Jay Leno's show cancelled

danelectro59

How Zucker's Leno quick fix got NBC into a quagmire

The NBC executive apparently had moved Jay Leno to prime time to avoid losing him to rival networks and to keep a promise to Conan O'Brien. But the focus on short-term gains proved a costly blunder.

By Meg James and Matea Gold

Los Angeles Times

January 9, 2010

Reporting from Los Angeles and New York - Jeff Zucker was a fearless news producer and fast-rising entertainment executive who was just 41 when he became head of NBC Universal. But in the last few years, the onetime whiz kid behind the "Today" show -- he turned Katie Couric into a star -- has made several costly miscalculations that have led to a spectacular fall by the country's premier television network.

Zucker's troubles were magnified this week when, with NBC facing a revolt by affiliate stations furious over their sinking ratings, he decided to move Jay Leno back to late night after less than four months. The unusual measure was an acknowledgment that Zucker's gambit to shift the comedian into prime time had failed.

NBC's Leno flip-flop, which is shaping up to be one of the biggest debacles in television history, underscores how Zucker, who views himself as a maverick and a champion of change, now faces a decidedly different legacy. Instead of the mogul with moxie who transformed television -- he called for "a re-engineering of our businesses from top to bottom" -- Zucker might better be remembered as the guy who plucked the peacock.

How Zucker found himself in such a fix is a study in how a chief executive, confronting wrenching changes to his business, reacts to challenges.

Now the network is bracing for more fallout: Will Conan O'Brien, who last spring became host of the storied "Tonight Show," leave the network when Leno moves from 10 p.m. back to 11:35 p.m., which could happen as soon as March? Will Leno remain content with a half-hour show, signing off at 12:05 a.m. to make room for O'Brien, if he stays? And how will NBC plug five hours of programming each week in Leno's vacated time slot?

Some veteran TV executives believe the Leno imbroglio could ultimately cost more than $200 million, including the damage inflicted on stations' local newscasts, their ad rates and NBC programs, such as "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," which lost millions of viewers when its time period was changed. They predicted that it could take years for NBC to rebuild.

"Everything about this decision seems to have been a disaster," said Jeffrey Cole, director of the Center for the Digital Future at the USC Annenberg School for Communication. "It looks like NBC shot itself in the foot, the arm, the neck -- and everywhere else."

Zucker declined to be interviewed. A senior NBC executive defended Zucker, saying, "I think Jeff's legacy will be that of an innovator who was not afraid to take risks. Not all big swings will work, but many will. For those that don't work, you have to be smart enough to know when to make a change, and that is what he has done."

For much of his career, the 44-year-old Harvard graduate has been the master of the quick fix. Not enough hit shows on the profitable Thursday night? "Supersize" the sitcoms "Friends" and "Will and Grace" to 45 minutes. Don't want to lose Jay Leno to a rival network? Give the late-night comedian his own show at 10 p.m. That way, NBC could keep both Leno and O'Brien in the fold.

But while Zucker's facile management technique was suited for running a news operation, it's had different consequences on the entertainment side of the network, which Zucker took over a decade ago.

The implosion of NBC's prime time -- and potential damage to a TV institution, "The Tonight Show" -- can be traced to three major decisions: In 2004, assuming that the wry host Conan O'Brien was the future and Leno would be ready for retirement, Zucker agreed to give O'Brien "The Tonight Show" in 2009. At the time, it was a major coup for Zucker, the network's programming chief who was angling to be the next CEO.

But as 2009 approached, Leno continued to triumph in the ratings and was showing no signs of slowing down. He groused on his show about his upcoming retirement, taking his unhappiness public.

Another blunder was when Zucker abruptly fired programming chief Kevin Reilly to hire the brash but inexperienced TV producer Ben Silverman to run NBC. The network quickly discovered that Silverman wasn't cut out to be an executive, but instead of easing him out, Zucker staunchly defended him for two years. Silverman created management turmoil and a string of duds that cost the network hundreds of millions of dollars.

Finally, in December 2008, Zucker, fearful of losing a disgruntled Leno to rival ABC, wooed him into prime time, clearing the "Tonight Show" perch for O'Brien. People close to Zucker said the decision was prompted by Zucker's desire to keep Leno at NBC and keep his 2004 promise to O'Brien.

Associates said Zucker boxed the network into an untenable position because of his tendency to focus on short-term gains and concern for perception. In his eagerness to keep Leno and O'Brien from defecting to rival networks, he failed to anticipate the collateral damage a low-rated 10 p.m. show would inflict on the newscasts of NBC affiliates.

"I think Jeff is a brilliant marketer and a brilliant tactician and a terrible strategist," said a former NBC executive who works in the TV industry and did not want to be named criticizing Zucker. "His view is, give people what they want at the time they want it. He's not a long-term strategy guy."

Still, while Zucker's retreat on Leno may be embarrassing, few seem to think it will lead to his immediate ouster. For one, General Electric signed a new three-year contract with Zucker in December, and no changes are expected until after NBC Universal's merger with Comcast Corp. closes.

"The amazing thing about Jeff Zucker is nothing bad ever seems to stick on him," said Ethan Heftman, vice president and director of national broadcast at the ad buying firm Initiative. "He has a knack for whatever happens program-wise, he's able to deliver a level of profitability that appeases his bosses. This is certainly a bigger deal than other things that didn't work."

The network still may be able to reverse its fortunes if it uses the opportunity to reboot its prime-time lineup, television industry executives said.

"It could be the silver lining in a season of dark clouds in that the network gets to start fresh with a creative and scheduling blank slate, which may be an unprecedented prime-time opportunity," said John Rash, senior vice president and director of media analysis at the Minneapolis-based advertising firm Campbell Mithun.

Indeed, TV writers who were dismayed when NBC turned the 10 p.m. hour over to Leno welcomed the notion that the network might once again be shopping for new programs.

"I think we're all relieved," said veteran writer Tom Fontana, who has produced shows such as "St. Elsewhere" and "Homicide," as well as last season's "The Philanthropist." "We're going to get five hours of real estate back that we lost. I'm thrilled that NBC will be back in the drama business."

The moment you knew this was going to fail was when Jay Leno was on Time magazine and it big words it said "Jay Leno is the future of Tv"

Really, Having somebody do a primetime skit show is new. Well sorry, I guess the Dean Martin show was the original sportscenter.

Than of course every liberal media dickhead thought this was the greatest thing since Obama.

Do you know how to fix Tv. Ill tell you.

Put a new godamn episode on every week for the full 24 weeks. Not 3 new episode than a month off than 2 new episode than 3 weeks of than a new episode. My favorite show is the Office. There has been 6 episodes and Im pretty sure Im going to see the season Finale pretty soon when it does come back.

and stop changing the time slot and days for these shows. I like "Life", but goddamn it, it went from Tuesday, to monday, and to Friday. Its coming back, but it will be in march and it will run for 8 weeks. Fail.

^What he said.

...except:

You forgot to mention that it a show should be about SOMETHING, ANYTHING OTHER THAN "reality TV." Spend some money developing a good show, and maybe, just maybe, you will get some ratings, and thus more advertisers to make some money. I don't want to watch a bunch of morbidly obese people cry while working out; I don't want to watch a bunch of people who have NO musical ability try to sing and make it big; and I don't want to watch a bunch of people "vote each other off the island."

Use some originality, and pay actors, and put old-fashioned TV back on. Even if it's smut like Married, With Children.

If there's any truth to Leno being "one of the friendliest people in show business," he'll do the right thing and not step on Conan's toes.

Now for Conan, he needs to ditch the lame jokes and beef up his skit routines. That always was the heart of the Tonight Show and they need to get back to that.

As for NBC, the reason why they continue to fail is because they don't take risks with developing original shows anymore. They have no one but themselves to blame for their continual lackluckster performances with shows that continue to bore the audience.

The RealityTV bubble has burst. Now, let's get back to good television.

"Does anybody remember laughter?"

Conan's got the peacock by the balls now because he can cite breach of contract and walk away from NBC, taking a a six-figure penalty payment with him. This arrangement won't work and he ought to consider moving over to CBS, ABC or cable if only to rid himself of Zucker. Personally, I don't watch his show because I've never found him to be funny.

Virtually everyone but the execs at NBC knew that the Tonight Show "part deux" at 10 eastern was a bad idea, but for some reason they felt an obligation to give Jay Leno a talk show, even after retiring. Just a few short months after Conan (who waited five years for the job) takes the helm he had to come back and draw the spotlight from him. This is all really tacky (but yeah, I realize it's showbiz). Hopefully Fox can give Conan a show at 11, keep him in CA so he won't have to move his family or those of his entire staff, and give him the kind of leeway he had at his old late night show to put out edgier humor, which is more his style. The Masturbating Bear should be welcome at Fox! :D

Virtually everyone but the execs at NBC knew that the Tonight Show "part deux" at 10 eastern was a bad idea, but for some reason they felt an obligation to give Jay Leno a talk show, even after retiring.

As I understand it, the problem is Leno didn't retire so now they have too much talent and too few late night timeslots.

Moving Leno to 11:35pm but giving him only 30 mins isn't likely to work. Someone has got to go and it looks like the

first casuality will be Carson Daly.

^What he said.

...except:

You forgot to mention that it a show should be about SOMETHING, ANYTHING OTHER THAN "reality TV." Spend some money developing a good show, and maybe, just maybe, you will get some ratings, and thus more advertisers to make some money. I don't want to watch a bunch of morbidly obese people cry while working out; I don't want to watch a bunch of people who have NO musical ability try to sing and make it big; and I don't want to watch a bunch of people "vote each other off the island."

Use some originality, and pay actors, and put old-fashioned TV back on. Even if it's smut like Married, With Children.

Right, and the latest turd that dropped to the floor has been MTV's Jersey Shore. I watched about 10 minutes and saw three fights, a girl doing cartwheels in a short dress at a nightclub with her crotch blurred out and every other word bleeped out. This show has brought reality TV to it's lowest level and has stirred the ire of both people of Italian descent and native New Jerseyians, who find these clowns a disgrace. Well, anyway, I hope "The Situation" finally gets laid :rolleyes:

I stopped watching these after Johnny Carson left (may he RIP).....how do you replace him....you don't!

Hear, hear!

Johnny was the master

Here is one of my favorite skits with Doug McClure (RIP), Jim Drury and Hal Needham. Ed McMahon's laughter in the background is priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTcv2hktGaA

I'd like to see Jay or Dave do that :D

I stopped watching these after Johnny Carson left (may he RIP).....how do you replace him....you don't!

The problem with today's talk shows, such as Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien and David Letterman, is while being often compared with Carson, they seem to me to be more of a imitation of each other than they are of the Johnny Carson show.

Hear, hear!

Johnny was the master

Here is one of my favorite skits with Doug McClure (RIP), Jim Drury and Hal Needham. Ed McMahon's laughter in the background is priceless.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TTcv2hktGaA

I'd like to see Jay or Dave do that biggrin.gif

I remember the SNL skits, Dana Carvey was hilarious

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/clips/the-carsenio-hall-show/278712/ laugh.gif

I truly think it's terrible what they're doing to Conan.

Jay stepped down from the night show on his own.

Then Jay decided he wasn't ready to retire, though he had previously said he wanted to.

NBC gave him a show to placate him, (that's how I see it).

It failed and was cancelled.

Now he's after The Tonight Show.

I'm not watching Leno's show now just to make a point.

As Jimmy Kimmell said last night, "come on Jay, Conan has mouths to feed, you just have 300 cars to put motor oil in."

• 4 years later...

Blame him or NBC, but this isn't the farewell Leno deserves

The host leaves 'The Tonight Show' on Thursday after 22 years.

Robert Bianco, USA TODAY5:46 p.m. EST February 5, 2014

1391635605000-LENO-EXITS-Leno-jy-0241.JP

(Photo: Dan MacMedan, USA TODAY)

Thursday night can't be what anyone wanted.

Surely, to the extent he ever thought about it, Jay Leno wanted to exit The Tonight Show on his own schedule and on his own terms. And certainly his bosses at NBC, to the extent they thought at all, only wanted him to exit once — say, in 2009, when they pushed him out for Conan O'Brien. Pushing him out again Thursday, this time for Jimmy Fallon, represents the kind of extra effort corporate America is loath to extend.

Yet here we are, with a second ejection that seems to have left all involved a bit embarrassed — like family members who are called yet again to the deathbed of a lingering relative and can no longer think of anything to say. Even the timing of Leno's presumably final departure, shoehorned between the Super Bowl and the Winter Olympics, seems designed to cut short any valedictory celebration. No wonderTonight has taken to recycling celebrants: Billy Crystal, who was on Leno's first show and is scheduled to return Thursday for his last, was a guest on the penultimate show the first/last time around.

Look: No one is owed a permanent job, in or out of TV. But Leno has been a good, loyal and very successful soldier for NBC, and he deserved a better farewell than the one he's been given. And it seems clear he agrees. It can't be by accident that one of his funniest jokes this week had the bitter ring of truth: "I read today that NBC said they would like me to be just like Bob Hope. Dead."

Yet if Leno is not being mourned in the way he'd like, that is ultimately more his fault than his network's. Handed one of the most powerful cultural platforms in America, he squandered it, more concerned with staying on the show than using it for any good purpose, either to project his voice or promote new talent.

In some ways, of course, Leno's Tonight Show was never going to match the impact of Johnny Carson's. Increased competition and splintering audiences were bound to decimate his ratings. But if ratings declines were inevitable, irrelevance was not.

Trapped in a long goodbye, Leno's only legacy is longevity; he has no other influence, even on his own show. Where Leno had to wear Carson's format like a straitjacket, Fallon is free to take the show his own way, safe in the assumption that his young fans are unlikely to say, "That's not how Jay did it."

So on Thursday night, Leno says goodbye — and let's hope it's for good, at least as host of The Tonight Show. He did not choose to leave. But should NBC come calling again, he can choose not to return.

Eventually, the time comes for all of us to let go, whether we want to or not.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/02/05/jay-leno-farewell/5225665/

Good riddance.

He took a beloved institution and neutered it into bland irrelevance. He leaves absolutely zero cultural footprints behind.

What is weird is that he used to be a moderately funny stand-up comedian back in the 80s. His "What's Your Beef?" segments on Late Show with David Letterman were funnier than anything he did as Tonight Show host. Maybe now that he doesn't have to be a talk show host anymore, he can go back to being a comedian.

So, is Jay really gone for good this time or will Jimmy Fallon be on TBS in a few years?

Jay's gone for good, there's no question about it. Jimmy Fallon I could take him or leave him but I realize he's very popular with the right demographics. He's also a close friend of Howard Stern. Call me crazy, but I can definitely see Fallon transitioning into whatever the next generation of cable tv is just as Stern transitioned from NBC to satellite radio. You gotta believe Stern will not only encourage him to break the mold but explain how.

Archived