I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

I saw Star Trek on Monday. It was alright. I didn't have a clue about it beforehand (still don't), so really wasn't holding much hope for it. I was surprised, however. If only because I didn't detest it like I so adamantly thought I would. I wouldn't see it again, though. Once was enough.

I saw Star Trek on Monday. It was alright. I didn't have a clue about it beforehand (still don't), so really wasn't holding much hope for it. I was surprised, however. If only because I didn't detest it like I so adamantly thought I would. I wouldn't see it again, though. Once was enough.

I'm sort of on the fence about seeing it.

You never can tell but I get the impression they're done with those for a while. If anything, we'll see a continuation of the current Star Trek crew next.

You know.... this new ST movie heralds a whole "New" Franchise, according to Paramount vice chariman Rob Moore as revealed in Entertainment Weekly:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20233502_1,00.html

Since the box office peak of the original film series in 1986 (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home), the Trek brand has devolved into a near-irrelevant cultural joke, likely to inspire giggles and unprintable curses from even its most ardent supporters. After a succession of contrived TV spin-offs (the last, UPN's Star Trek: Enterprise, mustered only a feeble 2 million viewers in its final season) and mediocre features based on the best of the bunch (Star Trek: The Next Generation), even people who'd built their entire careers around Trek could see the writing on the wall. ''Star Trek,'' says Leonard Nimoy, ''had run its course.''

''Every studio in town is searching for these kinds of franchises, so it was important for us to reboot,'' says Brad Weston, Paramount's president of production. ''But we needed a clean, fresh take on this thing.''

Creatively, he (J.J. Abrams) was engaged by the possibility of a Star Trek movie ''that grabbed me the way Star Wars did.'' That meant a bigger budget and better special effects than any previous Trek film, plus freedom to reinvent the mythos as needed. ''We have worldwide aspirations and we need to broaden [Trek's] appeal,'' says Weston.

"Katyn" tells the story of Polish people getting killed by Russian soldiers in Katyn forest during WWII. It was a massacre that was denied for a long time. Sometimes doing so balms passions, but more often it only inflames them. Not exactly light fare, so I didn't end up watching it yesterday because I had a nice relaxing dinner with friends and by the time I came home, couldn't stomach something so heavy.

Here are a couple of links with more info:

IMDB: Katyn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_massacre

It is known that Russia intentionally allowed the Germans to wreak havoc as they entered Russia, as Russia wasn't endeared to some of the ethinic groups that were in the path of the advancing Germans. In other words.... the Russians let the Germans do some genocide work for them....

I see this thread is called going to the movies. Yet people are posting movies that havent been in theatres in decades. Whats up with that? Isnt there another thread for favorit movies?

The last movie I saw at the cinema was..............wait for it................The Great Escape. Saw it in March for £2.60. :D

Personally, I enjoy watching great older movies I have never seen on the big screen before. In the main, they are better than the pap served up today.

It is known that Russia intentionally allowed the Germans to wreak havoc as they entered Russia, as Russia wasn't endeared to some of the ethinic groups that were in the path of the advancing Germans. In other words.... the Russians let the Germans do some genocide work for them....

I saw an interview with Polanski and he put it bluntly: the Russian army sat on its collective ass and let atrocities happen. That's not to say it wasn't involved, of course; Stalin was responsible for more deaths than Hitler after all. It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to convince people to justify murder.

Anyway, watching "State and Main" by David Mamet. Very funny.

Wow! Thanks, Patrycja for the warm sentiments and links! I especially enjoyed reading about how Twain and Lincoln were influenced by Shakespeare. Also loved the pics of Ethan Hawke as Hamlet and Denzel as the prince from Much Ado About Nothing. A good friend of my family played Bernardo in the Ethan Hawke Hamlet film.

Re: the NY Harbor version of the Globe, ha ha sounds terrific! I've heard a little about it, yes. Will let ya know as I procure more info. Also, many thank you's for the synopsis of Katyn. Sounds like an intense, harrowing movie.

Sure, no problem, Fan S :). It seems they're still at the fundraising phase of the Globe development, but they've got a solid foundation of support. Love the architect renderings. Isn't it odd that the original Globe dimensions are so similar? Anyway, I might see "Katyn" tonight; will let you know how it is.

I saw an interview with Polanski and he put it bluntly: the Russian army sat on its collective ass and let atrocities happen. That's not to say it wasn't involved, of course; Stalin was responsible for more deaths than Hitler after all. It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to convince people to justify murder.

Anyway, watching "State and Main" by David Mamet. Very funny.

Have you been watching the PBS series WWII Behind Closed Doors ? It's progressed to Stalin's death but has been a very interesting insight to the Russian atrocities, the deals that were made amoung the Allies etc. It dealt with Katyn and how it was covered up to look like it was the Nazi's who commited the murder's. The fact that Roosevelt was aware of it but did not want to make it public. Definately worth a watch

Have you been watching the PBS series WWII Behind Closed Doors ? It's progressed to Stalin's death but has been a very interesting insight to the Russian atrocities, the deals that were made amoung the Allies etc. It dealt with Katyn and how it was covered up to look like it was the Nazi's who commited the murder's. The fact that Roosevelt was aware of it but did not want to make it public. Definately worth a watch

Hey Ally, no I haven't seen it, but thanks for the heads up. I think the Polanski comment was a general one, not specific to "Katyn" (I wish I could recall the context aarrgh). There's enough blame to go around, but blaming the Nazis was definitely a great scapegoat. Pretty credible on the surface, given their track record, right? It is disgusting that Allies turned a blind eye to appease an ally. When news of the Russian cover up was finally revealed in '89, the already strained relationship between Poland and Russia was tested yet again. Will look for the series :)

Russia and Germany had conspired from the start.

Sure, no problem, Fan S :). It seems they're still at the fundraising phase of the Globe development, but they've got a solid foundation of support. Love the architect renderings. Isn't it odd that the original Globe dimensions are so similar? Anyway, I might see "Katyn" tonight; will let you know how it is.

Hey hi Patrycja! K, looking forward to your review of Katyn! Thank you! :)

The last movie I saw at the cinema was..............wait for it................The Great Escape. Saw it in March for £2.60. :D

I'm just about ready to watch 'The Sand Pebbles' again. B)

Personally, I enjoy watching great older movies I have never seen on the big screen before. In the main, they are better than the pap served up today.

My sentiments exactly. :)

I own the movie, bought it for $5 at guess where. Walmart.

Yeah I own the movie too. :D

But I had never seen it on the big screen at the cinema before.

There are lots of old favourites of mine I would love to see on the big screen but haven't yet (King Kong '33, Zulu plus many more).

Even though I have seen Jaws on the big screen many times I would still pay to go watch it again at the cinema. :)

I see this thread is called going to the movies. Yet people are posting movies that havent been in theatres in decades. Whats up with that? Isnt there another thread for favorite movies?

It'sa all relative...... Many movies out today are retreads of movies and television shows that have been out for decades.

Midnight movies often show movies from the 60's and the 70's.

So, going to the the movies can and does often mean a trip down memory lane.

Get Over It Yukon ! ! :D

There are lots of old favourites of mine I would love to see on the big screen but haven't yet (King Kong '33, Zulu plus many more).

Even though I have seen Jaws on the big screen many times I would still pay to go watch it again at the cinema. :)

Yeah, me too, Mangani! :yesnod: I love movies on the big screen--the way they're designed to be. Yes. One genre comes to mind: Fred & Ginger movies--particularly, Swingtime, which I did see on the big screen. The audience's reaction is a big part of it. In this movie, Ginger Rogers' exquisite tap dancing reminds me of the great dancing displayed on good ol' Soul Train.

:beer:

Edited by Fan_S.

So, going to the the movies can and does often mean a trip down memory lane.

Morning, The Rover! Yes, I heartily agree...for me, going to see black & white movies in the theatre, brings back fond blasts from the past. I'd go solo to see old Bette Davis, Fred & Ginger, Kate Hepburn flicks at a theatre in the Upper West Side, NYC (kinda near the Beacon) (what was it....74 or 79th & Broadway, dunno). This was back in the early 80s. I was between b/f's so this very agreeable diversion provided some solace. :coffee:

Edited by Fan_S.

Yeah I own the movie too. :D

But I had never seen it on the big screen at the cinema before.

Zulu was an awesome movie on the big screen. Bullet with Steve McQueen was another must see B)

Why would I go to a threate and pay even two dollars to see The Great Escape when not only is it on television often but I can go buy it for $5

Coz at the theatre the screen is massive and the sound is massive. You can't get that at home.

As Fan. S just said:

"" I love movies on the big screen--the way they're designed to be.""

And on t.v? You mean you like the zillions of commercials which ruin movies?? :blink:

have to pay $5 for a drink and $5 for a small popcorn.

I didn't 'have' to pay $5 for a drink and $5 for a small popcorn last time I went to the cinema.

What kind of facists do you have at your local cinema who force you to buy such things? Remind me to stay away from your local cinema.:unsure:

I take my OWN nibbles and drinks. If it's a long film I'll take a bottle of wine.

Edited by Mangani

Oh, hi guys, I usually save money when I go to the cinema by bringing my own nibbles, (like Mangani) and beer. Also, it's the audience's reaction that gives it the extra something re: experience. Especially in thrillers.

Here's an example (though vicarious): One night, long ago, the husband went solo to see Exorcist III. The audience that night was particularly rowdy. Then, on the screen, all of a sudden an angel appeared. The camera traveled from his feet on upward. And, lo and behold, it was Patrick Ewing of the Knicks!! (lol) The audience (silly teenage boys) went wild!! They said, "Hey, it's Patrick! That's my man Patrick!!!" Most cheered some said Boooo! and threw popcorn at the screen. Nobody got hurt, tho'. (Though, I feel sorry for the cleaning crew of the theatre)

On another topic, I'm also an Ali MacGraw fan. Loved her in Goodbye, Columbus and Love Story. I get the feeling that the latter is not your cup of tea, Yukon. :lol: Sorry.

Bullitt was good with the famous high speed car chase.

They filmed part of that a couple blocks from where I used to live and the flaming crash was a road I used to always ride on my motorcycle. B)

But to me, The Getaway was far better. I think I am still in love with Ally McGraw. She was so hot in that movie.

I've got that on video too. I think they gave Slim Pickens a bit too much for that old truck. :D

Bullet with Steve McQueen was another must see B)

I agree..... That movie was totally satisfying to me.

I have not wanted to see another "car shase" movie since.

The Fast & Furious movies have not gotten me out to see them yet.

I really don;t go and see many movies. The new ones have so many disapointments for all they are cracked up to be. The word "greatness" has been greatly bastardized, especially when it comes to modern movie going. The bar was lowered a long time ago it seems.

There is, I suppose good 'crap' out there.... but.... Greatness.... few and far between.

That's what I like to spend my money on .... Greatness...... theo other is not necessary!

Hi, Patrycja! Not that this is earth-shattering news, :lol: but just to self-correct something. I mentioned that I saw Al Pacino in Mamet's American Buffalo live in NYC at the Roundabout in the early 80s. It was actually in 1982, @ the Circle In The Square Theatre not the Roundabout. :o Sorry.

Edited by Fan_S.