Which vocalists do you enjoy,and why?

dirigible dave

I'm sure inlove with Robert Plant's voice, but I must say I enjoy other singers as well, specially if their sound is still good when singing live. Roger Waters is among them, his voice is quite beautiful and it hasn't really change a lot, I had the luck to hear him live and he still sounds incredible. Till Lindemann, the vocalist from Rammstein is another one I totally admire, with so much power in his voice and in his lyrics. Marilyn Manson is one of my fave singers since when I was in school, I was probably 14 or 15 when I started liking his music, I had the chance to see him live too and I must say I was blown away by his performance, and not to mention the quality of his voice, it was totally amazing, his concert was in september 2008, I was 24 and believe it or not, I went with my mom!!! hehehehe We went together to the Roger Waters concert too... :D

There's a lot more others, but I wont go into much detail, there's bands like Deep Purple, Styx, Queen, The Doors, those are my classic rock crushes. There's a few "not so new" ones too, like the Ret Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, Rob Zombie, Gorillaz, umm... I'm pretty sure there's more but that's all I remember right now hehehe

PEACE!! :hippy:

Well.. I've been around for awhile and have heard lots of music over the years Singers that I have loved over the years include. Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Neil Young, Robert Plant to name a few.

Others besides Robert would include Freddie Mercury, Jim Morrison, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Nicks, Don Henley, Ann Wilson, Sarah McLachlan, Gladys Knight, Ronnie Van Zant, Stephen Stills, Sting, Martina McBride, Dave Matthews, Adele, Alicia Keys and Barry White. I'm sure there are more too :)

It seems to me that this thread belongs in OTHER BANDS forum, because the question is about vocalists (plural) - if we talk LZ there's one and only fantastic vocalist, Percy.

In "others" category my list would be long and winding, because I like a lot of singers (it might be easier to list those I don't like) so I'll limit it to the ones I can readily remember:

Terry Reid

David Gilmour

Claire Hamill

Ray Davies

Victor Brox

Steve Marriott

Steve Kilbey

Steve Winwood

Peter Murphy

Tom Verlaine

Freddie Mercury

Ian Lloyd

Ian Gillan

Tim Buckley

Jeff Buckley

Brian May

Mariska Veres

Grace Slick

Dorothy Moskowitz

Pall Jenkins

Steve Bays (pre-Elevator only)

James Mercer

I'm gonna write only vocalists from groups

Robert Plant,Ian Gillan,Roger Daltrey,Eric Burdon,George Harrison,John Lennon,Freddie Mercury,Mark Knopfler,Gerry Marsden,Mickey Dolenz,George Michael,Colin Blunstone,Grace Slick,Brian May,Mick Jagger (I'm sure I have forgotten about somebody.. :unsure: )

next time I'll pick only solo singers

It seems to me that this thread belongs in OTHER BANDS forum, because the question is about vocalists (plural) - if we talk LZ there's one and only fantastic vocalist, Percy.

In "others" category my list would be long and winding, because I like a lot of singers (it might be easier to list those I don't like) so I'll limit it to the ones I can readily remember:

Terry Reid

David Gilmour

Claire Hamill

Ray Davies

Victor Brox

Steve Marriott

Steve Kilbey

Steve Winwood

Peter Murphy

Tom Verlaine

Freddie Mercury

Ian Lloyd

Ian Gillan

Tim Buckley

Jeff Buckley

Brian May

Mariska Veres

Grace Slick

Dorothy Moskowitz

Pall Jenkins

Steve Bays (pre-Elevator only)

James Mercer

Great list!!! I agree with most of them :D Besides those already mentioned in the thread I have to add Glenn Hughes to the list. Very excited to be seeing him in concert next month. His voice :wub:

Also Duffy, Leona Lewis, Joni Mitchell I would add too.

There's so many voices that I love. I couldn't list one as my fave or put them in any order... but I LOVE:

Sam Cooke

Aretha

Otis Redding

Eva Cassidy

Susan Tedeschi

BONNIE RAITT!

Amy Winehouse

Jim Cuddy (from the Canadian band Blue Rodeo, dunno how well known they are elsewhere)

Paul McCartney

Ella Fitzgerald

I also really really like Etta James, Steve Winwood, Magic Sam, Ray Charles, Eric Burdon...

Okay, so maybe it would have been more efficient to list the ones I DON'T like.

Too many to name but...

Robert Plant

Roger Waters

David Gilmour

John Lennon

Mick Jagger

Jim Morrison

Jerry Garcia

Nick Drake

Chris Robinson

Roger Daltry

Sandy Denny

David Crosby

Bob Dylan

Tom Waits

Thom Yorke

Captain Beefheart

Robert Smith

Eddie Vedder

Joni Mitchell

Grace Slick

:):):):):)B)

Others besides Robert would include Freddie Mercury, Jim Morrison, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Nicks, Don Henley, Ann Wilson, Sarah McLachlan, Gladys Knight, Ronnie Van Zant, Stephen Stills, Sting, Martina McBride, Dave Matthews, Adele, Alicia Keys and Barry White. I'm sure there are more too :)

Great list! I would add to mine: Alison Krauss, Vince Gill, James Taylor, Christina Aguilera, Patsy Cline, Otis Redding, Etta James, Ray Charles, Mariah Carey, Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Stevie Wonder, Fiona Apple, Sam Cooke, Dolly Parton, Faith Hill, Mary J. Blige, Seal, Kelly Clarkson, Paul Rodgers, Chrissie Hynde, Pat Benatar, India Arie, Jill Scott, Chaka Khan, Keith Urban, Sara Evans, Paul McCartney, Carrie Underwood, Steve Perry.............ok, I better stop there, there are lots more and if I don't stop now, I would be typing the rest of the night, LOL! I just love listening to vocalists who make me "feel" something when I listen to them, I mean can send shivers down my spine. :D

Great list! I would add to mine: Alison Krauss, Vince Gill, James Taylor, Christina Aguilera, Patsy Cline, Otis Redding, Etta James, Ray Charles, Mariah Carey, Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Stevie Wonder, Fiona Apple, Sam Cooke, Dolly Parton, Faith Hill, Mary J. Blige, Seal, Kelly Clarkson, Paul Rodgers, Chrissie Hynde, Pat Benatar, India Arie, Jill Scott, Chaka Khan, Keith Urban, Sara Evans, Paul McCartney, Carrie Underwood, Steve Perry.............ok, I better stop there, there are lots more and if I don't stop now, I would be typing the rest of the night, LOL! I just love listening to vocalists who make me "feel" something when I listen to them, I mean can send shivers down my spine. :D

I like yours too (how could I forget James Taylor, Carly Simon, Carole King and Joni Mitchell?!), and I also forgot Bono :(

Some of mine have been mentioned, but here is an abreviated list:

Of course, Robert Plant :)

Celine Dion

Don Henley

Glen Frey

Bee Gee's (all four brothers Gibb including Andy)

Garth Brooks

James Taylor

Carly Simon

Carole King

Bono

Van Morrison

Bon Scott and Brian Johnson

Andre Bocelli

Josh Groban

Celtic Women Group

Jewel

James Hetfield

David Crosby

Kurt Cobain

Doctor John

Roger Daltry

Stevie Nicks

Christine McVie

and many more....

Just to name a few:

Robert Plant (of course)

Chris Cornell

Layne Staley

Mark Lanegan

Jerry Cantrell

Eric Burdon

Mick Jagger (when the world was young)

Scott Weiland

Chris Robinson

David Crosby

Stephen Stills

Bono (in younger days)

Ray Dorset (Mungo Jerry)

John Kay

Iggy Pop

Jim Morrison

Ian Astbury

Steve Marriott

Paul Rodgers

Bon Scott

Of course I'll think of more later...

Great list!!! I agree with most of them :D Besides those already mentioned in the thread I have to add Glenn Hughes to the list. Very excited to be seeing him in concert next month. His voice :wub:

Also Duffy, Leona Lewis, Joni Mitchell I would add too.

who is glenn hughes touring with now? And I apologize to everyone for not putting this topic in the proper forum,I am new to this site and to the internet in general,so please give me a free pass just this once :unsure:

A lot of great ones already mentioned. Some of my favorite rock vocalists are Robert Plant (natch), Justin Hayward, Jon Anderson, and Geddy Lee and pondering now the reason why is because they have such unique, distinctive voices. And I've always favored British bands over American just because the accent is so darn cute. :D Likewise with the Aussie singers.

Am also into neoclassical/crossover in a big way, particularly tenors. My top three are Vittorio Grigolo, Mario Frangoulis and Andrea Bocelli. The reason I enjoy them so much, in a word, is it's ROMANTIC! They all can sing many languages beautifully & perfectly (to a lesser or greater extent, Mario is the best all-round).....English, Italian, Greek, Spanish, French, Latin, etc. Other than the English, I can't understand a word they're singing, it could be "I'm picking up a baby bumblebee" for all I know, but it sounds soooo incredibly sexy that I have to listen over & over again.

Here's a nice duet by Mario Frangoulis & Justin Hayward:

who is glenn hughes touring with now? And I apologize to everyone for not putting this topic in the proper forum,I am new to this site and to the internet in general,so please give me a free pass just this once :unsure:

No worries - the mods moved it :) Glenn is touring on his own.

No point in mentioning Robert, I guess. Except him, the one dominating my list is Bon Scott. Just gotta love his whiskey-soaked voice. And he was a great frontman too.

After these 2 comes Phil Lynott, Freddie Mercury and Stevie Ray Vaughan, who also have great, distinctive voices. Stevie sort of mixes his incredible guitar skills with his soulful voice. Too bad he's gone (just like Phil, Freddie and Bon actually). Good thing we still have Robert.

Others: Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, Albert King, Axl Rose, Jack White, Bob Dylan, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis Presley and so on...

- Freddie Mercury

- Robert Plant

- John Lennon

- Paul McCartney

- Jeff Buckley

- David Byrne

- Gerard Way

- Ed Roland

- Joni Micthell

- Brendan Benson

That's all for now. I can't think too clearly at the moment.

Archived