Jump to content

What show or live song are you listening to now?


Misfit
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 7/16/2022 at 6:13 PM, Walesdad said:

How do you rate the Greensboro show? I know this is not a too highly rated affair but apparently an upgraded tape is an improvement on what was available before.

You know I don’t think it is as bad as has been reported.  I might be bias because I grew up in Greensboro.  It is by no means as good as Long Beach, Vancouver or Nassau Coliseum, but I still like it a lot.  I really hope that someday the show from 77 in Greensboro is found.  Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sheppard said:

You know I don’t think it is as bad as has been reported.  I might be bias because I grew up in Greensboro.  It is by no means as good as Long Beach, Vancouver or Nassau Coliseum, but I still like it a lot.  I really hope that someday the show from 77 in Greensboro is found.  Thanks!

That's pretty much what I thought. This show has had a lousy press over the years but I think an upgraded version of the tape of it has just made its way onto disc and it paints a truer picture of the gig. Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

 

Man, I haven’t listened to this in a long time. Jimmy is on fire. Obviously Jonesy and Bonham are always locked in. I want to go back and read the Nit-Picks on this specific show. Very impressive. Musically/Instrumentally 73 was a banner year. Despite what my screen name is, I don’t have a favorite band member. It changes with the concert, time, whatever I’m into at that moment. But I personally really like Robert’s voice in 73. Some of the raw power has left, but the phrasing, the emotion, the vulnerability of his voice is something I really dig in this period. Jimmy’s tone, style, and attitude in 73 is probably my favorite time period of the 70’s. Just the way the songs had developed. I will say that 98 was a very special time for Jimmy, and something that I go back to often. But I digress, this show/performance is spectacular. 
 

Thanks for posting this 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always liked this wonderful 1977 photo.  Something about it seems to capture the feeling of the 1977 shows.  It is great angle to see both the band and the crowd up front at the same time.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1975 bass tone, soundboard, Grame remastering.  That's the ticket.  "We'll have a nice long show."  You think?

"no lighted material".  Yeah, right.  That would be a great name for a bootleg, "No Lighted Material".

 

Edited by John M
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2022 at 3:20 AM, John M said:

Speaking of bass tone, we have this absolute gem from Wanton Song 1975. 

 

I have the "DARIO ROMERO REMASTER 2021" version of this - but I think the EVSD (youtube) version is a better remaster. Anyone have a link to that please?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more I listen to this, whether via cd or this colored vinyl I just picked up, the more I am convinced it is a 1973 soundcheck, not 1975 as some sources have it.

20220727_233335.thumb.jpg.3c731b2c0f0e1d5ba219fa1165ba152e.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Strider said:

The more I listen to this, whether via cd or this colored vinyl I just picked up, the more I am convinced it is a 1973 soundcheck, not 1975 as some sources have it.

20220727_233335.thumb.jpg.3c731b2c0f0e1d5ba219fa1165ba152e.jpg

Well let me offer this as food for thought. Has the emergence of the Bloomington 75 show made it more plausible that this soundcheck is indeed from the afternoon of that show? 75 was rejected based on how weak Robert's voice was in Chicago. Until Bloomington emerged that's all we had to go on. But compare and contrast this soundcheck with the Bloomington show - both in overall sound and Wanton Song in particular. My ears tell me it's a persuasive argument. Wanton Song is at 50 minutes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Zep Hed said:

Well let me offer this as food for thought. Has the emergence of the Bloomington 75 show made it more plausible that this soundcheck is indeed from the afternoon of that show? 75 was rejected based on how weak Robert's voice was in Chicago. Until Bloomington emerged that's all we had to go on. But compare and contrast this soundcheck with the Bloomington show - both in overall sound and Wanton Song in particular. My ears tell me it's a persuasive argument. Wanton Song is at 50 minutes.

 

It is not just Robert's voice that says 1973 to me. There is a world of difference between the 1973 soundboards and the 1975 soundboards. Everything about the sound check tape with the Rover, Night Flight, and the rock n roll oldies says 1973 to me. The sound of Jones bass, Bonham's drums (especially the snare and kick drum), and Jimmy's guitar are more in line with how they sounded on the 1973 soundboards than the 1975 soundboards.

Also, "Wanton Song", "Night Flight", and "The Rover" were finished recorded songs by 1975. If this was a sound check from 1975 the band would have been playing those songs in their finished form with the proper lyrics as heard on "Physical Graffiti", which was in the can and due to be released at the end of February.

But what you hear on that tape are rudimentary stabs at the songs, with Robert just winging it on the lyrics.

Nope. To my ears it is definitely 1973.

 

Edited by Strider
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wendy's Badgeholders... First post. Sorry about the controversial avatar but have been using the same pic and nick on all forums (all motorcycle related) that I have joined. Did some CD changing etc. in early noughties and have now revived this bootleg hobby as so many new shows with quality have emerged and you can study them online. What a great time to be alive.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...