I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

I see this thread is called going to the movies. Yet people are posting movies that havent been in theatres in decades. Whats up with that? Isnt there another thread for favorit movies?

Read back over the thread - you will see that someone asked for suggestions for good movie soundtracks. The "old" film titles you are refering to are actually references to soundtracks. Don't think it is TOO hard to allow them to be here, do you?

I saw a production of Macbeth in Stratford, England and although it polarized audiences (they either loved it or hated it), the staging was incredible. The stage was raised slightly, so that when Macbeth and his wife were lit, her shadow was taller than his when she was convincing him to do the deed. After he does it, their shadows were even, and later when killing became easy for him, his shadow was larger. For all its flaws, that was awesome and unforgettable.

Hey, Patrycja! Morning! Wow, your apt description really makes me appreciate theatre lighting designers and technicians. Sheer magic. Sounds great--your experience. Thank you for that.

Also, thanks for your latest post yestereve, re: A Christmas Carol.

BTW, Forgive my ignorance, but what is Katyn about? (just give a little premise). Again, thanks for your characteristic knowledgeable replies! :)

Porky and Easy Rider are ancient fucking history. Not putting them down, just, hell, who is going to go to a theatre to pay to see something you can rent for a dollar at the corner?

Jeez how can I explain this in a way that you'll understand? The suggestions were for SOUNDTRACKS - not for someone to go to the movies or even rent the movie - but to listen to the soundtrack. Get it?

*sorry - that was a bit stroppy wasn't it? Must be the time of the (football) season. Nothing personal. ;) *

Edited by Knebby

D'you guys know any good movies with a cool soundtrack (something like...Almost Famous, maybe?!) ?

Thanks!

Only four come to mind, right now:

Neil Young: Heart of Gold

I Am Sam (great Beatle covers)

Pretty in Pink (some very nice Pyschodelic Furs songs)

Apocalypse Now

I saw Angels and Demons today and it was true to the book, fast paced, strong cast, plenty of action, good locations, cinematography and special effects.

Bad character development?

To each their own, you can't please everyone.

Skaarsgard and McGregor were good casting.

As with any "who dunnit", there are always red herrings and probable suspects to confuse the audience.

I thought it was good but not great and maybe there will be an extended DVD version released down the track.

I'm looking forward to Browns next book, The Lost Symbol in September which no doubt will make it to the big screen.

My advice is read the book before you see the movie adaptation of it, period.

BTW, there is already a movie featuring Picard and crew, Star Trek: Generations.

I just left the theatre less than an hour ago. Tom Hanks was quite good in this one.

Agreed with your overall assessment, Reggie29, even the part about red herrings. The problem for me was that there actually were no clues pointing to McGregor's character, and it was heavily weighted towards Skaarsgard and Mueller-Stahl (creepy Cardinal Strauss). Ewan's character was more the hub, the constant. No clues whatsoever that he had such deep-rooted feelings about science and the church. You have to give people morsels to follow, otherwise, sorry, it's just cheating an audience because it was such an obvious flip -- ooooh, the guys we were pointing to all along are really good, and the really good guy throughout is actually the bad guy.

But that's an impression from someone who hasn't read the book. Perhaps they expect that most of the audience has and filled in the details? I don't know...but it left a bad taste in my mouth. It wasn't the twist, it was how they set it up and arrived at it.

I enjoyed the scenery and the hidden passages filmed on location.

Went to see Angles and Demons yesterday. The movie was okay but I better start reading the book - totally different as I am told from the movie.

I did not care for the gross parts, but admired the statuary of Saint Theresa on fire, the bas reliefs, the inside glimpse of the Vatican library of old published works and so forth.

It was interesting that the plot used the Illuminati as a theme.

In addition to the shadowy and secret organization proposed by conspiracy theories, several modern fraternal groups claim to be the "heirs" of the Bavarian Illuminati and have openly used the name "Illuminati" in founding their own rites. Some, such as the Orden Illuminati founded by Gabriel López de Rojas, and multiple groups that call themseves "The Illuminati Order"use the name directly in the name of their organization, while others, such as the Ordo Templi Orientis (OTO) (founded by Theodor Reuss, and later restructured by Aleister Crowley), and the Grand Lodge Rockefeller founded by David Goldman, use the name as a grade of initiation within their organization.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati

Edited by eternal light

I did not care for the gross parts, but admired the statuary of Saint Theresa on fire, the bas reliefs, the inside glimpse of the Vatican library of old published works and so forth.

It was interesting that the plot used the Illuminati as a theme.

I love Madhuri Dixit dancing in the movies.

More awards to this films!!!

More films to this woman!!!

Edited by el mago

I know!!!

In the past days I see all madhuri's dances on you tube.

what a woman!!!

many thanks eternal light!!!

(mi deseo mas salvaje es besar sus pies) =)

You're welcome, el mago!

from the movie Khal Nayak is another favorite of her dances. Edited by eternal light

I enjoyed the scenery and the hidden passages filmed on location.

Me too. The Vatican archives really piqued my interest. I think the area was being restored for a long while. It's still not open to the general public, I don't think, so any glimpses (real or imagined) are great. And I agree with you about the St. Teresa statue, too. Lots of good bits about the artists :thumbsup:

You're welcome, el mago!

from the movie Khal Nayak is another favorite of her dances.

another dance movie :badi mushkil

talking about the vatican I got certain information about the catolic church, and I want to make a movie.

madhuri dixit dances and meiko kaji sings. =)

what do you think?

Edited by el mago

Hey, Patrycja! Morning! Wow, your apt description really makes me appreciate theatre lighting designers and technicians. Sheer magic. Sounds great--your experience. Thank you for that.

Also, thanks for your latest post yestereve, re: A Christmas Carol.

BTW, Forgive my ignorance, but what is Katyn about? (just give a little premise). Again, thanks for your characteristic knowledgeable replies! :)

Evening, Fan S! Yeah it takes very little for me to go on and oooooon about theatre lol, but thanks for your kind words and enthusiasm.

"Katyn" tells the story of Polish people getting killed by Russian soldiers in Katyn forest during WWII. It was a massacre that was denied for a long time. Sometimes doing so balms passions, but more often it only inflames them. Not exactly light fare, so I didn't end up watching it yesterday because I had a nice relaxing dinner with friends and by the time I came home, couldn't stomach something so heavy.

Here are a couple of links with more info:

IMDB: Katyn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_massacre

It was directed by Andrzej Wajda, famous Polish director, but not really that well known outside of industry or movie buff circles, as with many foreign directors/artists who work mainly in niches outside of Hollywood.

Here's his site:

http://www.wajda.pl/en/Default.html

I did see "Star Trek" today and agree with those here who really liked it. I thought it was terrific. There were many kids in the theatre today, and when Spock kissed a lady goodbye a young boy let out a loud, "Eeeeewwww!" ahahaha!

Say, have you heard about that fort they want to convert into a theatre over in New York Harbor? Check it out:

http://www.newglobe.org/

It's nice to hear about your experiences. It's part of what makes coming on this board fun and interesting - people from different places with different tales :).

Evening, Fan S! Yeah it takes very little for me to go on and oooooon about theatre lol, but thanks for your kind words and enthusiasm.

It's nice to hear about your experiences. It's part of what makes coming on this board fun and interesting - people from different places with different tales :).

Wow! Thanks, Patrycja for the warm sentiments and links! I especially enjoyed reading about how Twain and Lincoln were influenced by Shakespeare. Also loved the pics of Ethan Hawke as Hamlet and Denzel as the prince from Much Ado About Nothing. A good friend of my family played Bernardo in the Ethan Hawke Hamlet film.

Re: the NY Harbor version of the Globe, ha ha sounds terrific! I've heard a little about it, yes. Will let ya know as I procure more info. Also, many thank you's for the synopsis of Katyn. Sounds like an intense, harrowing movie.

I see this thread is called going to the movies. Yet people are posting movies that havent been in theatres in decades. Whats up with that? Isnt there another thread for favorit movies?

There's still a lot of theaters that show the old films.

B)

another dance movie :badi mushkil

talking about the vatican I got certain information about the catolic church, and I want to make a movie.

madhuri dixit dances and meiko kaji sings. =)

what do you think?

Nicely done choreography on Badi Mushkil.

I do not see the relationship between the Catholic Church and Madhuri Dixit or Meiko Kaji.

I guess it depends on what the movie is about.

Nicely done choreography on Badi Mushkil.

I do not see the relationship between the Catholic Church and Madhuri Dixit or Meiko Kaji.

I guess it depends on what the movie is about.

neither do I, that is really alarming!!!