Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Led Zeppelin Official Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What is the TRUE meaning of Zoso?

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

PlantOneOnMe

PlantOneOnMe

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
I would like to know what Zoso really means. Not someone's opinion, but Jimmy Page's explanation of it.

Does anyone know if he has revealed that info? I've done a search but can't find it coming from the horse's mouth (so to speak)

SteveAJones

SteveAJones

The Alchemist's Archivist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,392 posts
Jimmy has never explained the meaning in detail. Even so, it has been solved by other scholars. Perhaps someone will repost it to this site sometime.

lzfan715

lzfan715

Forum's Janis Representative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,970 posts
If you ask some guy on youtube it's the day the world will end, and something like his brother will be the only one living.

No one reallly knows what it means.

Chris.

Chris.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Any investigation into the symbol would be helped by taking into account that it's not actually the word "Zoso." Jimmy's said a couple times in the past that the formation of something that looks like a word is purely coincidence.

SteveAJones

SteveAJones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,392 posts

Any investigation into the symbol would be helped by taking into account that it's not actually the word "Zoso." Jimmy's said a couple times in the past that the formation of something that looks like a word is purely coincidence.

Correct, and the meaning has been solved, I'm just not motivated enough to dig it out and post it here. Something to do with astrology and magick etc.

redeyedrichard

redeyedrichard

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts
This is the site most people have referenced in the past. Hope this helps:

http://www.intheligh.../zososymbol.htm

:thumbsup:

SteveAJones

SteveAJones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,392 posts

Whomp, there it is. That's the one.

lzfan715

lzfan715

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,970 posts
HE said it was just a doodle that he drew before Zeppelin while talking on the phone. I think he gave it a meaning at a later date. I don't give my doodles meaning, but I"m not Jimmy either.

SteveAJones

SteveAJones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,392 posts

HE said it was just a doodle that he drew before Zeppelin while talking on the phone.

Hardly. I don't recall him ever saying that anywhere.

RjK

RjK

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Jimmy does like to make people think doesn't he .............

RjK

lzfan715

lzfan715

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,970 posts
Yes, that he does.

ddot

ddot

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I was just watching a movie "Small Town Girl " 1936. I wasn't really paying attention and then one of the characters said, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "...............Stairway to Paradise" this really percked up my ears and watching the movie a little longer a character was introduced as "ZOSO" "Zoso" this and "Zoso"

could this classic film have been a partial inspiration? I guess we'll never know for sure.

Saved

Saved

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
isn't it some kind of magic rune or something? something to do with astrology.

PlantOneOnMe

PlantOneOnMe

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

This is the site most people have referenced in the past. Hope this helps:

:thumbsup:

Yes, I've read that explanation, and another explanation by some supposed expert. Problem is Jimmy Page is so private. I hope he one day reveals the meaning once and for all or agrees that the write-ups on it are either on the mark or false. Maybe he'll do a biography on himself one day , like Clapton has done, and tell us all what we want to know.

redeyedrichard

redeyedrichard

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Yes, I've read that explanation, and another explanation by some supposed expert. Problem is Jimmy Page is so private. I hope he one day reveals the meaning once and for all or agrees that the write-ups on it are either on the mark or false. Maybe he'll do a biography on himself one day , like Clapton has done, and tell us all what we want to know.

I think that link pretty much answers it. Just simply looking at the scan from 'Le Triple Vocabulaire Infernal' shows that Page didn't make the symbol up himself, but that it was there in amongst the text way back in 1848. When you read through it it makes sense. The thing with symbolism is that you can take an existing symbol and add your own meaning to it. There seems to be sources, included in the link, that suspect the 'oso' part to mean 666. This is not necessarily true, or at least not necessarily the meaning that Jimmy has adopted. I always find that link to be pretty solid with the evidence that it gives. Obviously, Page didn't just make the symbol up...but it came from his interest in the occult etc.

LedAndyZoSo

LedAndyZoSo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
conclusions anyone?

i just thort it was random

california girl

california girl

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Good answer!

Chris.

Chris.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks! Although I have to admit, I'm surprised Jimmy didn't look at that symbol initially and think, "It looks like a word."

nirvana

nirvana

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
"ZoSo" was never a "word"...although there IS a Word involved in its meaning.
It really encompasses a philosophy through thought and a Single Action...One Action that is...

Robert's Plant

Robert's Plant

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

I would like to know what Zoso really means. Not someone's opinion, but Jimmy Page's explanation of it.

Does anyone know if he has revealed that info? I've done a search but can't find it coming from the horse's mouth (so to speak)

Hi Zeppies,

This book called Led Zeppelin Talking by Lewis/Kendall.
It's all in there. Or almost. Bonzo's symbol, Robert's, JPJ's are explained.
Except of JP's.

HOME | NEWS | DISCOGRAPHY | TIMELINE | PHOTOS | VIDEO | 12.10.07 | MERCHANDISE | CONTACT

LedZeppelin.com