Hurricane Sandy

Walter

Growing up just north of the city, Seaside Heights and Point Pleasant NJ was a summer ritual....a rite of passage for so many of us in the tri state area, enjoying the freedom of our teens. Partying on the shore and hitting the boardwalk to win Zeppelin, Rush and all the other rock band paraphernalia that was so abundant in the early thru the late 80’s. To see what has happened there is devastating to so many who have that area sewn into the fabric of their youth. I can’t begin to imagine what it’s like for the relatively few year round residents of towns like Sandy Hook, Seaside, LBI, Atlantic City, Point Pleasant, Wildwood…….it’s just shocking….I’m in total disbelief.

tumblr_mcpiytHydW1qzcxrno1_500.png2153_3880473726465_1469570445_n.jpg

Last time I saw devastation on this scale was Katrina! Believe me, the pictures don't come anything close to seeing the damage first hand. My heart goes out to all who are having to live through this nightmare, but life will slowly but surely return to normal and this too shall pass.

Sorry you have lost your power. We did all night last night. Makes you wonder sitting there in the candlelight what it must have been like to live 100 years ago and longer? I almost went and started playing my guitar but wind was so damn loud. So you have a generator? I have mulled over buying one. My friend wants to install a natural gas one but those cost alot more and you cant take them with you if you move. I think the old gas ones are fine. But I dont know if I will go into the service or dryer or where I would connect it here? I dont have to worry about it now as we are back up. but that can change fast. Good luck buddy

Sorry I bumped your post Strider.

YAY! Power's back on! About 42 hours without power.

We need a generator out here. No municipal water, it's all from wells. And if the power is out, now you don't have water. So OK, I can buy bottled water, but flush the toilet maybe twice, and now you are OUT of water! How fast before the bathrooms get ...err... nasty! Not fun!

So we got the generator, it's one on wheels, I just pull it out of the shed. I ran some 10/3 electric cable from my service entrance to the outside, and had an electrician finish it up for me, with an "interlock kit" on the service entrance. One cable from the generator to an outlet on the outside of your house, and the whole house is powered up! Very nice!

We had a few gusts that actually made the house shudder...you could hear the wind ramping up from small...to bigger...to huge...to MASSIVE, and you'd just cringe as it went along until it would stop. Then it would start the cycle again!

Glad everyone else made it through this. I hope NYC and NJ come back quickly!

YAY! Power's back on! About 42 hours without power.

We need a generator out here. No municipal water, it's all from wells. And if the power is out, now you don't have water. So OK, I can buy bottled water, but flush the toilet maybe twice, and now you are OUT of water! How fast before the bathrooms get ...err... nasty! Not fun!

So we got the generator, it's one on wheels, I just pull it out of the shed. I ran some 10/3 electric cable from my service entrance to the outside, and had an electrician finish it up for me, with an "interlock kit" on the service entrance. One cable from the generator to an outlet on the outside of your house, and the whole house is powered up! Very nice!

We had a few gusts that actually made the house shudder...you could hear the wind ramping up from small...to bigger...to huge...to MASSIVE, and you'd just cringe as it went along until it would stop. Then it would start the cycle again!

Glad everyone else made it through this. I hope NYC and NJ come back quickly!

I am worried about my daughter and husband. They are in Hoboken New Jersey. One of the worst hit. No power. so you went out and bought a generator? I have mulled over doing it for so long now. I may just do it one of thse days. So you got a gas one? I have used those. when I used to rent the landlord brought it over. My neighbor has one and says he would hook us in if it had not been solved. So i hear you can go right into the dryer or refrigerator inlet to run the circuit and power the whole house? Why did you have him put in a special connector to the service? Fire safety? If you dont mind me asking did it cost between $500 and $700? Some you can get for as little as $350 refurbished? The bigger ones will obviously power more.

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Crazy.....just horrific.....

(CBS News) There is much more than water damage in New York City in the wake of superstorm Sandy. There was a devastating fire on the Rockaway Peninsula where much of a neighborhood burned down early Tuesday morning. The blaze left 111 homes burned to the ground, 20 more were heavily damaged.

Not a single building on Breezy Point, Queens, has been left unscathed - first by the storm surge that rolled in and battered the community and then by the fire that ravaged blocks and blocks of homes on the barrier island.

post-841-0-84647000-1351733119_thumb.jpe

post-841-0-68721600-1351733167_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-69990100-1351733183_thumb.jpg

My daughter is in Hoboken NJ. The worst hit place. I am really starting to worry. I hope they can make it to her husbands parents place in Chester NJ.? But no transportation and the roads are flooded.

LedZeppfan77, I hope your daughter's ok! You said she's with her husband? That's good that she has someone with her. Are they trying to rescue people there and get them out? National Guard? Coast Guard? Please keep us posted.

LedZeppfan77, I hope your daughter's ok! You said she's with her husband? That's good that she has someone with her. Are they trying to rescue people there and get them out? National Guard? Coast Guard? Please keep us posted.

Somehow she made it to her hustbands office and was able to email everyone. They are ok but no power. At least they are doing everythinig they can. I see the game in Brookyn was canceled.

Somehow she made it to her hustbands office and was able to email everyone. They are ok but no power. At least they are doing everythinig they can. I see the game in Brookyn was canceled.

I know you must be relived to have heard from her. Glad she's Ok.

That's great news Rick :) .

Yes thanks. But I do not know how they are getting around.

Glad your daughter is safe and that she was able to email you!

The National Guard was rescuing the stranded by ferry earlier in the week. And volunteers also brought their own boats to help evacuate people. I do have a friend in Hoboken and while she has no power, she has said some of the water has started to recede in a quick FB update.

Lots of us in the "power" zone are taking in refugees from other spots so you can be assured that your daughter has friends or co-workers who are making sure she isn't without food, water, and shelter! Hoboken is such a close and caring community so I know they're helping each other!

Here's a great photo from Twitter that illustrates that.

This is awesome- the one block in Hoboken w/ power has put out outlets for residents to charge their phones. Amazing. pic.twitter.com/mJDyHv7d

— Brendan Prunty (@BrendanPrunty)

October 31, 2012

He also noted that he came out of his apt last night and someone was playing "Amazing Grace" on their bagpipes. It's those little things that can lift our spirits.

And here's a site you might want to follow- it will give you updates until you hear from her again. Best to you.

http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ssf/2012/11/hoboken_mayor_hopeful_power_wi.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Glad your daughter is safe and that she was able to email you!

The National Guard was rescuing the stranded by ferry earlier in the week. And volunteers also brought their own boats to help evacuate people. I do have a friend in Hoboken and while she has no power, she has said some of the water has started to recede in a quick FB update.

Lots of us in the "power" zone are taking in refugees from other spots so you can be assured that your daughter has friends or co-workers who are making sure she isn't without food, water, and shelter! Hoboken is such a close and caring community so I know they're helping each other!

Here's a great photo from Twitter that illustrates that.

https://twitter.com/...5980289/photo/1

He also noted that he came out of his apt last night and someone was playing "Amazing Grace" on their bagpipes. It's those little things that can lift our spirits.

And here's a site you might want to follow- it will give you updates until you hear from her again. Best to you.

http://www.nj.com/ho..._medium=twitter

Thanks for your concern and the links. Her in laws are in a place called Chester NJ. But they dont have cars, as they have no use for one there. So I guess they could have gotten a taxi had the roads been drivable? But they are in Hoboken. Somehow she made it to her husbands office somewhere in Manhattan I believe? Not sure exactly where. They can have that place. I will stay in western upstate NY where I have always been.

Thanks for your concern and the links.

Hard to know but if they were ferried out and his office had power it must have been above 40th street in Manhattan where taxis were somewhat available post-storm. (Yes, very few people have a car- I don't- as it isn't necessary.) Subways are running now above 40th street but still it's difficult for many people in different parts of the Tri-State area. Hope you hear from her again, soon!

My daughter is in Hoboken NJ. The worst hit place. I am really starting to worry. I hope they can make it to her husbands parents place in Chester NJ.? But no transportation and the roads are flooded.

So glad your daughter is ok and that she is able to communicate with you! You must just want to go get her and take them home!!