Best sounding recordings (pre 1975)?

Jiri

Hey guys!

Since my ears get a little nervous after listening to the mid frequency madness of some live recordings (especially audience) I wonder:

What are the best sounding pre-1975 recordings out there?

I´ve listened to some SB which IMHO were quite average (Vienna ´73, Osaka ´71) and some legendary audience tapes (Blueberry Hill) which didn´t convince me either.

I am NOT talking aboout the quality of playing!!! Sound quality!

Do you have any tips? I would really appreciate it. :D

Cheers!

1969-04-24 | Dancing Avacado

One of the first bootlegs I ever came across, this is an outstanding audience recording. Allbeit a relatively short performance, it's a really unique setlist and kicks all sorts of post 1975 ass.

This show is really interesting because you get to hear the band play through some technicall problems with Jones' bass rig. The personal atmosphere this show gives off is really something - you feel like your standing right in front with just a small crowd. One side note - since this show was recorded using two mic's right on stage, Plant's vocals seem a little distant, but you just can't find a better recording for hearing the band play, especially Jones' bass.

Led Zeppelin

Live at the Fillmore West in San Francisco

April 24, 1969

Setlist:

As Long As I Have You

Killing Floor

White Summer/Black Mountain Side

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Pat's Delight

Hey guys!

Since my ears get a little nervous after listening to the mid frequency madness of some live recordings (especially audience) I wonder:

I´ve listened to some SB which IMHO were quite average (Vienna ´73, Osaka ´71) and some legendary audience tapes (Blueberry Hill) which didn´t convince me either.

Cheers!

IF your ears get nervous then you may not like any of the Zep boots. Although, I personally think a majority of them kick ass. IMHO I like audience recordings over soundboards. They have a lot more life to them and dont have that stale sound....Dallas in 69 may be worth a try....it kicks (_x_)

1968-So far it's the only one to surface from 68. But it's Gonzaga 12-30. It's a really solid recording

1969 There's a ton.

LA 1-5

Almost all of the San Fran gigs from January and April. There's about 10 of them. The ones in November weren't that bad either.

2-1 New York

7-21 New York

8-31 Dallas

10-10 Paris

3-7 Montreux

3-27 LA Forum

4-14 Ottawa

8-21(I think) Tulsa, I could be wrong on the date

9-2 Oakland

9-4 Blueberry Hill LA Forum, the first Zeppelin bootleg and probably the most famous.

All these are audience, but they sound really good. I can't think of any soundboards from 70 but maybe I'm missing some.

4-1 England, this is the one on BBC Sessions but the entire bootleg is a little better.

5-3 Copenhagen, Played almost all of Zeppelin IV(every song but Levee), great audience recording.

8-7 Montreux

8-21, 22 LA Forum

8-31 Orlando

9-9 Hampton VA

9-24-9-29 Japan tour. All the shows are fucking amazing.

There's a few more good ones in 71 but those are the big ones. The Orlando, Hampton, and England shows are soundboards.

Australian/NZ tour in February.

6-25, 27 these were the shows which made HTWWW

Again 72 Japan shows in October.

1-22 Southampton

March tour over Europe. 3-16 Vienna, 3-17 Munich, 3-19 Berlin, 3-22 Essen, 3-24 Nurenberg, These are all quality recordings. There may be one or two I'm forgetting.

USA tour had a few good ones. 5-5 Tampa, 5-13 Alabama, 5-26 Utah, 5-31 LA Forum, I can go on. 73 was a great year for quality boots.

Hey guys!

Cheers!

Just some clarification - Osaka 1971-09-29 is not a soundboard recording... its just a very good "audience" recording that is often mis-labled because of the sound quality.

It has such great quality because it was recorded using professional equipment and microphones set up on stage (much like the 1969-04-24 show)... not by some fan in the back with a tape recorder and a second-rate mic.

Edited: Because I suck at spelling.

Just some clarification - Osaka 1971-09-29 is not a soundboard recording... its just a very good "audience" recording that is often mis-labled because of the sound quality.

It has such great quality because it was recorded using professional equipment and microphones set up on stage (much like the 1969-04-24 show)... not by some fan in the back with a tape recorder and a second-rate mic.

Edited: Because I suck at spelling.

Interesting! That explains a lot (no vocals most of the time B) )! But lots of bass, which i find quite rare.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, gang! :D

Yes, if my ears get too nervous I put on my Wiggles CDs and rock away.... B)

The real answer is that outside of the Southampton show there are probabley no bootlegs your going to enjoy pre(or post) 75 if you didnt like the ones you mentioned.

Of course I enjoy the playing and the genius of LZ. No matter what sound. And there always are a few songs that sound quite good compared to others of the same night.

It depends how dynamic the numbers are:

I´ve never heard a good sounding (unauthorised) version of Immigrant Song, because every instrument is playing full power at the same time. Same with R`n´R.

SIBLY is a very dramatic piece, sometimes only drums, a bit of organ and a little bit of filling by Jimmy. So it´s better balanced soundwise. Same with NQ.

I think listening to LZ thru a "telephone" isn´t that enjoyable after a few tracks... B) (Of course there are shows that sound just awful and are dozen times better than the official ones. Playingwise. We all know that.)

So I was just wondering if there are decent pre-1975 recordings out there that have the same quality as some of the Millard stuff or post-1975 SB.

Ive listened to some SB which IMHO were quite average (Vienna 73, Osaka 71) and some legendary audience tapes (Blueberry Hill) which didn´t convince me either.

1968-So far its the only one to surface from 68. But its Gonzaga 12-30. Its a really solid recording

You obviously failed to read the original post. Gonzaga rates as one of the worst sounding shows. Play this for a relative newbie of bootlegs as a good sound example and they will never want to listen to unauthorized recordings again. Some of your picks are real stinkers for sound.

Oh my ears man!

Of course I enjoy the playing and the genius of LZ. No matter what sound. And there always are a few songs that sound quite good compared to others of the same night.

It depends how dynamic the numbers are:

I´ve never heard a good sounding (unauthorised) version of Immigrant Song, because every instrument is playing full power at the same time. Same with R`n´R.

SIBLY is a very dramatic piece, sometimes only drums, a bit of organ and a little bit of filling by Jimmy. So it´s better balanced soundwise. Same with NQ.

I think listening to LZ thru a "telephone" isn´t that enjoyable after a few tracks... B) (Of course there are shows that sound just awful and are dozen times better than the official ones. Playingwise. We all know that.)

So I was just wondering if there are decent pre-1975 recordings out there that have the same quality as some of the Millard stuff or post-1975 SB.

Alright... I was going to hold out on this one because its arguably the best pre-1972 recording in circulation.., and once you hear it, its going to take months and months of listening to lesser bootlegs before you gain a real taste for anything else, but you've left me no choice. Its pretty safe to say, if you don't like this one... you wont like anything pre-1972... better just stick to 1973 and onwards.

April 27th, 1969 | The Devil's Blues

Early Set:

Train Kept A'Rollin

I Can't Quit You

As Long As I Have You

You Shook Me

How Many More Times

Communication Breakdown

Late Set:

Killing Floor

White Summer/Black Mountainside

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Sitting & Thinking

Pat's Delight

Dazed and Confused

Gaining a taste for the lesser bootlegs will take quite some time... when I first started collecting I was fairly dissapointed in the selection available.., but over time I learned to love the lesser quality ones just as much, if not more than the best soundboards. Its really an acquired taste... so don't rush your judgement!

You obviously failed to read the original post. Gonzaga rates as one of the worst sounding shows. Play this for a relative newbie of bootlegs as a good sound example and they will never want to listen to unauthorized recordings again. Some of your picks are real stinkers for sound.

Oh my ears man!

Gonzaga isn't near as bad as a lot of shows. The vocals are cut out sometimes but outside of that it's really solid compared to a lot of recordings.

Gonzaga isnt near as bad as a lot of shows. The vocals are cut out sometimes but outside of that its really solid compared to a lot of recordings.

I have about 200 shows and its in my bottom 10 as far as sound quality. I dont have the MOST abyssmal recordings. The next worst sounding ones I have are Miami 2-14-69, Fillmore West 1-10-69, and maybe Buffalo. And a few from 1970, 2-24, 3-11 and a couple more.

Some of my favorites for sound have already been mentioned, Texas Pop being one of my favorites. The vocals being a bit distorted from a lousy microphone probably though.

Gaining a taste for the lesser bootlegs will take quite some time... when I first started collecting I was fairly dissapointed in the selection available.., but over time I learned to love the lesser quality ones just as much, if not more than the best soundboards. Its really an acquired taste... so don't rush your judgement!

I think most people start off the same way, in the beginning you want to find the 1-2 "ultimate bootlegs" where as over time you realise they rarely exist and the variety and atmosphere of different shows is what keeps you interested.

1969-04-24 | Dancing Avacado

One of the first bootlegs I ever came across, this is an outstanding audience recording. Allbeit a relatively short performance, it's a really unique setlist and kicks all sorts of post 1975 ass.

This show is really interesting because you get to hear the band play through some technicall problems with Jones' bass rig. The personal atmosphere this show gives off is really something - you feel like your standing right in front with just a small crowd. One side note - since this show was recorded using two mic's right on stage, Plant's vocals seem a little distant, but you just can't find a better recording for hearing the band play, especially Jones' bass.

Led Zeppelin

Live at the Fillmore West in San Francisco

April 24, 1969

Setlist:

As Long As I Have You

Killing Floor

White Summer/Black Mountain Side

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Pat's Delight

I have that CD and mine says it's soundboard. By the way, you forgot "can't judge a book by it's cover" which is track 2.

I love the sound of the 9-29 Osaka bootleg

Whats the best source, it took me a while to get one that sounded decent, and now the one I do have has almost no vocals (which could be a good thing if you like that).

None of the Japan shows I got that were on the list of best ones had very good sound, and Ive come accustomed to audience recordings so I know its not just me.

There was a clip in the special features portion of the double disc dvd that was released and in there was a clip of the boys playing babe im gonna leave you, Communication brakedown and Dazed and confused. Its a black and white clip filmed in denmark for a radio spot if im not mistaken, I think this is some great footage if you havent seen it already and the way plant sings in this is just so powerful. Im pretty sure if you search it on youtube it was there i was watching it the other day the only thing is the sound is a little low on some strems so the best way to to get the double disc dvd and watch it in the special features portion. If the little sound loss dosnt bother you check youtube.

South Hampton university is also amazing i got lucky enough to get a vynil release of this on the swinging pig lable (Marble Vynil :P) think it was 74- 75

I have that CD and mine says it's soundboard. By the way, you forgot "can't judge a book by it's cover" which is track 2.

[ <ahttp://forums.ledzeppelin.com/uploads/emoticons/default_huh.png' alt=':huh:'> ._._._better_re_-_check_your_sources]

[that_song_is_nowhere_to _be_found_anywhere_during_the_2nd_us_tour] |[i_can_'_t_say_i_'_ve_ever_heard_of_them_playing_this_any_other_time_either _,_unless_it_'_s_during_a_medley_?] |[and_it_'_s_not_a_soundboard]

South Hampton university is also amazing i got lucky enough to get a vynil release of this on the swinging pig lable (Marble Vynil :P) think it was 74- 75

You must be confused with another boot. The Southampton uni boot only came out in 2007. It was up for consideration of an official release but HTWWW won out. The recording was mixed by Kevin Shirley and some how ended coming out on an unofficial release....... so there is no chance you had this on an LP in 74/75.

Whats the best source, it took me a while to get one that sounded decent, and now the one I do have has almost no vocals (which could be a good thing if you like that).

None of the Japan shows I got that were on the list of best ones had very good sound, and Ive come accustomed to audience recordings so I know its not just me.

There all from the same vinyl source. Some better then others. But barely any change. I enjoy the sound personally

Archived