New 1968 Live shows for the 50th anniversary

Sticks of Fire

3 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Didn't Page recently tour the old venue in Spokane where they played? 

He was in Seattle recently but I hadn't heard about him being in Spokane.

Over at The Other Place in Louisiana, a poster has regularly said he knows for fact there will be 1968 live stuff "soon". No concrete evidence, but it'd be great from my perspective, especially if it was a pre-December '68 show

I guess that there would have to be at least one 68 soundboard out there. The question is what it sounds like performance-wise. The only reference we have is that December 1968 recording, which sounds a lot like a band that had just formed.  Then again, by Boston a month later they were on fire. Maybe they were already playing like that in October-November? If I had to guess, a pre-December ‘68 performance might as well be filled with Yardbirds songs.

Ready to be surprised though!

4 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Didn't Page recently tour the old venue in Spokane where they played? 

He recently stopped by the Green Lake Aqua Theatre in Seattle where Zeppelin opened for Three Dog Night in May of 1969.  Page was in town with his girlfriend Scarlett Sabet. She had a poetry reading Saturday at the Elliott Bay Bookk Company in Downtown Seattle.

Songs Remain the Same is a 1973 concert in NYC.

BBC shows are 1970-71 live recordings played in a theater.

How the West Was Won was a 1972 concert in California. 

How come there is no official 1975 -1977 tours. 

Dave Lewis of Tight but Loose magazine states that all of 1975 & 1977 were recorded for the band, 

I think what it comes down to is the performance on most of the 1977 tour were poor and not something Jimmy would want to be heard. 

I think the whole idea of Japan 1972 or 71 release would be a waste, same set list as the 1973 tour.   

1977 was not multi-tracked. They were going to do a multitrack at the end of the tour, as they'd done in '73 and '75, but the '77 tour got cut short when Robert Plant's son passed away.

As for '75, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the Earls Court setlist has been released officially, on the 2003 LZ DVD. But it would be fantastic to get a full audio-only Earls Court release.

Is Knebworth the only thing 100% multitracked post '75? Is there any chance there is a multitrack from 77 or 80 that's never been considered/spoken about by Jimmy and Co. up until now for whatever reason? Like the few times Jimmy raised it, Robert immediately at that time said nup, so outside of that the fact he has one has never escaped to the public?

Maybe, How else has Jimmy publicly stated he'd love to put a compilation of different eras together - unless he thinks Knebworth represents 77,79,80 - which sounds doubtful. Or, he would have been willing to polish some of the better boards from latter years to include.

Any chance at all????? :smiley_pray:

18 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Is Knebworth the only thing 100% multitracked post '75? Is there any chance there is a multitrack from 77 or 80 that's never been considered/spoken about by Jimmy and Co. up until now for whatever reason? Like the few times Jimmy raised it, Robert immediately at that time said nup, so outside of that the fact he has one has never escaped to the public?

Maybe, How else has Jimmy publicly stated he'd love to put a compilation of different eras together - unless he thinks Knebworth represents 77,79,80 - which sounds doubtful. Or, he would have been willing to polish some of the better boards from latter years to include.

Any chance at all????? :smiley_pray:

Very doubtful they multi'ed any 77' with the exception of Pontiac due to its historical significance and that is an extreme long shot. The reason being, as has been stated on this board ad nauseam, the band did indeed plan to record pro-shot pro-audio of the closing night of the third leg of the tour in August 77' at JFK Stadium. That gig sold around 105,000 seats I believe, all of which were refunded after the remaining dates were cancelled. As JFK would have soundly trounced the attendance record they just broke in Michigan, and they knew this before Pontiac, this is why I doubt Pontiac was multi'ed. So, my opinion is no date from 77' was multi'ed. However I am sure there is a soundboard of every show in Jimmy's possession which, coupled with an excellent audience recording (the LA run), would be almost as good so a professionally mixed matrix of an LA show, or a best of LA is actually quite easily done by Mr. Page.

The 80' tour was also not multi'ed as it was considered a warm-up for the first leg of a larger, multi-leg US tour starting in Montreal on me dad's 42nd birthday, October 17th, 1980. I would assume they had plans to multi and pro-shoot a gig or two from the US tour as they missed out on the 77' tour. Again, Page will have soundboards of every show so a matrix with a good audience of say Frankfurt, Mannheim, Munich, or another excellent show such as Rotterdam is easily doable.

On 6/27/2018 at 5:11 PM, pluribus said:

If I had to guess, a pre-December ‘68 performance might as well be filled with Yardbirds songs.

Probably just For Your Love and White Summer if this is a typical setlist that is accurate:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/led-zeppelin/1968/marquee-club-london-england-33de547d.html

Train Kept A-Rollin'

Dazed and Confused

White Summer/Black Mountain Side

For Your Love

Communication Breakdown

I Can't Quit You Baby

You Shook Me

Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

How Many More Times

As Long as I Have You

15 hours ago, 2bitnogoodjive said:

Probably just For Your Love and White Summer if this is a typical setlist that is accurate:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/led-zeppelin/1968/marquee-club-london-england-33de547d.html

Train Kept A-Rollin'

Dazed and Confused

White Summer/Black Mountain Side

For Your Love

Communication Breakdown

I Can't Quit You Baby

You Shook Me

Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

How Many More Times

As Long as I Have You

I believe they also performed I'am a Man (incl Moanin and Sobbing) and Over Under Sideways Down a few times as Jimmy played his ass off on both tunes.

The setlist on that website is listed as "probable", likely submitted by a fan. No actual setlist circulates for any of those early 1968 shows. 

For all anyone knows, Zeppelin's earliest shows could've been 100% Yardbirds songs.  They did start as "The New Yardbirds", after all. 

42 minutes ago, pluribus said:

The setlist on that website is listed as "probable", likely submitted by a fan. No actual setlist circulates for any of those early 1968 shows. 

For all anyone knows, Zeppelin's earliest shows could've been 100% Yardbirds songs.  They did start as "The New Yardbirds", after all. 

You’re correct.    That would be cool to hear but a set from Oct-Dec before the hit the US would be something to hear and probably of a “Zeppelin” list.    

I sure hope the rumors aren’t false and Jimmy throws us one gold nugget from his treasure of live tapes.    

What is the likelihood that a pre 70 show was multitracked? I know Jimmy was already an important figure in the music scene and that Zep achieved noteriety very quickly, but aren't the chances of a multitrack extremely slim for 68/69? Unless it was for a radio/tv show, I just don't think it's possible.

6 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

What is the likelihood that a pre 70 show was multitracked? I know Jimmy was already an important figure in the music scene and that Zep achieved noteriety very quickly, but aren't the chances of a multitrack extremely slim for 68/69? Unless it was for a radio/tv show, I just don't think it's possible.

Little to none... mobile recording technology was in it's  infancy in Europe during the late sixties. In fact by the mid seventies there were only three established players capable of recording live shows in Great Britain and continental Europe; Pye, Ronnie Lane MS and the Rolling Stones Mobile. European radio networks worked with two track reel tot reel decks patched to a small mixing console.

The recently released Yardbirds' Anderson show and the Who at the Fillmore (both from 1968)were recorded on a modest 4 track unit. The few 68 Zep live recordings (and they DO exist! Peter Grant needed them to work out the deal with Atlantic)  were most likely recorded onto reel to reel. Don't expect the sophistication of MSG 73 or Earls Court. multi's. If those early shows will see the light of day later this year, they will sound raw and exiting 

13 hours ago, duckman said:

The recently released Yardbirds' Anderson show and the Who at the Fillmore (both from 1968)were recorded on a modest 4 track unit. The few 68 Zep live recordings (and they DO exist! Peter Grant needed them to work out the deal with Atlantic)  were most likely recorded onto reel to reel. Don't expect the sophistication of MSG 73 or Earls Court. multi's. If those early shows will see the light of day later this year, they will sound raw and exiting 

This. King Crimson has been doing amazing things with horrible recordings for years. A four track reel to reel to work from could deliver us something exceptional with the bonus (for me at least) is that it is going to sound raw. 

16 hours ago, duckman said:

Little to none... mobile recording technology was in it's  infancy in Europe during the late sixties. In fact by the mid seventies there were only three established players capable of recording live shows in Great Britain and continental Europe; Pye, Ronnie Lane MS and the Rolling Stones Mobile. European radio networks worked with two track reel tot reel decks patched to a small mixing console.

The primitive by comparison RAH '70 show sounds better than the multitracked '72 HTWWW release in my book.

25 minutes ago, Strider said:

The primitive by comparison RAH '70 show sounds better than the multitracked '72 HTWWW release in my book.

Absolutely....and it's the historic importance and ass kicking playing that the fans want to experience. The mentality of... the show has to be from a multi-tracked source is nonsense. It's about time Zep fans who are aging get something worthwhile to listen to from the vaults. How fucking long will it be? Time is running out for us 50 something's and up! 😧

2 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

For the Zeppelin 1970 Summer tour of Germany they had a small 4 track reel-to-reel deck rolling for at least two shows.  

Those would be something to hear. 

What a pity this stuff is just languishing. Can you imagine hearing Berlin 1970!!  😱

On 6/27/2018 at 1:34 PM, 76229 said:

He was in Seattle recently but I hadn't heard about him being in Spokane.

Over at The Other Place in Louisiana, a poster has regularly said he knows for fact there will be 1968 live stuff "soon". No concrete evidence, but it'd be great from my perspective, especially if it was a pre-December '68 show

The first recorded Zeppelin performance actually did take place in Spokane 

4 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Absolutely....and it's the historic importance and ass kicking playing that the fans want to experience. The mentality of... the show has to be from a multi-tracked source is nonsense. It's about time Zep fans who are aging get something worthwhile to listen to from the vaults. How fucking long will it be? Time is running out for us 50 something's and up! 😧

This 100%.

Jimmy could probably release a great deal IF the real quality stuff was not stolen from him. And I'm sure not all of it was. He could for the 50th and beyond release shows covering all eras. And while maybe not the greatest recordings ever in terms of multitracks, big deal, as long as it is polished and can be pumped up on the player, go for it! We should be getting a stand alone EC and Knebworth, but also should get some really early shows and a 1980 show. even if it's a best of compilation (best of 69-70, best of 1980) we'd all love it.

Best band ever. So release some of the recordings!!!

I would love to see a good live recording released from 1968 or early 1969 when the band were taking audiences by storm and establishing themselves as a  musical force to be reckoned with. The mid to late years are fairly well documented in terms of live recordings, so let's hear something from their early formative primal stage as a band,

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:32 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

I came across this info from a video of the listening party for the Zep studio album remasters in 2014 . Page was asked about the first album remaster bonus disc Paris Olympia 69' concert recording … at 35 seconds he answers that the band didn't multitrack live shows until RAH 1/70.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELpnLmDtXWg

Archived