I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Hi, Patrycja! Not that this is earth-shattering news, :lol: but just to self-correct something. I mentioned that I saw Al Pacino in Mamet's American Buffalo live in NYC at the Roundabout in the early 80s. It was actually in 1982, @ the Circle In The Square Theatre not the Roundabout. :o Sorry.

Hi Fan S! :wave: it's quite all right. After all this time I can see how you can get the names mixed up - 'round' / 'circle' :P . Well, Roundabout is staging "Waiting for Godot" right now. Except for some of its absurdist language which dates it a bit, it's still a very current play. Not bad for a first published play ;) .

"Nothing happens, nobody comes, nobody goes, it's awful!" :lol: cheer up Estragon!

Paul Blart - Mall Cop.

What a waste of 90 minutes. Kevin James' simply is not funny on the big screen and should stick to television sitcoms. 0 stars.

could not have been worse than The Ghosts of Girlfriends Past with Mathew McConaghey. I was basically forced to go by friends (not the type of movie i would normally go to see). it was so horrific. I kept thinking, poor jennifer garner, poor thing was associated with this crappy film. i swear, at one point, they had a scene where it was raining condoms. it was atrocious. is there a negative star rating?

Hi Fan S! :wave: it's quite all right. After all this time I can see how you can get the names mixed up - 'round' / 'circle' :P . Well, Roundabout is staging "Waiting for Godot" right now. Except for some of its absurdist language which dates it a bit, it's still a very current play. Not bad for a first published play ;) .

"Nothing happens, nobody comes, nobody goes, it's awful!" :lol: cheer up Estragon!

Hey Patrycja!! Thanks for the quick reply and understanding re: shape association, :lol: Anyways, Nathan Lane's in Waiting for Godot. He's a real hoot. Dja see him a long time ago in the movie The Birdcage? Funny stuff. :)

could not have been worse than The Ghosts of Girlfriends Past with Mathew McConaghey. I was basically forced to go by friends (not the type of movie i would normally go to see). it was so horrific. I kept thinking, poor jennifer garner, poor thing was associated with this crappy film. i swear, at one point, they had a scene where it was raining condoms. it was atrocious. is there a negative star rating?

Hi Misty! How's the seaside in the G'island? :) Anyway, hey, re: that movie you just saw, The Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, too bad it's so horrible. Poor Dickens must be spinning in his grave. :rolleyes:

Hi Misty! How's the seaside in the G'island? :) Anyway, hey, re: that movie you just saw, The Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, too bad it's so horrible. Poor Dickens must be spinning in his grave. :rolleyes:

hi Fan!!! yeah, dickens is so horrfied, he actually died again.

seaside is lovely this time of year, you should take a drive (or the MTA, its going your way).

:P

hi Fan!!! yeah, dickens is so horrfied, he actually died again.

seaside is lovely this time of year, you should take a drive (or the MTA, its going your way).

:P

Ha ha ha! Good one, Misty! Yeah, this summer, the husband wants to stay in Montauk for a few. Loves the open ocean. My daughter & I prefer the bay. heh heh chickens. We also like good ol' Seaside Heights in Jerz. We stayed "Down in Seaside" last summer. Very beautiful. Hey, you should come to Brooklyn some time! :)

Whoops, don't wanna derail the thread (no pun intended). To go to Montauk we might opt for the Long Island Railroad. But, then again, I might opt out of taking subways too far. Might be too scared: I plan to see The Taking of Pelham 1 2 & 3, speaking of movies. Saw the original--FANTASTIC! It had Robert Shaw in it. Sooo menacing. :o New one looks great too, with Travolta as the villain this time.

Edited by Fan_S.

Ha ha ha! Good one, Misty! Yeah, this summer, the husband wants to stay in Montauk for a few. Loves the open ocean. My daughter & I prefer the bay. heh heh chickens. We also like good ol' Seaside Heights in Jerz. We stayed "Down in Seaside" last summer. Very beautiful. Hey, you should come to Brooklyn some time! :)

I went there years ago. Spring Lake is really pretty too.

Steve McQueen Steve McQueen

When I was a little boy I wanted to grow up to be

The coolest doggone motherscratcher on the silver screen

I’d drive real fast everywhere no one would ever catch me

and I’d kick your ass if you pissed me off so be careful what you ask me

and I’d never have an empty bottle or an empty bed

and as cool as Paul Newman is I bet Steve could whup his head

Steve McQueen............................

Bullet was my favorite movie that I’d ever seen

I totaled my go-cart trying to imitate that chase scene

That Duster had six hubcaps, know what I mean

and I love the way they all flew off when it landed in that ravine

I really loved The Getaway back when I was eight

that pussy Alec Baldwin sucked in the remake

and speaking of pussy, I guess Steve got it all

He fucked Faye Dunaway and he fucked Ali McGraw

Steve McQueen, Steve McQueen

The coolest Goddamn mothefucker on the silver screen

(Yee-haw)

(Suddenly the scene turns slow and somber, as a campfire harp plays in the background)

I went to see The Hunter on my first date

The Hunter was the last movie Steve McQueen lived to make

They took my drivers license when I was just sixteen

the year mesothelioma killed Steve McQueen

lyrics by Patterson Hood

music by Drive-by Truckers (Cooley, Hood, Howell, Lane, Neff, Stacy)

©1998 Soul Dump Music

dedicated to my grandfather W. M. Patterson

(Mesothelioma is a rare cancer of the lining of the lung caused by exposure to asbestos. It’s mortality rate is known to be extremely high.)

Edited by Jahfin

Yeah, this summer, the husband wants to stay in Montauk for a few. Loves the open ocean.

""One time I caught a 16 footer off Montauk. Had to stick 2 barrels in him, 2 to wear him down and bring him up!"

Quint in Jaws.

:D

Whoops, don't wanna derail the thread (no pun intended). To go to Montauk we might opt for the Long Island Railroad. But, then again, I might opt out of taking subways too far. Might be too scared: I plan to see The Taking of Pelham 1 2 & 3, speaking of movies. Saw the original--FANTASTIC! It had Robert Shaw in it. Sooo menacing. :o New one looks great too, with Travolta as the villain this time.

The Taking of Pelham 123 is a great underrated movie. I don't think it needs a remake though. Why does Hollywood keep 'remaking' past films which were good enough anyway????

LOVE Montauk! If you need a good day trip, park at field 5/6 at Robert Moses and walk the boardwalk to the historical light house. The boardwalk takes you through the dunes, great for observing the deer and other wildlife. The beach far in front of the lighthouse i think is nude (yikes), never saw it myself, but rumor has it.

back to topic, i must see "Pelham" as I was orginally from Pelham Bay!

LOVE Montauk! If you need a good day trip, park at field 5/6 at Robert Moses and walk the boardwalk to the historical light house. The boardwalk takes you through the dunes, great for observing the deer and other wildlife. The beach far in front of the lighthouse i think is nude (yikes), never saw it myself, but rumor has it.

back to topic, i must see "Pelham" as I was orginally from Pelham Bay!

K, will do...thanks, Misty! Love dunes, boardwalks & lighthouses!

Hey, if ya ever come to my neck of the woods, come see Coney Island before it's gone! It's an old-fashioned amusement park with fun, fun rides! The Cyclone rollercoaster is still operative. But, I'm sure you know all about good ol' Coney Island. Anyways, I've lived here in Brooklyn all my life, so I'm not the most objective person when it comes to Coney (where "we'll eat baloney") sorry, Gene Kelly fans. :P

Edited by Fan_S.

I agree..... That movie was totally satisfying to me.

I have not wanted to see another "car shase" movie since.

The Fast & Furious movies have not gotten me out to see them yet.

You've gotta watch the car chase in 'The Seven Ups' and the original 'Gone In 60 Seconds'

'The French Connection' chase is another one.

B)

The coolest doggone motherscratcher on the silver screen

I’d drive real fast everywhere no one would ever catch me

and I’d kick your ass if you pissed me off so be careful what you ask me

and I’d never have an empty bottle or an empty bed

and as cool as Paul Newman is I bet Steve could whup his head

Bullet was my favorite movie that I’d ever seen

I totaled my go-cart trying to imitate that chase scene

That Duster had six hubcaps, know what I mean

and I love the way they all flew off when it landed in that ravine

I really loved The Getaway back when I was eight

that pussy Alec Baldwin sucked in the remake

and speaking of pussy, I guess Steve got it all

He fucked Faye Dunaway and he fucked Ali McGraw

Steve McQueen, Steve McQueen

The coolest Goddamn mothefucker on the silver screen

(Yee-haw)

(Suddenly the scene turns slow and somber, as a campfire harp plays in the background)

I went to see The Hunter on my first date

The Hunter was the last movie Steve McQueen lived to make

They took my drivers license when I was just sixteen

the year mesothelioma killed Steve McQueen

lyrics by Patterson Hood

music by Drive-by Truckers (Cooley, Hood, Howell, Lane, Neff, Stacy)

©1998 Soul Dump Music

dedicated to my grandfather W. M. Patterson

(Mesothelioma is a rare cancer of the lining of the lung caused by exposure to asbestos. It’s mortality rate is known to be extremely high.)

That's some cool lyrics.

I remember when the Vegas vultures auctioned off all of McQueen's bikes and memorabilia.

Assholes.

<_<

Saw a good one last night on the 'THIS' channel: Dominick And Eugene (1988) with Ray Liotta.

B)

I saw Adventureland. It was okay. It stars Kristen Stewart. She was good in it. Better than she was in that Twighlight crap. The lead guy in the movie is annoying though. He seemed to be imitating Michael Cera. Playing the awkward nerdy teen who girls are interested in anyways. Which is not realistic. It's set in the 80's at a amusement park. It was harmless. Not great but not awful either.

I watched 'The Reader' last night. For the first half hour I was thinking they should have called it 'Horndog Robs Cradle' :D

But it was a good movie. I couldn't figure out why they didn't show how or when they arrested her?

I think the women camp guards were as bad as the men when it came to cruelty.

2310.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Saw the Hangover. It was pretty funny. Good guy movie.

I want to see that! "Tigers love pepper, they hate cinnemon."

The last movie I saw (at the movies) was Ghosts Of Girlfriends Past with Matthew McConaughey. It was okay. I wouldn't see it again. But the last movie I saw (at home) was Lonesome Dove. You have to put in 3 dics just to watch the whole dang movie! But its a good movie.

Edited by Heartbreaker_Girl

Saw the Hangover. It was pretty funny. Good guy movie.

Imagine that - Spats likes a film done by, starring, and intended for just men...

You do surprise us.

I'm probably gonna see Drag Me To Hell and The Hangover soonish. I want to see The Hangover and my boyfriend wants to see DMTH, so we've compromised - I'll go with him to see DMTH and he takes me out to see the Hangover. Two cinema trips a man will be forking out for - it's enough to bring Spats out in a sweat.

That's some cool lyrics.

I remember when the Vegas vultures auctioned off all of McQueen's bikes and memorabilia.

Assholes.

In the old days, the Drive-By Truckers would perform with a tapestry of Steve McQueen onstage behind them. If so inclined, you can watch a clip of them performing the song at the 40 Watt in Athens, GA earlier this year

cooley-steve.jpg

Guitarist Mike Cooley and Steve McQueen

Edited by Jahfin

Sound of the City: London 1964-73 (aka Rock City)

I had never seen this until it aired on VH1 Classic last night. It's not something I'd go out of my way to track down but it did have it's moments. Not to mention, it appears it's never been released on DVD (or maybe even VHS, I'm not sure). This review (circa 1981) from the New York Times pretty much sums it up.