I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

8dcb9fb986e1382c8160bbf85145ebf3.jpg

smiley-shocked001.gif

Holy mother of fuck! Well, I just got done watching Plan 9 and that's an hour and 19 minutes of my life I'll never get back. To say that this "movie" was filled with bad acting would be an insult to bad acting or actors everywhere.

Poor Bela Lugosi--I'm not sure when he died during the filming of this, but death must have been a sweet release from the hell he found himself in his final years stuck in Ed Wood movies. Lugosi--much like Lon Jr. in his final movie--has no dialogue and footage of Bela is interspersed with what I can only describe as "tall dude with cape over his face" doubling for Lugosi.

I can't even say this film was comically bad--no, wait a minute, I did get some laughs early on from how horrible the actors were; Tor Johnson in particular as the police Inspector was hysterical--but after awhile, I found myself inoculated to the shittyness of this film and just found myself on many occasions glancing at the little clock at the bottom of the youtube vid wondering when this shit would be over.

I almost want to take back every bad word I've ever said about Joe Besser and his Three Stooges films. Hell--after wasting my time with Plan 9--I can honestly say I don't ever want to waste my time with anymore of Lugosi's or Chaney's later films during the twilight of their careers. As intrigued as I was about a title like Face of the Screaming Werewolf, I think I'll just skip it.

Again, this smiley says it best: smiley-shocked001.gif

I still haven't been able to choose the worst acting job in the film, but I've narrowed it down to Dudley Manlove, (yes, that is his real name, LMAO) or John 'Bunny' Breckinridge... those bumbling patrolmen are all contenders as well.

dudley-manlove.jpgBunny_Breckinridge_(cropped).png

I want to see this...

http://youtu.be/xasvQYdvSD0

Ninety straight minutes of smiles and 'awww's! :)

A very heartwarming story about the complex society of the macaque monkeys who live amidst the beautiful ancient ruins of Polonnaruwa in Sri Lanka. This love story includes heroes/heroines, villains, battles, and plenty of monkey shenanigans.

I think I'll give that a look--I'm sure the library will have a copy; I was always curious about Martin Landau as Lugosi ....

WAIT A COTTON-PICKING MINUTE!!! You mean you haven't ever seen "Ed Wood", PC? Holy cow, I just assumed you already had, given how much you love horror and B-movies. You must rectify this oversight immediately.

It's definitely one of Tim Burton's best films and Martin Landau is astounding as Bela...he totally deserved to win an Oscar. It's also about the love of making films, whether you are an A-list director with unlimited budgets or a scrappy amateur working on a shoestring. Lots of cool Hollywood locations that still exist...like Boardner's bar.

I urge anyone who hasn't seen "Ed Wood" to give it a shot...it's very entertaining.

WAIT A COTTON-PICKING MINUTE!!! You mean you haven't ever seen "Ed Wood", PC? Holy cow, I just assumed you already had, given how much you love horror and B-movies. You must rectify this oversight immediately.

It's definitely one of Tim Burton's best films and Martin Landau is astounding as Bela...he totally deserved to win an Oscar. It's also about the love of making films, whether you are an A-list director with unlimited budgets or a scrappy amateur working on a shoestring. Lots of cool Hollywood locations that still exist...like Boardner's bar.

I urge anyone who hasn't seen "Ed Wood" to give it a shot...it's very entertaining.

Must second this, Paul, I totally enjoyed "Ed Wood". See it soon!

I think I'll give that a look--I'm sure the library will have a copy; I was always curious about Martin Landau as Lugosi ....

He really played Lugosi well.... You get a personal look at the addiction that tormented him during his final years.

Sathington, you deserve a medal for making it through all those movies. Forgive me, but I had hoped to have another list of 50s monster movies for you this weekend but forgot. But here's a definite must for your movie queue: "The Monster That Challenged the World"!

attachicon.gifThe Monster That Challenged the World _1957.jpg

http://youtu.be/YM7b0-HoTlc

haha thanks man. They're pretty fun, kinda like junk food in movie form. :popcorn2:

post-1470-0-62007000-1429686484_thumb.jp

Whew...just getting home from the LA premiere of "Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck". It is stupendous. It opens in theatres April 24...not sure if it'll be in theatres near you. But if it is, make sure you see it...there is so much personal archival footage included, you'll be amazed. I'm sure you've already heard about his cover of the Beatles' "And I Love Her". Only odd thing is lack of a new Dave Grohl interview...Dave apparently couldn't get away from recording in time to be interviewed for the film.

If it's not playing in theatres near you, don't despair, it'll be on HBO on May 4.

I ended up sitting a few rows away from Frances Bean Cobain and Courtney Love, much to my surprise. Frances Bean used to work at the same place as me...boy, she was lazy...and at this time, she was living with her grandma and had a restraining order against Courtney. So it was a jolt seeing Frances and Courtney arrive together.

Brett Morgen, who made the excellent documentaries "The Kid Stays In the Picture" (about Robert Evans) and "Crossfire Hurricane" (Rolling Stones), has done justice to the life and art of Kurt Cobain without descending into malicious gossip or engaging in hagiography. Most importantly, it erases the memory of Nick Bloomfield's exercise in bad taste "Kurt and Courtney" documentary.

I dare say even if you're not a Nirvana fan, It's worth seeing.

Brett Morgen, who made the excellent documentaries "The Kid Stays In the Picture" (about Robert Evans) and "Crossfire Hurricane" (Rolling Stones), has done justice to the life and art of Kurt Cobain without descending into malicious gossip or engaging in hagiography. Most importantly, it erases the memory of Nick Bloomfield's exercise in bad taste "Kurt and Courtney" documentary.

Thank you for sending me to Google, sir.

A new word to me.

Doesn't happen a lot at my age.

If I can clear the lump in my throat, I'd like to say that The Sound of Music was simply spectacular on the big screen. I was not expecting to be moved to tears many times tonight. The chemistry between Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer makes me swoon.

So somewhere in my youth or childhood I must have done something good. :wub:

Imitation Game is great. Haven't seen 'Unbroken' yet.

Finally watched The Imitation Game, what an incredible story. Actually, two incredible stories.

We just watched 'The Railway Man' with Colin Firth as a POW of the Japs and he suffers a lot of the same as Zamperini. It has a surprise ending too.

I'd like to check this one out, thanks redrum.

Monkee Kingdom. It was GREAT

I loved it, CJW! I trust your kids were with you and loved it, too! When we went, we were the only adults without kids, which was ok with me. I wonder if that was because it was advertised as a Disney movie. The previews were definitely targeting a very young audience, but I think it's a movie for all ages to enjoy. I noticed that in our audience, I was probably the most audible with the 'awww's! Although the kids chimed in when the monkeys were playing with the dog! :)

attachicon.gif330px-Montage_of_Heck_poster.jpg

Whew...just getting home from the LA premiere of "Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck". It is stupendous. It opens in theatres April 24...not sure if it'll be in theatres near you. But if it is, make sure you see it...there is so much personal archival footage included, you'll be amazed. I'm sure you've already heard about his cover of the Beatles' "And I Love Her". Only odd thing is lack of a new Dave Grohl interview...Dave apparently couldn't get away from recording in time to be interviewed for the film.

If it's not playing in theatres near you, don't despair, it'll be on HBO on May 4.

I ended up sitting a few rows away from Frances Bean Cobain and Courtney Love, much to my surprise. Frances Bean used to work at the same place as me...boy, she was lazy...and at this time, she was living with her grandma and had a restraining order against Courtney. So it was a jolt seeing Frances and Courtney arrive together.

I dare say even if you're not a Nirvana fan, It's worth seeing.

I have a copy of 'The Kid Stays In The Picture.' Great documentary and Evans was the producer of 'The Godfather' and 'Chinatown.'

Where would Kurt be now if he hadn't shot himself?

Finally watched The Imitation Game, what an incredible story. Actually, two incredible stories.

I'd like to check this one out, thanks redrum.

The Sound Of Music is a timeless classic. Another one we just watched and I'd never seen before was Neil Simon's 'The Out Of Towners' (1969) with Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis. If you want to laugh your head off ( and without a single cuss word), then you have to watch it. We watched it twice. Tomorrow we're going to see 'The Woman In Gold.'

I saw FURIOUS...I had no intention of seeing it but the only other choice at the small cinema was MALL COP 2..

In any case..I loved FURIOUS... I was on the adge of my seat...Kurt Russell was my favourite..he is part of my generation...the rest of the cast was great

Juliet

RIP Paul Walker

"ROAR"! This movie will leave your jaw dropped to the floor. One of the most gonzo movies I have ever seen and one that required balls of steel by everyone involved...including Tippi Hedren and her then-14-year old daughter Melanie Griffith, who was mauled and required stitches. No CGI used in this movie...those are all real lions and tigers, oh my!

post-1470-0-92079800-1430292353_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-06414400-1430292377_thumb.jp

The movie took years to film and was completed in 1981 but didn't get wide distribution and was lost and forgotten for years. Now it's been restored and brought back for a limited release. Check your local listings...it's short on plot but so crazy in that 1970s free-for-all way, you can't take your eyes off the screen. Here's a brief clip...