How come Blackmore does not get the Respect he deserves ?

lynxwizard

lol mmm well there are some good country songs. But country songs are like Stairway to Heaven; even if they are good, it gets to the point where you gasp for fresh air, or at least I do. Sometimes it all gets a little too bland, over-syrupy and tedious.

You ain'ta kiddin' there Silver. I like Ghost Riders in the Sky. Now if Ritchie did that one I might give it a listen, but all this new country goin' on is CRAP !

Would they call that Englishcana over there? I wouldn't welcome a British invasion of that, we have enough, really too much of it, here.

Would they call that Englishcana over there? I wouldn't welcome a British invasion of that, we have enough, really too much of it, here.

No, we just call it crap :lol:

It's kind of like the English version of country - not quite as comical, but a lot older. Medieval, I think - minstrel in the gallery stuff. Crumhorns & lutes, finger in the ear 'Hey nonny nonny' bullshit. Ruffs and crushed velvet. You ever seen Morris Dancers (a bit like your line-dancers)? Well, it's the kind of stuff they dance to.

Like RP with his Red Sovine trip, there's a hardcore of die-hards who lap it all up just because it's him. Others deride it, or just try to ignore it.

To be fair, the signs were there with Bald-Rick way back in the early Rainbow days, when he used to play 18-hour versions of Greensleeves. I actually wish he'd run with that particular ball sooner - then we might have been spared the later Rainbow debacles, and the pointless Purple reunion. Jeez...

Ian Gillan in an interview a while back laughingly referred to Ritchie Blackmore as "the banjo player",I thought that was funny.It seems that no-one out of the various reincarnations of Deep Purple has much good to say about RB,he certainly was a major part in the revolving door,hire & fire machine that was that band.In fact a couple of members out of the Mk II DP said that they never felt that their positions in the band were ever safe.Along with the fact that he was moody and hard to get along with,Ronnie James Dio was one of many who paled under Blackmore's withering dark glare.

So,after seemingly shitcanning the guy, I still think he was a very good guitarist.And many people cite him as an influence.

But as regards the thread title,he was a part of Deep Purple and I think most see him as that.Blackmore's fine playing worked within the band,and I'd suggest that's how he's looked at,as being the guitarist for Deep Purple,and then "Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow".Deep Purple being seen as having cult status from the late 60's and 70's rock scene and onwards,and rightly so.

So,if you're talking Deep Purple?,you're talking Ritchie Blackmore.He deserves respect for his playing,back then.

It's kind of like the English version of country - not quite as comical, but a lot older. Medieval, I think - minstrel in the gallery stuff. Crumhorns & lutes, finger in the ear 'Hey nonny nonny' bullshit. Ruffs and crushed velvet. You ever seen Morris Dancers (a bit like your line-dancers)? Well, it's the kind of stuff they dance to.

Like RP with his Red Sovine trip, there's a hardcore of die-hards who lap it all up just because it's him. Others deride it, or just try to ignore it.

To be fair, the signs were there with Bald-Rick way back in the early Rainbow days, when he used to play 18-hour versions of Greensleeves. I actually wish he'd run with that particular ball sooner - then we might have been spared the later Rainbow debacles, and the pointless Purple reunion. Jeez...

Lute at 1:36...I love this song. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7movKfyTBII

• 1 month later...

I really dig Ritchie Blackmore. He's a big influence on me as a guitarist. No where near Jimmy Page but he's up there. Deep Purple is just a different heavy group. They have a really different sound and Ritchie really contributed that. I play Deep Purple, beyond Smoke of course, to my friend's and they all like it because it is different sounding. I would say Ritchie is a very under-rated guitarist. Too many people think Ritchie Blackmore = Smoke on the Water but there is so much more to him than that. He has a lot of great riffs other than that song. Burn is especially one of them. However, you can argue that out of all of those other riffs he has, some are just spin-offs of others.

'Pontless Purple reunion' ? that is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard

I guess that means you won't have heard The House Of Blue Light.

I love that album Bouillon.

Richie is a Great Guitar Virtuoso but a miserable human being to get along with, he has a serious problem with peoples contributing to HIS band and the best thing he ever did was go it alone with his dear lady and leave Deep Purple to carry on without him. :o

Kind Regards, Danny

I guess that means you won't have heard The House Of Blue Light.

Was that only record they did when they go back together ? NO, of course I have heard The House of Blue Light' I got it the day it came out back in early 87 and it is a very good record.

The reformation created some classic stuff, Knocking at your Backdoor, Perfect Strangers, Bad Attitude, The Battle Rages On, Anya ect, and listen to 'Son of Alerik' to hear the master at work , beautiful guitar on this track.

Try telling a young man who was front row center for the 85 tour that it was all pointless, the best show I was ever at, and I have seen allot, Zep included.

Try telling a young man who was front row center for the 85 tour that it was all pointless, the best show I was ever at, and I have seen allot, Zep included.

I was at their Knebworth show in 85. Here's all I can remember:

• It rained all day
  • Meatloaf coming under heavy and sustained abuse from the crowd :thumbsup:
  • The Scorpions stealing the show
  • When DP were on, thinking 'Man, I wish this were a Rainbow with Dio reunion instead'
  • No songs from their best albums (Burn and Come Taste The Band)
  • Realising as I trudged mehly away that in terms of music, stature and legacy, DP weren't fit to wipe the arses of the band who had headlined the same venue 6 years earlier. IMO.

I was at their Knebworth show in 85. Here's all I can remember:

• It rained all day
  • Meatloaf coming under heavy and sustained abuse from the crowd :thumbsup:
  • The Scorpions stealing the show
  • When DP were on, thinking 'Man, I wish this were a Rainbow with Dio reunion instead'
  • No songs from their best albums (Burn and Come Taste The Band)
  • Realising as I trudged mehly away that in terms of music, stature and legacy, DP weren't fit to wipe the arses of the band who had headlined the same venue 6 years earlier. IMO.

If thats all you can remember you must have been high, if you were wishing it was somebody else then you were not there to see the Headliners, while Burn and Come Taste the Band are very good expecting them to do songs from those records is just ridiculous, Gillian was singing not Coverdale. but maybe your were expecting Coverdale to walk out on stage.

You talk about the band that played there 6 years before, from what I recall those shows were not that wonderful, was every DP show great ? no, was every Zep show great ? no, but MOST of the time both bands were very good, I love both bands and your 'arse' comment is just plain stupid, there is no reason to talk like that.

You are one of the few who think DP's getting back together was pointless and to say Come Taste the band is their best record is well................ if you took a poll it would not even be close, remember Machine Head ?, while everyone has a opinion yours and I try to respect most yours is just downright unbelievable.

Actually Come Taste The Band really was a great album and badly overlooked then and now. Tommy Bolin was a great musician and honestly, I think he brought something to DP that was lacking badly at that time. He made them sound like something completely different which is not an easy thing to do.

Gillian wouldn't sing Coverdale? Did he ever sing Rod Evans though?

bouillon, its too bad the band only did that one show in the UK that your, the british fans got short changed, I saw them 3 times in 85, I can see how the rain that day would not have left a kind memory, some refered to that one as 'Mudworth' .

Actually Come Taste The Band really was a great album and badly overlooked then and now. Tommy Bolin was a great musician and honestly, I think he brought something to DP that was lacking badly at that time. He made them sound like something completely different which is not an easy thing to do.

Gillian wouldn't sing Coverdale? Did he ever sing Rod Evans though?

Yes it is a great album, as to did Gillan ever sing Evans I think you know he did, Hush, that is a bit different, he had just joined that band in 69 and it was a big hit in the states.

The reason he would not sing Coverdale songs was because he was bitter about leaving the band at the time, he really did not want to leave but was burned out, he said doing a Coverdale song would be like sleeping with your ex.

If thats all you can remember you must have been high [yes, but no more than usual] , if you were wishing it was somebody else then you were not there to see the Headliners [yes I was], while Burn and Come Taste the Band are very good expecting them to do songs from those records is just ridiculous [hmm...almost as ridiculous as expecting them to play a Rainbow instrumental] , Gillian was singing not Coverdale. but maybe your were expecting Coverdale to walk out on stage [now you're just being stooopid].

You talk about the band that played there 6 years before, from what I recall those shows were not that wonderful [you must have been high - on the wrong drugs], was every DP show great ? no, was every Zep show great ? no, but MOST of the time both bands were very good, I love both bands and your 'arse' comment is just plain stupid, there is no reason to talk like that [just my opinion dude].

You are one of the few who think DP's getting back together was pointless and to say Come Taste the band is their best record is well................ if you took a poll it would not even be close, remember Machine Head ? [vastly overrated. Connoisseurs are able to detect their better albums], while everyone has a opinion yours and I try to respect most yours is just downright unbelievable [your prerogative. People used to think the earth was flat.]

if you want to talk about how wonderful Zep is and how horrible Purple are start a thread on it.

That's not what I'm saying.

There was a time in the mid-70s when I liked DP almost as much as LZ. Almost. But I think DP's 70s music hasn't aged at all well. As I think I've said elsewhere, this is IMO mainly down to Jon Lord's keyboards, and the neo-classical nature of much of their music. So whereas LZ (some of RP's daft hippy lyrics aside) and the Sabs still sound fairly contemporary and valid after all these years, I find it very difficult to take DP seriously anymore. And that was already the case back in 84, when they made their (IMO) thoroughly underwhelming comeback.

That's not what I'm saying.

There was a time in the mid-70s when I liked DP almost as much as LZ. Almost. But I think DP's 70s music hasn't aged at all well. As I think I've said elsewhere, this is IMO mainly down to Jon Lord's keyboards, and the neo-classical nature of much of their music. So whereas LZ (some of RP's daft hippy lyrics aside) and the Sabs still sound fairly contemporary and valid after all these years, I find it very difficult to take DP seriously anymore. And that was already the case back in 84, when they made their (IMO) thoroughly underwhelming comeback.

I know this is a Zep site but it seems a crime to say you like someone more then Zep, I am not afraid to say it, at Times I like Purple MORE then Zep, it goes back and forth for me, I for one love Lords playing and their neo-classical sounds, they have aged well to these ears, speaking of Sabs, eairler you said you were upset they did not do any songs from Burn or Come taste the band, when Ozzy joined Sabbath again in the 90s they did not do any Dio songs, its the same thing.

Anyhow I thought the comeback was very worthwhile and I am not the only one who thinks that as this thread shows, listen to Anya live and how could you think that? the mans playing is something else.

But you have your opinion and I have mine, the would would be boring if we all liked the same stuff. have a great day my friend.

Archived