So depressed Mike Vick signs with my Eagles!

Wolfman

I've been a diehard Philadelphia Eagles fan for over thirty years now. Anyone that knows me knows my two biggest loves in life are Led Zeppelin and the Philadelphia Eagles. I'm also a huge dog lover who truly feels they rights that many people do not believe in. That said I've just found out that my beloved team has signed dog killer, Michael Vick, to a two year contract. I'm so depressed and angry that my season is ruined. I cannot follow or enjoy this team knowing he's part of it.

Some will say he paid his dues by going to jail for two years and that he lost millions. I don't. He was not charged with killing dogs (in brutal fashions no less) or even worse, STEALING PETS from people's backyards to use as bait. The guy was evil and I honestly do not believe he is sorry. This would still be going on if he wasn't caught. So what should I do people? Do I give up on a team I've followed by whole life due to one individual or do pull a useless boycott knowing it won't change anything? You'd really have to know me to know how important the Eagles' are to me so please keep in mind that this is a serious subject to me. Sports are not life but my NFL is a huge part of mine. Thoughts?

If you're familiar with the NFL, you know Tony Dungy is one of the good guys and classiest, most respected figures to ever be in the NFL. He has been mentoring Vick and Dungy's stamp of approval goes a long way, at least for me. He says Vick has changed and there are only a few people in the league I would trust more the Tony Dungy. But, we are not Tony Dungy so we don't know for sure.

I understand your disgust with Vick. But don't forget, there are people who have killed other human beings and are currently playing football. Leonard Little, a DE for the Rams has a very similar situation as Donte Stallworth about 8 years ago. He can back from his suspension and is still playing in the league. People have done worse things then him, which in no way depreciates his crimes in any way.

It's a personal decision and its up to you. I can only tell you how I feel, not how you should feel.

I agree with Zosodude13 - we can all share our feelings on the subject and what we would do but ultimately you have to do what you feel is best for you. What you are comfortable with. Maybe take a bit of time to think about things and weigh your feelings out.

I was wondering where he was going.(As every football fan was)

He paid his dues according to the law.Maybe not yours,but I do understand.

I'm not an animal lover by any means and I certainly don't hate them either.I most assuredly do not condone what he did.

Everyone is entitled to a second chance.Let's see if he can put his money where his mouth is,per se!

He was a very good player.Enjoy your pastime...

Thank your lucky stars you're not playing at my teams' house,Cleveland...I think The Dawg Pound would have ate him up! ;)

610xthepound.jpg

What he did was beyond wrong and inhumane. But does he not deserve a second chance?

I'm an animal lover for sure. Animals are much better than humans for many reasons...I won't go into that. But it seems to me the killing of an animal is considered a worse crime than killing a human being. Dany Heatley (of the Ottawa Senators) drove drunk and killed his buddy and team mate and it seems we've all forgotten about it and he's been playing hockey with no one making a big fuss for years.

I'm just saying....I'm no fan of his but if we were ever in his position we'd all hope for a second chance.

Alright Rorer714! I'm a Browns fan to!! I just knew there was no way in hell of him being signed to the Browns. He hates dogs :angry: As an animal lover and a vegetarian, I'm kind of shocked that the NFL let Vick the Prick back in in the first place. :o Well, I really do feel bad for you Wolfman. :(

Maybe I wont wear my Eagles t shirt with an x through it now after reading your story. I don't know why I had the t shirt to begin with (nothing personal against the Eagles but I'm a Browns fan). I couldn't tell ya how angry I would be.

In my eyes vick is a dirtbag. Killing helpless dogs for sport?/profit! Two years is not enough IMO, but the law is the law(for what it's worth).

I didn't think that he should be allowed to play again. If he wants to play maybe he should be playing with a bunch of pitbulls in a cage, not on the field and as someone who children look up to because of his position.

If he was on the Raiders(my fave team) I would not watch football anymore or I would choose a new favorite team. Not sure which way I'd go. Football is not real important to me, which it is to you.

I recommend writing a letter, email or even picketing outside the stadium for their first home game!

Hi Wolfman. I saw local reaction on Action News at 11pm tonight. They said 79% of people polled are against this disgusting excuse for a human (to paraphrase) being signed to the Eagles. I hope Philly fans will rise up and protest. I know if the majority do feel the disgust you do, there's a good chance they will join together and make their feelings known.

I can understand your deep regret that one of your favorite things in life is now ruined. I am not a football fan, but i will say that if my favorite musician (as an example) were to have been convicted of the things this scum admitted to, i would no longer be a fan. Even if it was Robert Plant or Bruce Springsteen (as examples of musicians who have made music i have loved and listened to for 30 years).

To anyone who believe this person has paid his dues, i ask you what kind of person does those things in the first place? What he did was sick (and so is he) and i don't see any difference between his actions and that of a serial killer. He is a torturer and a murderer. Philadelphia doesn't need this kind of psycho on their team. I hope we lose all the games this season.

I've heard that Philly fans were the worst in the league, now is an opportunity to show they are not the heartless scum they have been to opposing fans. ;)

By the way here in Louisisana they still have yet to do away with cock fighting. :slapface:

What he did was beyond wrong and inhumane. But does he not deserve a second chance?

I'm an animal lover for sure. Animals are much better than humans for many reasons...I won't go into that. But it seems to me the killing of an animal is considered a worse crime than killing a human being. Dany Heatley (of the Ottawa Senators) drove drunk and killed his buddy and team mate and it seems we've all forgotten about it and he's been playing hockey with no one making a big fuss for years.

I'm just saying....I'm no fan of his but if we were ever in his position we'd all hope for a second chance.

People KNOW drunk driving is dangerous. But it's obvious that while drunk driving is stupid, and selfish, it's not premeditated murder. I won't argue how sad it is when someone hurts or kills innocent people because of this illegal activity. But, what this scumbag did was not only premeditated, it's just plain sick. Anyone who gets their jollies the way he did doesn't deserve a second chance. However, if you argue that he does, i don't think it should be making tons of money. Maybe digging ditches for the rest of his life. (yeah i admit if it was up to me, his penalty would have been much harsher than two years).

I think it needs to be in perspective. Michael Vick did a cruel, disgusting act; but it can't be put above killing another human being.

-Michael Vick recieved 21 months for financing a dog fighting operation and personally killing several dogs. Followed by community service and therapy.

-Donte Stallworth (another football player) was drunk driving and killed a man. He recieved 30 days in jail (served 28) and will compensate the family for several million dollars. He will serve X# of hours in community service.

Both men agreed to plea deals.

Something seem out of order, or us it just me?

I think if you were to get behind the scenes and really get to know the athletes that make up a team like the Eagles (or any other) you'd realize that quite a few have vices, opinions, and WTF'S!! that make up their lives. You know about Vick because he was caught. ;)

Just enjoy the sport.

I think it needs to be in perspective. Michael Vick did a cruel, disgusting act; but it can't be put above killing another human being.

-Michael Vick recieved 21 months for financing a dog fighting operation and personally killing several dogs. Followed by community service and therapy.

-Donte Stallworth (another football player) was drunk driving and killed a man. He recieved 30 days in jail (served 28) and will compensate the family for several million dollars. He will serve X# of hours in community service.

Both men agreed to plea deals.

Something seem out of order, or us it just me?

From what I've read, Stallworth hit a man that ran out in front of his car - it could have happened to someone who was sober, and was not intentional. I don't condone drinking and driving, but it's something most of us have witnesses people who we consider "decent" do. Either way, Stallworth is suspended for the entire season, and Vick will be cleared to play.

What Vick did was not just intentional - he was proud of it, within his circle of scum. A big man, with the most badass dogs. He laughed as "bait" dogs were torn apart, and smugly kicked back afterward, aglow in his perception that he ruled on and off the field. Any sorrow he expresses now, is for his own career and loss of "image".

The Eagles made a bad move. Even with McNabb's history of injury, they have a competant backup in Feely, and a recent top pick in Kolb. Vick was one of the worst passers to stay around the game, and his running ability made for nice highlights for video games and little else. Although the Eagles were a rival of my Giants, I had grown to respect their commitment to team goals. Now, they're just the "Damn Dirty Eagles" again...

He (Vick) disgusts me and I am ashamed that we went to the same school :( I am not an NFL fan anyway but am really disappointed that the teams will take him (or others) who have committed crimes like that.

This is very interesting Virginia. I was discussing this scum with some co-workers tonight. One said that growing up in the South, its a "cultural" thing to engage in dog fighting. She tried to say he didn't know any better because this is how he was raised. Well, i'm not buying it, but since you actually went to school with him, you can shed some light on her opinion for me. While talking to another co-worker who loves football, but finds what he did to be disgusting, we compared his killing of dogs to killing a baby. Both innocent and defenseless.

Again, to anyone who wants to use drunk driving or accidents that kill others while driving, it's not a fair comparison. You are comparing "accidents" to someone intentionally killing an animal for NO PURPOSE! Should drunk drivers face harsher penalties then many do when they kill someone? Of course.

I was wondering where he was going.(As every football fan was)

He paid his dues according to the law.Maybe not yours,but I do understand.

I'm not an animal lover by any means and I certainly don't hate them either.I most assuredly do not condone what he did.

Everyone is entitled to a second chance.Let's see if he can put his money where his mouth is,per se!

He was a very good player.Enjoy your pastime...

Thank your lucky stars you're not playing at my teams' house,Cleveland...I think The Dawg Pound would have ate him up! ;)

610xthepound.jpg

Speaking of second chances, George W. Bush got a second chance. What more needs to be said...

Edit: my issue isn't that the NFL let him back in, it's that my city took the scumbag.

Edited by ~tangerine~

This is very interesting Virginia. I was discussing this scum with some co-workers tonight. One said that growing up in the South, its a "cultural" thing to engage in dog fighting. She tried to say he didn't know any better because this is how he was raised. Well, i'm not buying it, but since you actually went to school with him, you can shed some light on her opinion for me. While talking to another co-worker who loves football, but finds what he did to be disgusting, we compared his killing of dogs to killing a baby. Both innocent and defenseless.

Again, to anyone who wants to use drunk driving or accidents that kill others while driving, it's not a fair comparison. You are comparing "accidents" to someone intentionally killing an animal for NO PURPOSE! Should drunk drivers face harsher penalties then many do when they kill someone? Of course.

I've lived in Virginia all my life and I"ve never known people to do that. :( I can't remember exactly where he is from, but it definitely wasn't done at Virginia Tech and I haven't heard of it being done anywhere I've lived (and I've lived in Northern, Southwest and Central Virginia).

Now I am not a fan of pit bulls; I think they are unpredictably dangerous and should never be around children (had to pull my child out of a home daycare for several weeks once while a pit bull was visiting the home). But I don't want to see any harm come to an animal either.

I bet Marcus Vick is happy that Michael took the spotlight off his (Marcus') equally disgusting legal issues for a while <_< And we thought Michael was the "good" Vick before ... :(

I've lived in Virginia all my life and I"ve never known people to do that.

Now I am not a fan of pit bulls; I think they are unpredictably dangerous and should never be around children

As I mentioned before, my mom lives near Charlottesville, and volunteers at at an animal rescue center. The native Virginians do tend to neglect their dogs, especially the ones who use them to hunt. It's very common for them to abandon the dogs when the get old or sick, and some get shot. They don't receive many animals that look like they were used for fighting, but maybe these victims are disposed of. Either way, this continues - because there are so many caring, forgiving people there to shelter and treat the abused animals. Sadly, it almost becomes their essential role in life.

I've seen very few pit bulls in those parts, but the number of young people up here in New York that have them is ridiculous. There is no American "tradition" to owning and conditioning this breed - it is an "image enhanser" that stems from impoverished areas such as the Carribean. They are vicious in nature, and will attack anything it sees as vulnerable, if not trained properly and kept under control. Owners will tell you differently, because obviously dogs are usually loyal and protective to their own households. This month alone, my submissive Golden Retriever was attacked by three times at the dog parks, and I was bit the last time. I was given assurances each time by the owners that the pit bulls were fine with other dogs and people, so I let them come near. None of the owners attempted to separate their dogs from me or my dog, and one asshole was snickering during the attack.

This why I feel an example needs to be set with Vick. Any successful return he has to wealth or acceptance in society will demonstrate once again how scum can rise above goodness. I hear they want to make him a spokesperson against animal cruelty - will anyone hear the message, or just see a guy who has it all handed back to him?

Speaking of second chances, George W. Bush got a second chance. What more needs to be said...

Edit: my issue isn't that the NFL let him back in, it's that my city took the scumbag.

Hey! I didn't vote for him!

He was going to go somewhere (I'm surprised that it wasn't the Raiders) ... I'm sure that there are plenty of fans at home and around the league that are going to greet him with hostility.He may never get over that.It could be a sentence he'll never live down.Karma works in mysterious ways. ;)

Maybe you can get him to volunteer at an animal shelter.Seems that would be the least he could do if he was truly sorry.It would have to be after his probation because he can't be around dogs while he's on it.

Dog fighting has been around for a long time.(I'm sure you know that)It's been big here in NC and I'm sure,all over the country.

Like your friend said,he probably was raised around it.Which would explain his numbness towards animals.That's the sad part.

I'm not condoning this nor am I making excuses for him.It is illegal and he knew it,he got caught and paid the price that was set forth by lawmakers.Perhaps he is sorry,it's still his cross to bear.

As I mentioned before, my mom lives near Charlottesville, and volunteers at at an animal rescue center. The native Virginians do tend to neglect their dogs, especially the ones who use them to hunt. It's very common for them to abandon the dogs when the get old or sick, and some get shot. They don't receive many animals that look like they were used for fighting, but maybe these victims are disposed of. Either way, this continues - because there are so many caring, forgiving people there to shelter and treat the abused animals. Sadly, it almost becomes their essential role in life.

I've seen very few pit bulls in those parts, but the number of young people up here in New York that have them is ridiculous. There is no American "tradition" to owning and conditioning this breed - it is an "image enhanser" that stems from impoverished areas such as the Carribean. They are vicious in nature, and will attack anything it sees as vulnerable, if not trained properly and kept under control. Owners will tell you differently, because obviously dogs are usually loyal and protective to their own households. This month alone, my submissive Golden Retriever was attacked by three times at the dog parks, and I was bit the last time. I was given assurances each time by the owners that the pit bulls were fine with other dogs and people, so I let them come near. None of the owners attempted to separate their dogs from me or my dog, and one asshole was snickering during the attack.

This why I feel an example needs to be set with Vick. Any successful return he has to wealth or acceptance in society will demonstrate once again how scum can rise above goodness. I hear they want to make him a spokesperson against animal cruelty - will anyone hear the message, or just see a guy who has it all handed back to him?

Jimmie Ray, so sorry about you and your dog getting bit. Thanks for the additional information. I think that this issue needs to be taken more seriously and dealt with more harshly.

Agreed, this scum is undeserving of the generosity being handed to him. How can someone feel remorse when they don't have a conscience in the first place? As one spokesperson said, "i don't believe he feels remorse for what he did, just for getting caught". I'm so disappointed in my city.... and i don't even care about football. Your post was very well said.

Hey! I didn't vote for him!

He was going to go somewhere (I'm surprised that it wasn't the Raiders) ... I'm sure that there are plenty of fans at home and around the league that are going to greet him with hostility.He may never get over that.It could be a sentence he'll never live down.Karma works in mysterious ways. ;)

Maybe you can get him to volunteer at an animal shelter.Seems that would be the least he could do if he was truly sorry.It would have to be after his probation because he can't be around dogs while he's on it.

Dog fighting has been around for a long time.(I'm sure you know that)It's been big here in NC and I'm sure,all over the country.

Like your friend said,he probably was raised around it.Which would explain his numbness towards animals.That's the sad part.

I'm not condoning this nor am I making excuses for him.It is illegal and he knew it,he got caught and paid the price that was set forth by lawmakers.Perhaps he is sorry,it's still his cross to bear.

As i thought about the "second chance" excuse so many have been saying (not just here, but on the news and in the papers) i thought, hmmmm... and you know who came to mind, lol. I actually can say George's name now, and i don't feel so much animosity. Out of sight out of mind :)

I didn't think you were condoning his behavior. I saw you already said you weren't. The thing about my co-worker, who imo was defending this scum, is that she said "i don't hate animals, but i am afraid of them". I was surprised to hear this, but made sense that she wouldn't see how sick this man's actions are if she views animals as something to fear.

Anyway, i just wish any other team would have taken him back. At least hearing about this atrocious scum wouldn't be on my local news.

What an asshole organization I'm a fan of. On the Eagles official forum, I posted some pics of dogs after they've been in a dog fight to show some the pro-Vick people why people like me are so upset. They permanently banned me and said I'm a "spammer." So unless I'm all rah-rah about this dirtbag being on my team, I'm not allowed to state my opinion. The funny part is that you got people cursing each other over this but I show pics of this horrible "sport" and I'm the bad one. F this jerkoffs!