I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

^ Glad you got to see it, and liked it, Fan S!

I saw two good movies the last couple of days - "The Hurt Locker" and "District 9". Addiction and certain facets of human nature presented in very sobering ways.

I was just talking to a friend of mine about District 9. Might try to see it this week.

^ Glad you got to see it, and liked it, Fan S!

I saw two good movies the last couple of days - "The Hurt Locker" and "District 9". Addiction and certain facets of human nature presented in very sobering ways.

⬆ Hey Patrycja! :D Thanks, yeah really loved it! Great ensembles, needless to say, with Page, Edge & White.

A good friend of mine so wants to see District 9. I'm sure he will, by end of weekend. :)

BTW: I'm also in the middle of watching Scent of a Woman with our mutual friend. Believe it or not, I've never seen it! :D I'm just before the end. Shhhhh lol.

Edited by Fan_S.

I was just talking to a friend of mine about District 9. Might try to see it this week.

I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, and I still thought this was a really good film. Very gripping and disturbing. It's amazing how people justify grotesque behaviour. It just goes to show, you can pretty much convince anyone of anything. It brings to the surface those attitudes thinly veiled by propriety. But put some pressure on that all hell breaks loose. Let me know what you think if you go see it, nine :)

⬆ Hey Patrycja! :D Thanks, yeah really loved it! Great ensembles, needless to say, with Page, Edge & White.

A good friend of mine so wants to see District 9. I'm sure he will, by end of weekend. :)

BTW: I'm also in the middle of watching Scent of a Woman with our mutual friend. Believe it or not, I've never seen it! :D I'm just before the end. Shhhhh lol.

WOW I can't believe you hadn't seen it yet! HOOOOWAAAAH! grrrrr....:D It's a great vehicle for him. Let me know what you think. And you can have our mutual friend for the weekend but I 'might have to steal him from you on Monday (watching "Sea of Love" mmmmmm!)

Like I said to nine, "District 9" is well worth the time. Can't wait for IMGL to come out on DVD!!!

I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, and I still thought this was a really good film. Very gripping and disturbing. It's amazing how people justify grotesque behaviour. It just goes to show, you can pretty much convince anyone of anything. It brings to the surface those attitudes thinly veiled by propriety. But put some pressure on that all hell breaks loose. Let me know what you think if you go see it, nine :)

WOW I can't believe you hadn't seen it yet! HOOOOWAAAAH! grrrrr....:D It's a great vehicle for him. Let me know what you think. And you can have our mutual friend for the weekend but I 'might have to steal him from you on Monday (watching "Sea of Love" mmmmmm!)

Like I said to nine, "District 9" is well worth the time. Can't wait for IMGL to come out on DVD!!!

HooooWaaaaaH! Hey, Patrycija, very punny! -- "a great vehicle for him" (Ferrari) Hey, re Sea Of Love, I saw that all right, again, HooooooWaaaah!! Okay, you can have our mutual friend for Monday. But I'll have to borrow him back for Tue., "And Justice For All". ("No, YOU'RE out of order!") :D

IMGL is really great in the movie house! Big screen, great sound system, etc. (not to mention very good audience reactions) ;)

Edited by Fan_S.

I took my 8 year old to see G-Force today (the animated movie about the guinea pig spies). Didn't realize it would be 3D. The 3D effects were very, very cool; they also had sturdy, plastic glasses (no more cardboard with red lens/blue lens) which we had to give back afterwards. The downside was that it cost $20 just for tickets because of the 3D :o With snacks; it was $34.00 for the 2 of us. This is why we don't go to the movies more often :unsure:

I went to see The Goods: Live Hard. Sell Hard.

It was alright. It's not on the same level as Anchorman or Step Brothers but it had its moments. There was only 1 true gut buster and some of the jokes either fell flat or were predictable. If you've seen the commercial, those are not the funniest jokes in the movie and it has its moments. Cool story line, but some of the scenes felt a wee bit awkward.

However, Will Ferrell had an EPIC cameo and his scene was by far the funniest thing in the movie.

Edited by zosodude13

I saw GI Joe a couple of days ago. I wasn't impressed at all. I grew up watching GI Joe and Transformers as a kid and pretty much had every toy and comic book they had out. I was skeptical about Transformers, but was pleased how they updated this classic cartoon in both movies. As for GI Joe, I won't be buying it on dvd or watching it again. It had some great moments, but I felt it tried too hard to updated to concept into today's action films, and ended up using waaaaaayyyy to much cgi. I could have accepted to movie if the Paris chase scene was left out.

Zeppy^, it started out as movies people have seen in the theatre, but like most threads, it has morphed to include just movies people have seen in general -- at friends' places, rented, etc.

Well, I saw Tetro yesterday by Francis Ford Coppola.

(Side note: IMGL was one of the previews. It was really cool to see snippets again. No release date was given, but I hope it makes it to the big screen here).

Anyway, "Tetro" was a really beautiful movie. It's not a visual or storytelling style that will appeal to everybody - some reviews found it boring (it's not designed to be a high concept blockbuster) while other high brow viewers thought Coppola was just ripping off previous masters. That's an unfair assessment imo, because influences from good movies are inevitable and such an opinion over-simplifies Coppola's efforts here. I guess I don't know enough about 'true masters' of cinema but I think it's worth seeing it on the big screen. Engaging story in a gorgeous look.

Edited by Patrycja

How was the movie Jahfin? I'm on the fence about seeing it.

As long as you know going in not to expect a recounting of the performances from the concert itself, I think most everyone will enjoy it. One thing that threw me off is how people starting showing up at the main character's doorstep the moment the original concert entered it's early planning stages. It was as though as soon as it became an idea, everyone starting flocking to Bethel when I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case at all, though the movie seems to portray it that way. Otherwise I really enjoyed the film, the angle it takes does a great job of conjuring up the sights, sounds and feel of the times. I also found the psychedelic sequences to be especially well done.

As long as you know going in not to expect a recounting of the performances from the concert itself, I think most everyone will enjoy it. One thing that threw me off is how people starting showing up at the main character's doorstep the moment the original concert entered it's early planning stages. It was as though as soon as it became an idea, everyone starting flocking to Bethel when I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case at all, though the movie seems to portray it that way. Otherwise I really enjoyed the film, the angle it takes does a great job of conjuring up the sights, sounds and feel of the times. I also found the psychedelic sequences to be especially well done.

Thanks Jahfin. I've really been on the fence about it. It looked a bit hokey in the ads but you can't really base it on that.

watched "Donnie Brasco" again. True story, you should see it.

One of my fave gangster movies. I also just watched some of the Sopranos over the weekend and it's the first time I've seen it. Man, am I behind the times. :lol: One episode was where Tony kills the guy that set the horses on fire and him and the other guy cut up the body in the bath tub. Like Joe Pistone said in the book 'Donnie Brasco': Wise Guys are from another planet. :blink:

I also watched 'The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde' (1968) with Jack Palance.

He is just too creepy looking as Hyde and he plays the role to the hilt. :)

40169687.jpg

One of my fave gangster movies. I also just watched some of the Sopranos over the weekend and it's the first time I've seen it. Man, am I behind the times.

Funny, I've never seen the Sopranos either. I love the Godfather, the second is the best, but I don't get HBO, so...

I think I'll re-watch Serpico this weekend. Love Pacino!!!

One of my fave gangster movies. I also just watched some of the Sopranos over the weekend and it's the first time I've seen it. Man, am I behind the times.

Funny, I've never seen the Sopranos either. I love the Godfather, the second is the best, but I don't get HBO, so...

I think I'll re-watch Serpico this weekend. Love Pacino!!!

↑ Who doesn't. :lol::D