For the Big fans of zep...

jadester48

Why on earth have the remaining original members of zep not released a huge-ass cd collection of studio outtakes for the big fans? I can understand not releasing live shows, as there're so many and the sound quality varies so much, but with outtakes, i just cannot understand it. I have to make do with buying/obtaining in other ways all these bootlegs. But if an official collection were released (even if it ran to 20+ cds) i would get rid of all my bootlegs and buy the official ones

Some other bands/solo artists have released outtakes and demos recently, and they seem to have gained a bit of standing as being worthy of official releases, at least for the bigger artists. We all know led zeppelin are cetainly big enough to make such a release worthwhile.

Well, i don't expect any official movement on this, i have seen all the zep members' mention of bootlegs and they are dead against all forms. Still, it puzzles me as to why they woulod deprive the bigger fans of such an interesting release

I think they will be released "officially".....sadly for us, and even sadder for them, it'll more than likely be posthumously. Page considers his session tracks to be early personal sketches of what would later become incredible huge virbrant paintings. Most "artists" guard these types of things. They are not intended to ever be heard. That's also what has pissed off Page more than anything....having had outtakes from the entire span of his career since joining the Yardbirs in the hands of the public...be it traders/collectors/or bootleggers. I tend to agree with him..and there are even Zep sites that cater to boots that will not allow outtakes on principle...(but I could'nt help myself and had to hear/have them). But still, I would'nt expect to see an official one anytime soon....or (hopefully) for a long time.

it would be neat though...especially if they did a remaining member "treatment" to some unknown song isolated Bonzo track...ala the Beatles Free As A Bird.

This is EXACTLY why I think that the music industry should adapt Blu-Ray discs as a new audio format so that it will have the storage capabilities for loads of things such as this! I think each studio l.p. should be released on a Blu-Ray disc that would have all of these unreleased things including interviews old and new, documentary on the project, short promotional films (whatever music videos), 5.1, stereo, alternative versions of some songs, and great new packaging. No reason to make this all a seperate release for the original studio l.p.s as they would not sell as well as the individual l.p.s AND the music industry are going to be in desperate need for the public to buy music again...

The thing is though, how much unreleased studio material do the band have left in their archives?

I know Page has previously hinted at several LZ IV outtakes, but beyond that?

It was my understanding (and feel free to correct me here) that when a number of tapes were stolen from Page's residence, these tapes included the outtakes which have since appeared ad infinitum on various bootlegs... :unsure:

I think that this should be a kind of standard for the industry to do with Blu-Ray discs. The extra stuff aside from the original studio l.p. would all be bonus material. Considering that there has been a ten c.d. bootleg I would say that consitutes the possibility of a number of things. I have believed for a while now that there is more in the vaults than we are led to believe. The denials are all about marketing people.

Hi all,

Why on earth have the remaining original members of zep not released a huge-ass cd collection of studio outtakes for the big fans? I can understand not releasing live shows, as there're so many and the sound quality varies so much, but with outtakes, i just cannot understand it. I have to make do with buying/obtaining in other ways all these bootlegs. But if an official collection were released (even if it ran to 20+ cds) i would get rid of all my bootlegs and buy the official ones

Some other bands/solo artists have released outtakes and demos recently, and they seem to have gained a bit of standing as being worthy of official releases, at least for the bigger artists. We all know led zeppelin are cetainly big enough to make such a release worthwhile.

Well, i don't expect any official movement on this, i have seen all the zep members' mention of bootlegs and they are dead against all forms. Still, it puzzles me as to why they woulod deprive the bigger fans of such an interesting release

Well there is a reason why these out takes and there are a few,never made the albums or saw the light of day,...........

I read somewhere that during sound checks Zep played Elvis gold,his #1's,now that is what I want to hear! :yay:

"Er, Mr. Grant? Don't sit on my dad,....?" :D

KB

'

I have a hard time imagining JP the Perfectionist putting his stamp of approval in this.

I agree, and that's why I agree with Honeydripper who said he sees this kind of thing coming out post-posthumously. This is the kind of thing that would reap a big pay day, which means it's a target for an eventual release. Expect this kind of thing to happen after the band members are gone.

While I agree an outtakes album is very unlikey I wouldnt be shocked to see the classic albums remastered again with a few additional bonus trackes included. That might be the best way aswell if you ask me as I'v only ever found a small perentage of the outakes espeically interesting, the early version of In The Light/Morning, the complete All My Love etc.

Can I finish loading my trunk and get back to you?

:hysterical:

Seriously... I wouldn't want to see some of the sessions officially released. However, there are some songs that have never been officially released at all in any form that I would like to see released:

-If a studio recording of Train Kept-A' Rollin' existed, that would be amazing

-Jennings Farm Blues

-The Blues Medley that turned into Hats Off to (Roy) Harper

-Slush

-The Hook

-Swan Song

-The no-name instrumentals... there's so much...

:hysterical:

Seriously... I wouldn't want to see some of the sessions officially released. However, there are some songs that have never been officially released at all in any form that I would like to see released:

-If a studio recording of Train Kept-A' Rollin' existed, that would be amazing

-Jennings Farm Blues

-The Blues Medley that turned into Hats Off to (Roy) Harper

-Slush

-The Hook

-Swan Song

-The no-name instrumentals... there's so much...

One problem for most of this:

Many of these tapes were stolen from Page's house, hence how we know they exist. Now, how can he release something he doesn't have anymore?

One problem for most of this:

Many of these tapes were stolen from Page's house, hence how we know they exist. Now, how can he release something he doesn't have anymore?

sounds like the ultimate payback to me. I'm sure he collects boots, so I bet he got them back in some capacity. But if it's not the same quality, then he probably wouldn't release it.

What is a big fan... is it something more than someone who likes LZ, some kind of exclusive club that you have to pass some kind of test to gain membership to ?

What is a big fan... is it something more than someone who likes LZ, some kind of exclusive club that you have to pass some kind of test to gain membership to ?

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!

A big fan... someone who has and enjoys studio outtakes, perchance?

This is tongue in cheek right? I wouldn't get too sensitive over this. Its self selective. If you join a band's website and post at least on a semi regular basis that pretty much makes you a big fan.

Some other bands/solo artists have released outtakes and demos recently, and they seem to have gained a bit of standing as being worthy of official releases, at least for the bigger artists.

You might be referring to U2. The Joshua Tree 20 year anniversary deluxe edition contains a CD with outtakes. While they are good, you can see why they were left off the album.

Incidentally U2 plans on re-releasing commemorative editions of their past albums and will include outtakes. I know somebody in the Zep camp must be thinking about this also. All in good time.

This is tongue in cheek right? I wouldn't get too sensitive over this. Its self selective. If you join a band's website and post at least on a semi regular basis that pretty much makes you a big fan.

Ha Ha......... of course......... just forgot to put the lol.

I believe that most of the music industry will be opening up their vaults and doing this type of thing in the next few years to come...and on Blu-Ray. Why? Because Blu-Ray has the storage capabilities that c.d., d.v.d., and H.D.-D.V.D. do not. The music industry will need a platform to sell music again than just songs individually on the internet.

Anybody that wants to hear the DISCARDED junk, has probably got it already.

ANYTHING of any value has already been released.

Universal statements eh?

I'm sure there's plenty of value in music that hasn't gone through it's final transformation yet.

Songs are like people--they grow and change.

Studio outtakes are like looking through a photo album of a song's life. Maybe there's not a continuous picture of the song everyday before it was released, but there are snapshots out there.

These snapshots can have value to anyone who is interested in the music process or writing music themselves.

it would be neat though...especially if they did a remaining member "treatment" to some unknown song isolated Bonzo track...ala the Beatles Free As A Bird.

That's a terrible idea. Think how feeble "Free As A Bird" was. I can't think of a better way to ruin the Zep's largely untarnished legacy. You'll be asking John Robie* to do a remix next... :unsure:

*For the uninitiated, John Robie was an '80s DJ from New York who remixed several of New Order's best singles in the period 1985-87 - to terrible effect. A number of fans took to wearing "JOHN ROBIE MUST DIE" T-shirts at the time.

Okk...tons of unreleased stuff out there..with assistance of a high grade computer (this is from a good friend of mine) and lots of patience, some not so sounding unreleased live tracks can sound very good. the 4-27-69 concert is just AMAZING. although i'm not a big fan of their 20+ minute live jams, there are several good quality sounding material on the 2 disc set. from my understanding someone simply took several recordings of that show, simply took the best bits out of each and put it all together to come up with the best possible sound. the excuse "master tapes are lost" bla bla may have applied 10 years ago, but with high end technology and someone who knows what they're doing..i'm sure with a lot of time and patience all of their unreleased material, live or not, can sound very good. BBC Sessions was great, but the sound was not exactly "pure." very close for its age and time kept away in the vaults but not completely crisp. (love the way it sounds though in my opinion). Page may not have the patience for the process, but neither did Richard Donner for his cut of Superman II...and that came out great. ok just thoughts yo..

-may a black dog wander around everyone's yard.

Archived