BEST TUNE OF THE NIGHT?

"I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner was enough for me.

Mick Jones with his sticky-up hair, a singer urging us all to "yeah, sing it for me people, yeah c'mon" and a children's choir who looked as baffled as the rest of us.

Wonderful stuff. I wept openly and didn't stay for the rest of the show lest it tanish the magic.

:D:D:D

Btw, I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere:

Did Jason play with Foreigner at the O2? I would think that he did, and if so did he get a large reception from the crowd prior to the Zep set?

• 2 weeks later...

I have only heard jimmy page's bow solo live once, 88 outrider and that is something you have to hear live to truly appreciate.

A stand out on the -youtube footage is still -kashmir for me. I find myself going to -for your life and gt/bt the most when on a cable connection, so great to hear those live.

For me it was definitely Dazed and Confused.

That bow solo...absolutely blew me away. Like I said in my review, I've spent years now watching and listening to live versions of that and being in absolute awe, but that is NOTHING compared to hearing it in an arena like that. Absolutely mindblowing. Never heard anything like it in my life.

Extremely difficult to pick just one, but for me it was Kashmir...but since that's my favourite Zep song apart from Achilles Last Stand, it's a bit of a no-brainer.

However, totally agree with Caz regarding the bow section of D&C, genuinely spine-tingling, I was mentally transported back to Knebworth during those few minutes...and I second that opinion that a recording can never really capture what it's like, you have to be there!

I suppose the least interesting song for me was STH. I got bored with this ages ago due to over-exposure, but had got back into it again recently. However, I don't think they have ever really captured it on stage as well as they did in the studio, and ditto for Achilles, unfortunately.

...and as for Foreigner....when they bought in the kids choir to sing along with them I totally understood why they don't let people bring bottles or cans into the arena. hmmm...let's see, I've been waiting 28 years to see Zeppelin again...what do I really want to hear just before they come on....hmmm....

Btw, I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere:

Did Jason play with Foreigner at the O2? I would think that he did, and if so did he get a large reception from the crowd prior to the Zep set?

No, he didn't.

Best song for me--tie between IMTOD, my fave Zep song, and Kashmir--the intro is just mesmerising even on the record (I mean the CD), and that night with the whole band in front of me pounding it out it just built and built, and it was just breathtaking . . . Fabulous.

Best...In my time of dying.

Worst....Foreigner.

Best was Kashmir (what else could it be especially as RP says it, rather than STH, is the best LZ song) bur Rock and Roll came a good second.

Foreigner? What can I say? I don't have any of their albums nor have I ever been a fan but, because of Jason, I saw them in 2006 and 2007 when they played in the UK. Both nights were great nights out with some beers. Good easy music well played. But at the o2 -omg! What a disaster! I cringed for them. Sound quality was zero. Don't judge them on the o2 performance, crap as it surely was. They are no LZ but a good professional band who give a fun night out - any play more often than LZ.

I've got to say it was Kashmir. It just went out of control and was probably the nearest to seeing the real thing as I could have imagined. Better than any 75-77 bootleg. Whoever was on the "phaser" control though, you could have backed off a bit!!! Jokes!

A close second was Good Times Bad Times, only cos it was the 1st number and that's when it hit home, Where I was and what I'd wanted to see since I was 14. To be honest every track sounded great and i'm totally F***ing biased!

Kashmir was the most solid perfromance of the night.

Not sure what was second, but for me its between:

TSRTS

Since I've Been

No Quarter

Third is between:

GTBT (excellent execution by Page on the solo)

Trampled (JPJ was perfect)

For Your Life

No, he didn't.

Best song for me--tie between IMTOD, my fave Zep song, and Kashmir--the intro is just mesmerising even on the record (I mean the CD), and that night with the whole band in front of me pounding it out it just built and built, and it was just breathtaking . . . Fabulous.

That will never come across on dvd/cd...you would have to be there.

Best Tune(s) of the Night-

In My Time of Dying

For Your Life

Both of these songs at the O2 had the fire and power that live Zeppelin shows were all about in the 70's.

Both pushed you back like a whiplash, and then submerged you completely like an enormous wave.

While Kashmir and Trampled were excellent, if compared to previous live performances, for me, they were not the standouts of the evening. Not saying they were not excellent...just that they didn't cross the threshold for me in the way that certain Zeppelin songs performed live will do, if you are lucky enough to be at one of those magical shows.

Interesting was that the teleprompter during For Your Life stayed "fixed" on the song title- and was not scrolling the lyrics as the song was performed.

For me, Ramble On and Good Times Bad Times didn't play so well in the arena, but are more forgiving when reviewing the audio and video boots.

I'd have to go with Kashmir. Or maybe Dazed..

Least successful I think Good Times Bad Times.....I think the sound engineers were still getting it sorted and I'd psyched myself up for Rock n Roll to be the opener.

I was like you in thinking(for whatever reason..."it's been a long time") that Rock & Roll would be the opener....or could be something else......I personally thought that GTBT was just a genious unexpected perfect choice.....it sounded just awsome to me....first song from their first album....I always loved the sound of the song but it's almost like a "rebirthing" somehow to me. When I listen to the original studio ...off Mothership now...it's like it's a brand new song again....then non stop rolling on into Ramble On....holy shit it was good.

Archived