The Groupie Thing

Evster2012

An observation:

Zeppelin (particularly Page) get a black mark in history for indulgences with underage girls. They're a dangerous band right? Now let's hop down to the KISS camp with their comic books and lunchboxes. So much kiddie fun! Ironic isn't it how the kids in the backseat would sing along while mom and dad sat up front completely oblivious to the subject when Casey Kasem played this little ditty on the AM radio back in 1978?

"Back for their 6th week in America's Top 40, here's that colorful band from New York, KISS, with their hit single Christine Sixteen!"

She's got me dizzy, she sees me through to the end

She's got me in her hands and there's no use in pretending

Christine sixteen, Christine sixteen

She drives me crazy, I want to give her all I've got

And she's hot every day and night, there is no doubt about it

"I don't usually say things like this to girls your age, but when I saw you

coming out of the school that day, that day I knew, I knew, I've got to have

you, I've got to have you."

She's' been around, but she's young and clean

I've got to have her, can't live without her, whoo no

Guess Gene Simmons gets a free pass. :rolleyes:

*A bit of trivia: This song was co-written with two up and coming rockers from Pasadena, California by the names Eddie and Alex Van Halen. Due to contracts they were never credited. The demo exists, and evidently Ace Frehley played Eddie's solo note for note. Whether it ever sees the light of day is up to the "Demon".

**Van Halen called their 1981 tour the "Hide Your Sheep" tour. :o

Yeah I remember when this song came out ( in fact Iwas probably around 14 or 15 myself), but I never really thought about the lyrics at the time. I guess the same thing could be said about Ringo's "You're Sixteen" or Benny Mardones' "Into The Night" too, but I never heard any complaints about those songs & radio stations still played them.

Yeah I remember when this song came out ( in fact Iwas probably around 14 or 15 myself), but I never really thought about the lyrics at the time. I guess the same thing could be said about Ringo's "You're Sixteen" or Benny Mardones' "Into The Night" too, but I never heard any complaints about those songs & radio stations still played them.

The critics and media never gave LZ a break , especially at the beginning. Just a bunch of idiots and most still are..and the critics also seem to forget that they were only in their early twenties when they became HUGE...

Ev, great observation:-)

Gene's age-does-not-really-matter attitude is stated in his song "Going Blind"

Little lady, can't you see

You're so young and so much different than I

I'm 93, you're sixteen

Can't you see I'm goin' blind

'Cause, I think I'm goin' blind

And I know how it should be, yeah

93, you perv, lol!

NOT condoning anything here--but "Only Sixteen" and such are a bit different because 16 was the legal age of consent at the time those songs were written, at least in the UK where I was at the time, not sure about the US. So, strictly speaking, nothing illicit was being suggested in such songs, although it was also assumed that the guy in the song was an appropriate age for a 16-year-old girl. Not, say, 93! :D

I never thought twice about that stuff back in the day, and now that I have a daughter who is almost 16, I gotta admit, it does bother me. But those guys would never be able to get away today with the stuff they did back then; it was a very different time.

I'm 93, you're sixteen

93, you perv, lol!

I came THIS CLOSE to posting those lyrics as well! :lol:

I just didn't want to turn it into a KISS lyrics thread. :lol:

NOT condoning anything here--but "Only Sixteen" and such are a bit different because 16 was the legal age of consent at the time those songs were written, at least in the UK where I was at the time, not sure about the US. So, strictly speaking, nothing illicit was being suggested in such songs, although it was also assumed that the guy in the song was an appropriate age for a 16-year-old girl. Not, say, 93! biggrin.gif

In Louisiana the age of consent with parental permission was at one time 13 years old. Women had babies at a young age because the agricultural economy demanded a sufficient number of workers to raise and harvest crops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5vFgDUbRPY

Just a slight tangent, but my best friend's father was a huge KISS fan back in the 70s. I mean, went to concerts with his face painted up, the whole nine yards. Well, when he met her mother back in 1980, they agreed that all their children would be named after their favorite band/artist's songs. So you have:

Julia Michelle (The Beatles)

Christine Beth (KISS)

Caroline Rose (Neil Diamond)

Honestly, I think that's pretty neat. My best friend Christine is the middle child.

/end tangent

An observation:

Zeppelin (particularly Page) get a black mark in history forindulgences with underage girls. They're a dangerous band right? ...

I think Zep and Pagey may be tagged with black marks by some because they were so much bigger and more successful than other bands - and the Zep guys were more open (especially when they were in LA) about it. Really, what they were doing wasn't any different from what so many other bands and musicians were engaged in during that era. This song is badly dated now but at the time it was released, everyone understood it or could relate to it in one way or another: Born Late 58

http://www.youtube.c...?v=HWaLavsA9w0]

Groupies can be a lot of things I guess. I usually see each one of them as an individual.

Each one certainly was and is an individual.

I'm 93, you're sixteen

93, you perv, lol!

I like The Melvins cover of that song.

Groupies can be a lot of things I guess. I usually see each one of them as an individual.

They are what they are or were, as the case may be.

It was a different time, sure, but that doesn't excuse some of the antics that most bands got up to with young girls and boys for that matter.

As for Gene Simmons, he reckons he has had sex some 3000 times but I'd bet for the most part he was alone!

As a parent myself it bothers me that there are those who might take advantage of impressionable teenagers. g

My daughters are sensible, don't do drugs (and believe meI know the signs!), drink or smoke and I trust them implicitly.

But as I have said to them on many occasions you never know who you can trust so never put yourself in that situation.

Woe betide anyone who messes with my kids!

In Louisiana the age of consent with parental permission was at one time 13 years old. Women had babies at a young age because the agricultural economy demanded a sufficient number of workers to raise and harvest crops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5vFgDUbRPY

You can still get a driver's license at 15, because the kids needed to be able to drive because of the needs of the agricultural industry.

However, Louisiana's laws have never been quite like everywhere else, due to being based on the Napoleonic Code. So I discovered, when I forked over a vast amount of money for a computer program that would enable me to draw up my own will, that the first thing that appeared on the screen was "Valid in every state except Louisiana." :slapface::slapface:

Anyway, back to the point. Back then sixteen was the "magic age"--you could get married at 16 (again, in the UK) and many did, so those songs didn't have the same connotations. They were more like--OK, now she's old enough, let's go! (Which isn't much better, I suppose.)

I think Zep and Pagey may be tagged with black marks by some because they were so much bigger and more successful than other bands - and the Zep guys were more open (especially when they were in LA) about it. Really, what they were doing wasn't any different from what so many other bands and musicians were engaged in during that era. This song is badly dated now but at the time it was released, everyone understood it or could relate to it in one way or another:

I agree with you.

After all they were the biggest and most brilliant rock band in the 70's.

There would have been the considerable many exaggerations too,I guess.

In fact none of them broke their family life during their Zep era.

An observation:

Zeppelin (particularly Page) get a black mark in history for indulgences with underage girls. They're a dangerous band right? Now let's hop down to the KISS camp with their comic books and lunchboxes. So much kiddie fun! Ironic isn't it how the kids in the backseat would sing along while mom and dad sat up front completely oblivious to the subject when Casey Kasem played this little ditty on the AM radio back in 1978?

"Back for their 6th week in America's Top 40, here's that colorful band from New York, KISS, with their hit single Christine Sixteen!"

She's got me dizzy, she sees me through to the end

She's got me in her hands and there's no use in pretending

She drives me crazy, I want to give her all I've got

And she's hot every day and night, there is no doubt about it

"I don't usually say things like this to girls your age, but when I saw you

coming out of the school that day, that day I knew, I knew, I've got to have

you, I've got to have you."

She's' been around, but she's young and clean

I've got to have her, can't live without her, whoo no

Guess Gene Simmons gets a free pass. :rolleyes:

*A bit of trivia: This song was co-written with two up and coming rockers from Pasadena, California by the names Eddie and Alex Van Halen. Due to contracts they were never credited. The demo exists, and evidently Ace Frehley played Eddie's solo note for note. Whether it ever sees the light of day is up to the "Demon".

**Van Halen called their 1981 tour the "Hide Your Sheep" tour. :o

How's it going "Evster" my buddy? I hope all is well with you. I should have known that you would write a thread on jailbait! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!! I always loved the song that RINGO STARR made famous in the 1970's, its called "You're Sixteen (You're Beautiful And You're Mine). Before I begin, I would like to dedicate this song to all of the pretty 16 year olds here on the forum whoever you may be. Ha Ha! It goes like this as follows:

YOU'RE SIXTEEN (YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL AND YOU'RE MINE)

Written by R. & R. Sherman

You come on like a dream, peaches and cream

Lips like strawberry wine

You're sixteen, you're beautiful and you're mine

You're all ribbons and curls, ooh what a girl

Eyes that sparkle and shine

You're my baby, you're my pet

We fell in love on the night we met

You touched my hand, my heart went pop

Ooh when we kissed, I could not stop

You walked out of my dreams, and into my arms

Now you're my angel divine

You're my baby, you're my pet

We fell in love on the night we met

You touched my hand, my heart went pop

Ooh when we kissed, I could not stop

You walked out of my dreams, and into my car

Now you're my angel divine

A-M-E-N!!!!!!!!!! ROCK ON!

Well, to be fair, the original by Johnny Burnette was a big hit before Ringo covered it--RS didn't make it famous. ;)

Why hello "Aquamarine!" How's it going? Long time no hear. I miss our conversations here on the Forum. You are absolutely CORRECT, Johnny Burnette did make it famous, however, Ringo re-made it famous by bringing it back in the 1970's and gave the song an additional lift. But Johnny Burnette did originally make the song famous as you pointed out. Like I always said, two heads are better than one! ROCK ON my friend!

NOT condoning anything here--but "Only Sixteen" and such are a bit different because 16 was the legal age of consent at the time those songs were written, at least in the UK where I was at the time, not sure about the US. So, strictly speaking, nothing illicit was being suggested in such songs, although it was also assumed that the guy in the song was an appropriate age for a 16-year-old girl. Not, say, 93! :D

Hi All, consider this,

Muhammad, born in 570AD and died in 632AD making him about 62 years old, he took a Bride when she was 9 years old, and they say Rock'n'Roll is debauched.

TheReligionofPeace.com A Guide to Understanding Islam.

"Muhammad married Aisha at the age of nine."

"The girl took her dolls with her to Muhammad's house (something to play with when the "prophet" was not having sex with her)."

"Muhammad would take a bath with the little girl and fondle her."

"Muhammad's sexual antics are an embarrassment to those Muslims who are aware of them. This is particularly so for their prophet's marriage to Aisha when she was 9-years-old. The thought of a 52-year-old man sleeping and bathing with a young girl is intensely unpleasant and it reflects the disgusting character of a sexual glutton rather than a holy man. Critics even allege that Muhammad was a pedophile."

"Some Muslims respond by denying the hadith itself, which is a mistake. The accounts of Muhammad sleeping with a 9-year-old are no less reliable than those on which the five pillars of Islam are based. They have been an accepted part of tradition and did not become controversial until social mores began to change with the modern age."

http://www.thereligi...ds-sex-life.htm

And People once thought Rock'n'Roll was a bad influence on their Kids, just goes to show that it has all been done before, only better, or worse, from you own point of view that is.

Regards, Danny

PS, "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter"

But that was between 572 AD and 632 AD. Life expectancies were different then.

Hi ET,

I'm sure that aged "9" was as unpalatable then as it is now, and "God" as well as one of his "Prophets" should have know that one day people and societies would not accept this as "Righteous Behavior" agreed?

Regards, Danny

Hey, leave me out of that one, Danny!

Hi Aqua,

What one is that then? "Rock'n'Roll" or the "Slaughter" you are of course invited, plus a guest, but its up to you if you want to "Debauched" or whatever happens to people at these parties, i dont know as i never get invited to these type of "Family Do's". :lol:

Regards, Danny

Archived