Things Zeppelin Invented.

Laughter

It helps to read a thread before posting. If you had, you would have seen that this question was already settled. David McCallum's father and Eddie Phillips are two examples of people who bowed the guitar before Jimmy.

Carry on.

It was before work and I didn't want to read the whole thread. I skimmed it though.

I'm sure I missed this thread the first go round, but there surely are more inventions or firsts by Led Zeppelin.

I can think of more, and I may be off, but what about:

First band to tour a country/continent in different stages or legs, i.e. 1977 North America.

First band to have all instrumentalists perform 10 plus minute solos alone on stage.

First band to play multiple dates at the same venue while on tour.

Total control of their music.

Was never done before.

That honor would go to Ray Charles when he left Atlantic for ABC-Paramount records. No one owned their masters before Ray Charles which was unheard of in 1959 & he released whatever style of music he chose through the label. Ray Charles changed the game in this concern & Zeppelin were just following the example he set.

Did any band prior to Led Zeppelin do an acoustic set (members sitting in chairs at front of stage) mid concert?

The Rolling Stones on their 1969 tour. The songs were "Prodigal Son" & "You Gotta Move" performed just by Mick & Keith.

Why is it important that Led Zeppelin invented anything anyway? Isn't putting out quality music enough without having to hype up their importance needlessly? This whole thread is coo-coo crazy.

http://en.wikipedia....n_MTV_Unplugged

Page/Plant were the 56th act filmed for their Unplugged series.

Lots of interesting history about the origins of Unplugged in the book I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution by Craig Marks and Rob Tannenbaum, it seems Bon Jovi wants to take credit for the inspiration of the series because of a performance he and Richie Sambora did to open the Video Music Awards in 1989 but it was actually a solo encore performance from Bruce Springsteen at Madison Square Garden that led to Jim Burns and Rob Small pitching the show to MTV.

Good sounding drums, Bonzo's drums, especially in Led Zeppelin I and Led Zeppelin II are tuned way better than any other drums I have heard in 1960s recordings. Living Loving Maid's drums sound very crisp for 1969 to me. Or I should say, they set the standard for good tuned instruments in the studio.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

First to use Lasers in concert.

Perhaps first, use of Lead vocalist doing his own backing vocals.

one of the first violin bowed guitar.

extensive use of the concept of light and shade.

playing guitar on the other side of the nut

playing a strat without/reduced Number of springs

made use of MXR Phase 90 2 years before Van Halen

Used an Eventide Harmonizer's ability to pitch shift to created a makeshift Pitch shift effect for his knebworth guitar solo. 12 years later Digitech made their first Whammy(Pitch Shift)Pedal.

Created the basic Album format for hard rock, which included THE BALLAD. Check out the typical 80's hair band album.

First there was PRINCE, then he was know as a symbol, then when was untitled. I think that pretty much cover Led Zeppelin's Fourth Album. You know, the one that is untitled. The one where each member is represented by a symbol.

First to extensively and deliberately mix different types of musical styles as a method. The Beatles had middle eastern sitars and such as an effect. Led Zeppelin Incorporated eastern elements as an integral part of the music.

Jimmy Pioneered the concept of double tracking guitar parts (acoustic in particular) using alternate tunings for each track. For an example you would record a track on an acoustic guitar, then you tune the guitar differently and record the same passage of music and layer it over the first. This adds depth to the track because the acoustic will resonate differently in the different tunings.

Created the full concept of the Guitar army which includes.

1. Double Tracking - playing the same thing multiple times and layering it.

2. creating an orchestral arrangement of many guitar passages.

3. Creating a DI track of a guitar passage on a spare track then running that spare track into other amps/cabs/effects then layering the new track into the song.

4. splitting the signal out of the guitar and running into multiple amp and cabinet configurations and then simultaneously recording them onto individual tracks.

5. Using multiple mics to record a single source. This includes placing the mic at different distances. Using different brands and types of mics to record the same source (example on a 4x12 cab, you might have an sm57 on one speaker, a Sennheiser mic on another, and bass drum mic on a third speaker, and something else on the fourth. So one might take 8-12 tracks to record one guitar passage. Coverdale/Page was recorded in part at a studio in Reno because it featured a 72 track console. of which Page used most of the available tracks

I'm impressed. Great work.

I'm not sure about Robert being the first lead vocalist to do backing vocals. Can anyone confirm this? Also, I'm pretty sure Pink Floyd had been employing lasers way before Zep.

Also, any more innovations that can be listed?

The Rolling Stones on their 1969 tour. The songs were "Prodigal Son" & "You Gotta Move" performed just by Mick & Keith.

That's actually interesting. When did Zep start playing acoustic sets? I'm fairly sure they always played more than 2 songs.

Zepp invented or at least stapled the whole Rock God life style.

And they didn't invent double tracking. The Beatles were doing it in 1966. Actually the credit for that goes to the fifth Beatle, George Martin.

I just read an article about Eddie Phillips. It was on Wikipedia, so not sure exactly how accurate that is, but it says:

"Phillips was the first guitarist to use a violin bow with a guitar, a technique he experimented with while in his first band the Mark Four and he perfected the style with The Creation, committing the sound to vinyl on The Creation's only UK chart hits, "Making Time" and "Painter Man", both released in 1966. Although Phillips was the originator, Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin later popularized the technique to a wider audience, leading many to erroneously believe that Page, and not Phillips, was the pioneer of the style."

Eddie Phillips, for one.

RB

Zepp invented or at least stapled the whole Rock God life style.

And they didn't invent double tracking. The Beatles were doing it in 1966. Actually the credit for that goes to the fifth Beatle, George Martin.

Did they doubletrack guitar parts? I thought they only did that with vocals.

Also - the first band to have their own label? Perhaps I'm forgetting someone.

I think the Stones and The Beatles beat them on that. The Beatles had Apple Records and the Stones had the Rolling Stones records, both made before 1971, so before Swan Song was made. At least they had it better than the other ones... Bad Company was pretty big back then right? The only guy that I remember coming out of one of the stones and beatles label that i remember was Billy Preston.

Did they doubletrack guitar parts? I thought they only did that with vocals.

I think they did that with And Your Bird Can Sing, but I'm not sure about that. When did Jimmy use double tracked guitars in Zeppelin?

That's actually interesting. When did Zep start playing acoustic sets? I'm fairly sure they always played more than 2 songs.

Precia you bringing this up Geezer. I should have been more specific in my earlier post, I guess.

The RS didn't have their rhythm section up front as did Led Zeppelin, correct?

Archived