I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Saw "Amelia" yesterday. Repetitive structure and not that exciting, but still not as bad as the critics made it out to be.

REALLY looking forward to this:

Doctor Parnassus - new trailer

I LOVE films like this. It looks like a moving Dali painting or something. Awesome cast.

And by the way, for anyone in the GTA who wants to see It Might Get Loud, it is still playing at Carlton:

"It Might Get Loud" in Toronto

Edited by Patrycja

Saw "Amelia" yesterday. Repetitive structure and not that exciting, but still not as bad as the critics made it out to be.

I LOVE films like this. It looks like a moving Dali painting or something. Awesome cast.

And by the way, for anyone in the GTA who wants to see It Might Get Loud, it is still playing at Carlton:

A friend of mine saw Amelia and said it wasn't as bad as the critics said either. She did say it was a bit too long and slow moving at times.

I'd like to see Paranormal Activity. Someone told me it's wicked scary :D

A friend of mine saw Amelia and said it wasn't as bad as the critics said either. She did say it was a bit too long and slow moving at times.

I'd like to see Paranormal Activity. Someone told me it's wicked scary :D

When I was a kind I stumbled on "Omen" on tv, right when the elevator fell (this when I lived on the 22nd floor) and that pretty much did it for me as far as scary movies were concerned :lol:

Hope you enjoy it, nine :)

Edited by Patrycja

When I was a kind I stumbled on "Omen" on tv, right when the elevator fell (this when I lived on the 22nd floor) and that pretty much did it for me as far as scary movies were concerned :lol:

Hope you enjoy it, nine :)

:o:lol: I LOVE scary movies :D The Omen is a favorite though the Exorcist is one I need to watch peaking through a blanket ;)

Hi:

I had no idea it was playing in anywhere in Canada..I thought it was only released in the US

:o:lol: I LOVE scary movies :D The Omen is a favorite though the Exorcist is one I need to watch peaking through a blanket ;)

Really?? Wow I never would have guessed that about you, nine! Yeah I don't even like trailers. If you ever want me to clear a room, just start playing one LOL. Aaaah yes, the 'Exorcist' - isn't that the one where the head spins 360? :o And 'help me' pops up on her stomach? :o:o Geeeeeeeeeeeez I can't take it!!! bleeeeeeeh!!! (I was going to sleep well tonight)

Yours truly,

chicken shit :P

Hi:

I had no idea it was playing in anywhere in Canada..I thought it was only released in the US

Hi Juliet, well I didn't go down there so I can't verify that way, but based on the info on Cineplex, it's apparently playing there. I was looking up other movies and on a whim just decided to type IMGL and voila! Had to spread the good word ;)

Really?? Wow I never would have guessed that about you, nine! Yeah I don't even like trailers. If you ever want me to clear a room, just start playing one LOL. Aaaah yes, the 'Exorcist' - isn't that the one where the head spins 360? :o And 'help me' pops up on her stomach? :o:o Geeeeeeeeeeeez I can't take it!!! bleeeeeeeh!!! (I was going to sleep well tonight)

Yours truly,

chicken shit :P

:lol: :lol: Awwww - I'm sorry you won't sleep well tonight :console: I do love to be scared but I'm not a fan of gore movies like Friday the 13th and that sort of thing. Those aren't scary, more gross. Silence of the Lambs is another favorite :D

Cues Twilight Zone music....

I'm definitely going to see It Might Get Loud before it leaves town this week. I've been way off the grid but I recently found out about it from a friend. That is something I'm very much looking forward to. Nice poster shot, Jahfin.

Patrycya:

I was reading Monday's Toronto Star. IMGL is still at The Carlton..

Juliet :coffee:

Hopefully it will Come to London, Ontario for the benefit of U2, JW and Jimmy fans...

Hi Juliet :wave: ,

Thanks for verifying and following up. Will try to catch it this week. It'll be great to see it again :yay: !!!

And yes it would be great if it made its way to London. DVD's are great, but unless you've got a screen on your whole wall, the effect just isn't the same. Fingers crossed :)

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter and I went and saw Pirate Radio today. It had a lot of good music but no Zep as this takes place in 1966. It has a loose storyline I thought but I like Phillip Seymour Hoffman as an actor. My daughter was the youngest in the theatre as the demographic of the viewers were all 50 something. Don't want to give too much away of the end but it was sad that all the records on the boat were lost. (I'm sure they were just props. :unsure: I Hope.)

2012 opened as a runaway No. 1 and it's on its way past $225M worldwide for its first 5 days. That's big for a PG-13 popcorn pic that's neither a previously established brand or franchise or bestselling novel. Yet another in a long line of signature Roland Emmerich films featuring world destruction, this catastrophe film was anything but at the box office and became Sony Pictures' 8th #1 North American film this year. Opening weekend exit surveys showed the audience was 52% male and 48% female with 45% under the age of 25. Despite dismal reviews, the film received an "A" Cinemascore for moviegoers under 18 and a "B+" overall. It's exceeding expectations due to an aggressive marketing campaign that went into overdrive 6 weeks ago that included sneaking a key 2-minute sequence of the film's special effects featured in the film as well as aggressive Internet searches surrounding the Mayan prophesy. But don't forget that the disaster pic's production budget was at least $200M and that Emmerich receives 25% of the gross.

Film financing circles speculate the cost ballooned past $300M, maybe because of Roland's reputation for not controlling costs, but Sony execs vehemently deny this. That said,all the money went to special effects on this 2 hour, 39 minute, nonstop series of deaths, explosions and collapsing buildings. Certainly not to actor salaries. (Seeing small movie standout Jon Cusack as the lead in this bloater, and you wonder why the filmmakers couldn't pay for a "real" action star.) Or a real script. (The more candid reviews advised audiences to "look, not listen".)

Yet this weekend's great numbers for 2012 prove once again the irrelevance of movie critics and bad buzz (only 36% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes) and the effectiveness of early and relentless marketing. Not to mention everyone's seemingly insatiable appetite for world annhilation especially when it targets iconic landmarks. "Really, how many times can you get away with destroying the White House? Nice touch taking out the Vatican, though, even with the Pontiff on the balcony," snarked a rival studio exec to me. (But when Emmerich proposed demolishing a sacred Muslim shrine, his colleagues freaked out about a possible fatwa -- and the idea was dropped.)

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/

Here's what they're saying about this CGI film:

2012 didn’t have as much of a “guilty pleasure” fun quotient as the other Emmerich disaster epics. It was ultimately bogged down by torturous overlength and a perfunctory feeling of been there, done that. Plus, all the great cgi money shots were given away in the trailers. The scenes where it tries to seriously address the existential connotations of the world ending are a total embarrassment.

2012 is a great movie to watch — the special effects are amazing and I thought the script was great as well == especially the speech at the end. It is so amazing that I think I want to go back and watch it again tomorrow, something that I haven’t felt in years. To go from 10,000 BC, which was such an absolute bore to this is amazing in itself. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

We watched the movie in extreme digital with the comfy seats in our theater, it was awesome. kept us on the edge of our seats.

2012 was simply an eyecandy movie The acting was horrible with only woody harrelson giving a true performance. I couldn’t STAND danny clover. The entire theatre was laughing at every damn word he said.

And as an aside: I cannot stand John Cusack. The only time I liked him was when he played the geek in 16 Candles. He’s way past his prime and to put him in the lead role was NOT A GOOD DECISION. What were they thinking? The person who was responsible for casting Cusack as lead should NEVER be hired again. Their judgment is down the toilet.

Cusack was well cast. He is the only thing about that movie that could put my butt in a seat. However I will wait till it ends up in the dollar theaters. This movies is in the same category as G.I.Joe and Transformers, a silly spectacle.

My daughter and I went and saw Pirate Radio today. It had a lot of good music but no Zep as this takes place in 1966. It has a loose storyline I thought but I like Phillip Seymour Hoffman as an actor. My daughter was the youngest in the theatre as the demographic of the viewers were all 50 something. Don't want to give too much away of the end but it was sad that all the records on the boat were lost. (I'm sure they were just props. :unsure: I Hope.)

Oh I know!! The record thing really hurt my feelings...

I went to see it last weekend with some girlfriends. We had a blast & are still talking about it. ("I think I should be called Clever Kevin" is a favorite...)

Then we made fun of the (no offense to anyone) Twilight freaks that had been in line for hours...

But I recomend the movie to anyone on here, since you must like classic rock to a point.

I liked that it was (loosely) fact - pirate radio was a real thing & it's role in rock is really shown in this movie.