BEST TUNE OF THE NIGHT?

To all those lucky enough to attend, and for those that have had to settle for...er...other methods...what TUNE do you think the men "pulled off" the best? And for fairness sake, which tune was least successful?

Hands down best was 'Kashmir'. That one song performance took Led Zeppelin way out beyond anything I've ever seen or heard before from any other band (including Page & Plant).

None of the performances were bad, but 'Stairway To Heaven' was just weird. I really got the impression that a lot of people in the crowd (including me) really didn't want them to play it. They didn't need to, and it was very subdued and no particular roar from the crowd at the start I felt. Big singalong at the end though, so I guess a lot of people go into it, but to me it was a weirdly depressing interlude. Hard to explain.

...I guess a lot of people go into it, but to me it was a weirdly depressing interlude. Hard to explain.

Stairway has been pushed down the stairs so much (including by Plant) that they needed to kind of retake ownership of it and put it in the proper perspective, neither to ignore it nor to put it on a pedestal as the finale. So I think the way they did it was just right. They reframed the song to not be a closer, which in turn deflated the hype.

THANKS for the insights. I was not there so my thoughts are not as informed as yours,

tho from what i could tell, KASHMIR, DAZED, TSRTS sounded pretty damn good, seems like things "settled in" after SIBLY, which is my all time fave Zep tune, but I didnt really care for Jimmy's solo on that. (sorry die-hards)

What really strikes me is that this whole affair was either a really good "tribute one-off" OR

the world's most high-profile WARM-Up show in history.

...they needed to kind of retake ownership of it and put it in the proper perspective, neither to ignore it nor to put it on a pedestal as the finale. So I think the way they did it was just right. They reframed the song to not be a closer, which in turn deflated the hype.

You could well be right. I reckon that 'Kashmir' has become their signature song now anyway. I suspect it already was before the original Led Zeppelin ended. And that's a really hopeful sign for people praying for more shows, because Plant blatantly adores 'Kashmir'.

Totally agree - Stairway was a dissapointment - the dissapointment being that they even bothered - the song is done to death, has no coruses, call or response, verses - just a slow build and predicatable end. If it is played "note perfect" then, yeah, fine, brings back the old days - but LED ZEP were jamming, spontaineous, down and blues dirty. (I nearly puked when the "fans" got out their lighters etc.) Can't blame Robert for not liking it. And ditto - no one I spoke too cared for it - would have been perfectly happy to have not heard it.

The rest of the set was a feast.

OK - where to start?

Far better than any expectations... from the opening bars the energy, goodwill and bonhomie was awe inspiring. The first couple of songs the lads got into their stride - and then Black Dog...!

The next move was one of the most audacious I have ever seen - 3 songs into the set the dirty, swampy, distorted slide-guitar of "In my time of dying..." - time stood still, the hair on my neck stood up and I was well and truly blown-away. This song is deep, deep, deep. The interplay between the vocals and guitar is so real - and the song is looong. Who couls ever imagine that after 28 years, any band would attempt this? I was gone, gone, gone. Robert's voice...

And then Kasmir - OMG - transendant. It and In my time..." were the moments for me - total in the moment fusion of sonic wave and single pointed mindlessness... Oh my G(g)od(s)...

Whole lotta was great - but Rock 'n Roll was awesome... I don't think the band even realised themselves... I guess it will sink in over the next few days...

I loved "Stairway to Heaven" because it's my favorite sondg and they havent played it as a band since Bonzo died. Jimmy played it on the ARMS tour and Plant wouldn't sing it. so I think STH made everyones night because it was a surprise and it was a doubt.

they also nailed "Kashmir." they put all their songs in their place if you know what I mean.

Best Performance-Kashmir

Personal Fave-For Your Life

I think they nailed Kashmir but I don't think it was much of a stretch for them to do that because the song is pretty repetitive with not much guitar movement. I personally appreciate the more musically challenging songs even though some may not have been as tightly performed.

I loved "Stairway to Heaven" because it's my favorite sondg and they havent played it as a band since Bonzo died. Jimmy played it on the ARMS tour and Plant wouldn't sing it. so I think STH made everyones night because it was a surprise and it was a doubt.

they also nailed "Kashmir." they put all their songs in their place if you know what I mean.

They played it in 85 and 88 but they didn't play it nearly as good as they played this version.

Archived