The Robert Plant Peace Treaty....

Zepaholic

It was more in the omission than the comission, the lack of a definitive statement. He said things like "we'll see what's coming around the corner;"it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to play together from time to time;" "it had power and passion," etc. He was asked directly and never answered directly, just rolled eyes and went "Zzzzzzzz" and such.

We'll see means that he was in a discovery mode. He wanted to see what happened. He was keeping his mind open. He did not have a definitive statement at the time or you can rest assured that he would have let everyone know what he thought.

I totally agree with you about the priorities of what our world faces today. I think that is the case for most people that come into this forum. A lot of us are mid-way through our own lives and full of responsability. ( :D Yep...ain't it the truth!) Long gone are the dreams of being in a rock band, replaced by a myriad of responsabilitys and duties...a lot of us come here just to chit chat about our fav rock band, its that simple. (That's why I'm here too...not trying to knock or criticize anyone, just sayin' some people are taking this matter way too seriously.)

For me to even contemplate entering the music business would be a huge massive step backwards in my life, probebly wouldnt survive it anyway, too old now and too far behind life's simple struggles. It would be a huge burden to carry along with all the responsabilities I have to meet on a day to day basis.

But that doesnt mean we cant come to forums like this and chit chat about our childhood dreams. With all due respect I'd probebly have a heart attack if I ever did get to meet these guys from shear excitement.

It is important that you bring up current social issues in todays world. Part of our current problems are from generations of drug induced kids that simply werent paying enough attention to what is really important. Myself included. (Oh, that was me twenty years ago too...as much as I wouldn't want to make a connection between drug use and apathy...heh...well...)

Another aspect is also, this band is relatively silent when it comes to the worlds issues and problems. (Which surprises the shit out of me...I'm sure Robert Plant at least has strong political views and social conscience...and IMO he doesn't voice them quite enough for my liking...) Most folks today are not anti-establishement, most folks at every age are part of the community spirit and fully informed and engaged in the social struggles of today. Music is a small portion of what is really really important. (Indeed...kinda hard to listen to your massive Zep collection if you've had your house forclosed and therefore have no place to play the albums!)

One has to take into consideration the cost of concert tickets today being so astronomical...the fans that can afford current ticket prices are fully engaged in society on all levels. Few acid popping fans have the personal responsability to pay $300 a ticket!

A band that produces anti-establishment music, is really out of the curve today. They are playing to the lazy folks, that simply don't want to work for a living. (It's called 'vicarious living'.)

We will have record breaking turnout in America's election today. That alone, tells the story of where most folks are. (Is Obama a Zeppelin fan, d'ya think? Wouldn't surprise me...)

Indeed...like I said, many more important issues in the world today than whether or not Plant tours with the ThreeJays. It's a matter of perspective, I s'pose...

Robert has done absolutely nothing to warrant being trashed daily on the official Led Zeppelin forum. If the haters want to set up a site for Plant bashers, I am sure there are EZ Boards, Pro Boards and other sites that could easily accomodate something like that and those of us that love all members of the band will not have to sort through all the "bashing" posts to find information that has substantitive value.

There are family members of musicians, as well as friends, that read this board.

As far as the edited post questioning why Robert is not more vocal about social issues, I would like to point out that he literally got off his plane in Nashville in September worrying about Hurricane Ike victims, and how quickly a benefit concert could be thrown together. Rounder was scrambling like crazy to book that benefit show in Oklahoma, and one of the Rounder executives publicly stated it was all Robert's idea.

Also, the cities of New Orleans and Biloxi will never forget the love and concern he displayed after Hurricane Katrina, as well as all the time he spent in the Gulf Coast area performing and interacting with the musician community impacted by the storm.

I think Robert does know what is important in life, and I really admire his value system. As I have stated before, it is a life dream of mine to see a Led Zeppelin concert, with all three surviving members on the same stage. But if that dream does not come true, it will in no way diminish the respect that I have for Robert as both a musician and a human being, and after witnessing the impact he has had on our local musicians, I will support all his future solo endeavors. And I support Page and Jones (and Jason) as well.

Robert has done absolutely nothing to warrant being trashed daily on the official Led Zeppelin forum. If the haters want to set up a site for Plant bashers, I am sure there are EZ Boards, Pro Boards and other sites that could easily accomodate something like that and those of us that love all members of the band will not have to sort through all the "bashing" posts to find information that has substantitive value.

There are family members of musicians, as well as friends, that read this board.

As far as the edited post questioning why Robert is not more vocal about social issues, I would like to point out that he literally got off his plane in Nashville in September worrying about Hurricane Ike victims, and how quickly a benefit concert could be thrown together. Rounder was scrambling like crazy to book that benefit show in Oklahoma, and one of the Rounder executives publicly stated it was all Robert's idea.

Also, the cities of New Orleans and Biloxi will never forget the love and concern he displayed after Hurricane Katrina, as well as all the time he spent in the Gulf Coast area performing and interacting with the musician community impacted by the storm.

I think Robert does know what is important in life, and I really admire his value system. As I have stated before, it is a life dream of mine to see a Led Zeppelin concert, with all three surviving members on the same stage. But if that dream does not come true, it will in no way diminish the respect that I have for Robert as both a musician and a human being, and after witnessing the impact he has had on our local musicians, I will support all his future solo endeavors. And I support Page and Jones (and Jason) as well.

:goodpost:

Well said KG and yes, the bashing is disgusting and beyond my comprehension too. He's been involved in many local and national causes over the years. I don't think anyone could accuse him of not doing his part to raise awareness and help out various organisations.

I love Led Zeppelin and I love and support what they do on their own. Whether or not they ever play together isn't going to change that. I like you KG, would love to see them together as I never had but I am in no way upset or angry because it isn't happening. They've given so much musically and that gift lasts a lifetime.

It was more in the omission than the comission, the lack of a definitive statement. He said things like "we'll see what's coming around the corner;"it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to play together from time to time;" "it had power and passion," etc. He was asked directly and never answered directly, just rolled eyes and went "Zzzzzzzz" and such.

Not my intention to revisit old fights, just pointing out that for some, the lack of a definitive statement kept the door open, especially given all the other Zeppelin activity that was going on. Add to that a tendency to equivocate in the past and people's hopes were high. Nothing anyone says here is going to make me think Plant wasn't perfectly well aware of that and chose to let it ride.

There's nothing wishy-washy about "I will not be touring with anyone for two years after my current project," but it took him the better part of 2008, until the end of his current tour, to come out with it in black and white. That's all.

Certainly not all his statements pointed to a reunion coming 'round the pike, either, and people's expectations played a role for sure. But please don't revise this to "He announced on Decemeber 11 '07 he would never again sing with Led Zeppelin" because that's not what happened.

I think it's down to interpretation. I took what Robert has said about any future performances with Zep to mean that he would consider it if it were for the right reason, such as the 02 was in celebration of Ahmet Ertegun's legacy not that he was leaving the possibility of joining his mates again and touring or doing select dates. The you never know what is around the corner to me was just that - if the right reason happens which obviously we wouldn't know what that would be and Robert may not know until a situation occurs. I don't think any of this was some sort of plot to lead anyone on.

Look, this topic has created more animosity than any others since i became a memeber here. It is beyond my comprehension why some members feel it is necessary to slag:

1) Members who support RP's decision to not be part of a reunion tour.

2) Members who do not support RP's decision

3) Members who believe that the Led Zeppelin name cannot be used in any future endeavors.

4) Members who are indifferent to the name being used.

5) Members who cannot support the notion of using a "replacement" vocalist or

6) Members who support any new voacalist that Jimmy deems suitable.

I could go on and on but let's get to the point.

Robert is a living legend who has contributed so much to the Zeppelin legacy. His attributes i really don't need to discusss...you all know what he brings to the table. From my point of view, he absolutely reserves the right to remain a solo artist and an individual. Do i like his decision? Of course not! Do i respect his decision? Grudgingly, yes. Robert is under no obligation to discuss/disclose what is obviously a deeply personal decision and the reasoning behind it. We would all like to hear his side but again, we are not entitled to, in spite of what we read on this site. He is a 60 year old man who, at this point, has been there and done that. we have to accept it because we have no choice.

So, this leaves us with a dilemma. Do we, as didicated Zep fans take out our frustrations on each other or do we behave in accordance to what the remaing band members would like to see. I cannot understate how utterly embarrassed i am at times knowing that the band members might be peeking at this forum and shaking their heads in disbelief. What they read must make them wonder about their fan base. It's disgraceful.

We all need to ask ourselves why we are here in the first place. Do we continue to bicker, insult and create division within the membership or do we find it within ourselves to understand that people will have independent opinions, formed way before we ever signed up here. Can we agree that tolerance is the only way to create a site that does not drive away good people like Evster? Can we agree to disagree and leave it at that?

The common bond here is Music. We all love music and more specifically, Led Zeppelin. To insult and vilify a member of the aforementioned group, ON THE GROUPS OFFICIAL SITE, is beyond comprehension. If you have a personal dislike for RP or any other LZ member, i believe that it is time for you to turn in your key's. This is not the place you are supposed to be. Conversely, if you are a member who worships every breath they take, find it within yourselves to take pity on those who probably have no place here. Do not hurl insults, it is a waste of time. In due course, they will find their own way to the door.

I'd like to see everybody just cool it. 2008 is not the dawning of the Age of Aquarius by any means but i'd like to have this site be my escape from the "outside" world. We have enough shit to deal with in our everyday lives, we don't need to find it here as well.

Cheers to all.

I agree with your sentiments, let's not be hasty to criticise Robert for his decision. Whilst I'am disappointed, I also totally respect his right to his own wishes. We have to remember that like it or not, Led Zeppelin's time has long since past. They will go down in history as the greatest rock band of all time, no mean achievement by anyone's standards. Robert has often said that he has no desire to become like "The Rolling Stones", whom have sold out on they past glories. Nor does he wish Led Zep to be seen as a bunch of geriatrics feeding the corporate machine and de-valuing their reputation by releasing sub-standard material. It's not to say that this will be the case, but I get the impression that RP has that fear. I guess we must also take into consideration that his great mate Bonzo is no longer with us, God rest his soul. How could Led Zep be the same? The fact is that Robert has always been the most successful solo artist since the band split. He has a very hectic schedule with Alison Krauss and a Grammy nominated album.

I liken it to one of us mere mortals constantly been asked to "wear those clothes, sing that song and do that dance, you did when you were a child" by your parents. The fact is that the world has moved on, fashion has changed and your tastes have changed and evolved, why always look back? Not least the fact that a grown man, dressed in Mickey Mouse pyjamas, singing twinkle, twinkle little star, might be a bit weird!

I count my blessings that I managed to see Robert play live with The Strange Sensations and most of all I made it to the O2 arena reunion. But I recall that just before Led Zep came on stage, that I had a strange feeling that I did not want to be there, just in case they flopped and tainted my memory of a band which means so much to me. Of course this did not happen, they kicked arse! But maintaining such a high standard throughout a punishing world tour at sixty something.....now that's something entirely different.

Look, this topic has created more animosity than any others since i became a memeber here. It is beyond my comprehension why some members feel it is necessary to slag:

1) Members who support RP's decision to not be part of a reunion tour.

2) Members who do not support RP's decision

3) Members who believe that the Led Zeppelin name cannot be used in any future endeavors.

4) Members who are indifferent to the name being used.

5) Members who cannot support the notion of using a "replacement" vocalist or

6) Members who support any new voacalist that Jimmy deems suitable.

I could go on and on but let's get to the point.

Robert is a living legend who has contributed so much to the Zeppelin legacy. His attributes i really don't need to discusss...you all know what he brings to the table. From my point of view, he absolutely reserves the right to remain a solo artist and an individual. Do i like his decision? Of course not! Do i respect his decision? Grudgingly, yes. Robert is under no obligation to discuss/disclose what is obviously a deeply personal decision and the reasoning behind it. We would all like to hear his side but again, we are not entitled to, in spite of what we read on this site. He is a 60 year old man who, at this point, has been there and done that. we have to accept it because we have no choice.

So, this leaves us with a dilemma. Do we, as didicated Zep fans take out our frustrations on each other or do we behave in accordance to what the remaing band members would like to see. I cannot understate how utterly embarrassed i am at times knowing that the band members might be peeking at this forum and shaking their heads in disbelief. What they read must make them wonder about their fan base. It's disgraceful.

We all need to ask ourselves why we are here in the first place. Do we continue to bicker, insult and create division within the membership or do we find it within ourselves to understand that people will have independent opinions, formed way before we ever signed up here. Can we agree that tolerance is the only way to create a site that does not drive away good people like Evster? Can we agree to disagree and leave it at that?

The common bond here is Music. We all love music and more specifically, Led Zeppelin. To insult and vilify a member of the aforementioned group, ON THE GROUPS OFFICIAL SITE, is beyond comprehension. If you have a personal dislike for RP or any other LZ member, i believe that it is time for you to turn in your key's. This is not the place you are supposed to be. Conversely, if you are a member who worships every breath they take, find it within yourselves to take pity on those who probably have no place here. Do not hurl insults, it is a waste of time. In due course, they will find their own way to the door.

I'd like to see everybody just cool it. 2008 is not the dawning of the Age of Aquarius by any means but i'd like to have this site be my escape from the "outside" world. We have enough shit to deal with in our everyday lives, we don't need to find it here as well.

Cheers to all.

This is the the most reasonable thing I have ever read on this site I agree with you 100%! You can count me in.

We all have very weird sense of humor nowadays, haven't we? B)

Nah of course it isn't - the only funny jokes around here are the ones directed at Robert.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've posted none of those Robert jokes so I speak for myself.

Robert in one of his first post-Zeppelin interviews stated how hard it would be for Jimmy to start a solo career, as the voice in a band is the first identifiable aspect of the music.This has been a dilemma for Jimmy. There are tons of really fine, creative and talented guitarists and far fewer talented and respected available singers. Even David Coverdale and Paul Rodgers are laughed at here on this board and I'm sure they'll be no slack cut for any future singer Page plays with ie; Leona Lewis.

Indeed...like I said, many more important issues in the world today than whether or not Plant tours with the ThreeJays. It's a matter of perspective, I s'pose...

Putting things into hypathetical perspective. If Zeppelin toured the states this year...the only people that would attend are CEO's and their children. Everyone else is broke in America. 8 years of brutal Republican rule has left our country in ruins.

At some point, ya have to put down the bong and pick up a shovel and go to work.

We have huge obstacles to over come in coming years. Both in our tiny bubble and in the nation and world.

Zeppelin will always be my favorite band. But, I'm not holding my breath on meeting any of them. Hasn't happened yet, probebly wont. I'm just not in the mood to party, at least not for the next few years. I've contemplated it a thousand times...I'd have nothing new to say, they havent heard from the other 50 million fans, lol.

At 47 years old, its time to take life seriously before we run out of time. There are plently of other young zep heads coming up the ladder to buy the cd's a hundred times over.

Rock on! No regrets! Best music EVER!

Archived