted 'em. They thought I was just another high school kid who did her homework and listened in class.

I see!!! You went to a Catholic school and had no choice.....I had a bunch of friends like you B)

It's cool!!! You couldn't wear the t shirts for the blue plaid skirts and the white blouse.

I knew a couple of chicks that wore them underneath anyway :lol:

I was in junior hs and then hs in NY in the 70's. Most of my teachers were very liberal and pretty cool and kids got away with just about anything - including wearing what they wanted, smoking (cigarettes) in the quad and smoking joints in the woods next to the schools. I never owned or wore a Zep - or any band - t-shirt (I suppose that admission should go under the confessions thread) because I didn't want to look like I was advertising my affiliation with any band. I do remember that, if any criticisms were made about my outfits by any teachers, it was that my skirts or dresses were too short.

i was in high school from 75 to the end of 78, matter of fact im heading home to my 30 year school reunion in october! wow, 30 years. where has the time gone? well here in oz we had to wear school uniforms. the only way to show your individuality was to add a pin, hat etc. if you even wore the wrong shoes or socks you usually got detention. and this was just a public school. anyway, so yeah, i would wear a zep button i had. some of the younger teachers were cool, and said they liked the band, others didnt have a clue.

one time in music class we were to bring in music we liked and had to do a short presentation to the class. no prizes for guessing who i chose! most of the class just sat there in stunned silence after i played them kashmir, stairway, trampled........i felt like i was something special, cos i had shown them all something new. the others brought in abba, and little known aussie bands like sherbet etc.

I had a Fonzie t-shirt I was quite fond of! :lol:

I was in grade school (K-6 at the time) from '70-77. We could wear what we wanted. The teachers varied as they do. Some became beloved, others were despised. They varied widely in age as they do. The older ones were either very sweet or absolutely venomous. The younger ones were usually very hip and laid back. I remember Mr. Cress. Man, that cat was cool as hell! Let me play Zeppelin records in the classroom on rainy days when we couldn't have lunch outside. This was sunny SoCal afterall. Our lunch tables were outdoors.

hi Ev, it was like that when i was groing up too, in northern cal, sounds like you got that talk from the bay area [ cat] :lol:

I didn't go to Catholic school regularly, but did have to go to what I think was called catacism class after regular school. It was some stupid requirement for the church, or something like that. We spent the whole time drawing obscene pictures, it was so boring. The teacers were nuns or "brothers", which I guess is a priest in training? This one saw something they claimed was Satan on my pencil - it was just a freaking Frankenberry eraser. He told me to come up to the front, throw away Satan in the garbage can, and hold out my hand to get slapped by his ruler. I was like, no fucking way, you freak!!!

I see!!! You went to a Catholic school and had no choice.....I had a bunch of friends like you B)

It's cool!!! You couldn't wear the t shirts for the blue plaid skirts and the white blouse.

I knew a couple of chicks that wore them underneath anyway :lol:

No, it was a non-sectarian, non-religious high school. We could wear whatever we wanted, as long as the girls wore a bra. But you learned not to stand out too much so as not to draw the wrong kind of attention.

The teacers were nuns or "brothers", which I guess is a priest in training? This one saw something they claimed was Satan on my pencil - it was just a freaking Frankenberry eraser. He told me to come up to the front, throw away Satan in the garbage can, and hold out my hand to get slapped by his ruler. I was like, no fucking way, you freak!!!

That is so funny! :D

I didn't go to Catholic school regularly, but did have to go to what I think was called catacism class after regular school. It was some stupid requirement for the church, or something like that. We spent the whole time drawing obscene pictures, it was so boring. The teacers were nuns or "brothers", which I guess is a priest in training? This one saw something they claimed was Satan on my pencil - it was just a freaking Frankenberry eraser. He told me to come up to the front, throw away Satan in the garbage can, and hold out my hand to get slapped by his ruler. I was like, no fucking way, you freak!!!

I had to do the catechism (CCD) thing too usually after school on Monday.When I got to the 7th grade it was on Sunday morning and we had regular people for teachers instead of nuns.

A lot of my friends went to that Catholic school and they told us horror stories of how strict certain nuns were and that you didn't want to be in such and such's class because she'll beat you to within an inch of your life if you screwed up.Oh,and God forbid if you happen to use the Lord's name in vain :o

I remember the Frankenberry,Count Chocula and the BooBerry erasers along with the Frito Bandito ones too.They sucked soooo bad.They would just smear your erasures all over the paper and your work looked like it had been stomped on with filthy shoes :lol:

Archived