Should I get a kitten?

Atlas

I agree with MissHoneyDripper. A kitten should have someone around more often, and a cat would be better if being left alone for long periods of time. I also agree about looking at a shelter. If you are serious about having a pet, then why not save a life that you "can" save. By no means get a dog. Dogs require alot of care, attention and especially your time. I will ask that you make certain your new pet will be with you for as long as it lives and will be taken care of properly. I "despise" people who think pets are dispensable. It's a committment for the life of the pet.

As for your other situation, all i can do is shake my head. You should have left her a long time ago. You don't have to stop loving someone to walk away when it's just too late.

I agree with MissHoneyDripper. A kitten should have someone around more often, and a cat would be better if being left alone for long periods of time. I also agree about looking at a shelter. If you are serious about having a pet, then why not save a life that you "can" save. By no means get a dog. Dogs require alot of care, attention and especially your time. I will ask that you make certain your new pet will be with you for as long as it lives and will be taken care of properly. I "despise" people who think pets are dispensable. It's a committment for the life of the pet.

As for your other situation, all i can do is shake my head. You should have left her a long time ago. You don't have to stop loving someone to walk away when it's just too late.

I don't think pets are dispensable and I certainly don't think people are.

I don't think pets are dispensable and I certainly don't think people are.

It's a question i think anyone should ask before being a pet owner. Wasn't specific to you. I am sick of all the strays i see, the abuse i see on the news (just last night on the local news a father/husband was arrested for setting the family dog on fire) WTF??? Sick of animal abuse. Animals in our homes are at our mercy to care for them. You sugar on the other hand is a grown woman who "should" be able to care for herself. If she wanted you, she would be with you.

She often doesn't even know where she is. I am serious. She really is scrambled. There are times when she thinks she's on the subway when she's in my apartment.

Edit to add: Besides, you keep talking like this is about me and what I want for myself. You are missing the point here.

She often doesn't even know where she is. I am serious. She really is scrambled. There are times when she thinks she's on the subway when she's in my apartment.

Edit to add: Besides, you keep talking like this is about me and what I want for myself. You are missing the point here.

Her alcoholism is not something you can cure, and you already know that. She's not your wife and she only uses you. Look at her. She would rather be with an abuser than someone who loves her? You should have more love for yourself so you can start to heal. You will see in the future that you wasted alot of time on a lost cause. I just wish you would do what you know is best for "you".

it seems to me that "the system" is set up to destroy people like her. It's almost as if the civil libertarians have intentionally set up conditions designed to prevent people like her from getting help. That is not only my opinion. It is the opinion of one of the top mental health professionals in the US, whom I know personally. He told me that in direct reference to my friend.

You will see in the future that you wasted alot of time on a lost cause. I just wish you would do what you know is best for "you".

She has enriched my life in many ways. It may be a lost cause to try to get her to stop drinking. But the time I have spent with her is not wasted.

Edit to add: If she ever sobers up she is going to look around for a good man and realize how much she f'ed up.

it seems to me that "the system" is set up to destroy people like her. It's almost as if the civil libertarians have intentionally set up conditions designed to prevent people like her from getting help. That is not only my opinion. It is the opinion of one of the top mental health professionals in the US, whom I know personally. He told me that in direct reference to my friend.

If she is truly documented as having a mental illness then she would get all the help she needs and then some, it's called "SSDI"

Is she a legal citizen? Has she worked in the recent past?

Now for the question of the day, if you have to ask I would say NO!

If you don't want your place to smell like a litterbox I would say NO!

If you don't want your favorite piece of furnurature shredded to pieces I would say NO!

Basically if you don't want your home detroyed I would say NO!

I don't say this to be mean, I love animals and have had dogs and cats all of my life until now mainly due to the fact I can't care for them right now so it wouldn't be good for the animal. The rest is just 50 years of experience so if you can't devote a major part of your time to caring for your pet then you shouldn't get one.

Why limit bringing the crazies home to just the two-legged species?

I would find a community advocate at the police department and ask them what to do in regard to your lady friend. She is in a lot of trouble hanging out with that guy. If they keep that routine going neither one of them will have a very bright future.

And don't make any demands on her. She is not ready for a relationship with you. Find someone who is.

Holy dog poop Light!!! Give that cat some thing to eat besides ass-wipe paper!! :D

One of many reason's NOT to have pet's IN the house!

If she is truly documented as having a mental illness then she would get all the help she needs and then some, it's called "SSDI"

Is she a legal citizen? Has she worked in the recent past?

It's not that simple. If you are able to work at all, then you will not receive SSDI. It appears that alcohol addiction actually counts against a person. She was turned down for SSDI.

Now for the question of the day, if you have to ask I would say NO!

Actually, I got some good advice here. I will not get just one kitten. I'm going to wait until I get a new car so I can afford all the startup materials to take care of them properly.

If you don't want your place to smell like a litterbox I would say NO!

If you don't want your favorite piece of furnurature shredded to pieces I would say NO!

Basically if you don't want your home detroyed I would say NO!

I don't say this to be mean, I love animals and have had dogs and cats all of my life until now mainly due to the fact I can't care for them right now so it wouldn't be good for the animal. The rest is just 50 years of experience so if you can't devote a major part of your time to caring for your pet then you shouldn't get one.

Damn! And I thought you were still talking about the girl. .3+ blood alcohol does have a tendency to lead to all of the above. :o

You could always get a part-time job in a pet store.

Btw, how will the kitty get along with the betta fish?

Well, the betta was her idea. When I got the damn fish I asked the people at Petco if I should salt it, or just eat it plain. Will the cat choke on the bones?

No, I wouldn't do that. The fish isn't the guilty party.

Don't get a cat if it's going to sit alone in a house all day. While a cat is independent, they need a lot of attention too.

And I strongly recommend you go to a shelter and get an actual cat. That way you know what you're getting. A kitten could turn out to have a personality that doesn't agree with you once it becomes an adult cat. Plus, there are so many great cats that are homeless man. It's awful. Go find one. I did and it was the best decision ever.

I got my cat from the shelter. He cost $50, and he was full of personality. I haven't had ANY issues with him: he's well-behaved, doesn't jump on the counters, tables, or anywhere else I don't like him, he goes to the bathroom outside, he is an awesome animal all around.

If you feel like you need a pet, I'd recommend an adult cat--even if he's a year or two old.

...and yes, you need to pay attention to the little guy when you're home. Mine acts like he's totally deprived if he doesn't get what we call "lap time" every day.

My cat...the best in the entire world :wub: ....was adopted from the shelter as a kitten. My daughter wanted one at the time and we picked him out together. He had to stay home alone for some of the day. At least six hours. We trained him from day one....with the aid of a squirt bottle. He never, ever ever went potty outside his litter box. He never destroyed anything we didn't let him destroy. Never had a problem with him.

Also there are play cages you can buy if you're that paranoid.

No one would have a pet if as some of you suggested, if they have a job.

That's just silly to me.

Happily though, our legislators just passed a bill that makes it a crime to have your dog TIED up for 10 hours. :yesnod:

Also...older cat's come with their own set of habits, some hard to break. Not that you couldn't find one compatible. Just sayin'.

Archived