Bert Jansch Dead

henrybonzo

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/59611

Bert Jansch has died, according to online reports.

The legendary Scottish folk musician had been suffering from lung cancer over the past couple of years and according to widespread reports this morning (October 5), has now lost his battle with the disease. NME is awaiting confirmation of his death.

Jansch cancelled a scheduled gig in Edinburgh in August, with a statement on his official website saying he was "unwell" and set to spend "at least" one week in hospital.

A founding member of '60s/'70s folk rock band Pentangle, Jansch made his live comeback last year after battling back from cancer, playing a co-headlining US tour with Neil Young. He also played at Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival last year.

A virtuoso acoustic guitar player, the 67-year-old is widely considered to have influenced the likes of Jimmy Page, Johnny Marr, Graham Coxon and Pete Doherty, with whom he has collaborated live.

Meanwhile, Coxon once told Uncut: "I'm not as good as him, but I'm a huge fan of Bert Jansch."

Rest in Peace and Many thanks to Bert Jansch.

I'm deeply saddened by this news. I had the honor and the pleasure of seeing Bert play an opening set at one of Neil Young's concerts last year. I think Bert's cancer must have been in remission but I thought at the time he had conquered it as he was so alive and so fluent and so brilliant on stage. His performance was magical. One of the most amazing nights of music I've ever experienced. I recognized several younger area guitarists in the audience and I think they were amazed and spellbound as well. In addition to his influence on JP and LZ, Bert had a tremendous influence on Neil Young and Buffalo Springfield. Neil has identified Bert as one of his music heroes and once described Bert as the Jimi Hendrix of the acoustic guitar. In recent years Bert has appeared with both Neil and Pegi and has played at Neil's Bridge School Benefit too. I think the song I've posted here, "Needle of Death" influenced Neil's "The Needle and the Damage Done." I feel strangely heartbroken about Bert's passing, even though I didn't know him personally.

Rest in Peace and Many thanks to Bert Jansch.

I'm deeply saddened by this news. I had the honor and the pleasure of seeing Bert play an opening set at one of Neil Young's concerts last year. I think Bert's cancer must have been in remission but I thought at the time he had conquered it as he was so alive and so fluent and so brilliant on stage. His performance was magical. One of the most amazing nights of music I've ever experienced. I recognized several younger area guitarists in the audience and I think they were amazed and spellbound as well. In addition to his influence on JP and LZ, Bert had a tremendous influence on Neil Young and Buffalo Springfield. Neil has identified Bert as one of his music heroes and once described Bert as the Jimi Hendrix of the acoustic guitar. In recent years Bert has appeared with both Neil and Pegi and has played at Neil's Bridge School Benefit too. I think the song I've posted here, "Needle of Death" influenced Neil's "The Needle and the Damage Done." I feel strangely heartbroken about Bert's passing, even though I didn't know him personally.

Very sweet, MSG. So amazing how people we've never met can become so much a part of us.

This is very sad news. He has left us with his very beautiful guitar work and vast influence. I agree with you Black-Dog our legends seem to leave his too early, time is such an elusive thing. Jimmy has always admired him and his influence is heard in a number of Zeppelin tunes his music a lovely legacy. R.I.P Bert.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/10/05/scottish-folk-guitarist-bert-jansch-dead-at-67/?mod=google_news_blog

Well, damn. :(

Bert Jansch is L-E-G-E-N-D, LEGEND.

Becoming a Led Zeppelin fan eventually led me to discover the two main inspirations for Jimmy Page's acoustic style: Davy Graham and Bert Jansch. Although I never got a chance to see Davy Graham in concert, I was fortunate enough to catch Bert Jansch live several times, and each time was a revelation.

I missed seeing him last year open for Neil Young, however, and now there will be no "next time". Bert has joined Davy...but their music lives on, to hopefully be discovered and treasured by succeeding generations to come.

Rest in peace, Bert Jansch.

Very sweet, MSG. So amazing how people we've never met can become so much a part of us.

...indeed, warm feelings expressed by MSG, may his soul rest in piece, it is always difficult to see talented influential musicians bid farewell.........

Rest in peace, Bert Jansch. :(

Toy Balloon

by Bert Jansch

"I'm a toy balloon

On a windy day

Let go the string, babe

I'll blow away...

Up over the chimney top.

Just floating in the hot sum-mer rain

If I come to land

Only God knows

Where or when

It 'll be, little one.

Will you remember me?"

The answer is a resounding "yes".

I agree with you Black-Dog our legends seem to leave his too early, time is such an elusive thing.

Anytime we lose someone it's obviously a very sad thing but it's not like Bert was a young man who had the rest of his life snatched away from him, he was 67 years old. He lived a very long and fruitful life.

Anytime we lose someone it's obviously a very sad thing but it's not like Bert was a young man who had the rest of his life snatched away from him, he was 67 years old. He lived a very long and fruitful life.

If you think 67 years was a "very long" life, then you're younger than I thought! In a perfect (or at least, cancer-free) world, he would have had decades more to live, and I wish he had. Those who said it was too soon had it right.

If you think 67 years was a "very long" life, then you're younger than I thought! In a perfect (or at least, cancer-free) world, he would have had decades more to live, and I wish he had. Those who said it was too soon had it right.

It's not like he was a young man that had his life snatched away from him. That was my point.

Archived