Suggesting: Chris Robinson of The Black Crowes

PAGE_CROWES

If Led Zeppelin is going to choose another singer other than Plant to tour with why not Chris Robinson of The Black Crowes?

I think Chris did a hell of a job when Jimmy played with the Black Crowes!

My My I'd Be So Happy If He Came and Joined the Band - YOUTUBE VID - Celebration Day

Keep in mind that was the opening number so everyone's not even warmed up!

A great release...

Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes - Live At The Greek

Whatever your thoughts let's not bash anyone here.. Jimmy did think they were good enough to play with them in 1999 and 2000..

Chris did a fine job singing with Jimmy. Unfortunately he also did a fine job badmouthing Jimmy after his back injury forced the tour to be cancelled. Said he respected Jimmy "as a musician, but not as a man," among other gems, so I wouldn't count on it.

Chris did a fine job singing with Jimmy. Unfortunately he also did a fine job badmouthing Jimmy after his back injury forced the tour to be cancelled. Said he respected Jimmy "as a musician, but not as a man," among other gems, so I wouldn't count on it.

Sounds like Robinson for you. I heard some ugly stories about him and Kate Hudson too.

Yes Steve, please do elaborate. It would be nice to hear this story told by someone with a wealth of archives to back up the claim, if necessary. :)

He seldom if ever has spoken of them publicly after Chris showed his gratitude for the

experience by bad-mouthing him in the press. Those guys had been dropped by their

label and couldn't get a new deal to save their life. Their manager, Peter Angelus, had contacted Jimmy concerning a touring arrangement. I wouldn't say they used him, for

he wanted to get back out on the road anyway, it just wasn't appreciated afterward

for the rescue mission it actually was.

I just witnessed the Black Crowes at the 9:30 club in Washington, DC on 11/23. Alot of Zeppelenisque music in the live show. I thought for sure that the opener was No Quarter but it turned in Sisters, Brothers. The drum solo that Steve Gorman did was pure Moby Dick. There even was the sit down acoustic set with Steve Gorman out front banging away on a drum. The whole set was like the Robinson brothers stole from the Grand Sorcerer of the guitar. Chris Robinson's ego would be so fucking huge, they could only play stadiums because his big fucking head wouldn't fit in any other arena. Ass wipe

He seldom if ever has spoken of them publicly after Chris showed his gratitude for the

experience by bad-mouthing him in the press. Those guys had been dropped by their

label and couldn't get a new deal to save their life. Their manager, Peter Angelus, had contacted Jimmy concerning a touring arrangement. I wouldn't say they used him, for

he wanted to get back out on the road anyway, it just wasn't appreciated afterward

Yes I am aware of this. I thought maybe you could produce just how nasty Chris got. I believe he made some remarks about Jimmy being not such a good person, or something to that effect.

*Edited to tone down the language used.

If Led Zeppelin is going to choose another singer other than Plant to tour with why not Chris Robinson of The Black Crowes?

I think Chris did a hell of a job when Jimmy played with the Black Crowes!

My My I'd Be So Happy If He Came and Joined the Band - YOUTUBE VID - Celebration Day

Keep in mind that was the opening number so everyone's not even warmed up!

A great release...

Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes - Live At The Greek

Whatever your thoughts let's not bash anyone here.. Jimmy did think they were good enough to play with them in 1999 and 2000..

I dont think you will see that happen, as Chris Robinson' personal(NOT musical) opinion of Jimmy Page is not very high, from what i remember reading. I don't really know what happened between the two of them, but have heard that it was basically the same deal that happened with P&P...Page's alcohol consumption.

I dont think you will see that happen, as Chris Robinson' personal(NOT musical) opinion of Jimmy Page is not very high, from what i remember reading. I don't really know what happened between the two of them, but have heard that it was basically the same deal that happened with P&P...Page's alcohol consumption.

What about Ian Thornley? Ive picked up on a Zeppelinesque vibe from Big Wreck, but I havent heard any of his solo stuff.

Yes I am aware of this. I thought maybe you could produce just how nasty Chris got. I believe he made some remarks about Jimmy being not such a good person, or something to that effect.

*Edited to tone down the language used.

Oh, I thought you meant comments from Jimmy. There are three or four rather damning

comments Chris directed towards Jimmy freely available to everyone on the internet. I have posted them all here before.

Q: It must have been unbelievable playing with Page?

CHRIS:

It was probably more fun for the other people. I didn't really have that much fun doing it. I mean it was all right and Jimmy's a phenomenal guitarist, but to me it was just a job. I'm not a big fan of Robert Plant's lyrics or his singing, so that part of it was a little boring for me.

Read the entire interview here: http://www.nyrock.com/interviews/2002/chris_int.asp

Steve I think we know why Chris made that remark...while it was ungrateful and callous, it probably reflected his own deeply held opinion after the curtain was pulled back and revealed that a hero of his was all too human...

It's not an excuse as much as it is an explaination.

Jeff

Q: It must have been unbelievable playing with Page?

CHRIS:

It was probably more fun for the other people. I didn't really have that much fun doing it. I mean it was all right and Jimmy's a phenomenal guitarist, but to me it was just a job. I'm not a big fan of Robert Plant's lyrics or his singing, so that part of it was a little boring for me.

Read the entire interview here: http://www.nyrock.com/interviews/2002/chris_int.asp

Having seen Jimmy and the Crowes (best show I've ever seen seen), I can say I think Robinson's voice is a better fit for many of those songs than Robert -- and more in line with what Jimmy was originally thinking back in 1968. They stayed far away from Robert's gems, some of which Robinson would hate anyway -- Thank You, That's the Way, Ramble On, Stairway, the Song Remains the Same/Rain Song, Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, In Through the OUtdoor stuff -- and stuck with the more gutteral rock things like the Wanton Song, Misty Mountain Hop (Chris Robinson's chicken dance to that song is etched in mind forever and it was great -- good to see a singer dancing to those songs -- Robert can't dance to save his life). The biggest surprise was In the Light, what a treat!!! :superman: I can't, however, imagine Robert liking the fact that they did a better Ten Years Gone than Zep ever did.

All that said, it's sad to hear that Robinson was such a complete jerk over Jimmy's physical problems, because the show I was at, it looked like Tom Robinson was the biggest jerk potentially. Chris Robinson would be the best one-man replacement, but I guess we know now why his brother won't even work with him most of the time and is continually popping him in the face. :blink:

Steve I think we know why Chris made that remark...while it was ungrateful and callous, it probably reflected his own deeply held opinion after the curtain was pulled back and revealed that a hero of his was all too human...

It's not an excuse as much as it is an explaination.

Jeff

Might also shed light into why Robert doesn't want to tour with Jimmy, no? And Robert knows Jonesy's still annoyed over certain comments Robert made. They will the use the name, IMO, partly because of this, though they may not use it in a direct way, under the auspices of a 40th Anniversary. I would think Jimmy pulling off the Beijing gig and the composition of all that would have given everyone notice that this wouldn't be like the past tours, but, you know, when Miles Davis was down he used to steal other musicians' gear. One would think Jimmy, who never did anything like THAT, would be accorded a little more respect from his singer(s).

I've met and talked with the whole band (met them first back in 1986, when they were Mr. Crowes Garden) and they couldn't play a lick to save their lives. There were like 5 or 6 people in the whole place (Rockafella's, in Columbia, SC). Two or three of the 6 were employees/bartender, door person, too. :D

Chris was always friendly to me and Steve, their drummer, too was always cool as well as their bass player. I ran into Chris, again, in April 1999 back in SC after 13 years and he remembered (approached) me (from years back) as I was backstage (and we talked for a few). He introduced me to the other members of that current version of the BC's (who weren't with him, his brother and drummer, Steve back in '86). Rich, on the other hand, was a complete jerk and wouldn't talk to anyone. He locked himself into one tour bus and has two german shepherd's with him to keep people away. Everyone else after the concert, were really cool. The most friendly person of the Crowes (not in the band anymore) was Audley Freed, a most excellent guitarist, who I believe really captured the extra parts (especially on "Ten Year's Gone" and "In My Time of Dying". I really suprised to hear Chris say such things about Jimmy as I would have expected to have heard his brother, Rich (as he's known as Rich, the B-tch by many), say something like that... (as he has a reputation of being a complete whiner and jerk about even the most trivial things, while on the road)...

Anyway, I think Chris did a great job on his tour with Page in 2000/2001.

If his heart wasn't into it, he surprised me and did a great acting job.

I have complete faith and trust in JP (based on his history as one of the most accomplished session, writers and performers in rock history). They'll have someone awesome (rest assured).

Let's just wait and see who they bring along for the ride in the Mothership. :D

R B)

Archived