IT MIGHT GET LOUD

I think Edge has been unfairly dismissed by some.

Is he on a technical proficiency level with Page/White ? No.

Is he responsible for melodies, songs, sounds and influences all over today's airwaves and amongst young bands ? Yes.

The guy is like the mad genius who forgets which street he lives on, he's a total scatterbrain. One time in the early days he sent a roadie out out to buy a copy of the War album because he forgot how to play Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Just watching the Oscars recently, it struck me Edge is the big CGI/special effects guy, White is the down home gritty independent filmmaker, Page is Scorsese or Coppola.

All have merit.

I agree with this take.

I'm not aware of any brilliant songs by U2! I realize that he's a major influence, but not in a good way I don't think. I really don't care for the drenched-in-echo sound he seems to rely on. When Joshua Tree came out, I hated it and haven't changed my mind since I first heard it. Bono's whiny voice (it sounds like he's crying in falsetto) is part of the problem, too. I really don't like anything they've recorded with the exception of Sunday, Bloody Sunday.

New Years Day is a good song might be there best one. Im not a big fan of edge either but saying he's not a good guitar player is your opinion. But he's not terrible either.

New Years Day is a good song might be there best one. Im not a big fan of edge either but saying he's not a good guitar player is your opinion. But he's not terrible either.

He's got his own niche. It works for what they're doing.

Music is so subjective, it's about emotions and how it makes you feel, and we're all different in those regards.

Personally, in the 'brilliant' category I'd put :

Where the Streets have no name

Bad

A Sort of Homecoming

Heartland

All I want is you

One Tree hill

Running to Stand still

Please

Until the End of the World

One

With or Without you

Those are brilliant, to ME.

I'm sure we all feel differently about which songs are anyone's best, even within the Zep camp.

Here, here! I am confused by all the U2/Edge bashing on this board. I would add a couple songs to that list personally, but that list is pretty good. For those of you who don't care for U2 let me ask you this... have you heard Under A Blood Red Sky? Because I don't see how anyone can listen to that and not be moved.

Here, here! I am confused by all the U2/Edge bashing on this board. I would add a couple songs to that list personally, but that list is pretty good. For those of you who don't care for U2 let me ask you this... have you heard Under A Blood Red Sky? Because I don't see how anyone can listen to that and not be moved.

Yes; love it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think Edge has been unfairly dismissed by some.

Is he on a technical proficiency level with Page/White ? No.

Is he responsible for melodies, songs, sounds and influences all over today's airwaves and amongst young bands ? Yes.

The guy is like the mad genius who forgets which street he lives on, he's a total scatterbrain. One time in the early days he sent a roadie out out to buy a copy of the War album because he forgot how to play Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Just watching the Oscars recently, it struck me Edge is the big CGI/special effects guy, White is the down home gritty independent filmmaker, Page is Scorsese or Coppola.

All have merit.

Very nice statement, I truely loved the Movie :stereo: as a music junkie it was the equivalent to an opiate fix for me ..I imagine ....only nicotine n coffee here .... :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who don't care for U2 let me ask you this... have you heard Under A Blood Red Sky? Because I don't see how anyone can listen to that and not be moved.

I don't know if I've heard it or not. All their stuff sounds the same to me. Bono whining in falsetto, Edge playing a repetitive riff with a wimpy sound, monotonous drums, etc. I've never heard anything from them that moved me.

A few posts back, someone accused me of saying he's not a good guitar player. I never said that. I don't know enough about the instrument to have an opinion on that. But I definitely don't like the music they write.

For those of you who don't care for U2 let me ask you this... have you heard Under A Blood Red Sky? Because I don't see how anyone can listen to that and not be moved.

I don't know if I've heard it or not. All their stuff sounds the same to me. Bono whining in falsetto, Edge playing a repetitive riff with a wimpy sound, monotonous drums, etc. I've never heard anything from them that moved me.

A few posts back, someone accused me of saying he's not a good guitar player. I never said that. I don't know enough about the instrument to have an opinion on that. But I definitely don't like the music they write.

Have to agree with you about the, "sounding the same" about most all of U2's song's, it's nothing personal as I don't actually know any of these guy's. Bloody Sunday is an OK song but I'm not at all a die hard U2 fan.

You say that you never heard anything that moved you from them. How about the song New years day?? To me its there best song and its not repetitive.

I think their Joshua Tree album is terrific. That disc captures them at their folksy best. Very moving sound. But to put Edge in the same room as Jimmy is plain ridiculous.

Jimmy says otherwise

wow i didn't know there was already a DVD. i have a birthday soon that's going to be at the top of my list. I have TSRTS, led zeppelin (2003) and no quarter already. huge fan of Jimmy Page and Jack White... the U2 guy not so much. U2 kinda... sucks.

You should add the Under the Great Northern Lights dvd to your birthday list also (about the White Stripes tour of Canada). There's a thread about it too. :)

wow i didn't know there was already a DVD. i have a birthday soon that's going to be at the top of my list. I have TSRTS, led zeppelin (2003) and no quarter already. huge fan of Jimmy Page and Jack White... the U2 guy not so much. U2 kinda... sucks.

Maybe U2 thinks you kinda suck to.

Maybe U2 thinks you kinda suck to.

Well, I'm sure U2 doesn't give any of us a 2nd thought, but say what you will they have been together for 35 years, and have been at "the top" for 30 of them.

Not too many bands can say that.

Actually, there is no other band I can think of who have this successful with the same line up for this long.

No one.

Someone is doing something right in the U2 camp.

I listened to the videos above for a little bit, which was all I could stand. 'With or Without You' is my least favorite song in the world, and it's the quintessential U2 song--Bono whining in falsetto, endlessly repetitive guitar riff that goes nowhere and says nothing. And it sounds exactly like 'All I Want is You', which sounds exactly like 'I Still haven't found what I'm looking for.' They're all the same song! I really feel like U2 is the worst thing to happen to rock and roll in the last 30 years, because that wimpy echoey repetitive guitar sound without the slightest bit of soul is just horrific to me, and Bono's girlish weeping is so wimpy that I can't stand to hear it. These guys sound so depressed that I'm surprised they're able to get out of bed in the morning!

Archived