Plant does the O2 11th Sept 09

No1ZeppelinFan

Thank you so much for posting the new videos!!

Love the man and his hermonica!smile.gif

You can tell he really enjoyed himself when singing the older songs...not the usual fare people seem to expect of him(Black Dog,etc.)Though I am a die hard Zep fan,those songs are better left to the Zep days.I thoroughly enjoy just watching and listening to him when he is obviously doing the same...not just the token song...you can tell he is ever so bored of them no matter how he tries to change them up...Can't blame him!!slapface.gif

Am anxiously awaiting to hear of new material and collaberation...have my speculations,but will have to just wait and see I guess!!

Thank you so much for posting this!

And here is Black Dog from last night.

Funny, as I listened I was thinking..."What would the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sound like doing Black Dog?" :hysterical:

Great to see Justin.

Robert's hair? :blink: Easy on whatever the hell he put on it. :wacko:

Ya know ol Tom Jones doesn't look so bad for his age. :D

Ummmm sorry folks but I can't get into this. Please robert quit experimenting with the zep songs. It's a big let down to hear them like this. Just my personal opinion folks don't get mad at me.

It's totally ok to say you don't like it. But I think Robert will do what he wants.

Funny, as I listened I was thinking..."What would the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sound like doing Black Dog?" hysterical.gif

Great to see Justin.

Robert's hair? blink.gif Easy on whatever the hell he put on it. wacko.gif

Ya know ol Tom Jones doesn't look so bad for his age. biggrin.gif

Shhhhhhh...please don't give him any ideas.

It is paramount that if he does anything with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir it must be a Christmas song.

Otherwise people will mistake him for Alice Cooper because it will be a scene right out of Halloween or the set of the Adams Family. Before you know it they'll be dressing Alison Krauss as Morticia, and people will confuse T-Bone Burnett with Lurch. Although if he could get Elvira, Mistress of the Dark to introduce everyone, I am certain that part would work perfectly.

If this is not solid testament as to why Robert is no longer interested in rehashing the past, I don't know what is.

I understand what you are saying. However, if he really is no longer interested in rehashing the past, then why play those songs and why the need to change them? He has a huge solo catalog that could have been tapped into. His voice does sound very strong, but I am tired of hearing these songs reworked and reworked, etc. <_< Just my opinion.

It is often questioned "why he still sings Zeppelin songs if he doesn't want to be in Zeppelin anymore". My understanding of him not want to rehasing the past is, he doesn't want to take the Led Zeppelin "bigger than life" rollercaster again, the whole package of media hype and business negotiation etc etc. It's obvious he still loves the music of Led Zeppelin, that's why he keeps the songs in his set. But to come back onto the mothership, things will get too much complicated, the high won't be worth of the low(to him at least), and he is no longer the Golden God of old.

And as he has stated many times, that kind of music was fired by youth, and Led Zeppelin was the collective effort of four members with incredible chemistry and intergrity, it's impossible to repeat it. That's also a reason I think why he rearranged these songs, it's the same with him changing his style through the years.

What should this man do? He got bitten when he refused to do Zeppelin songs, he got bitten when he did. There are people don't like the reworked versions, and I'm sure some fans would also be hugely pissed if he delivered the songs exactly in Zeppelin style. It's difficult to please all the people, and surely fans don't need to praise everything he does, but it's his right to do what he wants, as long as it's legal. ;)

It is often questioned "why he still sings Zeppelin songs if he doesn't want to be in Zeppelin anymore". My understanding of him not want to rehasing the past is, he doesn't want to take the Led Zeppelin "bigger than life" rollercaster again, the whole package of media hype and business negotiation etc etc. It's obvious he still loves the music of Led Zeppelin, that's why he keeps the songs in his set. But to come back onto the mothership, things will get too much complicated, the high won't be worth of the low(to him at least), and he is no longer the Golden God of old.

And as he has stated many times, that kind of music was fired by youth, and Led Zeppelin was the collective effort of four members with incredible chemistry and intergrity, it's impossible to repeat it. That's also a reason I think why he rearranged these songs, it's the same with him changing his style through the years.

What should this man do? He got bitten when he refused to do Zeppelin songs, he got bitten when he did. There are people don't like the reworked versions, and I'm sure some fans would also be hugely pissed if he delivered the songs exactly in Zeppelin style. It's difficult to please all the people, and surely fans don't need to praise everything he does, but it's his right to do what he wants, as long as it's legal. ;)

Excellent post. I respect that Robert does exactly what he wants to do. Some of the reworked stuff I like, some I don't. But it is still great that he is out there performing/entertaining. Led Zeppelin fans cry out for more Zep, but look how many people complained about the songs tuned down, etc, and one wonder why he doesn't want to do that anymore. He will never please 100% of the fans 100% of the time, so let him do what he wants and just enjoy it.

Excellent post. I respect that Robert does exactly what he wants to do. Some of the reworked stuff I like, some I don't. But it is still great that he is out there performing/entertaining. Led Zeppelin fans cry out for more Zep, but look how many people complained about the songs tuned down, etc, and one wonder why he doesn't want to do that anymore. He will never please 100% of the fans 100% of the time, so let him do what he wants and just enjoy it.

Well said along with previous post.

I just wanted to add I've really come to appreciate the multiple versions of Zep songs especially Black dog, gallows pole, four sticks. Black dog in particular is a song I would've thought best to leave in the past. I give Plant credit for reinterpreting Black Dog with integrity and to fit his styles. Black dog is a fun, call and response with the audience song. Now, we have a history of multiple versions to listen to. I'm also biased because I'm a fan of roots music and world music that Plant tends to lean towards. I look forward to hearing what and how Plant, Page and Jones will reinterpret other Zep songs in their various projects. I think It keeps the music alive and growing.

Well said along with previous post.

I just wanted to add I've really come to appreciate the multiple versions of Zep songs especially Black dog, gallows pole, four sticks. Black dog in particular is a song I would've thought best to leave in the past. I give Plant credit for reinterpreting Black Dog with integrity and to fit his styles. Black dog is a fun, call and response with the audience song. Now, we have a history of multiple versions to listen to. I'm also biased because I'm a fan of roots music and world music that Plant tends to lean towards. I look forward to hearing what and how Plant, Page and Jones will reinterpret other Zep songs in their various projects. I think It keeps the music alive and growing.

Agreed!

I've always loved how he's reworked the Zep tunes. I have no problem with him doing Zep tunes - they're part of his career. The fact that he reinterprets them makes sense to me. It's hard to put into words why but in a way it shows them respect. He's stated that they won't ever be done as good as the originals but it's a different time, different band and he works them to fit the mood of the show - i.e. the Mighty Rearranger and Dreamland tours had a strong North African flavor, so things like No Quarter and Black Dog were done with that feel.

His doing the songs is not any contradiction - both Page and Jones have done Zep tunes in their shows. All three of them wrote the songs and it's their right to play them or not and do so how they feel.

Archived