I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

We're now getting the 'THIS' channel on digital tv and last night they showed 'Killer's Kiss' (1955) by Stanley Kubrick. I thinks it's one of the greatest film noir pics I've ever seen. The night and location photography (New York City) is amazing and the scene in the manikin factory was great.

It's available on dvd too.

5 stars on the Redrum Meter.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I saw "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" yesterday. It was ok. Pretty entertaining and funny but not that spectacular. It's tough when you have to explain so much background info because it seems you can just touch on a lot of them. Lots of characters introduced. Enjoyed it overall.

And my ooooooh my what eye candy - Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds look like they were sculpted by Michelangelo.

Lynn Collins is a very good actress, too. Nice to see her getting more prominent roles. She was excellent as Portia in Michael Radford's "The Merchant of Venice".

I love this time of year for movies!

We watched 'Twilight' last night. It was alright.

Also saw 'Dillinger' (1973) with Warren Oates, Harry Dean Stanton, Cloris Leachman and Richard Dreyfuss as Baby Face Nelson.

Lots of lead flying around with those .45's, Tommy Guns and BAR's. :D

Oh yeah, Michelle Phillips played Dillinger's moll and Ben Johnson was Melvin Purvis.

Melvin had no tolerance for these rats. :lol:

Edited by redrum

Went to a nearby movie house and saw a great film entitled Sugar, about a young man from the Dominican Republic who aspires to play in the minor leagues (single A ball)--for Kansas City. (He played for the Swings, a farm team in Iowa). It had great references to Roberto Clemente. (Has subtitles)

ashes.jpg

Part travelogue, part concert film and behind the scenes documentary. I always find films like that much more enjoyable to watch than straight up concert footage. I think that's what made Pearl Jam's Immagine In Cornice work so well for me. And while Kicking Television is a fine documentation of the Wilco concert experience, Ashes of American Flags captures them at what may very well be their peak as a live band.

I am going to see the new Star Trek movie. That's supposed to be really good.

My youngest son saw it last night.

He has to be the first to see any movie that he is interested in, LOL.

He gave it a thumbs up, a good review, although he is not a Trekie.

I saw X-Men, Wolverine last weekend with my sons. Not my cup of tea, but it was OK. I enjoyed being with the boys, who were home from college for the weekend.

I am waiting for the next Harry Potter movie.

My youngest son saw it last night.

He has to be the first to see any movie that he is interested in, LOL.

He gave it a thumbs up, a good review, although he is not a Trekie.

I saw X-Men, Wolverine last weekend with my sons. Not my cup of tea, but it was OK. I enjoyed being with the boys, who were home from college for the weekend.

I am waiting for the next Harry Potter movie.

Me too! I don't want to get my hopes up too high because it's almost impossible for anything to live up to an ideal, but I've really enjoyed the series so far. There hasn't been one movie that has stood out in a bad way from the others. Top notch quality throughout. And this movie will be heart-rending if you know what I mean...

We're now getting the 'THIS' channel on digital tv and last night they showed 'Killer's Kiss' (1955) by Stanley Kubrick. I thinks it's one of the greatest film noir pics I've ever seen. The night and location photography (New York City) is amazing and the scene in the manikin factory was great.

It's available on dvd too.

5 stars on the Redrum Meter.

:D

I just saw that on Netflix. Good movie for what it was.

Well I am it, I watched Alfred Hitchcock's "Frenzy" last night. Strange to see so much nudity in a AH film. Pretty good though. Some fantastic camera shots (there's a nice long one that follows a couple up and down some stairs) plus it's fun to see London in 1972. Can't help to think of a certain band was roaming the world then. ;)

Edited by Wolfman

I just saw that on Netflix. Good movie for what it was.

Well I am it, I watched Alfred Hitchcock's "Frenzy" last night. Strange to see so much nudity in a AH film. Pretty good though. Some fantastic camera shots (there's a nice long one that follows a couple up and down some stairs) plus it's fun to see London in 1972. Can't help to think of a certain band was roaming the world then. ;)

The reason I loved the movie so much was I do black and white photography and Kubrick did a masterful job in the movie. That negative dream sequence just sticks out in my mind. No modern films do that to me.

We have 'Frenzy' here at our library. Sort of the Brit version of 'Psycho' ey? ^_^

Him saying 'Lovely' as he did the deed was as creepy as it gets. :(

I saw "Taken" with Liam Neeson on DVD last night. After seeing this piece of crap, I felt like I was taken. It was like they took a 80's Arnold Schwarzenegger flick and modernized it. Dumb film. :slapface:

I saw "Taken" with Liam Neeson on DVD last night. After seeing this piece of crap, I felt like I was taken. It was like they took a 80's Arnold Schwarzenegger flick and modernized it. Dumb film. :slapface:

That's how I feel about most new films from Hollywood these days. <_<

Last night I watched 'High Plains Drifter' with Clint's love interest foxy mama Marianna Hill.

mh001.jpg

:rolleyes:

What, you mean letting your seventeen-year-old follow U2 on their tour throughout Europe isn't credible? Or her getting a pony for her birthday is trite? Or her being bought by a rich Arab isn't the worst of stereotypes? LOL Yeah so many baad movie cliches throughout. I really like Liam Neeson but this isn't exactly my favourite movie of his.

I have a chance to get the original Scarface and am wondering whether anyone's seen it? Worth the purchase?

What, you mean letting your seventeen-year-old follow U2 on their tour throughout Europe isn't credible? Or her getting a pony for her birthday is trite? Or her being bought by a rich Arab isn't the worst of stereotypes? LOL Yeah so many baad movie cliches throughout. I really like Liam Neeson but this isn't exactly my favourite movie of his.

I have a chance to get the original Scarface and am wondering whether anyone's seen it? Worth the purchase?

I haven't seen the original version of Scarface (1932), but I really like the re-make which Al Pacino starred in. He's one of my favorite actors. :D Try Netflix, they may have the original on CD Rom before purchasing the DVD.