Which vocalists do you enjoy,and why?

dirigible dave

I like yours too (how could I forget James Taylor, Carly Simon, Carole King and Joni Mitchell?!), and I also forgot Bono :(

Oh yes, I agree with your choices too! I tell you when I start listing, there are so many out there, my mind draws a blank after a while, then I go back and am like "I forgot, so and so and so and so", LOL! :)

Most of the bands I enjoy have a great singer. From Iron Maiden to Patsy Kline,I enjoy all types.I am curious to see which vocalists you all enjoy,and why do you dig them?

Robert Plant - very very diverse and creativity in his voice (I love Fortune Teller his current song)

(Rock)

Aretha Franklin (Aretha - true to her cultural roots)

(Blues)

and my upbringing to current times, Indian music

Lata/Rafi (mainstream Film music, particularly the classic 60's and 70's, along with Zeppelin in my household, I am becoming very nostalgic.....

Qawali - Sabri Brothers/Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

(Soufi/Ishaq (Love) Poetry, ...not "religious")

and Music Director Khayam - Arabic/Persian music in Indian films, with likewise poetry....

I have come to known that Robert Plant in '81 has played Khayam's music (one musical piece in particular, Ghazal music from Umrao Jaan (every Indian's fav classic film) '81 at his stage prior to peformance).....pls. confirm otherwise, if anyone knows...

and that's it..

I also admire your "Iron Maiden" Energy....I am little too old for that....

Link for Robert Plant's interest in Indian Music Fate of Nations Tour:

http://www.oldbuckeye.com/ifmtl2.html

The "Fate Of Nations" tour had a bit of an Indian flavour to it

with concerts opening with the song "Dil Cheez Kya Hai" by Indian

singer Asha Bhosle from the film "Umrao Jaan" being played just

before Plant took to the stage. Also, one of the tour t-shirts

had an image of the goddess Lakshmi sitting in a lotus flower with

Plant posturing beneath it. Plant was also seen wearing a t-shirt

with a picture of the arab world's best known singer Om Kalsoum on

the front of it during some shows.

In no particuler order I'd nominate the following as being among my favourites.

The mighty Howlin' Wolf (simply has to be heard to be believed,taught Capt.Beefheart everything he ever sang).

Rory Gallagher (In my opinion a hugely underrated vocalist,he could sing blues,rock,folk,ballads,the lot).

Blind Willie McTell (Almost makes me wish I came from Georgia myself.Love the accent).

Little Junior Parker (Brilliant almost lazy sounding singer,every song sounds like a party)

Tina Turner (Mainly for her work with Ike,a soulful,powerfull singer that on a gospel ballad makes you want

some of that old time religion yourself).

Marianne Faithfull (Really it's her two voices I like.The sweet English rose of her early recordings and her more lived

in battle hardened vocals of her latter years are so far apart as its possible to sound,both are

great).

Jimmy Reed (Sounds so laid back as to be almost horizontal but what feeling).

Professor Longhair (The man who invented his own vocabulary,like the Wolf, sounds like nobody else).

Paul McCartney (Especially his 'rock' voice on things like 'Helter Skelter','Monkberry Moon Delight','Hi,Hi,Hi',etc).

Patti Smith (Especially on 'Horses',especially on 'Land').

David Gilmour

David Clayton Thomas

Don Henley

Bruce Springsteen

Beck

Robert Plant

David Cook

Justin Timberlake

Frank Sinatra

Toni Braxton

Christina Aguilera

Sarah Brightman

Mariah Carey

Kylie Minogue

Dusty Springfield

Rosemary Clooney

The McGuire Sisters

Robert Plant - very very diverse and creativity in his voice (I love Fortune Teller his current song)

(Rock)

Aretha Franklin (Aretha - true to her cultural roots)

(Blues)

and my upbringing to current times, Indian music

Lata/Rafi (mainstream Film music, particularly the classic 60's and 70's, along with Zeppelin in my household, I am becoming very nostalgic.....

Qawali - Sabri Brothers/Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

(Soufi/Ishaq (Love) Poetry, ...not "religious")

and Music Director Khayam - Arabic/Persian music in Indian films, with likewise poetry....

I have come to known that Robert Plant in '81 has played Khayam's music (one musical piece in particular, Ghazal music from Umrao Jaan (every Indian's fav classic film) '81 at his stage prior to peformance).....pls. confirm otherwise, if anyone knows...

and that's it..

I also admire your "Iron Maiden" Energy....I am little too old for that....

Link for Robert Plant's interest in Indian Music Fate of Nations Tour:

http://www.oldbuckeye.com/ifmtl2.html

The "Fate Of Nations" tour had a bit of an Indian flavour to it

with concerts opening with the song "Dil Cheez Kya Hai" by Indian

singer Asha Bhosle from the film "Umrao Jaan" being played just

before Plant took to the stage. Also, one of the tour t-shirts

had an image of the goddess Lakshmi sitting in a lotus flower with

Plant posturing beneath it. Plant was also seen wearing a t-shirt

with a picture of the arab world's best known singer Om Kalsoum on

the front of it during some shows.

I love both the Sabri Brothers and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan very much.

I love both the Sabri Brothers and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan very much.

Jeff Buckley on Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan- " Nusrat's every enunciation went straight into me...I remember my senses nearly froze in order to feel melody after melody crash upon each other in waves of improvisation."

Jeff Buckley on Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan- " Nusrat's every enunciation went straight into me...I remember my senses nearly froze in order to feel melody after melody crash upon each other in waves of improvisation."

Jeff talks about Nusrat on his Live at Sine cd calling him his "Elvis" and then sang a bit of him which was great!

Most of the bands I enjoy have a great singer. From Iron Maiden to Patsy Kline,I enjoy all types.I am curious to see which vocalists you all enjoy,and why do you dig them?

How's it going "dirigible" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? All of you have mentioned some great vocalists throughout music history. However, knowing all of the Wilson Brothers (Brian, Dennis and Carl) personally, it would be inappropriate of me to mention all of the great legendary vocalists that many of you have chosen without mentioning the Wilson Brothers from THE BEACH BOYS. In my opinion, Brian Wilson, in his prime, had the GREATEST falsetto voice ever. Brian's high pitch falsetto vocal range would sound so smooth and beautiful yet romantic. Carl Wilson also had a great falsetto voice but not quite like Brian's. However, Carl had one of the most beautiful angelic voices in Rock n' Roll history. Evidence of this is Carl's lead vocal in the song "God Only Knows" from the PET SOUNDS album released in 1966. Carl's voice on that song was perfect, it doesn't get any better than that. Of the three Wilson Brothers, Dennis was the biggest surprise that would blossom into not only a great singer, but a great and established songwriter. In my opinion, and since I did know Brian and Denny personally (I still keep in touch with Brian to this very day), Denny's creativity, when it came to songwriting and musical arrangements in the studio, Dennis was exactly like his older brother Brian. The only difference here is that Denny blossomed late in THE BEACH BOYS' career. As for Denny's voice, Dennis had a rough soothing voice that could change into a romantic voice at any given time on the same song. Of the three Wilson Brothers, Dennis had the Rock n' Roll voice. Evidence of this is heard in Denny's classic song entitled "Forever" from 1970. After doing some further research on Denny's songwriting, I have read some articles on the internet that support the fact that Denny was present as a co-writer with Billy Preston when the song "You Are So Beautiful" was written in 1974. This legendary song would be recorded by Joe Cocker and go on to becoming a very successful hit song that would earn millions. When you think of about it, all three Wilson Brothers had a special gift when it came to music. ROCK ON!

I have quite few favorite vocalists, but I was just listening to "Tiny Dancer", and even though I'm unfamiliar with most of his catalogue, I always thought Elton John had a very soothing singing voice.

I have quite few favorite vocalists, but I was just listening to "Tiny Dancer", and even though I'm unfamiliar with most of his catalogue, I always thought Elton John had a very soothing singing voice.

You can never go wrong with Elton, IMO! B)

Jeff talks about Nusrat on his Live at Sine cd calling him his "Elvis" and then sang a bit of him which was great!

....yes, Jeff is greatly missed...as will be the other two masters...Jeff's masterpiece is acknowledge by our very own Legendary Jimmy Page...I am sure his fans continue to explore his work...he is an important musician...someways he reminds me of young Jimmy Page, exploring music, life, people...and yes he remains OH! so beautiful...definitely a classy rock star in the making, gone so quickly!!!

...and that record I have listened to it...Jeff does sing quite well, honestly,... the qawali is a masterpiece "Yeh jo halka halka saroor hai"...Nusrat would often improvise different poetry in between the main verses, I have many different versions of it...The poetry is one of in-depth ever written by Urdu poets, a testimonial to their profound understanding of passion and it's purpose in the universe..

and I have will have to look into Santana...Caravansari...very profound, as it appears to be...

Another Nusrat fan here. I first heard of him via the Dead Man Walking soundtrack where he was singing with Eddie Vedder.

Jahfin...that is cool, I have seen Pearl Jam Live once...Eddie is much to be admired for the same reasons as Jeff Buckely was...Eddie has tremendous respect for both The Who and Led Zeppelin...

It is refreshing to see young musicians who value the work of their seniors....

....yes, Jeff is greatly missed...as will be the other two masters...Jeff's masterpiece is acknowledge by our very own Legendary Jimmy Page...I am sure his fans continue to explore his work...he is an important musician...someways he reminds me of young Jimmy Page, exploring music, life, people...and yes he remains OH! so beautiful...definitely a classy rock star in the making, gone so quickly!!!

...and that record I have listened to it...Jeff does sing quite well, honestly,... the qawali is a masterpiece "Yeh jo halka halka saroor hai"...Nusrat would often improvise different poetry in between the main verses, I have many different versions of it...The poetry is one of in-depth ever written by Urdu poets, a testimonial to their profound understanding of passion and it's purpose in the universe..

and I have will have to look into Santana...Caravansari...very profound, as it appears to be...

Robert is also a big Jeff Buckley fan :D

Do look into Caravanserai. I think it's Santana's best work - different but I love it.

Right now I'm really getting a bang out of country singer Jason Aldean. His voice really livens up songs like "Hicktown" and "She's Country" that would otherwise be your standard Big & Rich type of fare that I would probably ignore. He makes them sound not quite so gimmicky and . Then there's the song "Johnny Cash," which sounds so much better than Tracy Byrd's version. He gives it a on-the-edge, desperate, vulnerable side that Byrd could never have gotten out of the song. Love it. For mainstream country, it's pretty damn good. Just thought I'd share that, even though probably nobody wants to hear about it (it's 2 am, what can I say?).

Archived