Fave member of Led Zeppelin

UWICLedZeppelin

Recently joined this forum, its great that their are communities online that fans can discuss stories, nostalgia and other related material. Im 24 discovered Zep when I was about 19, a late developer into real music and sound before hip hop destriyed the musical landscape par a few modern bands. My favourite member has always been Plant something about his on stage persona 'though only seen through a variety of videos', blogs and old TV shows from the 70's. The question is who is your fav member of the band, have you got a favourite?

Well, my choice will definitely suprise many. It is John Paul Jones! :wub:

Because, I can relate to him...you know? He seems to have this really quiet and dignified air about him! :wub: My personality in real life is exactly like his! Among my peer groups, I am practically known as "the quiet one". I am one of the shyest people, you will ever meet in your life! :D

Well, my choice will definitely suprise many. It is John Paul Jones! :wub:

Because, I can relate to him...you know? He seems to have this really quiet and dignified air about him! :wub: My personality in real life is exactly like his! Among my peer groups, I am practically known as "the quiet one". I am one of the shyest people, you will ever meet in your life! :D

I certainly agree with you Kiwi. After listening to a recent interview with JPJ, it's amazing how he performed with Zeppelin live. He was joking that if they had additional instruments they wanted to use for a song, they would never get someone else in to do it, they'd just say 'oh Jonesy will do it'! And he did. It seems he could play and would play pretty much anything with strings or keys! Musically he's so underrated.

Also I like that fact that he was the 'quiet one', and that, unlike the other members, he was pretty much faithful to his wife while he was on the road. He would often stay in different hotels from the other members to escape the mayhem. And he even thought about quitting the band in '73 because of it. :o

Kiwi, I used to be painfully shy as child, my teacher say would I'm like a little mouse in the classroom. :lol: I'm still shy now and will never be an extrovert. But it's my belief that shy people are the most interesting because when they do eventaully open up and talk they have something worthwhile to say. ;)

I certainly agree with you Kiwi. After listening to a recent interview with JPJ, it's amazing how he performed with Zeppelin live. He was joking that if they had additional instruments they wanted to use for a song, they would never get someone else in to do it, they'd just say 'oh Jonesy will do it'! And he did. It seems he could play and would play pretty much anything with strings or keys! Musically he's so underrated.

Also I like that fact that he was the 'quiet one', and that, unlike the other members, he was pretty much faithful to his wife while he was on the road. He would often stay in different hotels from the other members to escape the mayhem. And he even thought about quitting the band in '73 because of it. :o

Kiwi, I used to be painfully shy as child, my teacher say would I'm like a little mouse in the classroom. :lol: I'm still shy now and will never be an extrovert. But it's my belief that shy people are the most interesting because when they do eventaully open up and talk they have something worthwhile to say. ;)

Poor old Jonesy! I guess Robert and Jimmy in particular thought of him as "the quiet, faithful and dependable one and possibly sidey!". I really do love the fact that Jonesy has been faithful to his wife for all these years. He is a hero in my book for not ummm..."giving in to temptation!". And I don't blame him for considering quitting the band! I guess Robert and Jimmy sometimes proved to be way too wild for poor old Jonesy's taste! :lol: Marriage is something sacred and it's for keeps. If you can't stay faithful then don't commit! I think Robert and Jimmy can learn A LOT from Jonesy!

Magic, I used to be painfully shy too as a child. I am a bit of an introvert but I see nothing wrong with that (but once you get to really know me, I can be a bit of a clown)! :D In school, I have been at the receiving end of such sharp criticism as early as the 2nd grade for not properly "interracting" in class. The talkative ones always used to be the ones who were taken seriously. One teacher even went so far as to force me to take part in a "suprise" speech contest in front of the whole class and even had a good laugh at my expense! Mind you, this was in the fourth grade. The teachers have even complained to my parents saying such hurtful things like "I think your daughter may have a psychological problem and should visit the School counsellor immediately! She sadly, suffers from an inferiority complex!". My mom pretty much had a lot of faith in me (that's why I love her so much), telling me not to worry and that I will soon blossom out! And might I add, some of the so-called talkative ones who used to dominate and be classified as intelligent and outgoing, ended up failing in the 7th form exams! Ha! That's why in life, one should never, ever underestimate a shy person! ;) And you're absolutely right! It's the shy people who have got the most interesting things to say. Afterall, empty vessels make the most noise! ;) Also, Tim Sebastian (I love HARDTALK, btw), who happens to be one of my favourite journalists, used to be shy in school too. I even read somewhere that he even had a stutter while in school! But look how his life turned out in the end! Shy people always triumph no matter what! :D Another person who I think resembles Jonesy is Brian May! He is such a dignified and intelligent man! The only member of Queen who holds a PhD! :wub: Oh and I forgot about poor old John Deacon! :wub: I like these two blokes better than Freddie and Roger, to be honest!

Poor old Jonesy! I guess Robert and Jimmy in particular thought of him as "the quiet, faithful and dependable one and possibly sidey!". I really do love the fact that Jonesy has been faithful to his wife for all these years. He is a hero in my book for not ummm..."giving in to temptation!". And I don't blame him for considering quitting the band! I guess Robert and Jimmy sometimes proved to be way too wild for poor old Jonesy's taste! :lol: Marriage is something sacred and it's for keeps. If you can't stay faithful then don't commit! I think Robert and Jimmy can learn A LOT from Jonesy!

Magic, I used to be painfully shy too as a child. I am a bit of an introvert but I see nothing wrong with that (but once you get to really know me, I can be a bit of a clown)! :D In school, I have been at the receiving end of such sharp criticism as early as the 2nd grade for not properly "interracting" in class. The talkative ones always used to be the ones who were taken seriously. One teacher even went so far as to force me to take part in a "suprise" speech contest in front of the whole class and even had a good laugh at my expense! Mind you, this was in the fourth grade. The teachers have even complained to my parents saying such hurtful things like "I think your daughter may have a psychological problem and should visit the School counsellor immediately! She sadly, suffers from an inferiority complex!". My mom pretty much had a lot of faith in me (that's why I love her so much), telling me not to worry and that I will soon blossom out! And might I add, some of the so-called talkative ones who used to dominate and be classified as intelligent and outgoing, ended up failing in the 7th form exams! Ha! That's why in life, one should never, ever underestimate a shy person! ;) And you're absolutely right! It's the shy people who have got the most interesting things to say. Afterall, empty vessels make the most noise! ;) Also, Tim Sebastian (I love HARDTALK, btw), who happens to be one of my favourite journalists, used to be shy in school too. I even read somewhere that he even had a stutter while in school! But look how his life turned out in the end! Shy people always triumph no matter what! :D Another person who I think resembles Jonesy is Brian May! He is such a dignified and intelligent man! The only member of Queen who holds a PhD! :wub: Oh and I forgot about poor old John Deacon! :wub: I like these two blokes better than Freddie and Roger, to be honest!

Kiwi, You're absolutely right about Dr Brian May from Queen. I have been a big admirer of his from many years. Did you know that he designed and made his own electric guitar when he was a teenager and that's the guitar he played when he was in Queen? Also John Deacon is a lovely, quiet family man. They aren't attention seekers and admire then for that.

Kiwi, You're absolutely right about Dr Brian May from Queen. I have been a big admirer of his from many years. Did you know that he designed and made his own electric guitar when he was a teenager and that's the guitar he played when he was in Queen? Also John Deacon is a lovely, quiet family man. They aren't attention seekers and admire then for that.

Yep! I do! I love a rock 'n' roll star who is an intellectual too! Gosh! That's just amazing! :wub: And yep! John Deacon is indeed a lovely, quiet family man! :wub: In fact, I read somewhere that he was picked to be the bassist for Queen because of his quiet nature so that Freddie will end up being the focus of attention and the dominant one in the group! Wow! Imagine that! :lol:

Reswati man much appreciation for the youtube video, I currently live in Cardiff 'a great city' really quite big on rock music and decent bands, everything Plant said was right though a certain look to a certain club. Kiwi JPJ fair play not many people go for him as the fave member but I feel its really interesting you like him as you feel personally connected to his actual life persona, rather then on stage.

• 2 weeks later...

That's like asking which is your favorite tire on the car or which is your favorite sense -- sight, sound, taste or smell?

All of them are irreproachably brilliant. Jimmy has written my favorite guitar riffs and Robert is one of my favorite poets of all time. Being a drummer, Bonzo is the epitome of cool for me, and I've spent a thousands of hours trying to imitate his energy.... And, besides being the mortar in the Led Zeppelin wall of music, John Paul has contributed his moosical genius to some of my very favorite post-Zeppelin bands, like the Butthole Surfers, R.E.M. and them Crooked Vultures...don't make me choose...:slapface:

John Paul Jones is my favorite, honestly. Very versatile as an instrumentalist and wrote some awesome pieces of music for them. I think he's a bit underrated compared to the others, more than likely because he was rather quiet and preferred to hang out in the background doing his thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm not unlike others. My personal favorite member is Robert Plant. I think he was more of the voice of the band, and i don't mean just lead vocals. He did a lot more interviews than the others. Bonzo was usually too fucked up lol. Page didn't like the media, and that's okay, I can barley understand him anyways. He speaks through his guitar. And John Paul Jones was... well i guess being John Paul Jones. I share more of the same philosophies with Plant than any of the other members.

as a guitarist it would be rock'n'roll blasphamy not so say JIMMY PAGE!!! My hair is actually in curlers as I speak (or type) beacuse I'm trying to get it to look like his. My mom says guys don't like girls who try to look like members of Led Zepelin but... I don't care I love Page he's the best. Period. End of sentence. The best.

• 1 year later...

as a guitarist it would be rock'n'roll blasphamy not so say JIMMY PAGE!!! My hair is actually in curlers as I speak (or type) beacuse I'm trying to get it to look like his. My mom says guys don't like girls who try to look like members of Led Zepelin but... I don't care I love Page he's the best. Period. End of sentence. The best.

girls who are not even fans of led zeppelin spend so much time and money trying to get the hair that Jimmy and Robert naturally had.

Poor old Jonesy! I guess Robert and Jimmy in particular thought of him as "the quiet, faithful and dependable one and possibly sidey!". I really do love the fact that Jonesy has been faithful to his wife for all these years. He is a hero in my book for not ummm..."giving in to temptation!". And I don't blame him for considering quitting the band! I guess Robert and Jimmy sometimes proved to be way too wild for poor old Jonesy's taste! laugh.gif Marriage is something sacred and it's for keeps. If you can't stay faithful then don't commit! I think Robert and Jimmy can learn A LOT from Jonesy!

Certainly so. That's why he's one of my two Zep favorites (well, that and because I'm a bass enthusiast, heheh ^^).

The other being Bonzo, who was such a gifted professional. To this day I think Moby Dick is the best instrumental EVER, period (and I don't really like instrumentals that much!).

Archived