How come Blackmore does not get the Respect he deserves ?

lynxwizard

One of the greatest of all time IMO, sadly when you hear about the greatest guitar players his name is most often not there and it should be. You just hear Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Page ect.

In the Rolling Stone not long ago a member of the Smashing Pumkins was asked who he would like to play with the most and he said 'Ritchie Blackmore' and he rates him in the same league as Hendrix.

Blackmore has such a unique sound, when you hear him you know its him.

In America he has been pretty much forgotten, elsewere he is more popular mainly in Europe and Japan. He does not get the respect he deserves.

Blackmore is an excellent guitarist but he's not nearly as influential as Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, or Page, and his body of work just doesn't come close in stature.

I have to disagree, but thanks for your thoughts, I dont think Becks body of work comes even close

Eddie Van Halen is a great guitarist, but he doesn't belong in the same group as Hendix is in. IMO, he's a one-trick pony. He brought that tapping technique to the masses, and loads of other guitarists copied that, but what else did he bring to the world of guitar playing?

Blackmore is an excellent guitarist but he's not nearly as influential as Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, or Page, and his body of work just doesn't come close in stature.

When you say 'Body of work' are you talking about the amount of recordings or ?

Van Halen influenced a whole generation of guitarists, like him or not, that doesn't happen very often. Blackmore is awesome, IMO. But he seems to get more respect in Europe (as does Deep Purple) than here in the states. I don't think he is in the same league as Hendrix, Clapton, Page and Van Halen when it comes to influencing other guitarists though.

When you say 'Body of work' are you talking about the amount of recordings or ?

Not so much recordings as his versatility with the instrument. Look, we could argue all day who the top 10 rock guitarists of all time are. If someone wants to put Blackmore on their list that's fine with me, and like I said he's excellent but he's not on mine.

Hendrix, Clapton, Page, are still fairly well-known by today's teens but outside of the UK generally speaking they don't have the foggiest idea who Blackmore is.

I don't know, to me he seems to still be highly respected.

He has all but abandoned rock music these last 15 years. If he has fallen off the radar at all, that's probably why.

Heard a radio ad the other day while driving to work. Deep Purple is playing soon locally....with an orchestra. The radio ad starts out with the intro to Smoke On The Water calling it the most "famous riff of all time" ... and you know what? It is.

Jimmy Page and especially Tony Iommi can write amazing riffs in their sleep... but Blackmore's is "the riff"

Like Steve said most teens probably don't know who he is by name. But they know that riff.

He can come across as being a bit aloof...a grumpy bastard, not very press friendly. I suppose he just likes his privacy. He most likely could'nt care less what people think about him.

Eddie Van Halen is a great guitarist, but he doesn't belong in the same group as Hendix is in. IMO, he's a one-trick pony. He brought that tapping technique to the masses, and loads of other guitarists copied that, but what else did he bring to the world of guitar playing?

He wrote "Panama"

Bad (and really that's BAD) fashion sense aside, Blackmore's time was when guitar gods walked the earth. I think he got lost a bit in all the hoopla surrounding everybody else. Critics never cared for Purple just like they didn't care for Zeppelin or Sabbath either back then. Time has been kind to Page and Iommi, at least they finally received the respect they should have received back then, but Blackmore never really has to this day. I'm not sure why either.

Probably cos DP were more of a twin-lead band, with a neo-classical style not to everyone's taste. More often than not, IMO, his better work in DP was drowned out or unisoned with that horrible parping organ.

He was more prominent and successful in early Rainbow, IMO. If they'd carried on with the Rising/LLR&R style, maybe he would have gained greater plaudits. But unfortunately, Rainbow turned to shit.

Probably cos DP were more of a twin-lead band, with a neo-classical style not to everyone's taste. More often than not, IMO, his better work in DP was drowned out or unisoned with that horrible parping organ.

He was more prominent and successful in early Rainbow, IMO. If they'd carried on with the Rising/LLR&R style, maybe he would have gained greater plaudits. But unfortunately, Rainbow turned to shit.

Hi Bouillon,

I have just researched Richies body of work and i can say without a shadow of a doubt it is greater that Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Tony Iommi, Eric Clapton and Jeff Becks, i have always thought Richie was and is up there with the best of them and he has always been a favourite of mine giving all of the above a run for their money.

Regards, Danny

I wouldnt put his output on the level of some of these big names(although he was producing quality work for a good while) but part of the problem was is I'd say that he didnt stand out. Hendrix and Clapton were singer aswell as guitarits while Page and Townsend while part of larger bands were a very big part of those bands image. Blackmoore was much more the guitar boffin in the background by compairson leaving the likes of Gillian or Dio to be the face of the band.

Mick Taylor suffers from the same thing I'd less, ok he wasnt writting as much(although I'd guess a bit more than he's credited with) but his playing was a massive part of the Stones peak years yet he doesnt have that high a profile, heck I saw him play in a pub a decade ago.

Hi Bouillon,

I have just researched Richies body of work and i can say without a shadow of a doubt it is greater that Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Tony Iommi, Eric Clapton and Jeff Becks, i have always thought Richie was and is up there with the best of them and he has always been a favourite of mine giving all of the above a run for their money.

Regards, Danny

Where are Blackmore's "Electric Ladyland", "Physical Graffiti", "Wheels of fire" and "Blow by blow" albums?

I'd buy them...

Where are Blackmore's "Electric Ladyland", "Physical Graffiti", "Wheels of fire" and "Blow by blow" albums?

I'd buy them...

Perfect Strangers and The House of Blue Light, Deep Purple

Rainbow Rising, Rainbow

But his body of work speaks for itself, where he may not have made Classic Albums as you have quoted he has still make music for the 60s 70s 80s 90s 00s and 10s, as i said his body of work speaks for itself.

Regards, Danny

Archived