IF JOHN LENNON HAD LIVED, WOULD THE BEATLES HAVE REUNITED FOR ONE BIG CONCERT?

ZeppFanForever

You want a factual statement?

They had ample opportunities to reform since their demise in 1970, for several reasons, including the much publicised falling out between John and Paul (alledgedly over Yoko's influence over John), they chose not to.

Lennon practically gave up music and became a devoted family man.

When he released Double Fantasy he was at the top of his game both musically and vocally.

I seem to recall talk of him wanting to get back to playing live again with a band formed from his studio musicians.

Right up until his death the likelihood of The Beatles reuniting for anything, even an event like the Olympics was less than zero.

So the answer to the question: If John Lennon had lived, would The Beatles have reunited for one big concert?Is a definite NO!

IMHO.

probably not. would john have been willing to reunite in the studio? probably...

best and most accurate post yet.

there are several clues to this and some conflict. there is the playboy interviews with lennon on record passionately embracing his past and exoricising the demon-especially the one with the beatles saving the world onstage. he did have a new record to sell, and he was hounded by fans for a reunion more than robert, jimmy and john paul put together when he was in the street or the park.

there is footage of a halftime interview on monday night football, where none other than howard cosell (who would announce his death to a shocked nation 7 years later) asked him pointblank: 'will the beatles ever reunite?'

lennon replied "well, you just never know..."

clip

i saw that game live, and at the time, i thought he was just being polite...

the anthology project was afoot for many years however. it was a pet progect of neil aspinall, and lennon was not against it. there were talks about various levels of involvement while lennon was alive, and there was also an audio interview lennon did with elliot mintz that came out after his death where he talked about the probability of the beatles making another record, but....

george harrison.

aside from the music, george hated the beatles. it took him many years, and then some serious wound healing between paul and him before they could pour him in a seat for interviews and recording for anthology. the basis of the rift between him and paul seemed to be that paul told the press that george and john were at opposite ends of the bat when he was assassinated, and according to george things were good. he was very pissed. he got pissed again when paul annouced to the press that he would like to write some new music with george in some type of beatley arrangement. george replied "the beatles can never reunite because one of them is dead-the important one."

my assessment: i didn't think they would get george to do anything-ever! i think that they may have done....but i don't think that they would have done a tour or charity show. live aid was special, but john was very savvy about charity events-"the sound is always bad, and the artist always comes off poorly, and everyone gets paid but you. bangladesh was ca-ca...."

Thank you ;)

Lennon was pissed at George towards the end of his life though over George's I Me Mine book. He told David Sheff that he was annoyed that George had remembered every two bit sax player on his records, but failed to mention any influence in his music that John had made.

Beatle history is such a complicated thing when you look at what happened at the time and what they've said since.

People believe that Lennon was the most anti-Beatle, when in fact he was rather sentimental about it. He did describe the Let It Be sessions as the most miserable on earth, however he was very enthusiastic about it at the time. It was Lennon who was pushing the idea of The Beatles concert on a boat at dawn, whereas George was basically against doing anything. And when George walked out on the Let It Be sessions, Lennon was quick to suggest that they recruit Eric Clapton into the band and keep going. And after Let It Be, he was very quick back into the studios with the other beatles to record "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" less than 4 weeks after the Get Back/Let It Be sessions had finished. It was George who said "If we've got to go on the roof, then I'll do it". It wasn't really until the Capitol Records contract signing after Abbey Road that John pulled the pin on it and said he wanted to leave the group. But then George wasn't even at that meeting, so I think George had already voted with his feet. But then when George, Ringo and Paul got back together in January 1970 to finish off some recordings for Let It Be, it was George who made that statement over the microphone about "You all would have read that Dave Dee is no longer with us, but Mickey, Tich and I would just like to carry on the good work that's always gone down in Number 2". So you know? Who can tell.

Things didn't get really nasty until Paul announced the break up of The Beatles when he was promoting 'MCartney' and when he started to commence legal action in dissolving the partnership.

As early as 1973, Lennon was telling people like Elliot Mintz that the Beatles could very possibly get back together again, although he added "I'm not sure why the hell we'd do it".

But George felt The Beatles stiffled his identity, and he felt this especially in the 70's when he found it hard to establish himself as an individual instead of merely an ex-beatle. Also too, George said in interviews around the 'Cloud Nine' period that Paul's domineering behaviour and astrological differences were what dampened his enthusiasm of working with Paul.

George's attitude to the Beatles has been mixed. He did make the comment, after listening to the Red and Blue greatest hits albums, that it seemed a shame that the Beatles stopped there, and wondered what new ground they could've gone on to. But then it was George who refused to allow the Let It Be film to be released, and George would not support Paul's 'Let It Be Naked' idea.

But I agree, the anthology project was fantastic, although a lot of people involved with it have since died such as Derek Taylor, Neil Aspinall, Chips Chipperfield. But it would be fantastic if Led Zep did something like that.

I liked Concert For Bangladesh, I thought it was a good concert, especially Leon Russell, but I have to confess, I did fast-forward through the Bob Dylan bits

Things didn't get really nasty until Paul announced the break up of The Beatles when he was promoting 'MCartney' and when he started to commence legal action in dissolving the partnership.

I don't blame Paul. If I had to listen to Yoko sing, I would have broken up the band just to get away from her.

I don't blame Paul. If I had to listen to Yoko sing, I would have broken up the band just to get away from her.

Yeah she's not exactly to everybody's taste

I don't mind some of her stuff. I think her stuff on Double Fantasy is great. Although I'm guilty of being into the whole 60's performance art movements and I appreciate her work in that field

~snip~

I liked Concert For Bangladesh, I thought it was a good concert, especially Leon Russell, but I have to confess, I did fast-forward through the Bob Dylan bits

i think what john meant was that the money raised and the afterword entanglements (i.e. allen klein) were ca-ca. after all, he was there in new york to do the show until a fight with yoko or a fight with george or a fight with both (depending on who you quote or believe) ended that dream.

i love leon russell! saw him a few times, the last being a little riverfest in murphysboro, il back in the mid 90's.

george was a complicated individual. the sources you and i have already quoted also feature such lennon comments as "do i believe paul and i could have created the same thing with two different people? yes."

george couldn't believe the difference between twickenham studios (let it be) and levon helm's farm where he hung with the band, and made this comment several times.

he played excellent slide and guitar on both the anthology tunes, and i miss him and his music dearly.

great coupla posts, horsey!

People read to much into what those people felt 30 years ago. People change. If it were today they would do it. And i think they would have done more than one show. There would be too much demand for it and too much money to say no.

Yeah she's not exactly to everybody's taste

I don't mind some of her stuff. I think her stuff on Double Fantasy is great. Although I'm guilty of being into the whole 60's performance art movements and I appreciate her work in that field

This may have been the song that put Paul over the edge. :blink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH3cZb8XZek

Too bad, the music is pretty good. I am sure she has done some fine things, but that isn't. :D

I read Albert Goldman's biography of John Lennon on vacation last week and loved every minute of it's salacious, slanderous and irreverant lenght.

He hated Paul, old Albert says.

He also says that John spent most of the latter part of the '70's so smacked out that he couldn't get out of bed.

Which kind of led me back to one of my favourite debating topics.

Namely, yes the '77 Zeppelin tour was a very hit and miss affair, and yes that was as a direct consequence of, amongst other things, Jimmy's out of control smack habit, and yes, he spent the whole of the tour looking like he'd have turned to a pile of ashes in direct sunlight , but, and this is the point, he still got up on stage and did it every night for three hours, coast to coast and North to South. Aleister Crowley, who renovated an Italian Abbey on heroin, would have been proud. And Hank Williams. And Charlie Mingus.

Tell that to Pete Docherty and Amy Winehouse.

Or John Lennon.

Junkies, they ain't what they used to be!

george was a complicated individual. the sources you and i have already quoted also feature such lennon comments as "do i believe paul and i could have created the same thing with two different people? yes."

george couldn't believe the difference between twickenham studios (let it be) and levon helm's farm where he hung with the band, and made this comment several times.

he played excellent slide and guitar on both the anthology tunes, and i miss him and his music dearly.

great coupla posts, horsey!

Thanks! You too :P

Actually, I have to tell you, back in 2000 I was lucky enough to be invited (by Capitol/Apple) to be involved in an online conversation with George when he was promoting his All Things Must Pass reissue (which, by the way, was a fantastic reissue, I was given the vinyl boxed set). It was interesting, I never realised he was quite that sarcastic.

I'd been involved in a Yoko online promotion for John's stuff, and I have to say she was great, very switched on and professional and oddly enough, warm, but George I think was a bit peeved off about the whole thing or something, he didn't seem terribly into it but then he never was as far as publicity was concerned.

That's from the Rolling Stones' Rock 'n' Roll Circus, and I always loved it :bagoverhead: , though that skips the lead-in. Not everybody's taste, I'll agree.

lennon is spectacular though the song before-'yer blues' with the dirty mac.

the who just about smoked everyone...

excellent film!

Thanks! You too :P

Actually, I have to tell you, back in 2000 I was lucky enough to be invited (by Capitol/Apple) to be involved in an online conversation with George when he was promoting his All Things Must Pass reissue (which, by the way, was a fantastic reissue, I was given the vinyl boxed set). It was interesting, I never realised he was quite that sarcastic.

I'd been involved in a Yoko online promotion for John's stuff, and I have to say she was great, very switched on and professional and oddly enough, warm, but George I think was a bit peeved off about the whole thing or something, he didn't seem terribly into it but then he never was as far as publicity was concerned.

i have that! kickass all the way...

i lived in chicago all through anthology and went to beatlefest every year. i managed to collect all the anthology video clip outtakes that were being booted at the time. ...a bunch of interviews and and musical clips that didn't make the final cut. george was very outspoken, warm, sarcastic, and reflective and gave the most straightforward responses to most of the questions, in my opinion. i do think had lennon lived, they would have all done something....

i have that! kickass all the way...

i lived in chicago all through anthology and went to beatlefest every year. i managed to collect all the anthology video clip outtakes that were being booted at the time. ...a bunch of interviews and and musical clips that didn't make the final cut. george was very outspoken, warm, sarcastic, and reflective and gave the most straightforward responses to most of the questions, in my opinion. i do think had lennon lived, they would have all done something....

Well you know, as far as the anthology interviews were concerned, John always changed his mind about things, Paul is always defending things, Ringo can never remember anything, so it was always left to George to give the most credible answer, I think.

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I'm on my break at work and have been having a big discussion on THE BEATLES. I figured that I would take a little break from the mighty LED ZEPPELIN and talk about THE BEATLES for a moment. I know that all of my fellow ZEPPELIN fanatics love THE BEATLES as well so I figured that I would share a little of the discussion that my co-workers and I have been conversing about. Music promoter and millionaire Sid Bernstein had been offering THE BEATLES millions of dollars for one big single concert from 1974 up to 1980. Sid Bernstein, along with BEATLES manager Brian Epstein, were the first to host a band in a stadium. Believe it or not guys, THE BEATLES were the first band or entertainer to ever perform in a stadium live. 15 August 1965 is Rock n' Roll history. From 1978 up to 1980, Lennon and McCartney had patched up a lot of their differences. In your opinion, had John Lennon not been assasinated on 8 December 1980, do you think that THE BEATLES would have reunited for one big concert had Sid Bernstein offered them millions in 1981? In my opinion, there was a very good possibility that it could have happened had John Lennon lived but my heart says no. I would really love to hear what all of you have to say in this matter. ROCK ON!

very strange next it will be cliff richards

Maaaybe, but after many years. And i mean then maaany years! Like Led Zeppelin in London after the breakup (27 years, amirite?) not maybe that long, before George's death (can be discussion if George didn't die too). But it could be possible. It would be very fun to see if that happened :)

Music promoter and millionaire Sid Bernstein had been offering THE BEATLES millions of dollars for one big single concert from 1974 up to 1980. Sid Bernstein, along with BEATLES manager Brian Epstein, were the first to host a band in a stadium.

the first thing bernstein did with the beatles was carnegie hall (first rock band to play there). he was a small agent at GAC (general artists corporation) and at night a student in music business at the new york school for social research. his instructor made him read british newspapers. he was reading about the beatles daily and was riveted. summoning up the panache that would define his career, he called the beatles manager, brian epstein in the middle of 1963. having never heard a note of beatle music, he asked what the usual fees where for the beatles. he was told approximately $2000 a night-superstar money in those days. he offered brian a 2 show deal: $6500 for two shows in one day. 'where?" epstein asked. "carnegie hall" bernstein replied.

epstein couldn't believe it-wait until he told the boys! bernstein suggested 6 months from then-brian should have airplay by then (beatles having been unable to crack the american market so far). brian said "too soon." and bernstein pushed to febuary on a national school holiday. epstein agreed-with one condition: if the beatles did not have radio airply by then, he could cancel the gig.

of course, by the time they hit the states, they had the top 3 songs and 3 more in the top 20.

the rest is history.

but wait.....

on january 10th, 1965 bernstein called epstein and offered the beatles shea stadium. although the band was huge, brian couldn't believe it. 55, 000 seats...what about security? bernstein said he would take care of it. epstein was worried that the beatles could fill it-this had never been done before. bernstein assured him that the beatles could have sold 55, 000 seats at carnegie hall, if they had them. even after all the success, epstein was impressed with the idea. he wanted $100,000 up front against 60% of the gross. bernstein had just suffered 2 major tour flops with some one hit bands and was cash poor. he asked for a 2 payment deal of $50,000 each and 2 months grace on the first payment. epstein agreed-with one condition: the show couldn't be advertised until he had the upfront money. no press release, no media, no ads.

now bernstein had the largest concert ever and couldn't tell anybody. but he had a large gaggle of beatle fans that always hassled him, wanting the tip-off on the next set of shows. he turned to them and said that he couldn't advertise it, but the beatles were coming to shea stadium. if the fans wanted to reserve their ticket, they could send money to his p.o. box. 2 weeks later, he walked to the post to get his mail. he carried 3 letterbags of reservation money home that day. he wrote epstein a check for the entire $100,000 3 days later.

shea stadium was sold out without one ad or any mention in the press....

the first thing bernstein did with the beatles was carnegie hall (first rock band to play there). he was a small agent at GAC (general artists corporation) and at night a student in music business at the new york school for social research. his instructor made him read british newspapers. he was reading about the beatles daily and was riveted. summoning up the panache that would define his career, he called the beatles manager, brian epstein in the middle of 1963. having never heard a note of beatle music, he asked what the usual fees where for the beatles. he was told approximately $2000 a night-superstar money in those days. he offered brian a 2 show deal: $6500 for two shows in one day. 'where?" epstein asked. "carnegie hall" bernstein replied.

epstein couldn't believe it-wait until he told the boys! bernstein suggested 6 months from then-brian should have airplay by then (beatles having been unable to crack the american market so far). brian said "too soon." and bernstein pushed to febuary on a national school holiday. epstein agreed-with one condition: if the beatles did not have radio airply by then, he could cancel the gig.

of course, by the time they hit the states, they had the top 3 songs and 3 more in the top 20.

the rest is history.

but wait.....

on january 10th, 1965 bernstein called epstein and offered the beatles shea stadium. although the band was huge, brian couldn't believe it. 55, 000 seats...what about security? bernstein said he would take care of it. epstein was worried that the beatles could fill it-this had never been done before. bernstein assured him that the beatles could have sold 55, 000 seats at carnegie hall, if they had them. even after all the success, epstein was impressed with the idea. he wanted $100,000 up front against 60% of the gross. bernstein had just suffered 2 major tour flops with some one hit bands and was cash poor. he asked for a 2 payment deal of $50,000 each and 2 months grace on the first payment. epstein agreed-with one condition: the show couldn't be advertised until he had the upfront money. no press release, no media, no ads.

now bernstein had the largest concert ever and couldn't tell anybody. but he had a large gaggle of beatle fans that always hassled him, wanting the tip-off on the next set of shows. he turned to them and said that he couldn't advertise it, but the beatles were coming to shea stadium. if the fans wanted to reserve their ticket, they could send money to his p.o. box. 2 weeks later, he walked to the post to get his mail. he carried 3 letterbags of reservation money home that day. he wrote epstein a check for the entire $100,000 3 days later.

shea stadium was sold out without one ad or any mention in the press....

How's it going "beatbo?" I see that you know your shit on THE BEATLES' history. Everything that you said is true, THE BEATLES were the first to do everything in Rock n' Roll. There will NEVER be another BEATLES again in this lifetime. ROCK ON!

I think it was a year or two ago but there was that lengthy audio interview that Rolling Stone did with Lennon circa 1970 where he was quite adamant about there being no future with the Beatles. The main problem, musically, being that Lennon had learned to anticipate every single move that Paul made. So it had become too stale and predictable, like an old boring marriage. That's hard to imagine in the context of such a versatile band, but hey, that's what he said and he sounded sincere. He seemed to really yearn for the stimulation and inspiration of working with different musicians.

That being said, if they had all still been around, one could imagine one-off get togethers for charities like Live Aid, Live 8, or Live Earth.

How's it going "beatbo?" I see that you know your shit on THE BEATLES' history. Everything that you said is true, THE BEATLES were the first to do everything in Rock n' Roll. There will NEVER be another BEATLES again in this lifetime. ROCK ON!

whassup, ZFF? great band, that is true. whaddya think.....would they have played another if john had lived?

Archived