favourite concept album

caroselambra~

mine is radio KAOS - roger waters

not many people like this album including roger himself

i just like the welshness of it - looming mountains and pit choirs

does anyone have a concept album they consider to be their favourite and what makes it so?

:)

How's it going "caroselambra~?" I have always been fascinated with the cover of THE BEATLES SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND album. I love seeing John dressed in a lime green satin outfit, Ringo dressed in a pink satin outfit, Paul dressed in a blue satin outfit and George dressed in a orange satin outfit. It is THE BEATLES (LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND) at their very best. If you look closely near the bass drum, you'll see Marijuana plants. This album cover is the first true concept and artistic album of its kind that would make a long lasting statement in Rock n' Roll after its release on June 1, 1967. This album's impact in Rock n' Roll history continues to be felt to this very day. ROCK ON!

• 1 year later...

I have always thought Rush had great concept albums starting with 2112 and then Hemispheres. Also The Allen Parsons Project-I Robot and Tales of Mystery & Imagination.

I agree with Rush's 2112. Although it is only the first side of the album, I would definately classify this as a "concept" (1/2) album. Futuristic in nature and music (hence the title 2112). An instant and "timeless" musical endeavor.

I'd consider Pink Floyd's "Animals" a concept album, and unapproachable by any other group...

I concur. I think, I repeat, I think this is what each song is about (I don't know if they are actually about what I describe or not): Dogs is about someone (maybe Gilmour because he wrote it) and it's about the trials and tribulations of this said person. Pigs (Three Different Ones) is about the world and people that the band did/do not like. Sheep is about a person and/or people that are guilble and blind; basically follow-the-leader. And Pigs On the Wing, well that's self explanatory.

I concur. I think, I repeat, I think this is what each song is about (I don't know if they are actually about what I describe or not): Dogs is about someone (maybe Gilmour because he wrote it) and it's about the trials and tribulations of this said person. Pigs (Three Different Ones) is about the world and people that the band did/do not like. Sheep is about a person and/or people that are guilble and blind; basically follow-the-leader. And Pigs On the Wing, well that's self explanatory.

Nope.

Animals is loosely based on Orwell's Animal Farm. Pigs On The Wing are two love songs for Roger Waters' then girlfriend Carolyne that bookend the album. Dogs is about ruthless businessmen and how they stop at nothing to achieve what they want, only to end up dying miserable and alone for their efforts. Sheep are the everyday people who are gullible and naive, unable to think for themselves and do everything the Dogs tell them to. Pigs are the heavies, the suits.....the people in charge.

It's most definitely a concept album, though. Albeit one that takes some outside reading to understand.

Nope.

Animals is loosely based on Orwell's Animal Farm. Pigs On The Wing are two love songs for Roger Waters' then girlfriend Carolyne that bookend the album. Dogs is about ruthless businessmen and how they stop at nothing to achieve what they want, only to end up dying miserable and alone for their efforts. Sheep are the everyday people who are gullible and naive, unable to think for themselves and do everything the Dogs tell them to. Pigs are the heavies, the suits.....the people in charge.

It's most definitely a concept album, though. Albeit one that takes some outside reading to understand.

Well, some of them I was somewhat right. i guess it somewhat depends if you want to go that deep into the meaning of a song. And yes, I knew it was loosely based off Animal Farm; I just didn't know how much of it.

Archived