Bonzo with two kick drums

Where can I hear some of the beast with each foot on a kick pedal? I want to hear the destruction for myself..

I hate that term "The Beast" referred to Bonzo. Most would probably agree here. I'm sure his son Jason wouldn't like it either! :thumbdown:

Where can I hear some of the beast with each foot on a kick pedal? I want to hear the destruction for myself..

Bonham never used 2 that you can hear...Jonsey talked him out of it...with the words "You can do more with one foot that most drummers can do with two." thank goodness he did.

I hate that term "The Beast" referred to Bonzo. Most would probably agree here. I'm sure his son Jason wouldn't like it either! :thumbdown:

I agree 100%

Bonham never used 2 that you can hear...Jonsey talked him out of it...with the words "You can do more with one foot that most drummers can do with two." thank goodness he did.

I agree 100%

+1

One of the occasions could have been a recording of San Bernardino 1969...but until now, no tape has surfaced (yet)

A boot of the San Bernardino shows exists, though you could pretty much only hear Page. There's really no evidence to suggest that Bonham had his two bass drum setup for the San Bernardino show (no photos have surfaced). However, the next night in Anaheim (August 9, 1969) he definitely had a two bass drum setup as there are a few photos from the show (several of which had been misattributed to the San Bernardino show in "The Photographers Led Zeppelin" book.

A boot of the San Bernardino shows exists, though you could pretty much only hear Page. There's really no evidence to suggest that Bonham had his two bass drum setup for the San Bernardino show (no photos have surfaced). However, the next night in Anaheim (August 9, 1969) he definitely had a two bass drum setup as there are a few photos from the show (several of which had been misattributed to the San Bernardino show in "The Photographers Led Zeppelin" book.

Mike, you're amazing...thanks for putting the record straight!

It was indeed "the photographers Led Zep" that put me on the wrong foot.

Bonham recieved the extra kick drum or a set of two I can't remember as a present, he used to outshine most of the band with it Jimmy said, so he used to get the roadies to hide the extra one, and then when Bonham brought it back for the PG sessions, pagey had the roadies paid to destroy it permenantly because when he had both the kick drums it just compeletly deluded the rest of the band,

Why don't you guys like the term "the beast"?

It was usually used to describe him when he was drunk and on a rampage, so it has negative connotations of his "dark side". Not that the moniker probably wasn't often deserved, and it would be flattering if was referring to his beastly nature on the drums, but it really referred to his sometimes beastly off-stage behavior.

• 3 weeks later...

This is definitely not the Anaheim show. Both Jimmy and Robert were wearing different outfits. The other pictures above are from the Anaheim show (Jimmy in fringe and Robert in striped pants).

I don't remember seeing Robert Plant in striped pants that night in Anaheim, although he may have worn them.

PSTF-9-035-LDZN.jpg

Anaheim? I do remember a white, v-neck shirt on Robert Plant on that night. My memory is fuzzy about the pants. It's possible that he could have worn the same shirt and pants on both August 8 at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino and August 9 at the Convention Center in Anaheim in 1969.

• 1 month later...

For a long time I thought John played 2 bass drums until I saw The Song Remains The Same back in 1977. He certainly did not need the 2nd bass drum, but it would have been interesting anyway.

Just watched The Song Remains the Same - LA Forum 1977 on youtube. Ahh, after that amazing display he definitely does not need two bass drums. I'm a clown. I have the DVD and never caught that clip. That is just plain awesomeness. I wonder why they never played it as a standard song in their setlist? At the O2 show it looks like Jason is using a double bass pedal. I guess I will have to research. Very cool!

Just watched The Song Remains the Same - LA Forum 1977 on youtube. Ahh, after that amazing display he definitely does not need two bass drums. I'm a clown. I have the DVD and never caught that clip. That is just plain awesomeness. I wonder why they never played it as a standard song in their setlist? At the O2 show it looks like Jason is using a double bass pedal. I guess I will have to research. Very cool!

The Song Remains The Same was played at every show from '73-'79.

Archived