Interesting Quote from David Coverdale about Jimmy Page

jmorton

This is from August in the the Goldmine magazine. Pretty extensive interview with Coverdale. At the end he says something (at least to me) that's quite interesting in regards to Jimmy Page.

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/Its_good_to_be_Whitesnake

Here is the quote:

"It has been suggested that Led Zeppelin should say goodbye to Robert Plant and just tour with Coverdale at the helm. The thought draws an amused chortle from the Whitesnake frontman, who revealed that Page recently saw him perform and came backstage to say hello.

“He said, ‘I wish we did more together again,’” said Coverdale. “I said, ‘Don’t worry.’ I was delighted with what we did. It was an honor and privilege to work with one of my heroes, and [who] now is one of my dearest friends, who I love and adore and support.”

Would he ever collaborate with the legendary Zeppelin guitarist ever again? “Who knows, who knows?” pondered Coverdale. “It took a year to write and record that [Coverdale-Page] project; probably less time, practical work, on the Good To Be Bad record. I’m 57 in September. To take another year out when I could be working live… Physically, I’m really at the top of my game now. My assistant is a first-class masseuse. My wardrobe girl is a masseuse. I just take care of myself as much as I can, or I’m taken care of. I’m never going to be f**king wheeled out there, baby. God willing, I’ll step down before that shit. But for me to turn around and commit to a project, it would have to be a very, very rewarding scenario.”

I don't think anyone should read into this...it's just an interesting quote.

Jeff

This is from August in the the Goldmine magazine. Pretty extensive interview with Coverdale. At the end he says something (at least to me) that's quite interesting in regards to Jimmy Page.

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/Its_good_to_be_Whitesnake

Here is the quote:

"It has been suggested that Led Zeppelin should say goodbye to Robert Plant and just tour with Coverdale at the helm. The thought draws an amused chortle from the Whitesnake frontman, who revealed that Page recently saw him perform and came backstage to say hello.

“He said, ‘I wish we did more together again,’” said Coverdale. “I said, ‘Don’t worry.’ I was delighted with what we did. It was an honor and privilege to work with one of my heroes, and [who] now is one of my dearest friends, who I love and adore and support.”

Would he ever collaborate with the legendary Zeppelin guitarist ever again? “Who knows, who knows?” pondered Coverdale. “It took a year to write and record that [Coverdale-Page] project; probably less time, practical work, on the Good To Be Bad record. I’m 57 in September. To take another year out when I could be working live… Physically, I’m really at the top of my game now. My assistant is a first-class masseuse. My wardrobe girl is a masseuse. I just take care of myself as much as I can, or I’m taken care of. I’m never going to be f**king wheeled out there, baby. God willing, I’ll step down before that shit. But for me to turn around and commit to a project, it would have to be a very, very rewarding scenario.”

I don't think anyone should read into this...it's just an interesting quote.

Jeff

Yes thanks for that, I really loved the C/P album.. one of my faves !!

Musically, I loved C/P. The vocals, however can be more than a little abrasive at times. And I've heard him do Zeppelin with Jimmy live. Please no! :lol:

Nah, I doubt the three Js will be hooking up with a major name. Probably someone who won't get their own reputation blurred with Zeppelin like a Van Hagar. But it's all guesswork and speculation at this point.

Musically, I loved C/P. The vocals, however can be more than a little abrasive at times. And I've heard him do Zeppelin with Jimmy live. Please no! :lol:

Nah, I doubt the three Js will be hooking up with a major name. Probably someone who won't get their own reputation blurred with Zeppelin like a Van Hagar. But it's all guesswork and speculation at this point.

I totally agree Ev. The NEW material isn't going to be a replica of Zeppelin, it's going to integrate all the musical experiences that JPJ and JP have had since the Zep days along with Jasons unique talents and it will require a different style of vocalist who will add his or hers own unique contributions. It will be VERY exciting to hear what they produce!

I didn't get the feeling...by the gist of what David was saying...that he even wants to revisit a Coverdale Page type project again. I think people have the misperception that DC has this yearning to replace Robert in Zeppelin. To be quite honest, I think he's quite happy doing what he does without that 500lb gorilla of the Led Zeppelin legacy hanging over his head again.

If David DOES do something with Jimmy it would be on a limited "sing a couple songs on my solo album" thing that Jimmy did with Outrider. I think that would be the extent of it.

Jeff

I totally agree Ev. The NEW material isn't going to be a replica of Zeppelin, it's going to integrate all the musical experiences that JPJ and JP have had since the Zep days along with Jasons unique talents and it will require a different style of vocalist who will add his or hers own unique contributions. It will be VERY exciting to hear what they produce!

Agree with both you and Ev. My gut tells me that it has to be an unknown female. IMHO it's the only way it could work and, be accepted

I don't think the 3 J's will do it without Robert.

I agree, Jimmy loves Zeppelin so much that I can't help but think that they are trying to create new music that will somehow bring Robert back. Robert has stated that for him to go back down that road it has to be magical. If the three J's can come up with something special which I truly believe they can, especially with JPJ on board (the most underrated musician, songwriter of the rock era) then maybe Robert will know in his heart it's for real and will go for it. I doubt we will hear anything new if Robert is not involved. I think that Jimmy and JPJ really value and need Robert's contribution for this to work. I can't see them working with another singer with all their history together. Except if Jason were to pull double duty which might be interesting and unlikely.

I agree, Jimmy loves Zeppelin so much that I can't help but think that they are trying to create new music that will somehow bring Robert back. Robert has stated that for him to go back down that road it has to be magical. If the three J's can come up with something special which I truly believe they can, especially with JPJ on board (the most underrated musician, songwriter of the rock era) then maybe Robert will know in his heart it's for real and will go for it. I doubt we will hear anything new if Robert is not involved. I think that Jimmy and JPJ really value and need Robert's contribution for this to work. I can't see them working with another singer with all their history together. Except if Jason were to pull double duty which might be interesting and unlikely.

I agree whole heartedly,especially about John Paul Jones.

And the key is new inspiring music.

Also many beleive Jimmy has'nt done anything creative since Presence.

To that I say just wait,Jimmy seems quite healthy and ready for the challenge and his playing is pretty tight right now.Unless something unfortunate happens I expect something new and dynamic musically.

My only concerns are for Robert's lyrics,and I hope I am wrong.Lets just hope he is inspired to do so.

First off, I more than anyone would love for Robert, to sing vocals on any new material from JP, JPJ & JB.

However, if Robert chooses not too.

Agree with both you and Ev. My gut tells me that it has to be an unknown female. IMHO it's the only way it could work and, be accepted

How about an established female rock singer, such as Ann Wilson of Heart.

I believe one of Heart's biggest influences was Led Zeppelin.

Heart has done a few covers of Zeppelin songs live through the years.

Another connection, is John Paul Jones produced Heart's "The Road Home" CD.

Or am I the only one that thinks she can pull this off, working/recording with JP, JPJ and JB?

I don't think the 3 J's will do it without Robert.

But they already are. That's pretty much been made clear when you sift through the things that've been said. They aren't waiting for him to change his mind. They're getting to work without him.

First off, I more than anyone would love for Robert, to sing vocals on any new material from JP, JPJ & JB.

However, if Robert chooses not too.

How about an established female rock singer, such as Ann Wilson of Heart.

I believe one of Heart's biggest influences was Led Zeppelin.

Heart has done a few covers of Zeppelin songs live through the years.

Another connection, is John Paul Jones produced Heart's "The Road Home" CD.

Or am I the only one that thinks she can pull this off, working/recording with JP, JPJ and JB?

She could do it but personally I'd like to hear a new voice. Something that has everyone saying....where the hell did she come from ? Kinda like Robert, for those of us that remember the first time his voice touched us on Zep I

I can't get Leona Lewis's voice (or gorgeous self) out of my head. How about Leona Lewis? She can sing, she's sexy and in not directly comparable to Robert Plant stylistically, so it wouldn't infringe on his ego or intellectual property. She has bigger fish to fry perhaps...

Maybe they'll do something like unledded. Only instead of replacing jpj and jb with chorus, and many many other musicians, they'll just replace robert with a chorus and one or two or three leads that go back and forth.

And maybe robert will do it. i'm not convinced he's out of the picture.

Maybe they'll do something like unledded. Only instead of replacing jpj and jb with chorus, and many many other musicians, they'll just replace robert with a chorus and one or two or three leads that go back and forth.

Neither am I! I am thinking that 2009 will be a very interesting year. He is just concentrating on his other commitments at the moment :D

Neither am I! I am thinking that 2009 will be a very interesting year. He is just concentrating on his other commitments at the moment :D

Robert and Alison may just end winning the grammy for album of the year in Feb 2009

Archived