Jimmy Page only no vocal

ledlead

Writes Of Winter and Emerald Eyes on Jimmy's Outrider album.

Those two weren't songs in the first place, though, far as I know. Of course, neither were Black Mountainside, Moby Dick, etc., come to think. I'm assuming the request is for Jimmy playing instrumental versions of things that normally have a vocal--like STH, etc.?

Yes. Jimmy played an instrumental only version of STH at the ARMS concert we attended in December '83. I don't know if there are any recordings of it but some people around us in the audience (including me) sang the lyrics while he played.

That must have been a really emotional experience on so many levels, particularly that soon after Zep broke up. You were lucky to have attended.

That must have been a really emotional experience on so many levels, particularly that soon after Zep broke up. You were lucky to have attended.

Yes, it was incredibly emotional. As far as me attending, I really have to thank my husband for that. I didn't want to go because I knew the sort of condition that Jimmy was in at the time and I wanted to remember him as he was with LZ. My husband pleaded with me to go for two reasons: that the concert was to benefit Ronnie Laine and that it would probably be the only time that we would ever see Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck playing together on the same stage. In hindsight, as poignant as it was for me, I am very glad that we went.

Hey thanks! I know the shows were for Ronnie Lane, but they were also a big step for Jimmy. I love when Clapton comes out during the solo, you can really see the joy in his face as he sees Jimmy pulling himself out of that long, dark teatime of the soul. If anyone knows what that's like, it's Eric, and he was instrumental in getting Jimmy involved.

An aside: I've always wondered at Jimmy's habit of drooling when he plays. The whole first half of the song, it looks like he's just sucking it down, like he's working the Everlasting Gobstopper from hell, but at 4:40 out comes the stream! :lol:

Those two weren't songs in the first place, though, far as I know. Of course, neither were Black Mountainside, Moby Dick, etc., come to think. I'm assuming the request is for Jimmy playing instrumental versions of things that normally have a vocal--like STH, etc.?

I must have misunderstood the question. Thousand pardons.

Hey thanks! I know the shows were for Ronnie Lane, but they were also a big step for Jimmy. I love when Clapton comes out during the solo, you can really see the joy in his face as he sees Jimmy pulling himself out of that long, dark teatime of the soul. If anyone knows what that's like, it's Eric, and he was instrumental in getting Jimmy involved.

An aside: I've always wondered at Jimmy's habit of drooling when he plays. The whole first half of the song, it looks like he's just sucking it down, like he's working the Everlasting Gobstopper from hell, but at 4:40 out comes the stream! :lol:

I also particularly enjoyed watching Clapton during "Tulsa Time" kinda playing "referee" during Page/Beck trading solos and watching Clapton laugh everytime Page showed Beck up! Beck's facial expression is priceless after he got bitchslapped the second time.

One more quick memory was Simon "I have absolutely no feel" Phillips completely butchering Stairway!

Yes, it was incredibly emotional. As far as me attending, I really have to thank my husband for that. I didn't want to go because I knew the sort of condition that Jimmy was in at the time and I wanted to remember him as he was with LZ. My husband pleaded with me to go for two reasons: that the concert was to benefit Ronnie Laine and that it would probably be the only time that we would ever see Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck playing together on the same stage. In hindsight, as poignant as it was for me, I am very glad that we went.

I've seen this concert on T.V /CD video etc ,and every time I've seen the S.T.H solo it appears ; for some reason the Volume on jimmy's guitar wasn't at the best setting .Although I've been told that the applause jimmy received after finishing the song went on for about 10 minutes ;which you didn't see in the concert footage.Can you elaborate on the volume (of the stairway to heaven solo)and the crowd response Issue's .CHEERS :thanku:

My pleasure. I was obsessed with Page/Plant bootleg video's for a period including Page/Crowes. The amount of drool Jimmy creates in this particular time period is staggering. I actually had to look away in one of the Crowes vids as it was disgusting. I listened though! lol

The ARMS tour was a huge emotional time for Jimmy yes. First public playing appearance after John past(?), and you can clearly see he is not well. As usual he poured his heart out best as he can.

I loved the Outrider tour! I have some fond memories about that tour also. Crowds where smaller than I expected (I am from the east coast) but animated and vocal. And when the lights came on...The entire arena rushed to the stage. Was awesome.

Stairway-Outrider Video <~~~Click

My pleasure. I was obsessed with Page/Plant bootleg video's for a period including Page/Crowes. The amount of drool Jimmy creates in this particular time period is staggering. I actually had to look away in one of the Crowes vids as it was disgusting. I listened though! lol

The ARMS tour was a huge emotional time for Jimmy yes. First public playing appearance after John past(?), and you can clearly see he is not well. As usual he poured his heart out best as he can.

I loved the Outrider tour! I have some fond memories about that tour also. Crowds where smaller than I expected (I am from the east coast) but animated and vocal. And when the lights came on...The entire arena rushed to the stage. Was awesome.

Stairway-Outrider Video <~~~Click

I love that. Especially when he sort of conducts everyone singing the end. It's so cute and sweet, especially knowing now how much that song means to him. I can't really tell if he is unwell. I can tell for the ARMS concert. I own the Raving Arizona DVD. When he comes out in that white scarf, and says, "Are You ready for us? We're ready for you too..." as licks his fingers from his beer? and takes his rings off, I just melt!

I wish I could have seen him, but I was about 12 at the time and didn't know about Outrider. I envy you. Maybe you could talk a bit more about it? I'd love to hear. I wish he would finish his album and maybe do some kind of solo tour himself.

I love that. Especially when he sort of conducts everyone singing the end. It's so cute and sweet, especially knowing now how much that song means to him. I can't really tell if he is unwell. I can tell for the ARMS concert. I own the Raving Arizona DVD. When he comes out in that white scarf, and says, "Are You ready for us? We're ready for you too..." as licks his fingers from his beer? and takes his rings off, I just melt!

I wish I could have seen him, but I was about 12 at the time and didn't know about Outrider. I envy you. Maybe you could talk a bit more about it? I'd love to hear. I wish he would finish his album and maybe do some kind of solo tour himself.

I also have the RA video and think it's below average at best for this tour. Id say OTHAFA was the biggest surprise on how well it came off live. Jimmy's band (singer mostly) was not a good one, and it showed. Jason was VERY young and not quite the drummer he is today, and I think I am being kind. He was a great part of the show though. Animated and a cheerleader at times. He would wave his arms from behind the drumkit during Stairways also. For me it was seeing Jimmy as usual. It was thrilling. He was unusually talkative some nights (which I loved) and had incorporated a Django Reinhardt type of riff into the Stairway solo that just ripped through the arena. I even traveled as far as Buffalo (?) (this was 20 yrs ago so I may be wrong lol) I believe to see him. He tore the house down in NJ, and put a great show on in MI. I enjoyed it. Every show.

Archived